PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

So I turn on my PSP today and I got a single stuck white pixel on the top of the screen. It happened overnight.

It is almost unnoticeable, but I gotta say... I can't NOT look at it every time a black screen comes. In a moment of weakness I start rubbing it with a q-tip and even turn PSP upside down for a while. I'm trying to "suck it up" and deal with it... it is not dead, it may come back... and I read about dozes of people here who got like 5 pixels dead/stuck and could care less... Am I shallow enough to return it for a single stuck pixel? Probably not... I'm actually afraid of getting another one with more dead/stuck pixels on it!

I know it is stupid, but I can't stop thinking about that fricking stuck pixel. :////////////////

It just means your eyes are better than other people's.

Some can't tell that a VHS tape fed through an antenna lead to a bargain bin TV is any worse than a DVD through component cables to a high-end set.

Some can't see how anyone can not tell.

Obviously, there's a LOT of space between the extremes.

It just means your eyes are better than other people's.

Some can't tell that a VHS tape fed through an antenna lead to a bargain bin TV is any worse than a DVD through component cables to a high-end set.

Some can't see how anyone can not tell.

Obviously, there's a LOT of space between the extremes.

Am I a graphic designer, so it is really easy to me to spot this kind of thing... A single pixel on a piece of advertising may end up looking like a pimple on a hot model's face :p

My wife can't see it... my friend only spot it after a couple of minutes and I had to pretty much point the exact location to him. It is not that big of a problem, I just with I stop obsessing so much about it.

I used my PSP's USB cable this morning, formatted the data on it (didn't care about the game saves) and I put 2 music files and about a dozen pictures.

Now the pictures show up fine, but the MP3 music wont appear at all. When I go into music it tells me I have ZERO tracks...I know for a fact that I placed the music in the music folder and even checked again to make sure.

So I wonder what the hell went wrong? I wanna listen to Meteor and Invoke dammit. <_<

I used my PSP's USB cable this morning, formatted the data on it (didn't care about the game saves) and I put 2 music files and about a dozen pictures.

Now the pictures show up fine, but the MP3 music wont appear at all. When I go into music it tells me I have ZERO tracks...I know for a fact that I placed the music in the music folder and even checked again to make sure.

So I wonder what the hell went wrong? I wanna listen to Meteor and Invoke dammit. <_<

That seems odd, but I can offer maybe one suggestion, because my friend had a similar problem. When you load the mp3 onto the PSP, after the computer looks like it's done and after the loading bar on the PSP is full, wait a few more seconds. My friend said that it looks like the computer and the PSP are done, but it's still accessing the Memory Stick.

Now the pictures show up fine, but the MP3 music wont appear at all.  When I go into music it tells me I have ZERO tracks...I know for a fact that I placed the music in the music folder and even checked again to make sure.

After opening your music folder, make sure your music tracks aren't in a folder within a folder. The PSP won't see the music tracks. I had that problem when I was using iTunes.

Edited by dejr8bud

are you using the scandisk brand memstick? I usually get this problem when I use that brand. "losing data" :(

Its just the Memory stick that came with the PSP. Pictures work, but no music.

Also, I'm pretty sure they're not in a folder within a folder, I was pretty caustious about that not knowing how well it'd work. Pretty much just took the 2 songs and moved them right into the folder labeled as "Music" on the PSP listings.

But I suppose the songs never finished loading into the folder...but it shows the space is taken up as I only have 22 megs left...that sounds about right 5 megs each song plus the pictures....wish I had the cable with me and was at home I'd check it out, but oh well. It was just music I can listen too while I was working on my PG Strike at work.

Edited by Hikuro

Well NPD numbers have been leaked for the PSP software

PSP NEED SPEED:UND RIVALS $5,973,790 121,293

PSP TWISTED METAL:HEAD ON $5,034,513 127,403

PSP UNTOLD LEGENDS:BTHRHD $4,078,071 103,010

PSP METAL GEAR ACID $3,483,612 88,362

PSP WIPEOUT PURE $3,474,053 88,083

PSP T.HAWK UNDGRND2 REMIX $3,072,220 62,312

PSP LUMINES $2,582,971 65,445

PSP RIDGE RACER $2,388,781 60,638

PSP NFL STREET 2:UNLEASHD $2,350,924 47,991

PSP TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR $2,336,386 47,310

PSP DYNASTY WARRIORS $2,286,374 46,373

PSP APE ESCAPE:ON LOOSE $2,044,120 52,197

PSP NBA $2,002,644 50,835

PSP SPIDER-MAN:THE MOVIE2 $1,970,245 40,145

PSP DARKSTALKERS: CHOAS $1,519,263 38,485

PSP GRETZKY NHL $741,333 18,896

PSP WORLD TOUR SOCCER $718,640 18,290

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.ph...88&page=2&pp=50

DS launch game sales

NDS SUPER MARIO 64 DS $6,474,906 214,417

NDS SPIDER-MAN:THE MOVIE2 $1,456,745 40,706

NDS MADDEN NFL 2005 $1,303,238 32,889

NDS THE URBZ:SIMS IN CITY $1,029,216 26,908

NDS ASPHALT: URBAN GT $793,442 26,605

NDS FEEL THE MAGIC: XY/XX $393,678 13,270

EDIT

2 gig cards coming from SanDisk in 2-3 months

http://news.com.com/PSP+owners+gobble+up+M...71092&subj=news

Edited by dejr8bud

Nintendo's in trouble if they don't get their DS replacement out soon. If they miss Christmas they're screwed.

I am wondering if perhaps the Next Gameboy type thing out from Nintendo isnt going to feature compatibility with its gamecube games.....it would be killer, an already established library, killer graphics...the problem would be implimenting this. I would love to have a portable gamecube. Just getting the controller set up and getting a good screen all in a portable set up is going to be a challenge, also using the Gamecube memory card would be key.....but we have seen Sony do it with the PSP, I hope we see something like this from Nintendo and maybe Microsoft.....but maybe that is hoping to much.

Twich

Nintendo's in trouble if they don't get their DS replacement out soon.  If they miss Christmas they're screwed.

Why would they replace the DS? They just released it. Do you mean their GBA SP replacement?

That's what I meant, the GBA SP replacement. Whatever new handheld they have on the horizon that might have a chance at rivaling the PSP.

Portable Gamecube would be pretty cool.

If you think about it, how much space does the systyem board take up?

There's the expansion ports on the bottom, the controllers in the front, and the drive up top. If then can compress it down it could be possible.

Edited by Anubis

That's what I meant, the GBA SP replacement. Whatever new handheld they have on the horizon that might have a chance at rivaling the PSP.

There's the expansion ports on the bottom, the controllers in the front, and the drive up top. If then can compress it down it could be possible.

Not gonna happen. Lots of reasons why not, namely using the existing Gamecube discs in a portable would be difficult because you'd have to spin them and not scratch them when moving, it's just asking for trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo kept the cartridge format.

I think you're still being premature about "rivaling" the PSP. The GBA has one of the best game libraries currently avaiilable, it'll take years to see the PSP to even get close to that thanks to the typical 'early Playstation games' syndrome it's suffering from. I mean, how long did it take the PS2 to get some decent games...?

That's what I meant, the GBA SP replacement.  Whatever new handheld they have on the horizon that might have a chance at rivaling the PSP.

There's the expansion ports on the bottom, the controllers in the front, and the drive up top.  If then can compress it down it could be possible.

Not gonna happen. Lots of reasons why not, namely using the existing Gamecube discs in a portable would be difficult because you'd have to spin them and not scratch them when moving, it's just asking for trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo kept the cartridge format.

I think you're still being premature about "rivaling" the PSP. The GBA has one of the best game libraries currently avaiilable, it'll take years to see the PSP to even get close to that thanks to the typical 'early Playstation games' syndrome it's suffering from. I mean, how long did it take the PS2 to get some decent games...?

Make no mistake, I love my GBA SP. Rivaling was probably the wrong choice of word.

Nintendo's new system will again be some kind of cartride most likely, I agree. You realyl don't want to use discs than can be scratched in a portable system, that's why the PSP's discs are enclosed.

It may take a loooooong time for Sony to catch up, Nintendo's current hold is massive, but if Nintendo waits too long Sony will start to. There are hardly any more good GBA games coming out that I've seen. Zelda and that's about it. Sony already drummed up so much support from the 3rd parties.

Sony's going to snag a huge piece of the Xmas pie this year, and all the way until then. That's a long time without any new challenger from Nintendo. I've always liked Nintendo's stuff personally. I skipped on the DS though but will look hard at the next GB.

Hopefully in summer we'll see the specs for the new one, and they can work up a good campaign.

I'm looking at the PSP too, and might get it eventually, but right now don't see any need to.

Studios To Release Movies for Playstation Portable

Sony's PlayStation Portable appears likely to become the dominant movie-watching player in the handheld market, Home Media Retailing reported Thursday. It noted that several studios are planning to issue movies in PSP's Universal Media Disc format, with Sony Films, not surprisingly, taking the lead. (Sony's Spider-Man 2 comes bundled with the player.) Apparently, the studios will be aiming at adults as well as kids, with Disney's Buena Vista Home Entertainment planning to release the R-rated Kill Bill Vol. 1 on April 19 (along with Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl). Sony plans to release Hitch on both DVD and UMD on June 14.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2005-04-15/

I am really surprized the movie studios are pouncing on this one.

Wonder how many people will double dip.

Edited by Anubis

Make no mistake, I love my GBA SP. Rivaling was probably the wrong choice of word.

Nintendo's new system will again be some kind of cartride most likely, I agree. You realyl don't want to use discs than can be scratched in a portable system, that's why the PSP's discs are enclosed.

It may take a loooooong time for Sony to catch up, Nintendo's current hold is massive, but if Nintendo waits too long Sony will start to. There are hardly any more good GBA games coming out that I've seen. Zelda and that's about it. Sony already drummed up so much support from the 3rd parties.

Sony's going to snag a huge piece of the Xmas pie this year, and all the way until then. That's a long time without any new challenger from Nintendo. I've always liked Nintendo's stuff personally. I skipped on the DS though but will look hard at the next GB.

Hopefully in summer we'll see the specs for the new one, and they can work up a good campaign.

I'm looking at the PSP too, and might get it eventually, but right now don't see any need to.

Nintendo does have a large inventory of games that people can use with the GB systems, however, the downside is that it limits the number of new games that will sell fairly well. Most people aren't going to buy a new game that copies an already existing game, when they can find orginal game at some sort of second hand shop. I think the PSP might rival the next GB when it comes to attracting people from the teen or adult crowd. Of course Nintendo probably should try to get ahold of or produce more new games for their new GB soon, they aren't doing to well console wise and Microsoft will probably start making its own portable systems sometime down the road once the Xbox gets pretty well established in the console market.

However, the PSP is a nice little device. I would buy one if I had the money and thought that I would actually play games on it a lot.

Make no mistake, I love my GBA SP.  Rivaling was probably the wrong choice of word.

Nintendo's new system will again be some kind of cartride most likely, I agree.  You realyl don't want to use discs than can be scratched in a portable system, that's why the PSP's discs are enclosed.

It may take a loooooong time for Sony to catch up, Nintendo's current hold is massive, but if Nintendo waits too long Sony will start to.  There are hardly any more good GBA games coming out that I've seen.  Zelda and that's about it.  Sony already drummed up so much support from the 3rd parties.

Sony's going to snag a huge piece of the Xmas pie this year, and all the way until then.  That's a long time without any new challenger from Nintendo.  I've always liked Nintendo's stuff personally.  I skipped on the DS though but will look hard at the next GB.

Nintendo does have a large inventory of games that people can use with the GB systems, however, the downside is that it limits the number of new games that will sell fairly well. Most people aren't going to buy a new game that copies an already existing game, when they can find orginal game at some sort of second hand shop. I think the PSP might rival the next GB when it comes to attracting people from the teen or adult crowd. Of course Nintendo probably should try to get ahold of or produce more new games for their new GB soon, they aren't doing to well console wise and Microsoft will probably start making its own portable systems sometime down the road once the Xbox gets pretty well established in the console market.

However, the PSP is a nice little device. I would buy one if I had the money and thought that I would actually play games on it a lot.

A lot of trouble with people speculating about the next Gameboy is that they're making two assumptions:

1.) That there even is a new Gameboy coming out within the next year. Remember, this was predicted by analysts, but Nintendo hasn't said beans about this. However, this assumption does seem likely.

2.) That the next Gameboy will be leaps and bounds beyond the current GBA or the NDS, or that it will be more in line with the PSP. This assumption seems born of the fact that the NDS, despite it's explosive launch, doesn't really seemed poised to compete with the PSP, and that if Nintendo does release a new Gameboy, it must be so it can compete with the PSP. This assumption seems more of a stretch, though. As one IGN staffer suggested, it will probably be a GBA SP with a better backlight (instead of the current washed-out front light) and a standard headphone jack. The Gameboy line is set to stay competetive not by sheer processing power, but by remaining under $100.

2.) That the next Gameboy will be leaps and bounds beyond the current GBA or the NDS, or that it will be more in line with the PSP. This assumption seems born of the fact that the NDS, despite it's explosive launch, doesn't really seemed poised to compete with the PSP, and that if Nintendo does release a new Gameboy, it must be so it can compete with the PSP. This assumption seems more of a stretch, though. As one IGN staffer suggested, it will probably be a GBA SP with a better backlight (instead of the current washed-out front light) and a standard headphone jack. The Gameboy line is set to stay competetive not by sheer processing power, but by remaining under $100.

I very seriously doubt it will be a GBA Mk. 3.

The things that can me made for under a hundred dollars go well beyond the GBA's capabilities.

I'd expect something similar to China's iQue, which was a portable N64, except in the portable system style isntead of the pad-famiclone style.

Well, I would if it weren't for the fact that Nintendo likes backwards-compatibility on the Gameboy. I jsut hope it's not another half-assed kludge like the last 2 hardware upgrades(GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance. The SP is the same hardware in a new box).

My guess it would an upgraded ds. basicly bigger top screen so it resembles a laptop so you can use the bottom as purely a touchpad (all greyed out). And big guess internal flash memory (size depending on how cheap they want the unit to be) instead of a micro harddrive (maybe in a couple years when one is invented with even few moving parts to no moving parts compared to todays and yesterdays harddrives).

Coarse Ill stick with my gba sp. I don't realy play games anymore than the very few ones now, guess im getting old. So no psp or nds or any consuls. ill just sit back and play doom3 roe on my laptop. Maybe a get a pocket pc if they get more powerful.

Heh I see all handhelds including psp to drop in price unless sony pulls a F that we jujst got a bigger profit margin.

the inquirer

Who knows nds drops to 100 and psp goes to 150.

Well, the operative phrase in that article is "over the next couple of years." While computer monitors will probably drop the fastest, I'm thinking that lower LCD costs will just coincide with the regular price drops on videogame hardware.

Hi guys just got my psp and wondering what memory card to get I really want the 2gb high speed from sony but its like 450bucks. I ve seen 2 kinds of 1gb from magic gate one is normal and the other is high speed. Is it better to get the high speed or it doesn't make a diffrence? Also the san disk is like dirt cheap compared to the magic gate but I've heard problems shoudl i stay away from it?

from Rich

Actually, my work (EB) already has XXX, Hellboy, RE: Apocaplypse, Once Upon a time in Mexico and House of Flying daggers in stock in UMD format, but I think they're all street dated until tomorrow. The cover art is almost identical to the dvds, and the cases are identical to the game cases. A little pricey at EB/Gamestop, but you can pricematch or just goto Bestbuy where they are $14.99 for the first 4, and $20 for HoFD.

Hi guys just got my psp and wondering what memory card to get I really want the 2gb high speed from sony but its like 450bucks. I ve seen 2 kinds of 1gb from magic gate one is normal and the other is high speed. Is it better to get the high speed or it doesn't make a diffrence? Also the san disk is like dirt cheap compared to the magic gate but I've heard problems shoudl i stay away from it?

from Rich

I remember reading somewhere (on a forum or site) that the PSP accepts both high speed and regular memory sticks (duos), but it makes no differentiation on speed. The PSP works at one speed and thats that. So, its probably better to just get the regular -- its cheaper.

BTW, I remember where I got that info from:

IGN Tips you never knew about the PSP (FAQ)

Handy little compilation of tips =)

Actually, my work (EB) already has XXX, Hellboy, RE: Apocaplypse, Once Upon a time in Mexico and House of Flying daggers in stock in UMD format, but I think they're all street dated until tomorrow. The cover art is almost identical to the dvds, and the cases are identical to the game cases. A little pricey at EB/Gamestop, but you can pricematch or just goto Bestbuy where they are $14.99 for the first 4, and $20 for HoFD.

Hey, Britai, did they say anything to you about the buyout? For those of you who haven't heard, Gamestop bought EB.

I'm off today, but I'll see if they're telling us anything tomorrow (I work at Gamestop, so... welcome to the family, Britai... I guess...)

QUOTE (Britai 7018 @ Apr 18 2005, 03:11 PM)

Hey, Britai, did they say anything to you about the buyout? For those of you who haven't heard, Gamestop bought EB.

I'm off today, but I'll see if they're telling us anything tomorrow (I work at Gamestop, so... welcome to the family, Britai... I guess...) 

Valkyrie23 Posted on Apr 18 2005, 04:25 PM

QUOTE (goldenboy_forever @ Apr 18 2005, 01:27 PM)

from Rich 

I remember reading somewhere (on a forum or site) that the PSP accepts both high speed and regular memory sticks (duos), but it makes no differentiation on speed. The PSP works at one speed and thats that. So, its probably better to just get the regular -- its cheaper.

BTW, I remember where I got that info from:

IGN Tips you never knew about the PSP (FAQ)

Handy little compilation of tips =)

thanks valk23 that saves me alot of money$$$$ :D I head circuit city and target will be carrying house of flying dagger this tuesday for like 15 buck. :)

anyone know where I can find a cheap 1gb pro duo I saw the dell link but out of stock <_<

from Rich

Some of these movies are 29.99 at Best Buy. That's more than the DVD version and with no extras etc.. What a rip off <_< Considering that probably most of these movies made made a profit already, its pure greed.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?ty...mcat56200050011

Pure greed...

You mean like region-coding, "copy protection" that doesn't stop copying but DOES stop consumers from using their disks freely, 9$ movie tickets, and 20$ DVDs?

Some of these movies are 29.99 at Best Buy. That's more than the DVD version and with no extras etc.. What a rip off <_< Considering that probably most of these movies made made a profit already, its pure greed.

they are? I was just there on tuesday and they had a whole section and the prices were all 14.99. Are you sure it was 29.99? :huh:

Some of these movies are 29.99 at Best Buy. That's more than the DVD version and with no extras etc.. What a rip off <_<  Considering that probably most of these movies made made a profit already, its pure greed.

they are? I was just there on tuesday and they had a whole section and the prices were all 14.99. Are you sure it was 29.99? :huh:

I called my local Best Buy to see how much they wanted for House of Flying Daggers, and they said $19.99.