The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

MP Inferno looks like the G1 cartoon model as most or all of my official MP's do which is good. Backdraft looks like an updated and poseable G1 toy.

post-21587-0-13052000-1467940667_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sh9000

Well, to each his own; far be it from me to tell other people how to spend their money. But personally, I think it's no contest. To heck with official, Inferno looks like butt, Backdraft doesn't. If Backdraft were more expensive I'd suggest paying the extra, but to find out he's actually the cheaper option really clinches it.

MP Inferno looks like the G1 cartoon model as most or all of my official MP's do which is good. Backdraft looks like an updated and poseable G1 toy.

image.jpeg

Seems like a spot on observation to me. I'm going with the toon because I never had the toy but I could see others going the other way.

Personally, I was torn between Backdraft and MP Inferno. Backdraft had a deal on its PO and the realistic alt mode looks great. MP Inferno is definitely going for the toon look, and Takara's innovation shines with the hidden ladder in bot mode. The way MMC has been going, I'm sure Backdraft will be a great figure, but Takara's innovation won me over.

Oddly enough I've never owned a single G1 figure, let alone Inferno. I've seen many posters mention Backdraft looking like the original G1 figure, so as I said I can't speak to that personally, I just think aesthetically it fits what I want for my MP Inferno. Fortunately though for this character in particular we got several options! I think amongst the options available everyone will find the one that "fits" for them, and that said I don't even think any of them look bad, I just prefer one over the others, they're all pretty excellent options, hell it looks like Dante may have built in LEDs. Takara is definitely nailing the hard core toon accurate look, and their engineering is as top notch as ever, I just don't think these newer releases fit in with most of the past ones that well, the vans in particular and now Inferno look a bit too toon like for me. With the vans there were no good third party options in my opinion, but with Inferno I actually had several options. Backdraft just has those extra little flares in both modes, more interesting sculpting, more silver and chrome, extra tampo, it just all seems to fit the aesthetic of MP-10 and up for a number of releases better then Takara's own new stuff.

The major problem I have with the new look Takara is going for is that I have MP-10 till MP-21 (even up right before MP Ironhide) that go for a different design. I don't say that a slavish G1 cartoon focused MP line couldn't work or that MP Inferno is a bad toy (on the contrary I love what Takara has achieved with the ladder) but for me consistency in the lines I collect is one of the most important things and I'm confused that others don't feel the same way.

Imagine when the Metal Build Destiny Gundam has the stylized look it was actually released in and MP Strike Freedom Gundam looks like the animation model. That doesn't go well together in my opinion. I can imagine a collector type that goes for only one toy from a line that is the most iconic (i.e. MP-01 or MP-10) where it doesn't matter what the other toys in the line look like. But I can't imagine that type of collector goes for Inferno as the most iconic G1 Transformer. ^_^

I still have trouble grasping the completionist mindset. I've always gone for the toy robots that I thought looked cool, or had a nostalgic fondness for. I've never felt that owning one part of a specific line committed me to buying a swath of related toys, or that other toys in that line by necessity belonged in the same display.

Consequently, I've had TF:Animated toys fighting Bayformers across my shelves at times, Alternators taking potshots at Cybertronies, and so on. The crowning glory of this mess is probably still Classics Grimlock opening the matrix in front of Cybertron Unicron("Me Grimlock have touch!").

The question would be if there is a norm for a collector.

I've got the impression from looking at collection images (toys as well as other collections) that people tend to group items together i.e. here is my G1 toy shelf, here is my MP shelf etc. From that I extrapolated that collectors would like to have a consistent displays i.e. the the MP Optimus prime next to MP Ratchet fit well together (which they don't imho). A good indicator would be that the 3rd party companies try hard to ape the style Takara for their MP Transformers.

I could be totally on the wrong track here tough. And while generalizing is sometimes a bad idea I'm really curious if there is a common mind-set that dives a majority of collectors.

When discussing toy collections in general, I don't think there is a norm. Completionists tend to be cut from a different cloth, and I would agree more with JB0 on that point. But a mainstream collector doesn't have to go to such extremes. It seems easier (both on the mind and the pocket book) to buy what you like.

If you are talking about displays, I think personal taste is hard to lock down too. There are those fans who have nice cabinets and shelves and stack their same-same robots like suits of armor. That works for some, sure. Others are into building creative dioramas, even taking their toys outdoors, and don't mind mixing it up. I like those displays because they can tell a story, whether it is mimicking the cartoon or just for fun/interjecting humor (like Treatment tends to do). I don't think there is one common method that trumps the rest. But again, my opinion is one of how many? I'm sure everyone has a slightly different spin.

As for Inferno, AE appears to have hit that pre-order sweet spot. Now I'm back to being tempted by a double dip, with my final concern being for the quality of this release. The first in-hand reports on Backdraft at TFW are indicating poor QC issues (stress marks, paint scuffing)... and that isn't comforting. : (

Edited by technoblue

Wow, nice collection, sh9000. Personally, the G1 toys don't do much for me anymore as a collector and as a toy guy. I feel a twinge of nostalgia, but quite honestly, I felt disappointed with them back in the '80s due to their lack of poseability. Modern stuff for me.

But, there's something to be said for Hasbro's packaging that really sold, and still sells, those old toys; the amazing boxart for Prowl just captivated me back in '84 (still does), which made my decision an easy one for first TF. (My funds at 13 were extremely limited, so I only had enough money for one 'deluxe' figure). Disappointment soon followed, however, as I unboxed him in the car on our way home and discovered that his leg was a solid piece and that lovely art was a beautiful lie. Innocence was shattered, replaced by jaded cynicism. 30 years later, MP Prowl restored my faith. :wub:

Kinda wish Hasbro would return to the old style of packaging with nice artwork, tech specs, the whole spiel. It takes up more room, and I guess most folks just throw it away, but it definitely makes a visual impact. I keep the packaging for all my TF toys, and well done packaging just enriches the experience of collecting these things, IMHO.

As for Inferno, AE appears to have hit that pre-order sweet spot. Now I'm back to being tempted by a double dip, with my final concern being for the quality of this release. The first in-hand reports on Backdraft at TFW are indicating poor QC issues (stress marks, paint scuffing)... and that isn't comforting. : (

Yea this is REALLY worrying me now, on TFW2005 there's more and more reports of bad QC on Backdraft coming in, I still haven't paid for mine at BBTS, oddly enough I paid for Willis without even a 10 day notice, for Backdraft I got my 10 day notice nearly 10 days ago and still nothing. He looks SO good, and so much better then the TT version in my opinion, but after Sphinx Alternative being perfect, I'm not liking that this first Backdraft could be a dud and they may release a fixed alternative version of him later like Sphinx. I want to ship my loot at BBTS but I was waiting on Backdraft, I'm probably going to take the day and decide if I want to cancel and then just ship what I've got, I know, I'm a terrible flip flopper.

Yea this is REALLY worrying me now, on TFW2005 there's more and more reports of bad QC on Backdraft coming in, I still haven't paid for mine at BBTS, oddly enough I paid for Willis without even a 10 day notice, for Backdraft I got my 10 day notice nearly 10 days ago and still nothing. He looks SO good, and so much better then the TT version in my opinion, but after Sphinx Alternative being perfect, I'm not liking that this first Backdraft could be a dud and they may release a fixed alternative version of him later like Sphinx. I want to ship my loot at BBTS but I was waiting on Backdraft, I'm probably going to take the day and decide if I want to cancel and then just ship what I've got, I know, I'm a terrible flip flopper.

You're not alone in flip-flopping. I was about to post that I caved and picked up MP Inferno at AE. :lol: :lol:

What can I say? Curiosity got the better of me, and I'm really interested to see how Takara engineers the joints on Inferno. I hope they are not loosey goosey like they were on Shockwave. The hips on my Shockwave, especially, had little if any side to side friction out of the box and required some coats of polish to help him keep certain poses without doing the splits. Getting more ratchets into Inferno's hips will help since he is supposed to be able to carry other car bots like Red Alert.

Edited by technoblue

Mine arrived today. I haven't had time to check it out but maybe I can give an update during the weekend.

[edit:] Mini review of Backdraft here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36937&p=1288853

Long story short: there is much to love about Backdraft but he is one of the weaker releases from MMC when it comes to fit and finish.

Edited by Scyla

MISB commemorative G1 toys. That's hardcore nostalgia right there.

Yep.

Wow, nice collection, sh9000. Personally, the G1 toys don't do much for me anymore as a collector and as a toy guy. I feel a twinge of nostalgia, but quite honestly, I felt disappointed with them back in the '80s due to their lack of poseability. Modern stuff for me.

But, there's something to be said for Hasbro's packaging that really sold, and still sells, those old toys; the amazing boxart for Prowl just captivated me back in '84 (still does), which made my decision an easy one for first TF. (My funds at 13 were extremely limited, so I only had enough money for one 'deluxe' figure). Disappointment soon followed, however, as I unboxed him in the car on our way home and discovered that his leg was a solid piece and that lovely art was a beautiful lie. Innocence was shattered, replaced by jaded cynicism. 30 years later, MP Prowl restored my faith. :wub:

Kinda wish Hasbro would return to the old style of packaging with nice artwork, tech specs, the whole spiel. It takes up more room, and I guess most folks just throw it away, but it definitely makes a visual impact. I keep the packaging for all my TF toys, and well done packaging just enriches the experience of collecting these things, IMHO.

Thanks. I still keep my G1 collection because the originals were my childhood toys and because of Diaclone and Kawamori influence.

Edited by sh9000

Well, I went to Target to get baby wipes, and I figured I check out the Transformers while I was there since I still need Sky Lynx. Sky Lynx was a bust, but they did have the first Deluxe wave of Titans Return. Some thoughts:

Blurr - I passed on him. I liked the IDW-headed Drift remold from awhile back, and while it's cool that the the new one has the more classic alt mode I can't stand how he's a nearly solid blue in bot mode.

Scourge - I picked him up because I've always loved Scourge's ridiculous space boat mode, and the previous Generations toy didn't scratch that itch for me. Objectively, though, the earlier toy is the better toy. Like Blurr, Scourge is lacking bot-mode paint, and the Headmaster gimmick gives him a shorter, wider head than you want on a Scourge. More irritatingly, I kind of wanted bigger wings, and doing so actually would have made him better in alt mode because they could wrap around under to cover the very exposed robot arms and chest. Meanwhile, there's some panels on his legs that fold out in alt mode to hold up the front end, but they break up the sculpt pretty badly.

Hardhead - He's... ok. Simple transformation, no major surprises. I wish they'd gone for the cartoon face instead of the G1 toy's mask, but he'll do until Fansproject gives me a Function-X Hardhead.

Skullcruncher/Skullsmasher - Function-X Crox doesn't come with any weapon besides a tail blade, and TF guns on Shapeways cost about as much as a Deluxe, so I figured I'd grab him and he could both stand in for Crox until I get around to ordering him, and provide a gun for Crox at that later time. But I gotta say, he's definitely the best of the first wave. His transformation is fairly simple, but I like the way the shoulders collapse into the crocodile neck. Plus, the crocodile head looks fantastic, with the inside of the mouth being molded from separate pieces than the outside, and it's fairly articulated on a ball joint. The crocodile legs are more limited, but I'd still say if you're curious about the line this is the guy to get.

The line in general - Typical Hasbro hollow spots in the legs and forearms and floppy joints. The neck is especially loose. Basically, the head robot has a ball joint for its own articulation. The head robot's head pegs into the torso, and then his neck doubles as the big bot's neck. All three of the guys I got have one regular gun and one larger weapon with a seat for another head robot, a gimmick that works best on Hardhead. I've heard people saying that Titans Return is a step up from Combiner Wars... I'll say that as long as these molds aren't milked to death, I can agree, but you still have to manage your expectations. They're better, but not hugely so and not up the level of the older Generations figures.

Nobody will ever do Starscream like Chris Latta; this version sounds a little too British. Tom Kenny's take was better, IMO.

I hope they make a toy based on how he looks in the show, and keep him streamlined in fighter.

Edited by M'Kyuun

A silver Sharpie marker can work wonders on Hasbro Blurr. I'll try to get some pics uploaded tonight, toddler willing.

Still have the Legends version on pre-order though, I don't mind getting both since the figure is awesome design-wise.

I passed on the TR version of Blurr for the Legends- the TR is just too monochromatic, and I have little talent for painting. I did pick up the Hasbro releases of Scourge, Skullcruncher, and Hardhead. I think the Legends release of Scourge looks better, but as I've never been that fond of the 'space boat' alt mode, I didn't feel like like spending the extra money for the TT release. They're all simple but decent figs- fun toys. My Skullcruncher's hips and thigh rotation joints are very loose. He'll stand ok, but dynamic poses are nigh impossible. I'll have to apply some polish or superglue to make them tighter. I wasn't going to get Skullcruncher, but that tongue in the croc's mouth won me over. :lol: I kinda think of him as a transforming Zoid. Looking forward to Wolfwire (Hasbro's Weirdwolf).

I'm anticipating the Legends release of Galvatron this month (hopefully). I've got UW Bruticus sitting in private warehouse and I want to ship it with Galvy. I had the Hasbro toy in my hands at TRU, but as I already had the Legends PO'd, I put it back. Went back to TRU yesterday, and they had zip for Titans Return figs- just a few RiD figs, none of the new ones, which I was looking for. I'm waiting to see a colored pic of Super Ginrai (TT's heavy remold of the upcoming Powermaster Prime, itself a heavy remold of CW Ultra Magnus) before I decide which version I'm going to get. Likely I'll go with the Takara-it has a more G1 ish cab section and the bot mode has ankle tilts. Ankle tilts on a figure this size should be a requisite.

I'm really close to quitting Has/Tak Transformers entirely, so even though Legends Scourge and Blurr look loads better than the TR ones, I can't justify spending double on them. I am probably going to go for Ginrai over PM Prime, though.

I'm passing on Wolfwire and Galvatron for sure, though. I just don't see myself liking them as much as Quadruple U and Mania King.

I can understand not double dipping, whether it be official or 3P figs. I'm generally reluctant to buy more than one of a mold, unless the differences are significant enough to warrant it, or if I just really like it (as with MP Prowl and the Fairlady variants, all of which I have, and love).

I still like a lot of what Takara and Hasbro are producing, esp in the Generations line. I'm certainly appreciating the G1 homages this year, even if most of the TR figures were made into Headmasters (a dumb gimmick that I could live without). So I'll likely collect official toys until I croak. But there is something to be said for the 3P toys, a great many of which are surpassing the official toys in terms of materials, build, complexity, and innovation, at a price of course. I tend towards official, but when a really good 3P fig comes along, like Ocular Max Sphinx, or Apollyon, well I have to bite. It's all a matter of opinion and financial capability. Unfortunately, I have much more of the former, so I've become quite choosy.

Thing is, I love the puzzle aspect of transforming toys, and with both official and 3P versions of the same figures being produced, I have a tendency to watch reviews of a lot of these toys, whether I actually plan to get them or not. I just love seeing the various engineering solutions employed, as well as features that each company imparts to try and set it apart and enrich the functionality or play-ability. I get a nice vicarious enjoyment from it. It's not quite the same as having it in your hands, but still an opportunity to enjoy the figure.

The advertising for Combiner Wars just feels like advertising- a bit too melodramatic and un-natural to my ears. Also, the voices for both Starscream and Windblade don't fit the characters. Windblade would have sounded much more convincing with a Japanese VA to go with her aesthetic, IMHO. And neo-British Starscream doesn't ring true to me either. I can buy his turning over a new leaf before I can accept the voice. Nostalgia, I suppose, but as I've mentioned, I think Tom Kenny's, and even Steve Blums's, takes on the character were better.

Well, images of Legends Super Ginrai are out, and... well, yep, it's very different than the Titans Return Powermaster Prime. I'm just not sure that different is actually better this time.

Well, images of Legends Super Ginrai are out, and... well, yep, it's very different than the Titans Return Powermaster Prime. I'm just not sure that different is actually better this time.

I'm still unconvinced with Ultra Magnus, the very first mold these two were based on. I think my hesitation has more to do with the fact that I'm not buying as many official releases in this scale today. i was into it with Transformers Prime and a few of the Generations releases. But after that, my interests got caught up in other things.

I'm still unconvinced with Ultra Magnus, the very first mold these two were based on. I think my hesitation has more to do with the fact that I'm not buying as many official releases in this scale today. i was into it with Transformers Prime and a few of the Generations releases. But after that, my interests got caught up in other things.

I have the Takara version of UM, and IMO, he's a pretty nice figure. He's not without his flaws, but few things are. He gets the job done for me, and scales well with the rest of my CHUG collection. As for Super Ginrai, there are things I like and things I don't. Overall aesthetically, I prefer the chunkier look and stylish cab on the Hasbro toy. However, Ginrai has much more poseable, albeit uglier, feet. The Hasbro version's trailer looks better, as it resembles the G1 trailer from front to back, whereas Ginrai's big red armatures for the arms take up the first third of the trailer- not as nice looking, IMO. Ginrai doesn't suffer from as much hollow limb syndrome as the Hasbro version. In the end, since I have UM, I'll likely go with Ginrai, since the changes are much more extensive, and although I don't care for how the feet look, from what I can see, it looks like they do a better job of folding out of sight in truck mode. I'll wait for the inevitable reviews of both before ordering.

Looking through the SDCC pics over on TFW2005, the new triple changer Megatron looks interesting, and will no doubt see a Blitzwing repaint. I wish they'd done Astrotrain G1 style- Sentinal Prime and his Astrotrain repaint both look beyond terrible to me. Also-Sharkticon and new Bumblebee (which looks alot like the previous CHUG version) look really good. I'm surprised they didn't make a G1 Kup figure in the line, since most of the other movie figs have been covered. And, still no Kickback to complete the Insecticons. :( Overall, though, I very much appreciate all the G1 inspired toys since 2015, this year, and carrying on into 2017. My CHUG shelf is becoming more crowded as my wallet becomes more desolate. :lol:

Edited by M'Kyuun

Woo Liokaiser officially announced! I'm probably gonna wait to see how the Takara version looks before I bite but he still looks good. Speaking of bites Gnaw looks great, I could see myself buying a few of them.