GI: 3d Printable Yamarcadia stand

ChaoticYeti

I didn't think about at first and realized the stands are designed for Yamato/Arcadia Valks. I think the stands are awesome, would you consider a version for Bandai DX Chogokin Valks too?

Thank you.

It would not be difficult.

Edit:

Edited by ChaoticYeti

It would not be difficult.

Best thing to cut down on parts would be to offer two different connecting parts to plug into the top of the stand, one part to accommodate Yamato adapters and another for Bandai's.

Also quite interested in these myself. A jointed, adjustable arm would be coolest for certain and could cut down on the need for multiple fixed arms for the different transformation modes.

I am interested in purchasing the Yamato/Arcadia version and if you decide to make a Bandai compatible version, I would be definitely be purchasing those. My Bandai Valks out number my Yamato/Arcadia Valks.

Looking forward to seeing updates on this awesome project.

I didn't think about at first and realized the stands are designed for Yamato/Arcadia Valks. I think the stands are awesome, would you consider a version for Bandai DX Chogokin Valks too?

Thank you.

Best thing to cut down on parts would be to offer two different connecting parts to plug into the top of the stand, one part to accommodate Yamato adapters and another for Bandai's.

Also quite interested in these myself. A jointed, adjustable arm would be coolest for certain and could cut down on the need for multiple fixed arms for the different transformation modes.

These are good examples of different connecting parts to acommodate Yamato and Bandai adapters:

post-12283-0-93034800-1396405333_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-18378600-1396405343_thumb.jpg

post-12283-0-06323000-1396405352_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-72404500-1396405358_thumb.jpg

I think we may be going overboard here, just because there are so many people who need stands.. hopefully not overwhelming the designer here. ;)

See, there's a part of me that wants to buy a bunch, but if the costs are too high to be practical for mass production, that's just throwing too much burden on ChaoticYeti to try and meet the demand.

I might need to see about getting one of those types of printers eventually though, my Up Plus II doesn't seem to print things nearly that nicely. :lol:

These are good examples of different connecting parts to acommodate Yamato and Bandai adapters:

attachicon.gifimage3990.jpg attachicon.gifimage3992.jpg

attachicon.gifimage3974.jpg attachicon.gifimage3977.jpg

I've seen that. A frontier stand is not a priority right now, but it is not outside the realm of possibility. I am trying to get all of my yamarcadia valks up on stands first.

Edit:

Edited by ChaoticYeti

I think we may be going overboard here, just because there are so many people who need stands.. hopefully not overwhelming the designer here. ;)

See, there's a part of me that wants to buy a bunch, but if the costs are too high to be practical for mass production, that's just throwing too much burden on ChaoticYeti to try and meet the demand.

I might need to see about getting one of those types of printers eventually though, my Up Plus II doesn't seem to print things nearly that nicely. :lol:

I have been tinkering with 3d printing for a few years. I have added it as a service along with my computer animation and such. I have mine dialed in to the highest quality I can get out of it.

And you are correct. I do not want to over complicate this. At least not now.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Your stands are amazing! I would definitely be interested in buying a few for sure! I did go through this thread but just in case I missed any comment you might have made regarding the possibility of making these available for purchase in the future.. What is your outlook on that possibility at this stage of development?

Edited by spanner76

Moderator: It looks like I am limited to the amount of pics I can have in this post. Is it possible to lift that? How do you want me to update?

It's limited in each individual post. You can probably post them as you go, and have no issues.

How many images can you post? I think we fixed this before but the recent server update might have wiped it.

It seems to be limited to each individual post, not the whole thread. I may re-organize my first.

Edit: Pics added. Post rearranged.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Have you considered doing a Kickstarter campaign to recoup your design time & prototyping investments? Then you could release the STL files to those who contributed, or go with a general release by putting it on Thingiverse.

I don't have a 3D printer myself, but my brother's built one. It'd be a way to let it into the wild, make some scratch, and not be burdened by production.

I have a Thingiverse profile. 3dyeti. If that is the direction people want to go, that's fine. I would rather see enough I interest to go the manufactured route. Not everyone has a 3d printer.

Updated post with a rendering of the adjustable arm, including a Frontier adapter.

Edit: Also added a render for the SMS base. I am currently printing one.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Wouldn't it be far cheaper to go the laser cut route with this design? The base would have to be simplified and loose the beveled edges, of course, but you could still engrave the kite.

It sure would. Do you have access to one?

Wow, very cool. If i had the 3D files for these I'd be using my pal's 3D printer to get my figures lookin classy! Only issue with that though is besides my Frontier valks and my VF-4....I don't have any of the stand adapters on my VF-1's anymore :( they've gone buh-bye during my last move.

Nice work, and definitely would be interested in picking up a few if these are made available for sale. One question though -- any possibility of running afoul of licensing issues that would shut this down (I assume the kite symbol and SMS logos are trademarked)? I guess the workaround would be just blank bases...

Nice work, and definitely would be interested in picking up a few if these are made available for sale. One question though -- any possibility of running afoul of licensing issues that would shut this down (I assume the kite symbol and SMS logos are trademarked)? I guess the workaround would be just blank bases...

I've been going back and forth on that actually. I don't think I will be able to get these manufactured in any manner save a shady one. I may do limited runs and just sell them through here. We will see. I will have to figure out a fair price.

I've been going back and forth on that actually. I don't think I will be able to get these manufactured in any manner save a shady one. I may do limited runs and just sell them through here. We will see. I will have to figure out a fair price.

A blank stand would be great too. Your design takes up far less space and it's more versatile for posing compared to the Bandai stand.

A blank stand would be great too. Your design takes up far less space and it's more versatile for posing compared to the Bandai stand.

There are many different colors of filament I could print it in, too.

Edit: I misread that. I thought you said black.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

I'm sure you cannot offer them through Shapeways due to copyright issues right?

On the other hand people on boards offering garage kits sometimes so I don't have any idea how licensing works for small production runs. Maybe it falls under fair use?

I think the stand looks cool. Do you have any idea how much this would cost? As cool as they are I think I cannot afford to buy a set of stands for my Valkyrie fleet if they are something like $100 plus international shipping. I know Shapeways service can become pretty costly when it comes to larger items.

I'm sure you cannot offer them through Shapeways due to copyright issues right?

On the other hand people on boards offering garage kits sometimes so I don't have any idea how licensing works for small production runs. Maybe it falls under fair use?

I think the stand looks cool. Do you have any idea how much this would cost? As cool as they are I think I cannot afford to buy a set of stands for my Valkyrie fleet if they are something like $100 plus international shipping. I know Shapeways service can become pretty costly when it comes to larger items.

That is the problem. These won't be cheap if I print them on my machine and sell them. I am thinking about doing a limited run sale on the site. We'll see what the reaction is to the price. If enough people bite, maybe I can drop the price on subsequent runs. The issue is I do this stuff professonially. Charging what I invoice a client for a rapid prototype...well you might as well buy up some Yamato VF-4's while you are at it. Stay tuned. I will try and figure something out within a week.