Is the Evangelion manga worth reading?

Yes, very much so.

It's pretty much the same story, but with tiny changes here and there that give and alternate POV to events. Sadamoto also develops the characters relationships differently, and one might say with a bit more love for the characters he worked with for almost 20 years. And the manga has a rather interesting epilogue that raises some interesting questions. But like I said it's still the same story.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope they model one section to be a completely outdated interior, perpetually lit in sunset tones.

Plug-suited crew would be pushing things a bit over the top though. That'd be almost like combining mass transit with a maid cafe. Not that I wouldn't expect Japan to do it (or love to see it myself), but still.. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

61zkUUp9fYL._SL_.jpg

Anyone else picking up the series blu-ray set this month? That blue cube is beautiful (dvd set is red). Even without subs, I can't pass up the remaster, and can't wait to see how good EOE looks.

• 1 month later...

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/10/01/evangelion-episode-to-be-shown-on-giant-skyscraper-monitors-across-japan-for-20th-anniversary/

I remember this video. The date of the first day of the screening of the third movie was revealed at the time.

https://youtu.be/WiigKLPcYlw

Some new info, may be.

• 9 months later...

Not sure if I'm all that interested in a new Japanese Godzilla movie, but I can understand Anno's becoming a bit burnt out on Evangelion. I hope he enjoys his time away from it, recharges, and come back to finish it with a sense of care and delight, rather than a feeling of dread and pressure to complete it. Even stuff you care deeply about can seem a burden if you stay at it too long, or you begin doing it out of a sense of obligation rather than enjoyment. I enjoyed the first three Rebuild movies, and I look forward to the fourth once Anno-san returns to complete it.

I guess that means that the final film is easily a year away at this rate, assuming that they already have some basic groundwork laid.

You're being rather optimistic. I think the very earliest we see this is 2019 if that. Anno has said how 3.0 took everything out of him and he's not the fastest of operators as it is.

• 1 year later...

It's been a year since we last had activity in this thread, but we haven't exactly had much news now have we?

Well, its not much, but at least now we have a concept image/poster on the front of the Evangelion website (who knows for how long).

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/

"After That and THE END. Not and ANTI. Evangelion 3.0+1.0. In production by Studio Khara"

Evangelion 1.0 - generally same as the anime, up to Ramiel fight (pyramid Angel, super-laser, Operation Yashima)

Evangelion 2.0 - diverges more heavily from anime, Third Impact begins and ends after Zeruel fight

Evangelion 3.0 - Nerv (Gendo, Rei, Kaworu) vs. Wunder (Misato, Asuka, new Eva girl), Shinji plays a piano, Fourth Impact happens

...I'm fuzzy on that last one, I didn't pay too much attention to it owing to it tunneling so very far up its own ass.

25 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

...I'm fuzzy on that last one, I didn't pay too much attention to it owing to it tunneling so very far up its own ass.

lol :lol:

I don't think I ever even finished the original series and though I'm curious about the films I haven't been able to being myself to watch them. 

12 hours ago, Sildani said:

So.. what are the Eva movies, again? I lost track. 

Well, rumor has it the movies are supposed to be a sequel to the original series, in terms of how Shinji would have shaped the world after the events in The End of Evangelion. It's noticeable by the way the characters treat him, and other situations that were traumatizing for him on the series that play out entirely different on the movies.

That being said, i agree on the third movie being hard to digest. Too many things happening that made it hard to keep track of what was going on.

Still want to watch the last movie, though.