Robotech Novelizations

Deacon Blues

Hiya folks!

Well, being that this is the appropriate place (I think), who wants to read the novelizations?! I’m not sure if this will be acceptable to post, and if it isn’t, well, many apologies about it. I know that these books have long gone out of print, so I though that I’d being them back again!!

Before this gets closed, it should be in the "other" section if anywhere. Also, these books are not out of print, they recently started pushing them back out as compliation pieces. Besides that, transcribing a complete copyright book onto the web like that, I'm not sure that's even legal.

*laugh* Whoops... guess that's why I don't post much outside of the other forum... as for producing them again, well, the last production of the trilogy packs was in October of 1994 and I haven't seen much sense then... *laughs again* legal... whoops... if the mods feel the need to remove this, I apologize...

Well i donno about you guys. But i read all of the books from 1-12. And think that they are pretty good. A few years back i didnt have acces to the internet nor could my local Anime/Comix shop get the rest of the "Robotech" DVDs (just the Macross Saga Legacy vol.1) So the books where the best thing i could get a hold of and find out what the heck happen.

So as far books are concerned regarding Robotech/Macross. I think they are good, cause it tells the story from another viewpoint, with more indepth relations. So anyone who wants another "view" of how it was during Space War 1...then i can recomend the Macross Saga part. Thou you have to ignore the protoculture stuff thou :)

-Jin

Actually these aren't available anymore because HG is rewriting them to their changed "official" story. (I am not kidding)

So if you have these things, then are void as far as HG and the 'official' story are concearned.

I know a guy who used to give lectures about this books!!! Go figure!! Lectures!!

I'm not kidding...he said that he was the only guy in a remote country in southamerica who had the whole R books collection. :D

Seems like some people can be actually proud about things that others dismiss...

I can see the future: this thread will have a very short life :lol:

*dodges the pelting*

It's been ages since I anything remotely related to Macross (aside from Macross ZERO). Don't kill me! This is why I don't do anything more than lurk!

Heh.. Don't worry about it man. You didn't know. Asside from some members that are treated like 'puss oozing leapers,' we all hate Robotech. It is the bastardization of Macross.

RIGHT HEAD:    Oh, stop bitching and let's go have tea.

LEFT HEAD:      Oh, all right.  All right.  All right.  We'll kill him first and then have tea and biscuits.

MIDDLE HEAD:  Yes.

RIGHT HEAD:    Oh, not biscuits.

LEFT HEAD:      All right.  All right, not biscuits, but let's kill him anyway.

ALL HEADS:      Right!

:D

*dodges the pelting*

It's been ages since I anything remotely related to Macross (aside from Macross ZERO). Don't kill me! This is why I don't do anything more than lurk!

It's a well-known fact to every Robojunkie at Robotech.com that mentioning Robojunk at Macross World is forbidden. You know, there's a reason it's called "Macross World" not "Robojunk World." If you want Robojunk, go to Robotech.com. This is where us Macross Purists kick it, you'll find very few Macross Purists at that other site...God damn, whenever I go there, I can feel myself aging as the pages load. :rolleyes:

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

I have to say before I knew about Macross I really dug those books, they added alot more character development, tidbits on the carrier operations, more everything......then I saw Macross and a had wee little bonfire :D But speaking of anime books, I heard they were reprinting the OLD Gundam novels.....any word?

You guys...

Yeah, I'll own up to reading every one of these books, back in the weird gray period when Robotech as a show was long gone, Macross was nowhere to be found in my neck of the USA, and I was a big time bookstore fiend.

They are actually not bad, in terms of licensed adaptations. Easy to read, identifiable with the cartoon version, but it's fairly obvious that much material had to be "thought up" in order to expand the episodes into a longer format.

Thanks for the links, Deacon - it was fun to look at these books again.

All of the "ew - Robotech is gross" talk can get a bit overzealous at MW, so don't take it personally. Just remember - it's not you being flamed so much as it is Harmony Gold. ;)

Most of us from America watched and enjoyed Robotech when we were younger, but almost all of us now prefer enjoying Macross as it was originally conceived - the way we never got to see it growing up, thanks to HG.

But there was a time, for me personally, when these books, a few terribly made VHS copies of 12 RT episodes, a badly repainted Jetfire, and tons of heavily discounted Matchbox toys were my entire Macross collection. I think at this point I'd heard of the show Macross by reading Robotech Art 1 and looking at ads for all kinds of cool Bandai toys that I couldn't afford to order from California - but Robotech was what was available. Now, luckily, it's a different world and I can watch Macross or collect 1/55's all I want...

But it's still fun to look back at the way things used to be and remember it for what it was.

IIRC - there were 3 other Robotech novels - all dealing with "lost" (ie- completely made up) stories set inbetween Macross and SC. I also seem to remember that Jack McKinney was a pen-name for two authors that collaborated to write the novels.

Found them on Amazon -

Robotech 19

Robotech 20

Robotech 21

All of them seem rather overpriced for used books - but that's Amazon and out of print for you. You could likely find them for a buck a piece if you troll your local used bookstores.

And here's more on the two guys who were - Jack McKinney.

Edited by Blaine23

This is where us Macross Purists kick it, you'll find very few Macross Purists at that other site...God damn, whenever I go there, I can feel myself aging as the pages load. :rolleyes:

Where us Macross Purists kick it? Where are we? In a bad rap video from 1989? :p

Ugh

The Jack McKinney novels should all be ritually burned and people should piss on the ashes. I, for one, am glad those pieces of trash have been disavowed by HG. Not only did they create problems with the continuity where non existed...the novels seem to portray a sadistic streak to hose the Southern Cross no thanks to that hack Macek . <_<

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Weird that this thread popped up, I have all the Robotech novels I purchased years ago, and just began re-reading them. I actually like them better than the Robotech series itself.

Because those novels don't have the following: AWFUL SINGING BY REBA WEST, bad dubbing, awful music, and the novels help fill in the many plot holes although they are not canon.

This is where us Macross Purists kick it, you'll find very few Macross Purists at that other site...God damn, whenever I go there, I can feel myself aging as the pages load. :rolleyes:

Where us Macross Purists kick it? Where are we? In a bad rap video from 1989? :p

Word! Funky fresh Macross purists reprazent! HOLLA!

I read all those books back in the day, years ago. Haven't touched them in ages and honestly doubt I will anytime soon, maybe keep them around because I loved them so much as a youth. :(

The novels, if you discount the "liberties" taken by the authors, are a great reimagining of the series. I personally despise the whole mystic and magical side of their ideas, but they do give a good amount of detail and fine points that you just don't get in any of the shows (original Japanese as well as Robotech).

And the authors actually had a few good ideas. Not many of them, but a few.

Still, I'm an RPG purist above all else, so that means I'm disliked by both Macross fans AND hardcore Robotech fans :p

Actually these aren't available anymore because HG is rewriting them to their changed "official" story. (I am not kidding)

No kidding?!? OMFG: I think I'll never fully get how much loser they are... :lol:

:lol:

hammer.gif

Please Supreme Kaioshin, don't hurt 'em! :lol:

Edited by Blaine23