GI: 3d Printable Yamarcadia stand

ChaoticYeti

After playing with the different components I've made, I think this is the best setup for the arm:

Just the one elbow at the middle of the arm. If you want to use it, great. If not, do this:

I would include both the banking, and straight adapters for the tops.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Those look awesome! I'd love to have a couple of my own. Any chance you'd be willing to share the STL files? My Makerbot hasn't been seeing a lot of action lately :)

As for manufacturing, I'm thinking resin would be the way to go. Print one at max resolution, sand out the steps a bit, and mold it up. The bases can be cast in ordinary resin (I like Smooth-On's SC-321), but the arms would need something stronger. I'd probably go with Task 2 for the job.

Generic base printed. Do a barrel roll!

The generic base looks great. Its getting better and better great job Yeti!

Cost is the only thing stopping this from working at this point. I will get around to a manufacturer for a quote.

Keep us informed and thank you for working on this.

These are just so fantastic. To see the evolution from v1 to the current iteration is amazing. The engineering involved is so interesting.

I hope these become available to the masses.

Thanks! I started on March 31st and casually picked away at it last week. It is a pretty fun project. No one here has said "oh god please don't do it that way!", so I think the next step is to get machining quotes. Edited by ChaoticYeti

For your poll, I would definitely go for the blue/grey launch arm color that was on the Yamato release, and black. Also, for the stand you posted on the poll, is that the base it'd come with, or would it be the UN Spacy and SMS base?

Edited by Jasonc

For your poll, I would definitely go for the blue/grey launch arm color that was on the Yamato release, and black. Also, for the stand you posted on the poll, is that the base it'd come with, or would it be the UN Spacy and SMS base?

All I heard for requested options was black and clear. Other colors are not off of the table, but there would have to be enough demand. I would not be able to get the Kite and SMS bases manufactured, unless you want to pay the licensing fees and get Harmony Gold to get on board. Good luck.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cool. I'll be in.

I just designed my own and it is currently being built in Shapeways but man it ain't cheap! I did it more to teach myself a little 3D design then anything else so am willing to chalk the cost up to experience. But I definitely won't be printing any more.

Yeah, it was suggested that I just sell printed ones. I don't think people realize what that entails...

The final version of the stand is pretty sweet. I am excited to get rolling.

Edited by ChaoticYeti