PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

Considering that most roms are rarely more than a few megabytes, even the 32mb stick that comes with the PSP would be able to store your game saves, the emulator, and a handful of roms.

But what good is a PSP that can't run Killer Instinct and Cruisin' USA?

</sarcasm>

I'm not sure what you're thinking, and I refuse to believe your mixing megabits with megabytes... but I have Killer Instinct for the SNES clocking in at 4mb unzipped.

MAME. Hard disk images.

Perhaps I should've picked games that weren't ported to ROM-based systems.

Edited by JB0

Considering that most roms are rarely more than a few megabytes, even the 32mb stick that comes with the PSP would be able to store your game saves, the emulator, and a handful of roms.

</sarcasm>

I'm not sure what you're thinking, and I refuse to believe your mixing megabits with megabytes... but I have Killer Instinct for the SNES clocking in at 4mb unzipped.

MAME. Hard disk images.

Oh, okay! I got ya now. Yeah, I don't know, there have been some fun arcade games, but I never did more than dabble with MAME. ZSNES and Visual Boy Advance are my emulators of choice.

well it would be cool to play mario 3 or mario all-stars on my psp or even if the n64 games are playable i'd just love to play golden eye or mortal kombat 4 or even that one perverted beaver game  :p

Portable N64 games? That'd be a Nintendo DS... ;)

i know but i doubt we'll see golden eye and mk4 for the ds...even if nintendo does decide to ask the publishers to re-release those games, i seriously doubt they'll actually do it...ahh well, not like i can find a working mk4 or ge rom anyways

I don't think any kind of hard drive attachment for the PSP is necessary.  The PSP is designed to be able to execute software from the Memory Stick.  The idea is that you'd be able to download demos and what not.

Yeah but then you are stuck in the memory card computer swap cycle that we are trapped in now for reasonably priced alternatives to re-puchasing movies we already own.

Have you fooled around with a fully loaded Hacked Xbox yet? A buddy of mine has his set up with a 150gig HD and he has over 6000 games loaded on to it, NeoGeo's full library, damn near every title for the NES/SNES/Turbografix16/Sega Master System/Genesis/Saturn/ every gameboy title worth playing, over 700 Arcade titles, 50 or so full X-Box games, it is a monster.

When my PSP can do that I am going to stop participating in society.

Edited by Ghadrack

I don't think any kind of hard drive attachment for the PSP is necessary.  The PSP is designed to be able to execute software from the Memory Stick.  The idea is that you'd be able to download demos and what not.

Yeah but then you are stuck in the memory card computer swap cycle that we are trapped in now for reasonably priced alternatives to re-puchasing movies we already own.

Have you fooled around with a fully loaded Hacked Xbox yet? A buddy of mine has his set up with a 150gig HD and he has over 6000 games loaded on to it, NeoGeo's full library, damn near every title for the NES/SNES/Turbografix16/Sega Master System/Genesis/Saturn/ every gameboy title worth playing, over 700 Arcade titles, 50 or so full X-Box games, it is a monster.

When my PSP can do that I am going to stop participating in society.

No, I haven't bothered to hack my Xbox. I don't often find myself playing even the best roms and emulators, so if I had the cash for a 150GB HD, I'd throw it in my PC so I have more room for the anime I'm grabbing off of bittorrent sites instead of jacking my Xbox so I can load it with games I won't play.

In any case, I have a 512mb stick, so if there's a few roms I really will play, I could easily fit them. I'm not so lazy that I can't swap out a few files. Seriously, how'd some of you guys get along with mp3 players before the iPod?

easy its called iriver. the best CD MP3 player out there.

Oh Mike also you can mod the X-box liek my friend so he hooks it up to his router and can share files from his computer and watch on TV. Full dolby digital anime.

</sarcasm>

MAME. Hard disk images.

Oh, okay! I got ya now. Yeah, I don't know, there have been some fun arcade games, but I never did more than dabble with MAME. ZSNES and Visual Boy Advance are my emulators of choice.

I'm big on arcade emulation.

Partially because my preferences lately have been more towards the kind of gameplay the arcade environment encourages, and as long as I'm playing them I may as well play the original versions since the console ports tended to be watered down by necessity for a long time.

Though really, I've never emu'd anything that needed a hard drive, and don't see anything that I really care to.

But the latest and greatest is the first thing a lot of people new to MAME lunge for.

Then cry because Cruisn' USA runs at something like 5FPS on their machine.

Edited by JB0

I'm not so lazy that I can't swap out a few files. Seriously, how'd some of you guys get along with mp3 players before the iPod?

Well, I never bothered to get into the whole MP3 thing, I have a pretty substantial CD collection, as in anything I want to listen to, I have so my good old CD walkman or minidisc player have carried me just fine up to now.

I of course agree with you to a point, it is uneccessary to have every video game ever coded in your pocket, there is a ton of crap out there, but I think it is a little too much of a P in the A to have to go farting around loading and unloading emulators and games every few days. Some more storage space would make it worth my while to get it done.

</sarcasm>

MAME. Hard disk images.

I'm big on arcade emulation.

Partially because my preferences lately have been more towards the kind of gameplay the arcade environment encourages, and as long as I'm playing them I may as well play the original versions since the console ports tended to be watered down by necessity for a long time.

Though really, I've never emu'd anything that needed a hard drive, and don't see anything that I really care to.

But the latest and greatest is the first thing a lot of people new to MAME lunge for.

Then cry because Cruisn' USA runs at something like 5FPS on their machine.

It might just be me, but a lot of the arcade games released since, at the latest, the Dreamcast have had pretty good console ports. And in many cases, a lot of the reason to go to play a game in the arcade is because of the setup. Cruisn' Exotica was a game I'd never bother with on a home console, but I blew probably $10 playing it at Dave and Buster's, because the console version fails to capture the arcade experience that included being linked with the other players and total force feedback from the seat.

That said, there were a lot of fun games from the glory days of the arcade. In my opinion, the single best reason to run MAME is for the old Robocop game.

It might just be me, but a lot of the arcade games released since, at the latest, the Dreamcast have had pretty good console ports.

True.

Heck, most of the modern arcade boards ARE home machines, with mild upgrades.

And in many cases, a lot of the reason to go to play a game in the arcade is because of the setup.  Cruisn' Exotica was a game I'd never bother with on a home console, but I blew probably $10 playing it at Dave and Buster's, because the console version fails to capture the arcade experience that included being linked with the other players and total force feedback from the seat.

Also true.

Cruisin' USA is still one of the first things a lot of people stuff into MAME after they download it, despite the fact that it won't run worth crap, and they don't have a half-decent control for it even if it did.

That said, there were a lot of fun games from the glory days of the arcade.  In my opinion, the single best reason to run MAME is for the old Robocop game.

I'll have to pull those down.

I've been hitting RType Leo pretty heavy lately. One of the more interesting entries in the series, and never had a home port.

The Asteroids series are long-running favorites, as is Rally X(car game from Namco, had the misfortune of coming out the same year as PacMan and Defender).

Oooh, and the Arkanoids!

I WOULD do Qix, but it runs too fast.

I think it's mis-emulated, but I've never had access to a real machine to check. It's possible the home ports all slowed it down for playability without a 4-way-restricted joystick.

GAH!

*fires up MAME, plays a few dozen rounds*

Snag the game "Sidearms" if you see it too, it is a sidescrolling shooter of the RType variety but with a tranforming jet as the player character. (This was probably a re-named Macross game and I am ignorant, but I couldn't stuff enough quarters into it as a kid)

On the PSP, I saw that some people are doing different things with it, a friend of mine wrote made a web based dice rolling utility and set up a portal so she can use her PSP instead of a dicebag at gaming sessions. Some poeple are doing some basic homebrew programming for theirs. Have you seen any interesting and unexpected applications for the PSP yet, aside from using it as a remote control for your home stereo or Sony robot dog that is :p

Snag the game "Sidearms" if you see it too, it is a sidescrolling shooter of the RType variety but with a tranforming jet as the player character.  (This was probably a re-named Macross game and I am ignorant, but I couldn't stuff enough quarters into it as a kid)

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9537

This game?

I'll give it a shot.

I've played a Sega game called Transformer that had a guy that turned into a jet.

Have you seen any interesting and unexpected applications for the PSP yet, aside from using it as a remote control for your home stereo or Sony robot dog that is tongue.gif

How does XBox memory card sound?

http://www.cq-ef.net/index.php?action=articles&sid=13

Edited by JB0

The Asteroids series are long-running favorites, as is Rally X(car game from Namco, had the misfortune of coming out the same year as PacMan and Defender).

It's funny that you should bring up Rally X, because it actually brings this thread back on track. Ridge Racers actually has Rally X as a minigame... if you score over 50,000 points, you'll unlock a special class car for the main game. Rally X is also supposed to be on the upcoming Namco Museum for the PSP.

Saw shoukyo no fafner being sold as a psp game at my local jap game store. Has anybody tried that game yet :p Also does it seems umd are now stepping over dvds ? Maybe a new era it starting time to invest in new stock what cha guys think. Also since game stop is taking over eb game I wonder when to buy stocks than :D

from Rich

It's funny that you should bring up Rally X, because it actually brings this thread back on track. Ridge Racers actually has Rally X as a minigame... if you score over 50,000 points, you'll unlock a special class car for the main game. Rally X is also supposed to be on the upcoming Namco Museum for the PSP.

Mmmm....

Nice to see it getting some appreciation finally.

I've actually been meaning to ask about the Namco Museum game. I was just curious to what games will be on it. Is it going to be like Namco's previously released anniversary games or will there be something different? I actually hope Sega chimes into PSP territory and release a pack of all the old Genesis Sonic games or other Sega made titles

I also wanted to know what you guys thought about a possible touch screen for the psp. I'm having a semi argument with someone on another message board about this and need some other people's feed back before I fully make my argument with him...

BTW, I'm against touch screens for the PSP. I would rather just have a mini keyboard

I've actually been meaning to ask about the Namco Museum game. I was just curious to what games will be on it. Is it going to be like Namco's previously released anniversary games or will there be something different?

Different. This isn't a full list of games for it (the full list is supposed to have over 20 games), but I'm pretty sure some of the ones I'm going to list aren't on the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube collections, and most definately not on the GBA collection.

Dig Dug

Pac-Man

Rally X

Galaga

Galaxian

Xevious

Mappy

Dragon Buster

Dig Dug 2

Bosconian

Tower of Druaga

King & Balloon

Grobda

I also wanted to know what you guys thought about a possible touch screen for the psp. I'm having a semi argument with someone on another message board about this and need some other people's feed back before I fully make my argument with him...

Well, let's start with the obvious first. The PSP's screen is NOT touch sensetive as it is. In fact, the screen itself isn't even actually exposed, but cased in a layer of clear plastic that covers the face of the PSP. So, to have a touch screen, Sony would need to do one of two things:

1.) Release a newer version of the PSP which will include a touch screen. And if you mean PSP-1000 series to PSP-2000 series, as in a PSP that's identical in every other way save for a touch screen that could be out by the end of the year, forget it. Not going to happen. Looking further into the future, Sony is very likely to upgrade the PSP line the same way Nintendo's been upgrading their Gameboy line for like 15 years. In that sense, who can say what the future will hold for the PSP 2?

2.) Sony could release a seperate, USB touch screen. I honestly don't see them doing that, and I would definately say an official Sony USB keyboard for the PSP is more likely than a touch screen for the PSP.

First of all Ghadrack where can i make my PSP into a remote for my TV that is cool!!!

Second anyone notice the placement of the USB port? Its at the friggin top!!!! putting a keyboard there is a pain in the butt. Granted they could re-route the plug but have the key board at the bottom but logistics wise thats annoying.

First of all Ghadrack where can i make my PSP into a remote for my TV that is cool!!!

That one is rumor right now. The PSP has an IR transmitter, some crafty japanese kids figured out that they can control their Sony robot Dog with it, it is speculation at this point but if it is capable of transmitting the signal to remote controll the dog, it is probably capable of transmitting to control many different Sony products. It will likely take a firmware upgrade from Sony to facilitate the function any further, or it could just be a fluke with the broadcast spectrum hitting on some of the Dog's signals.

I can't find the article about it this second but I am pretty sure I read it on Engadget or Gizmodo..

That one is rumor right now. The PSP has an IR transmitter, some crafty japanese kids figured out that they can control their Sony robot Dog with it, it is speculation at this point but if it is capable of transmitting the signal to remote controll the dog, it is probably capable of transmitting to control many different Sony products. It will likely take a firmware upgrade from Sony to facilitate the function any further, or it could just be a fluke with the broadcast spectrum hitting on some of the Dog's signals.

I can't find the article about it this second but I am pretty sure I read it on Engadget or Gizmodo..

As I understand things...

If it has an IR transmitter, then with the right firmware it can control ANY IR remote device.

It's all the same frequency, more or less. The big thing is getting the serial data pulses in. A remote control signal is a set of, say, 12 bits, and the LED flashes to tell the reciever what to do. So, say -**--*---*-* could be the power singal, and *-*-*-*-*-*- could be mute(assuming * is lit and - is dead).

If it has an IR transmitter, then with the right firmware it can control ANY IR remote device.

It's all the same frequency, more or less. The big thing is getting the serial data pulses in. A remote control signal is a set of, say, 12 bits, and the LED flashes to tell the reciever what to do. So, say -**--*---*-* could be the power singal, and *-*-*-*-*-*- could be mute(assuming * is lit and - is dead).

I dont even think it needs a firmware upgrade. just need a program like a wav to ir pulse like one of the ipod projects.

I dont even think it needs a firmware upgrade. just need a program like a wav to ir pulse like one of the ipod projects.

The BIOS may not allow direct control of the IR port.

If it restricts it to certain data packet sizes, you'd have an issue.

It was an April fools joke.

Hopefully something useful will be devised for the IR port.

I saw this for the psp in the anime punch forum but it for the 1.0 version I think thats the japan version and the american version is 1.5 I think

heres the thread

http://www.psphacker.com/2005/05/snes9x-fo...p.html#comments

from Rich