MACROSS SDF TV Remake

DatterBoy

Was talking to King Nor about this earlier. Would love to see the TV series re-done with new animation but keep the same audio track. Several things it must have:

- Original audio track (keeps you from changing the story, though Lucas did a good number on Star Wars without touching the audio... bastard)

- Original character model sheets (do not change the anim style, just make it clean and consistent)

- CG Toon rendered components (Iron Giant/Disney style)

- CG must match animation frame rate (seamless unobtrusive CG)

What do you guys think?

A lot of details I'm leaving out that need to be considered, but we'll see what springs up in conversation here.

:Dat

Well, I don't think it's nessesary to re animate everything, just erase and burn everything made by animesh.it and animate those parts, being carefull that they look like the original, th soundtrack doesn't have to be done again, just paste the old soundtrack into the new animated scenes, I love Macross as is but it'll be nice not to see what animefriend did, what Big west did is very nice. :)

I think you can do it and be true to the original. Proof of concept:

VF-1S.jpg

jet_toon.jpg

Now that and consistent animation.. and remeber.. SAME VOICES AND AUDIO TRACK...

That would be awesome.

I think we have all toyed around with the concept, but I doubt it would happen. If it did happen though I think people would want to see the missing two years between the final battle with Boldolza and the rebuilding effort on Earth. Unfortunately that can definitely never happen. If, big if, we could find enough dedicated and talented fans to do it I'm sure it could be done, but would be very hard and expensive.

im for it if ONLY nothing is changed. i mean NOTHING. just improve the animation, make the characters look like DYRL and since ur already planning it, CG the valks. besides that... imo, NO adding scenes, NO changing camera angles, etc, none of that. if thats what you had in mind... i say, im all for it. :D

if that was ur plan, i dont see why people would be against it. its a fan thing. it'll just be for us fans that wants it to enjoy. it isnt like we're going to market it and have it hit american tv and so on and so forth. riiiiight? :huh:<_<

im pretty sure i can show it to a friend or two that might be able to draw them into macross. hehehe... B))

I'd rather not. I have SDF Macross, I've seen it hundreds of times. If I want to watch it, I'll break out my DVDs. I want more Macross, but I want something new. In that respect, I'm going to go against the grain here. If they remade Space War I, I would want them to make the definative version that all of the sequels are based off of. Forget this 'use the original audio track, but reanimate the series'. I'm not interested in that at all, unless they pull a LotGH and reanimate only the worst episodes, to make the animation over the course of the entire series more consistant.

Yeah, but the poll votes show that most of the voters want it re-animated. It'll probably never happen, but who knows what will happen in 5 or 10 years. Maybe there will be progams out by then which will allow any fan-boy to do it by themselves.....

As for my opinion on whether it should be re-animated or not, I say yes. As long as they stay with the original soundtrack, I'd like to see it done.

Some people say they want it done like DYRL...that's just the characters right? Or is that everything? I was thinking what if they did follow the mecha from DYRL....does that mean the ARMD platforms would have survived? What about the valks? I personally like the DYRL Valk hands better. Would Hikaru ever end up in a VF-1J or would he have the 1A until Roy dies? That would be kind of neat to see a VF-1J with Skull paint scheme. Woudld Roy's Valk be obliterated instead of being passed down to Hikaru? Would all the brown CFs be replaced with low-viz paint schemes? Would there still be a VF-1D or would they use the ostrich instead? Haha, sorry, too many questions, but I've been dreaming about something like this too.

I'd also like to see (additional footage always seems to make people groan) maybe a few sidestories about other squadrons. You know, maybe Roy's got friends in other squadrons (I know, I know, no *ucking way this is going to happen) or even squad leaders....it'd be so cool to see other VF-1S with different paint schemes, and side stories about their pilots......

Well, anyway, I doubt very much that anything like this will be done so I guess I'll just have to wait for some really keen fanboys (rich fanboys) to take on such a project.

Edited by peter

im for it if ONLY nothing is changed. i mean NOTHING. just improve the animation, make the characters look like DYRL

But I LIKE the original character designs.

And DYRL's flightsuits just look lame to me.

My dream Macross is the TV show we have now, only with all the animation done to the same quality as the title sequence, and without Global Report(waste of a perfectly good episode slot...).

im for it if ONLY nothing is changed. i mean NOTHING. just improve the animation, make the characters look like DYRL

My dream Macross is the TV show we have now, only with all the animation done to the same quality as the title sequence, and without Global Report(waste of a perfectly good episode slot...).

oooh... hehe... that wasnt what i meant when i said DYRL. i meant the animation, u know, more detailed, smoother, etc. not the suit. :p

oooh... hehe... that wasnt what i meant when i said DYRL. i meant the animation, u know, more detailed, smoother, etc. not the suit. :p

But I like SDFM with its mistakes and inconsistant animation. I like it with its 1980s-TV-size budget and reuse of animation. I don't want the CG-colored cels and all that stuff. I like the nostalgia watching a dated show.

But I like SDFM with its mistakes and inconsistant animation. I like it with its 1980s-TV-size budget and reuse of animation. I don't want the CG-colored cels and all that stuff. I like the nostalgia watching a dated show.

No one is going to take that away from you. ;)

It isnt like all the versions of the old SDF Macross is going to disappear. :o

Thats the reason I'm for it and the way I see it. If its redone, then its just something extra for us Macross fans. I dont see the harm done in that. :)

And I like not having to choke back tears of agony every time Max and Millia get in a knife fight. :p

I think you can do it and be true to the original. Proof of concept:

VF-1S.jpg

jet_toon.jpg

Now that and consistent animation.. and remeber.. SAME VOICES AND AUDIO TRACK...

That would be awesome.

Same audio tracks and timing is fine by me. :)

If it comes our way, then why not?

See, some of guys on teh CG forums could probably re create the mech stuff, but the character animations and such... that would have to be hand drawn traditional as opposed to CG cel shaded.

Like ALPHAX said, no one would be taking the original away from you or modifying it, just giving existing fans a bit of a treat and POSSIBLY establishing a new fan base...

No way fans would ever pull this off. Would have to be done legit.

Because if they come out like Macross Zero, you may as well just design me some cool valks and show me some footage of that....

Macross SDF - a proven winner. Guaranteed success.

Did you do that yourself?

We should just pool our money together and pay you to reanimate it.

Yeah, 3D modelled. You think taht's good? Come over to the Mass CG Thread on these here forums to see some kick ass stuff.

Mass CG Project

omfg datter! i dont' even have the rig done yet and you're pitching reanimating the serise ??? :-P hehe

like i said man, i would love to see it re-animated but i dont' want to see cg in my beloved SDF.

that's where you and i disagree.

i kinda feel like flameing you now. jerk face.

also, something most cg/traditional animation coposits forget, you've GOT to get them on the same framerate or it looks rediculous. if you animate the 2d stuff at 12 fps, then the cg can't be running at 30 at the same time or it looks soooo ugly.

the 2d animation is usually what limits the framerate because its so much more time consuming than 3d

I agree, macross was great for its day, some of the animation on that show was incredible... part of me feels like going back and doing a lucas would just be an insult to the people who did such a fine job.

I would rather see the time and effort be put into a new series, something that moves the story forward or fleshes out the universe some more.

Actually, the one major argument "for" doing such a thing is simple, Tatsunoku, & as such HG, would have absolutely no claim on it whatsoever. I think it could be done, but isn't necessary when all is said & done. Though if it was, they should definately stick with the original TV design style (not DYRL) as it was period specific.

No one is going to take that away from you. ;)

It isnt like all the versions of the old SDF Macross is going to disappear. :o

Thats the reason I'm for it and the way I see it. If its redone, then its just something extra for us Macross fans. I dont see the harm done in that. :)

But that's exactly what should be done to avoid any confusion.

Macross is one of the greatest stories ever told and it should be redone in a way that does it justice. Alternate versions of the story do not deserve to exist.

CGI scenes should be added to give it the visuals some depth that can match the story. While they're at it, they should redo Roy so that he looks like the same guy in Macross Zero. And don't forget, the Zentradi fleet should fire first when it first enters our solar system. We don't want to give anyone the impression that the Zentradi were acting in self defense. To further illustrate that the humans weren't the aggressors, they should also make additional changes so that most valks carry phones instead of guns. I want my Macross Special Edition!

<_<

Edited by Kyubi

Keith, interesting theory, but not necessarily true. For one thing, Tatsunoko & HG probably do have a claim to the soundtrack/voicetrack. Now, if they decided to do an entirely new version of the SW1/Hikaru/Misa/Minmay story, I agree that TP/HG probably wouldn't have any more right to it than they have to Macross Plus/7/Zero.

Edited by ewilen