MACROSS SDF TV Remake

DatterBoy

Hmm, Soundtrack could be touchy. I wonder though, if they only had claim to the BGM, I could stand to have it redone (just as long as it was the same score, and I'm sure Mari would go for it too). The voices are the real wildcard though.

Was talking to King Nor about this earlier.  Would love to see the TV series re-done with new animation but keep the same audio track.  Several things it must have:

- Original audio track (keeps you from changing the story, though Lucas did a good number on Star Wars without touching the audio... bastard)

- Original character model sheets (do not change the anim style, just make it clean and consistent)

- CG Toon rendered components (Iron Giant/Disney style)

- CG must match animation frame rate (seamless unobtrusive CG)

What do you guys think? 

A lot of details I'm leaving out that need to be considered, but we'll see what springs up in conversation here.

:Dat

Lucas did do audio changes too, and they're not all good.

Check out the new voice of Boba Fett. It was the voice of evil, now its the voice of bad acting...

DVD Changes Review

No thanks, I'd rather have something new. While I wouldn't be totally against it if you can the CG, I don't see the point. The heart of the anime is the sum of it's parts. Changing the animation changes the look and feel of the show. It's like how so many people claim the the Special Edition didn't make Star Wars into a different film. It did, as the look, feel, and focus was changed in key scenes. Sure, the old Macross would still be around, but than you have to deal with a new division of the fans. I can hear it now, "You like the old version? Quit living in the past, the new one looks cooler."

The new stuff so far has been subpar... and the SDF storyline deserves way better animation than what was given it. I wanna see what they would had have in mind if they had the budget to begin with...

I know it ain't gonna happen, but I believe that that's what Dat is talking about.

Nice CG Dat.

What they should do is a sidestory on gubaba. I've always wanted to know how he got seperated from his family.

I believe there's a M7 episode on this point: Gubaba and the ones of his kind are hunted by T-Rex like-looking dinosaurs IIRC, and he's the only survivor... Then he falls exhausted and we see Max and his crew finding him some time later :)

But I agree with you: Studio Nue should do an entire spin-off serie about Gubaba before even thinking about reanimating SDF :p:lol:

I also still stand by my opinion that while SDF Macross had more character development, the character developement in DYRL? was better written and better handled. A rewritten, as well as reanimated, version of Space War 1 would have the potential to take the best aspects of both. As the story of Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay has been refined, we could get both the quantity of SDF Macross, and the quality of DYRL?.

Still, I'd rather something new, than something old redone, even if it was a definative Space War 1.

omfg datter! i dont' even have the rig done yet and you're pitching reanimating the serise ??? :-P hehe

like i said man, i would love to see it re-animated but i dont' want to see cg in my beloved SDF.

that's where you and i disagree.

i kinda feel like flameing you now. jerk face.

Flame away man!

Nah. Your work is awesome. I'd never consider offering up your services but what you're able to do makes me think it's totally possible and would look utterly believeable and clean. But this is not something that will ever happen from here...

We're just capable of making it happen to show it can be done and that it can be done well.

To show how good a remake can be... any one seen Re: Cutie Honey? Damn, that looked great. I wouldn't want SDF remade to that level (it was better in every way) but something like that can revitalize a dying legend. Now, Macross isn't necessarily dying but SDF is waning, which is why this fan base is made up of 26-35 year olds...

Business wise and to satisfy the fan boy in me, I think it would be great if they decided to do this.

I agree. Even cel shaded CG is still CG and we are nowhere near the point of it looking like traditional animation. While I enjoy Macross Zero for what it is, I must say that the dogfights in DYRL? and Macross Plus impressed me a lot more.

What they should do is a sidestory on gubaba. I've always wanted to know how he got seperated from his family. You know how sometime his fur goes on edge and he can sense the direction of missing people? I think this will be a key in a future series when a search party is sent to find the megaroad.

What is a gubaba?

A remake would be awesome! I was thinkin of that too. But if there is any way Rt/HG can get its grubby lil hands on it makes a great reason to not use the audio/sondtrack. Even if our dreams were to come true and they decide to remake it, I think that they wouldent have much of a profit on it. The story is somewhat fresh...kinda. I mean we need to wait like 10-20 years IMO. That way they can get a younger generation and re introduce it and than make even more money.

I wouldn't want SDF remade to that level (it was better  in every way) but something like that can revitalize a dying legend.  Now, Macross isn't necessarily dying but SDF is waning, which is why this fan base is made up of 26-35 year olds...

Business wise and to satisfy the fan boy in me, I think it would be great if they decided to do this.

Although a new series would be nice...IMO I dont think they can go anywhere rigth now. They did resort to a pre-quel last time so the ideas are getting thin. Whcih is fine cuz it shouldent have a different series every year like another famous Mecha show. :rolleyes: That is what I think makes Macross even better.

But if they do make a new series...how bout they do something with the decendents of Hikaru and Misa. All this wishful thinkin gets me a lil bummed out, it'll never happen. :(

Actually, Legend of TSXer, there are still plenty of routes Kawamori could go with any new Macross series, OVA, or movie.

A Space War I sidestory. Something that takes place during the SWI, but doesn't follow any of the original series's/movie's main characters. A couple of them could make cameos now and then, though.

Something that takes place during the Megaroad era, following one of those fleets when the VF-4 was the Valkyrie of choice among pilots. Perhaps Max and Millia's Dancing Skulls squadron?

A series that takes place during the civil war that served as the backdrop for VF-X2.

Any sort of show in the Macross 7/VF-X2 time frame.

The possibilities for a show post VF-X2 are pretty much endless.

How about a show that feature remenants of the old Supervision Army?

There were what? Thousands of fleets the size of Bodolza's? If nothing else a series could be based around a Megaroad or New Macross colony fleet coming across one or more of these. This idea could be combined with several of those already listed.

A number of these ideas could be used to further explore and define the Protoculture.

I really don't see how anyone could think that the options for a new Macross story are in any way limited. Though I will agree that I'd rather wait a long time for a quality Macross show, than to get a rehashed, cookie cutter Macross story every year or two that drives the franchise into the ground. I'd rather not have anything like Macross Wing or Macross Seed.

The new stuff so far has been subpar... and the SDF storyline deserves way better animation than what was given it. I wanna see what they would had have in mind if they had the budget to begin with...

I know it ain't gonna happen, but I believe that that's what Dat is talking about.

I have to agree with Exo. With the release of Macross Zero, there is a new awareness of Macross.

Why follow up with the old series (still great in my book) when you can give Kawamorie a fat budget and let him remake Macross SDF-1 to what he had wanted to and may have been limited at before?

I don't want him to replace the VF-1s with new VF-1ZZ Variants but touch it up a notch to at least DYRL quality (production quality).

Then follow up with Macross Side Storys about other heroes of Space War I or a new Macross series after Macross 7/VFX.

The new stuff so far has been subpar... and the SDF storyline deserves way better animation than what was given it.  I wanna see what they would had have in mind if they had the budget to begin with...

I have to agree with Exo. With the release of Macross Zero, there is a new awareness of Macross.

Why follow up with the old series (still great in my book) when you can give Kawamorie a fat budget and let him remake Macross SDF-1 to what he had wanted to and may have been limited at before?

I don't want him to replace the VF-1s with new VF-1ZZ Variants but touch it up a notch to at least DYRL quality (production quality).

Then follow up with Macross Side Storys about other heroes of Space War I or a new Macross series after Macross 7/VFX.

personally i woudlnt' trust Kawamorie to remake SDF as something i'd like.

we'd probably see a BIG shift in how the stoyr is told, and total redesigns of everything... armd platforms on the SDF and pointy toed valks. I'd be very unhappy.

I'm almost certain that Kawamorie looks at the SDF show and cringes everytime. i dont' think he loves it at all the way we do.

SDF is my favorite incarnation of Macross, and i personally beleive it's Kawamorie's LEAST favorite. IF for what ever reason it was remade i'd hope he woudlnt' want to be part of it.

how sad is that?

meh !

All this nostalgic crap about wanting a remake is both lame and unecessary IMO.

Without new stuff like Zero Macross will be dead in no time ( if it ain´t dead already :( )

besides , if you all want CG animated VF-1s there´s no problem in including them into a new series ( set circa M+ for example) ;)

I kinda have to agree with Keith. I mean, most artists like to move on, and try to improve upon the works of the past, but that does not mean they cringe every time they look back. I mean, didn't we have a thread a long time ago about favourite Valkyries, and someone like Graham or Egan say that apparently Kawamori's favourite Valkyrie was the VF-1 and his least favourite was the VF-17?

I kinda have to agree with Keith. I mean, most artists like to move on, and try to improve upon the works of the past, but that does not mean they cringe every time they look back. I mean, didn't we have a thread a long time ago about favourite Valkyries, and someone like Graham or Egan say that apparently Kawamori's favourite Valkyrie was the VF-1 and his least favourite was the VF-17?

Yes, the VF-1 is his favorite, and the VF-17 was his least favorite (We've had interviews and other stuff lying around here to confirm that....). But the VF-1 is his baby, his first-born VF. When he was designing the VF-17, he kept staring back at the F-117 and saw that it worked for some reason even though he didn't like the look of the F-117. It worked, so Kawamori was happy and Graham is happy.

if you all want a Remake why dont you bug the hell outta the guys in th Mass CG project thread to put all the valks they've made to use and animate a sceen from SDF using the original audio. and see how you all like that. i know id be interested as hell to see something like that and i know that there is enough tallent in this forum to do it.

Major,

I would love to see your suggestions done but I'm afraid fan works usually won't pull themselves together long enough to accomplish much.

You and are team are definately the minority though.

Here is an example of how I would love to see Macross SDF-1 updated :

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/multimedia/W7MOV_H.zip

From Shawn's original thread:

Takaken Macross mini movie - Encounter, pretty cool!

if you all want a Remake why dont you bug the hell outta the guys in th Mass CG project thread to put all the valks they've made to use and animate a sceen from SDF using the original audio. and see how you all like that. i know id be interested as hell to see something like that and i know that there is enough tallent in this forum to do it.

Mostly because even if we did that, it would be nothing a but a mech fest. I'm talking macross here, with all the drama and people. Yeah, we love the valks and all, but we love the characters too and the story they drive. I don't think a bunch of fans who model valks can pull that off.

I thought about writing my views on this subject but since I don't want to be attacked for them again I won't. I will leave you with something to think about.

Sequal, Prequals, and Side stories should only add to the original. They should never take away from it. Now with all these other stories has anything been taken away from the original? Does the original still stand true to everything else that has followed or does it no longer fit?

I know many of you will choose not to see the truth, nor do I feel like being attacked yet again so I will not spell it out for you. For those who choose not to follow blindly the answers are in many of the threads here as well as in the animation. Watch your DVDs and video tapes and compare what you see to what's official. You will find the answers to the questions above.

Now I'm going to go morn the death of a loved story.

For those who choose not to follow blindly the answers are in many of the threads here as well as in the animation. Watch your DVDs and video tapes and compare what you see to what's official.

I thought it was all official...

But I'm not sure what you are getting at anyways...

No it is not all official. What is "Official is that the TV series has the "Official" story and the movie the "Official designs. That meens many of designs from the TV series no longer "Officially" exist. They have been replaced by the movie designs. However despite this "Official" statement a few designs are given explainations as to why they're changed later in the continuity. This ofcourse makes no sense if the TV designs don't exist. IF they don't exist, there's nothing for them to be changed from. Exedol would alway's have had a brocoli head and tenticle arms for example.

Now for the "Official" story. You would thing it work regardless of the designs changes, right? Wrong! Several key points in the "Official" Story can not happen with the "Official" movie designs. The movie designs just wil not allow the events to happen the way they are in the story. The ARMD's attacking the Zentraedi Fleet, the Zentraedi spies, and much of episodes 11 and 12 are all examples of that. And that doesn't include the rewriting of Macross history to shoe horn in M0.

So what does that leave Macross with? Nothing. It has no designs, a story that doesn't work with in continuity, and a background history that is being rewritten. Macross should be reanimated uniting the "Official" Story and Designs into one True Macross and the original should be placed back into an alternate universe.

meh to the people that say meh... you guys act like its gonna happen... it ain't, but there's nothing wrong with wishing for it. Whenever there's new technology made, you're always going to wonder what could have been... Everyone would think it was great idea if Kawamori DID announce an interest in doing so....

The movie designs are only official as of the 2031 era. The TV designs are official as of the 2009-2012 era. There is no contradiction between the designs & story.

Yep yep.

It's even mentioned: http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_.../vf1/index.html

TV-style: Block-5 or earlier

DYRL-style: Block-6 or later

And using the excuse that the VF-0 uses DYRL-style controls does not work as the VF-0 does not equal the VF-1.