1/60 FAST Pack Upgrades

Lynx7725

Anyone knows whether the 1/60 Upgrades for the Valkyries without FAST packs will be made available?

It's almost a year since we first heard of it, I believe. And still no news, even though the probable last few 1/60 Valkyries have rolled into production.

For the uninitiated, Yamato was hinting sometime last year that they would produce a FAST pack upgrade for all 1/60 Valkyries produced without FAST Packs. By this time, the probable list of affected Valkyries would include:

• Hikaru-1A
  • Focker-1S (later a Strike version came out)
  • Max-1A
  • CF-1A
  • VF-1D

The Upgrade Pack supposedly include brand new legs for the earlier Valkyries which does not have the necessary holes to accomodate the Valkyries.

To be honest, it's more and more like Vapourware to me.. sigh. :( :(

Please, spare me the rhetoric about the 1/48 being better. I know the 1/48 is better and I'm sick and tired of being told to switch to 1/48 and generally people looking down on the 1/60. I like my 1/60s and would like to upgrade them if possible, okay? If you have no real contribution to this thread I would appreciate if you save the 1/48-ism for another occassion. Thank you.

Anyone knows whether the 1/60 Upgrades for the Valkyries without FAST packs will be made available?

It's almost a year since we first heard of it, I believe. And still no news, even though the probable last few 1/60 Valkyries have rolled into production.

For the uninitiated, Yamato was hinting sometime last year that they would produce a FAST pack upgrade for all 1/60 Valkyries produced without FAST Packs. By this time, the probable list of affected Valkyries would include:

• Hikaru-1A
  • Focker-1S (later a Strike version came out)
  • Max-1A
  • CF-1A
  • VF-1D

The Upgrade Pack supposedly include brand new legs for the earlier Valkyries which does not have the necessary holes to accomodate the Valkyries.

To be honest, it's more and more like Vapourware to me.. sigh. :( :(

Please, spare me the rhetoric about the 1/48 being better. I know the 1/48 is better and I'm sick and tired of being told to switch to 1/48 and generally people looking down on the 1/60. I like my 1/60s and would like to upgrade them if possible, okay? If you have no real contribution to this thread I would appreciate if you save the 1/48-ism for another occassion. Thank you.

The problem with the 1/60 upgrades is that the earlier versions of the 1/60's weren't equipped to attach fastpacks. The 1/48 was fairly easy because it was all planned in advance, and all they had to do was package the armor and it worked for all of the VF-1's. The 1/60's need different leg colors so you'd probably see "Hikaru 1/60 FP upgrade kit" and "Max 1/60 FP upgrade kit" and it would be increasingly difficult to make a accurate product run counts for each specific one. On top of that the 1/60's also needed new hip devices, new backpacks and new arms, and it is most likely too difficult for most people to take the 1/60 apart then put it back together.

How odd...I was just wondering the same thing a few days ago.

I am still a big fan of the 1/60's. I do not like the fact that they are being phased out. And I do not like that the fast pack upgrades appear to be forgotten.

Last I heard Yamato was "trying to improve the hip-joint." Well I think they have had more then enough time to do that, and to be honest I don't really care if the hip joint is improved.

Just release the fast pack upgrades "as is" so we can have them at least. The more time Yamato lets go by, the more people will be less interested because of the "1/48 is better, everything else is crap" syndrome.

Unfortunelty, it's not that easy to "jus release the packs". I bought a few VF-1Js for their packs but it's quite a task to put them on old valks. Besides the legs, the would have to give a whole new mold for the arm packs or a seperate forearm, then give us a new backpack and backpack/back joint which is a pain to replace. By doing so, you just replaced most of your old valk..... :(

My guess is that the pic we saw was just a fairytale

what strikes me as odd was the fact that it was just the 1J parts

Yamato might as well have used it to explain the parts used for the FP-Valks

(Remember the Strike 1S came out after the 1J! )

and as Kamui explained-

it'll probably cost you a new Valk, and only those brave enough will start dissassembling their FP-less valks

At this point, I'd be real surprised if the FAST Pak upgrades showed up. I think that it was a "what if" idea that not enough interest that went over well here but there wasn't enough interest in Japan so they killed the idea. Let's face it, Yamato will go in the direction that the Japanese market dictates, we're just a bonus.

Maybe for the 30th or 35th anniversary they might release remodeled 1/60's again, this time designed to accomodate Fast Packs (sold separately of course), and with perfect transormation. Just my guess.

As for current 1/60 fast pack kits, I think they are a dead idea. The leg holes weren't incorporated until the regular release CF, so they would either need to make separate kits (no way they would do that now, for the effort and cost involved they might as well re-release the valk, like they already did for Roy), or make one kit with a generic white leg and a big sticker sheet in order to accomodate all the DYRL colors. Something not many of us would like either, I'm sure. The backpack isn't really a complicated deal, the boosters could go on some kind of backpack adapter clip. It would be nice to put Fast Packs on my CF, but not really practical at this stage for the current 1/60's.

Actually the older/first release 1/60 valkyries did have those holes in the leg. It's just that they weren't drilled open for the upgrade, so you can see that Yamato had planned them, but didn't keep them initially... weird. The only thing that the original/first release valkyries didn't have was the expansion slots in the little backpack on the plane that flips over.

I am also one of those people who wants FPs for the 1/60 valkyries as well. It's easier on the wallet, and I don't really discriminate against the 1/60's at all. If Yamato really is ending their 1/60 line with the VE and VT, then at least I can go back and get the few that I missed (standard VF-1S, TRU exclv. VF-1A, and maybe my own Hikaru VF-1A), along with a couple VF-1S strikes and VF-1J supers for their FPs/SPs.

It would be nice to put Fast Packs on my CF, but not really practical at this stage for the current 1/60's.

Actually, the 1/60 CF is the least troublesome to addapt to accept the fast packs, since the only thing that needs to be done is to drill/cut slots on the backpack carapace to accept the booster mounts; it is not that difficult to do. I have done this on my single CF and the results were more than satisfactory. Once I get a hold of a digi-cam I'll post some pictures on the customs section of this site. ;)

Thanks all.

For the uninitiated, a short history lesson.

The idea of the 1/60 FAST upgrade was bandied around about a year back, and the original intent was to provide parts to upgrade the older 1/60 Valkyries to FAST standards.

As pointed out by some, the earlier 1/60 Valkyries suffer from the particular problem that certain arms, legs and backpack parts needed to be replaced in order to allow these Valks to take FAST packs. Back then there were 2 options available.

• The first is to simple produce the necessary parts (i.e. outer legs, arms and upper backpack) and package it, leaving it to the 1/60 Valkyrie owners to fix up on their own. Personally I would prefer this.
  • The second is to produce extra parts and send entire leg and arm assemblies so that the owners will have less problems upgrading. In addition, updated hip joints, gunpods, and upper legs will be included so as to give even more value to the consumer. This was the supposed direction Yamato would have taken.

Incidentally, the photos posted then (on both the Yamato "BBS" and here) were sort of to show what Yamato intended. It was all taken directly off the VF-1J which was already FAST-capable and upgraded with new hips (IIRC), so it's unreliable at best.

Anyway, the 1/48 came out and apparently this idea was dumped. Graham, I would really appreciate if you can either confirm or deny this project; if it is truly not coming, I would want to start procuring for FAST packs and self-mod.

As an aside, for those who are not familar, the CF-1A is NOT fully FAST compatible. There are holes in the legs and arms for the relevant FAST parts, but on one leg the holes are too small for the FAST packs which were produced later. Furthermore, the backpack also do not have the holes for the boosters. Both, as noted, are fairly easy to mod.

I'm still hoping for them, but have all but given up hope that we'll ever see them. The time to release them would have been relatively quick IMO. There is still possibly a very slim chance but I think they're extremely unlikely to happen. More likely (and still not very) IMO, is that we'll see another run of Hikaru, Max, and CF 1As that are FAST Pack capable but that come with the UMM and AMM clusters and Yamato sells the Fast Pack sets seperately like they do with the 1/48 (boosters, 2 missile pods, 1 strike-cannon, arm and leg armor, and the RMS-1 missiles). Such a FAST pack set should be pretty cheap (20-30 bucks?) as we don't need any extra parts. Of course, if there would be such a "re-issue" I'd expect the necessary parts would be there as it'd be simple to have a few extra of the necessary parts made.

The other non FP 1/60s? -1D just needs a set like I mentioned above as it's already FP capable. I think the Roy is out of luck as Yamato already makes (made?) the Strike.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure it's a dead project though. probably the interest from Japanese fans wasn't high enough to warrant going into production.

I certainly wouldn't buy them if they came out now. The 1Js and 1S Strike are all the fast packs I need in 1/60.

I would still buy some sets....

Me too!

All hail the power of the 1/60!!!!!!!!!!!

Me three! :p

I've had an extra set of 1/60's just waiting to be armored up for ages now, i really hope the don't scap the idea. :(

I really can't see why the wouldn't do it, i mean, it not like the actually have to spend any money to make anything new, all the molds and stuff are all ready there. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

If the did end up releasing them, i'd pick up at least 5 sets, maybe more :unsure:

I hear they'll be released right after Duke Nukem Forever. Visit EB and book yours today. <_<

Ouch. That one guy that pre-ordered DN:Forever cringes every time you razz that game. :p

My opinion: They are yesterday's news, old hat, passe and so forth. Much like a player trade to be named later they have been back burnered into oblivion.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this thread back up to the forefront. I guess it looks like the upgrade kits really are dead. Still, I was hoping Yamato would release a set of loose strike cannons and heat shields to upgrade the 1/60 VF-1J's without having to buy a 1/60 Strike VF-1S just for an extra strike cannon. The extra heat shields would be cool for customising.

As long as their putting their time towards the new YF-19 or 21 (in any new scale) then that's fine with me. Personally, I think Yamato has run the gamut of their 1/60 VF-1 line........it's time to shut the lights for good. The 1/48's are Yamato's cash cow now. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Ya know something just dawned on me when I was moving my Valks around. After looking at the

"Almost, but not totally FAST-PACK" ready VF-1A Cannon Fodder I remembered something...

...didn't Yamato apologize on their website for the mistake in NOT making it "totally" FAST-PACK ready and promise parts to rectify this?

Or am I thinking of a vivid dream involving Yamato toys, websites and FAST-PACK upgrades?

Sometimes I am not sure if some people understand english or not, the first message reads ;)

"Please, spare me the rhetoric about the 1/48 being better. I know the 1/48 is better and I'm sick and tired of being told to switch to 1/48 and generally people looking down on the 1/60. I like my 1/60s and would like to upgrade them if possible, okay? If you have no real contribution to this thread I would appreciate if you save the 1/48-ism for another occassion. Thank you." :angry:

I myself collects all the 1/60 line and the 1/48. The cost of 1/60 is lower and is easlier for most people to complete their macross(valkyrie) collection.

Just leave this thread to the 1/60 collector to voice their disappointment over 1/60 FP. I for one will pick up the upgrade set and fix up the FP myself if yamato release the FP kit.