Shawn in NY

Shawn

In NY til Sunday 6am on business

Saturday is free for sure-maybe friday night

Want to pay my respects to those at the WTC

See the Statue of Liberty

Go to the top of Empire State...

What else would you do with limited time?

Shawn

If you have time, go to the MET. I spent one whole day there, and it was the most enjoyable of my NY experience.

Skip the tours and just wander around. They had a weapons and armor exhibit there when I was there.

The shops were WAY overpriced, TISINC seem reasonable by comparison.

Have Fun!

Eat some hot dogs. Go to the Met. Take a picture of your hand doing the "West Side" gangsta sign over NYC at the top of the Empire State Building. Get drunk at trendy bars and make a fool of yourself. Watch a friend throw up milk on the street at 3 a.m. after drinking all night. Eat more hot dogs. Take a walk in Central Park, if you're a real man you'll do it late at night. Go to Chinatown and bargain for crap you don't want. Go to Little Italy and eat.

All things I did on my trip to NYC last year with my college newspaper crew. :D

In NY til Sunday 6am on business

Saturday is free for sure-maybe friday night

Want to pay my respects to those at the WTC

See the Statue of Liberty

Go to the top of Empire State...

What else would you do with limited time?

Shawn

Yeah,

Go to the bar at the Hudson... Largest collection of perfect looking women I have ever seen in my life.

http://www.hudsonhotel.com/hudson_hotel_hudson_bar.html

I would absolutely postively make sure to see the carrier Intrepid. If you're going to the WTC, it's not too far away AFAIK. Intrepid's collection of planes rivals that of the Smithsonian IMHO for "coolness".

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Edited by David Hingtgen

The Intrepid is really cool, although it is a bit of a walk from WTC. Best to take the subway over towards Times Square and walk from there.

If you have a chance, go to McSorley's bar on the lower east side. They have two kinds of beer, Light or Dark!!! :lol: It's a pretty loud place and it's small, but a neat experience.

-Jeff Sorley (now you see why I like that bar so much!)

If you enjoy fine foods, NYC also has a lot to offer.

La Mela on Mulberry off Canal (in Little Italy) is a home-style Italian place, their motto is "Sit down, eat, and shut up!" since you don't order when you go in, they just serve you what's the flavor of the day (runs a full course of appetizer, pasta, meat, etc...). There's the oh-so-naughty light-up penis that all restaurant goers love to play around with... give it a pull and watch ppl around you chuckle!

Veniero's at 11th and 1st (or 2nd?) Ave. has the world's best cheesecake. Get the New York traditional (none of the strawberries or marble crap) and some canoles.

Lombardi's on Spring between Mott and Mulberry has the world's best pizza.

There's Cozy Soup 'n' Burger, my old college hangout (Broadway around University, ask the local NYU population, they'll be able to direct you). Decent heart-attack inducing burgers and french onion soup.

For Korean food, go to K-town, the strip of restaurants on 32nd between Fifth and Broadway, pick one and enjoy.

For Japanese food there's a huge selection on St. Mark's, Stuyvesant, and 9th St.

Otafuku, 236 E. 9th St, serves up some of the best takoyaki and okonomiyaki I know of.

Pomme Frites, 123 2nd Ave (btwn 7th St.) and St. Mark's, has good Belgian fries. Be sure to ask for War Sauce!!

Hoomoos Asli on Kenmare btwn Lafayette and Mulberry has some very good Middle Eastern cuisine.

Hot Dogs. There are two: Coney Island dogs, or Gray's Papaya (71st and Amsterdam). Or you could just be a man and get a streetside dog :-p

For stuff to do:

In Brooklyn, there's a little known NYC transit museum (Boerum and Schermerhorn, take F to Jay and Tillary and ask the MTA ppl for directions), all the subway carriages from the very beginning parked in an old subway station. Much better than the one at Grand Central IMHO.

After, a walk across Brooklyn Bridge, preferablly towards Manhattan. After you cross you can swing by J&R, then WTC.

There's the "Only in NYC" Museum of Sex :D

Met and Intrepid have some of the most impressive pieces on display, go if you can.

The Cloisters, an annex of the Met, is good for Medieval history buffs.

There's B&H Photo Video store, 33rd and 9th, which is sorta nearby the Intrepid. Their map HERE is also a pretty good reference for Midtown Manhattan.

OtakuDen is also in the NYU area, 732 Broadway, 2nd Floor. They run a good enough shop.

You can go to Strand, largest used books store, Broadway btwn 13 and 12, right by Forbidden Planet.

St. John the Divine, cathedral-in-construction, Amsterdam btwn 111 and 112 is quite a sight. Completed, it could be the world's largest cathedral.

St. Patrick's, Madison btwn 50 and 51st, also a place of worship.

If you're into Jazz, there's the Blue Note bar downtown and Smoke up in Harlem. I think Bobby Short is still performing at the Cafe Carlyle, not sure though.

For all the places I mentioned, and if you want to explore, there's always Citysearch.com.

Have fun in NYC!

Edited by Akilae

I guess I am a lousy tourist. I always try to go to the best restaurants and drinking establishments (and of course I nail hot women when I am single). I never go to see sights. I can look at that crap in the Airplane magazine.

Lombardi's on Spring between Mott and Mulberry has the world's best pizza.

Wrong!

Mundaring Weir in Western Australia has the World's Best Pizza. Theo has been crowned World Champion.

Wrong!

Mundaring Weir in Western Australia has the World's Best Pizza. Theo has been crowned World Champion.

lol, try telling that to any New Yorker. But let's not start the Pizza Wars again, shall we? :D

:huh: Pizza Wars? Have I missed something?

museum of natural history

bryant park right bear the library... where you can watch the national debt billboard go up millions while drinking a cup of coffee.

intrepid is cool. Does it still have the sr-71?

empire state building, statue of liberty, etc

just don't buy a street hot dog :rolleyes:

Wrong!

lol, try telling that to any New Yorker. But let's not start the Pizza Wars again, shall we? :D

:huh: Pizza Wars? Have I missed something?

Just this B))

Quickest way to get a New Yorker into an argument: talk about Republicans, or ask for his/her favourite pizzaria (usually it's either Lombardi's or Pat's) and disagree, lol.

you could always pay me a visit at 121st and amsterdam. :)

or you could get ahold of haterist in washington heights.

seriously though, i'd recommend the following:

1. chinatown. cheap food, cheap macross DVDs (pirated and non-pirated)

2. Image Anime, at 30th street leaning over to the east side. their prices are crappy but you'll meet interesting modelers/japanimation fans there. the guy has a pretty nice macross collection on display as well. he's not going to sell his YF-19s, sadly :(

http://www.imageanime.com for more information.

3. The Compleat Strategist. Forgot where this place is, but it is the last word in NY modelling (I think).

4. ToysRus. you might get lucky. swindle, grimlock, windcharger, ravage were all available last i checked. the 3 for 2 energon sale isn't on any more though, sadly.

don't forget to take a manhattan cab at least once! you'll never forget the experience. :)

If you've read Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code,

check out 243 Lexington Ave - - The Opus Dei American Headquarters.

I happened to walk by it, the street was deserted and some guy was looking at me through the window after I took this: :D

post-26-1111648486_thumb.jpg

Stage Deli - get the Cheesecake. Hit the Yankees Clubhouse store. Mickey Mantle's has great onion rings.

I think I may swing by where you are staying, take you back to my house, and have my way with you.

I think I may swing by where you are staying, take you back to my house, and have my way with you.

Be careful, you might make Agent One jealous :p .

It's pretty dangerous making anybody who looks like a giant tomato angry! Ever seen the movie 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes'? :lol:

Graham

Nitpick:

The Intrepid has an A-12, not an SR-71. There actually are rather few SR-71's on display, 9 out of 10 "SR-71's" are actually A-12's. Even otherwise "accurate" museums will proudly put up a big "SR-71" plaque next to their A-12, figuring nobody would notice, and since the A-12 has almost no name recognition. And don't think it'll ever move, it was a heck of a job to get it on board in the first place.

The only real true SR-71 on display I can think of right now is the one that was at Offutt, and is now roughly in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska. :) Maybe the new Dulles part of the NASM has one. (Actually I think they do, probably the one that did the final record-setting flight).

Shawn is a legend, a myth. Some say he was once real, others say he never really existed, a figment of the imagination as it were. :D

What is known is that he went MIA years ago, rumoured to have been kidnapped by those dastardly blaggards at Harmony Gold and their evil henchmen, the Row-Boat-Techies.

There are those that claim to have sighted Shawn in the years since his disappearance, but much like the ledgendary Yeti or Loch Ness Monster, those sightings remain unconfirmed.

Other schools of thought put forth that Shawn is actually not a human being and is in fact the name of the Macrossworld A.I. server.

Graham

Joe's Shanghai. Go to Mott and pell intersection, head west, it's about halfway down the block. Get the dumplings, it's the specialty, and the Pork Chops are also very good. (The ones that come with seasoning or pepper or something on the side)

Carnegie Deli is also very worth going to.

Personally, I'm also beyond the tourist stage with New York. Anywhere I go, be it around here, NY, or even Rome or London, I try to conduct myself as much like a normal citizen as possible. It's especially important when I'm with my folks, of course, as they're so LA they can hardly hail a cab in the city. I go to New York to eat, and on occasion, buy things. (Wouldn't exactly call it shopping, more like I know exactly what I need and go there to get it) Catch an event or a show or whatever once in a while, too. But the eating's the priority. So I guess that's one policy AgentOne and I have in common.

Edited by Commander McBride

Sorry Shawn, as a native New Yorker I am obligatorily clueless as to what to do here. If by chance though you happen to be visiting either Forbidden Planet (NYC's best comic book store) or The Strand (the WORLD'S biggest used book store - 16 miles of book shelves and counting!) either today or Friday, drop me a line - I work upstairs from these 2....

Oh, and be sure to hit the Greenwich Village bars tomorrow night - quite a scene...

Okay fine, and some additional: The Museum of Natural History on 85th is world-famous, and easily a full day - catch the planetarium show! If you're into theater, a Broadway show is a no-brainer - there's a booth called TKTS on the traffic island at 47th and broadway - they open at 3PM, and sell half-price day-of tickets for whatever hasn't sold out yet for that night -- a great deal! And of course, like others have mentioned, the Met, the Guggenheim, the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)..... and yes, the Compleat Strategist (at 11 East 33rd Street) IS the coolest gaming store EVER....

Edited by Doktor Gonzo