Christian Bale is the new Batman!

UN Spacy

Christian Bale (Equilibrium) has been cast in the starring role of Bruce Wayne in Warner Brothers' upcoming new Batman movie, to be directed by Christopher Nolan and produced by Emma Thomas, the studio announced on Sept. 11. Jeff Robinov, president of production for Warner Brothers Pictures, made the surprising announcement in a press release.

Principal photography on the film is expected to begin in early 2004. The movie is written by David Goyer (Blade) and Nolan (Insomnia) and will follow the early career of The Dark Knight, the studio said.

"What I see in Christian is the ultimate embodiment of Bruce Wayne," Nolan said in a statement. "He has exactly the balance of darkness and light that we were looking for."

Bale has starred in Reign of Fire, Little Women, Portrait of a Lady, Metroland, American Psycho and Laurel Canyon.

News of Bale's casting comes in the wake of reports that the studio had recently held a "bake-off" of virtually all eligible young actors in Hollywood for the coveted role. British-born Bale joins Michael Keaton, George Clooney and Val Kilmer as the latest actor to put on the cowl and cape. The upcoming Batman film will be the fifth in franchise.

post-26-1063315280_thumb.jpg

No emoticon can fully convey my feelings of ambivalence on any new Bat-film. If they keep Joel Shumacher out of the studio for the duration of filming, there's a slim possibility that it won't suck.

What else has Christopher Nolan done?

Memento (With Joe Pantoliano), and Insomnia (With Robin Williams and Al Pacino)

All are critically acclaimed. With Insomnia being kinda dark.

Bale has starred in Reign of Fire, Little Women, Portrait of a Lady, Metroland, American Psycho and Laurel Canyon.

Dude, he was in Newsies too.

Anyway, as long as Schumacher has nothing to do with the film I'll be happy. I remember he once said that he wanted to focus on the comic in comic book. I just kept thinking that it was painfully obvious that he had not picked up a Batman book in decades.

the 1st batman movie is all that exists in my mind, it is all there is, there are no other batman movies. On a side note, momento, insomnia were wonderfully dark and creepy movies, so I feel there is a chance batman may be reborn as he should be.

Edited by GobotFool

the 1st batman movie is all that exists in my mind, it is all there is, there are no other batman movies. On a side note, momento, insomnia were wonderfully dark and creepy movies, so I feel there is a chance batman may be reborn as he should be.

I highly agree....Nolan is know for dark noir stories, sounds like a perfect fit for "Year One"-style Batman. Any word on plot yet?

Michael Keaton will always be Batman to me.

I always thought he would make a better Joker than a Batman, but Jack Nicholson was pretty good at it. As for Joel Schumacher, what he did with the Dark Knight is unforgivable. His Batman movies make the the 60's tv series look good.

Having seen him in Equilibrium and American Psycho, I think Chritian Bale could pull off a young, brooding Bruce Wayne.

Atleast Bale can do the "brooding" thing, and is credible as a kickass hero. Anybody seen Equilibrium?

I just saw that movie. It was pretty cool. Weird concept though. After the movie, it left me with a weird feeling that I couldn't explain. But the whole gun kata concept is awesome. Makes you wanna start up a dojo for that. :p:D:lol:

I think they should have quit making Batman movies after the secode one. :(

... I felt the same way, but if you see American Psycho, you will realize that Christian is one of the greatest actors of our time.

I think they should have quit making Batman movies after the secode one. :(

... I felt the same way, but if you see American Psycho, you will realize that Christian is one of the greatest actors of our time.

I'll have to check it out. But I'm skeptical.After Batman returns, all the others were just gay. <_<

You mean someone let him work again after Reign of Fire :huh: . Whatever.

I couldn't care less about Reign of Fire, after seeing his performances in Amercian Psycho and Equilibrium I think he's the perfect choice for Bruce Wayne. B)

You mean someone let him work again after Reign of Fire :huh: .  Whatever.

I couldn't care less about Reign of Fire, after seeing his performances in Amercian Psycho and Equilibrium I think he's the perfect choice for Bruce Wayne. B)

Other than the fact that he's a limey of course. :D

Bruce is Amerkun.

Nolan's Memento was really a good movie, and I felt the lead actor in it could have pulled off Bats too. Christian Bale is a pretty good choice, and has the good looks of Bruce Wayne to get the girlies into the seats.

Since they mentioned a young Batman, perhaps this movie is going to follow the Frank Miller/David Mazuchelli "Batman:Year One" storylin, ala movie Daredevil's obvious lift of the Frank Miller Elektra storyline. Year One was a great story, which I liked better than Dark Knight Returns, so even though I am in no need to see a Batman movie for a while after Schwarzenneger's "KEEL DA HEE-ROWWS!!!!" Bat-schlock 4, they seem to be picking people that will make a little more serious Bat-flick...at this point.

Arnie's Doc Freeze suit was kinda cool tho...in a 'C-3PO on 'roids' kinda way....

Since they mentioned a young Batman, perhaps this movie is going to follow the Frank Miller/David Mazuchelli "Batman:Year One"

Schwarzenneger's "KEEL DA HEE-ROWWS!!!!"

Any chance you would know of a link to a synopsis of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One?!?!

I was SO hoping on Patrick Stewart to play the part of Mr. Freeze. Sigh. :(

"Mercy.............Make it so!"

Since they mentioned a young Batman, perhaps this movie is going to follow the Frank Miller/David Mazuchelli "Batman:Year One"

Schwarzenneger's "KEEL DA HEE-ROWWS!!!!"

Any chance you would know of a link to a synopsis of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One?!?!

I was SO hoping on Patrick Stewart to play the part of Mr. Freeze. Sigh. :(

"Mercy.............Make it so!"

Compare to the animated Freeze, Patrick Stewart would have made a great Freeze. I've always thought that. I've only seen Bale in a few movies but I don't remember his skill so I can't really say if he is a good choice or not. Tough after reading this thread I will rent Equilibrium to check it out.

It's crazy to me to think that people enjoy Batman returns. IMO It was terrible!! It had great actors who played there characters poorly. I only like the first one and Batman Forever. Batcapides also ruined the series for me and I'm not to thrilled this knew guy either. I have enjoyed the others movies I've seen him in, but he doesn't give me the batman/bruce wayne vide. I don't know. I've been watching the animated series for to long. :( It's still funny that Beatle Juice was the best Batman. :blink:

Michael Keaton will always be Batman to me.

Meh. Adam West will always be Batman to me. :D

"Quick, Robin! Use my Bat-Shark Repellant Spray!"

:lol: Hopefully back to being dark and brooding and not hokey and mega-gadget laden. Then I'll watch this one.