Max's shot in DYRL?

Lightning

hey everyone, i was watchin DYRL? and i figured out how max had his gunpod for when he capped that poor Zentraldi in the face! he already had his gunpod flipped around so the barrels were the way his arm was facing! (gettin a screen shot in a second)

EDIT: i couldnt get a screenie, but i have the time frame it happens in. it happens in 7min 56-57 secs in the movie. (if u move it forward frame by frame you'll see it and a color mistake! max's blue becomes Hikaru's red for about three frames)

The only thing that bugged me about that bit is that Max's gun would have to have been pointing backwards in fighter mode for the gunpod to be on the arm like that.

The only thing that bugged me about that bit is that Max's gun would have to have been pointing backwards in fighter mode for the gunpod to be on the arm like that.

True, when we first see Max after Hikaru tells him they are all his, Max has just swept the legs forward while in fighter mode, and the arms are not deployed.

So, I think we have to assume that he stowed it that way at some point before, or shortly after he switched to Battroid mode. It's unclear from the rapid frames whether or not Max went to GERWALK before going to Battroid. Either way, it's irrelevant since he obviously would have had to have stowed the GU-11 that way himself.

Besides, from a combat perspective, why wouldn't you stow it that way?. Any way you can stow the weapon so that it comes to bear on your enemy quicker is better. And the way he had it stowed, he could do exactly what he did if he got involved in a hand to hand situation (which he did).

Edited by Mechamaniac

There is another option, he could have shot him in the head with one of those forearm missiles. I can't tell from the screen capture but you can't really tell if it was the gun that went off or a missile.

Well the gunpod opening, as seen in the animation above (I never noticed this detail before!) would seem to indicate it was the gunpod...

I just chalk it up as a bit of flare. Why would Max purposely mount it that way on the arm? Wouldn't be better to use the gunpod as intended in the hand? Ignoring how silly making the gunpod go to the hands in the first place is, except for looking cool, that is... ;)

Yeah, you can actually see the gunpod open, and fire as Max pulls away. It's nifty.

Here's a quick little animation I threw together from some screen caps, enjoy!

maxdeath.gif

yea, JsARCLIGHT and i were trying to get screen caps but we couldnt get any...but a question pops up: how did he get the gunpod turned around so fast?

yea, JsARCLIGHT and i were trying to get screen caps but we couldnt get any...but a question pops up: how did he get the gunpod turned around so fast?

As I said earlier, he must have stowed it that way at some point between Fighter and GERWALK. We don't see him inbetween these two scenes, so you have to assume.

Either that, or the attachment point on the forearm swivels at the pilot's command?

Edited by Mechamaniac

Obviously Max realized there was a high chance of engaging in hand to hand combat and had his gunpod mounted backwars before launch. I'm sure someone probably pointed this out to him to which he likely replied, "hey, we have the RoV-20 laser in the head for a reason, it can be used in fighter mode." It's likely that when Max returned to fighter mode that automatic protcols forced him to remount the gun as normal, but it gave him a good first hand to hand surprise, lets face it who would expect that attack he pulled off?

The thing that bugs me is that IIRC the Regult was already disabled, so Max was basically shooting an enemy pilot who's bailing out. (Yeah, I know the other guy tried to throw the first punch.)

Anyway, from looking at the This Is Animation book and the Film Comics, I've always assumed he was firing the gun pod. I had thought he was firing it backwards, as if his elbow happened to pointing that way while grappling with the Zentradi pilot, and that move seemed kind of cool. I'm a little disappointed to see that it was pointed forwards after all.

I'm sure it's just a mistake by the animators.

Man you guys sure do analyze anime in detail. I just look at the stuff and marvel at the way Max and his bad@ss self dispatches Zentraedi like he's takin' out the trash. :D

definitely doesn't look like a forearm missile. it does look like he shoots, if you play it in slow mo, there is a flash of light then it looks like there's blood leaking out of a hole after Max pulls away.

here's my Max, he's got the gunpod in the right spot

:lol:

Edited by Chowser

now that i look at it (again) Max has the forearm missle/armor pack on, but the gunpod is mounted on the side of it! look at the 4 cap panel a few responses up from mine, in the lower left screencap, see?

now that i look at it (again) Max has the forearm missle/armor pack on, but the gunpod is mounted on the side of it! look at the 4 cap panel a few responses up from mine, in the lower left screencap, see?

Yeah, but you can see the gunpod open up as he brings the Zent into position at the end of the arm. Max is no dummy, he isn't going to waste a missle at close range that could possibly affect his valk. Especially when all he has to do is pop off one round from the gunpod, and let explosive decompression do the rest.

He's using 'robotechnollogy' to defy physics and reason.

c'mon guys, the storyboarder thought "here is a cool kill schene"

and the technical guy said "but the gun is on backwards"

the storyboarder replyed "do you think anyone will notice?"

technical guy thinks a moment "nah, no body would notice that, they'd have to look frame by frame, and no ones THAT big of a geek" :p