Quick question about Star Trek

stram8777

Talk to trekkies, some say they actually do represent different shipboard functions, but mostly it is because in the original series they used bright colors to justify filming in color. If everyone wore the same color uniform, or all the ship interiors were the same color scheme they would never have been given the funds for the more expensive color film. Even Enterprise maintains that tradition, albeit more subtly, with the blue jump suits all having colored piping. To date the only trek uniforms I have liked have been on Enterprise and in the movies, Kahn and after, except for the bell bottoms.

Good thinking but then why did Kirk always wear yellow in the original series, and all the guys in red shirts got wasted? TOS=> red = dead

In the old days, red = cannon fodder.

As stated:

Gold=command/astrogation

Blue=science/medicine

Red=security/engineering/death wish

In the Next gen:

Gold=operations/death wish

Blue=science/medicine

Red=command

I believe DS9 and Voyager used the same as ST:TNG. I remeber that alot of people had non unifmorm outfits in DS9 tho.... maybe. It's been a whle. Just remember that Red Shirts are like Cannon Fodders in the first one.... that show went thru Red Shirts like potato chips. :lol:

I believe DS9 and Voyager used the same as ST:TNG. I remeber that alot of people had non unifmorm outfits in DS9 tho.... maybe. It's been a whle. Just remember that Red Shirts are like Cannon Fodders in the first one.... that show went thru Red Shirts like potato chips. :lol:

ds9 and voyager used the low-vis inverted colors to the tng suits.

Good thinking but then why did Kirk always wear yellow in the original series, and all the guys in red shirts got wasted?  TOS=> red = dead

Or Scotty.

scotty was going to die anyways all the drinking he does

Good thinking but then why did Kirk always wear yellow in the original series, and all the guys in red shirts got wasted?  TOS=> red = dead

Or Scotty.

He outlived Kirk.

Or Scotty.

He outlived Kirk.

Yeah, but he couldn't yodel. :lol:

The TOS movies' uniforms (II-VI) were the best ones IMO.

Yup, movie II-VI uniforms were the best.

I always thought the TOS colors made more sense than the TNG, though I do wonder if there's a side story for the switch...

What about that goofy tunic Kirk wore on occasion? Don't get me wrong, I'm not far from being a Trekkie, so I'm a little ashamed I've never known.

Oh, don't forget that Laverne & Shirley introduced an off-camera Star Trek uniform color in one of their later episodes:

Purple=Janitor :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(By the great Gods, I have no life...)

Edited by Yang_Neumann

I always thought the TOS colors made more sense than the TNG, though I do wonder if there's a side story for the switch...

I remember reading that it was a simple case of Patrick Stewart looking better in red than mustard yellow.

I remember reading that it was a simple case of Patrick Stewart looking better in red than mustard yellow.

that......seems logical.