The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I'm really not a fan of the new look of these. The simplified cartoon style clashes with the detailed car pieces like the chest piece. It is only consequent of Takara to add an additional chest piece. I dreaded to imagine how this new aesthetic would look on a character like Jazz who has a real world alt mode and lots of car bits showing in robot-mode.

However since I'm not getting Inferno I'm gonna buy this. I'm glad they where able to hide the crane boom as well as the ladder it seems.

^Good, it's about time!

-b.

Yeah, no kidding. He looks a little...angular, kinda blocky, to me. The waist looks odd to me as well, but I'm guessing it's made of two panels folding around the front. I'll wait for color photos and eventual reviews, but aesthetically, Despotron looks better to me than TT's. I wonder if those legs are just simply going to tab together or if there's some well concealed origami going on to form the grip; with those bell bottoms, it'll be a funky grip if they just tab together. :wacko: Also noticed his feet don't have that little ridge around the base- for some reason, that ridge is a defining characteristic of G1 Megatron to me, and the feet just look odd without it.

Edit: Photoshopped pic appeared before I finished my post- looking better with color. Thanks to Bensimus for the shop-job, and to sh9000 for posting.

Edited by M'Kyuun

I gotta say, I think Takara is losing ground to third-party manufacturers. I commend them for their efforts, but I think that Mightron and Despotron are actually nicer: they're both beefier than Takara's Megs, and while it could be argued that Mightron's shallow thighs are a bit of a bug, or that Despotron leans more toward the comic's interpretation, they both at least have a menacing presence that Taka's almost scrawny Megs lacks. See for yourselves.

post-632-0-91496500-1473379616_thumb.png

post-632-0-33601100-1473379675_thumb.png

I'm still on the fence as to whether this is official TT, a KO, or some other third party trolling the rest with its own attempt at G1 Megs. The long legs I can live with if the joints are solid with a good degree of motion. The bucket head looks all right, but I'm not sold on the prototype's face. I hope that cleans up nice when we see it in real color instead of a digibash. The cannon is good, and matches DX9's cannon for aesthetics in bot mode. That abdominal area...what's up with that? It looks squished/scrunched and out of shape. The yellow detailing is hardly visible at all. On DX9's version, it is a smaller yellow stripe but still prominent.

Yeah, the lower torso/hip skirt area seems out of proportion. And if this is official, I hope TT is planning to clean that up too.

Edited by technoblue

In non-MP news, I found the second wave of Titans Returns Deluxes. And even though I keep swearing I'm done with Hasbro I picked up all four.

The worst is Highbrow. He seems to be a backwards retool of Scourge. In bot mode he's got a cockpit chilling on his back and he lacks the folding panel Scourge had to hide the mostly hollow lower leg. In alt mode, his legs make for a comically chunky tail and his arms fail to look like anything but arms.

Mindwipe is a little better. I daresay the way his legs become his bat wings is clever, even. He's a little awkward in both modes, though, and I'm not at all a fan of his organic bat head.

Weirdwolf (or whatever they're calling him now) is solid. The translucent red fangs make it look like he just ate somebody. No transformation issues. I wish the yellow parts of his leg locked in wolf mode. I prefer UUUU's leaner alt mode and more clever transformation, but compared to other Hasbro figures I'd say he's above average. He's the second best in the wave, and I'd say only Blurr tops him from the previous wave.

Chromedome is the star of the wave, and the only one I might even like better than the Function-X version. He's more dynamic in appearance, though he does that by borrowing from the IDW version. Usually 3P beats Hasbro with better articulation, but they're both lacking wrists and ankles, so that's a wash. Code sure have a better transformation, though. TR Chromedome is basically a retool of CW Dead End/Prowl/Streetwise/Smokescreen/Wildrider. That would be a bigger deal if that wasn't one of the best molds to come out of the whole CW line.

They had wave 2 of the Legends, but I passed on them. None of them seemed particularly worth $10 (and I'm firmly in the Frenzy is red, Rumble is Blue camp).

I've yet to see a single Voyager or Leader from TR. Those shelves are either empty, occupied by some version of AoE Grimlock, or sometimes Scattershot in the Voyagers and Skywarp in the Leaders.

I have been passing on store-bought Transformers since the TF:Prime figures were taken off the dollar store shelves and racks. And after trying a handful of 3P Headmasters, MP-scale and smaller, only Code:Virus and Combes Robin made the cut. I wasn't a fan of how the head gimmick affected head articulation.

Here' some interesting news for Shattered Glass fans:

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/09/08/hasbro-asia-shattered-glass-masterpiece-optimus-prime-announced-324592

MP-10 is due out in December and includes a black trailer. Even more interesting is how the news seems to imply that more figures will get the SG treatment. I wonder what other bots will be included? Also, I hope it doesn't fizzle like that EVA crossover. MP-11 was mentioned in the Optimus mini story, but EVA Starscream was never released.

I have been passing on store-bought Transformers since the TF:Prime figures were taken off the dollar store shelves and racks. And after trying a handful of 3P Headmasters, MP-scale and smaller, only Code:Virus and Combes Robin made the cut. I wasn't a fan of how the head gimmick affected head articulation.

Here' some interesting news for Shattered Glass fans:

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/09/08/hasbro-asia-shattered-glass-masterpiece-optimus-prime-announced-324592

MP-10 is due out in December and includes a black trailer. Even more interesting is how the news seems to imply that more figures will get the SG treatment. I wonder what other bots will be included? Also, I hope it doesn't fizzle like that EVA crossover. MP-11 was mentioned in the Optimus mini story, but EVA Starscream was never released.

From TAG Hobby;

SCC1.jpg

http://www.taghobby.com/1-0/1-1/takaratomy-asia-2016%E5%B9%B412%E6%9C%88%E7%99%BC%E5%94%AE-master-piecemp-series%E3%80%8Atransformers%E3%80%8B-shattered-glass-optimus-prime/

-b.

Thanks for linking to taghobby, kb.

Well, one man's trash is another man's treasure. ;) I think it's great that we all can enjoy Transformers and still have our own favorite themes.

I don't mean it as a slight to anyone who likes it, I just mean that, well, he's kind of boring. The translucent parts are green, the red is purple, but the gray is still gray and the blue is still blue (albeit darker). Where's the weathering? Where's the "Til All Are Gone" graffiti? The MP-10 KOs done in SG colors had that stuff.

I don't mean it as a slight to anyone who likes it, I just mean that, well, he's kind of boring. The translucent parts are green, the red is purple, but the gray is still gray and the blue is still blue (albeit darker). Where's the weathering? Where's the "Til All Are Gone" graffiti? The MP-10 KOs done in SG colors had that stuff.

Oh no, no... I wasn't reading what you wrote as a slight or anything like that. I just don't see it as boring. I don't mind if you do, or if anyone else likes other versions better. MP-10 has had the most repaints, after all.

IMO, I really like how this version and the KO are different interpretations of SG Prime. The Hasbro Asia version is tempting because the purple appears to have the same metallic fleck that MP Tracks has added to his finish. It's a nice effect. And then there is the trailer...

I guess I have to admit it isn't as inspired as MP-10EVA's trailer, but I was thinking it would be easy to add some Decepticon symbols and use it with MP-10B too.

The KO has nice matte paint details. The yellow highlights and printing may be more accurate to SG too. My concern with it, though, is it doesn't have great QC marks.

I do feel like they really have a good design team the last few years on MPs.

I actually just got my TRU exclusive star scream and I am rather disappointed. His fuselage won't slide down to finish the chest like its to tight. And there are horrific nub and stressed areas all over the parts. Sadly can't return him or anything cause I got him from a convention over the weekend.

Hey guys I'm wondering if you can help me find the best Megatron to actually buy??? I don't want the masterpiece one, don't care for the giant size, are there any good KO options? Or are we all patiently waiting for someone to do a better one, or Takara to try again?

What size do you want? If you want smaller than the original MP Megatron, but still sized with MP-10, you have six-ish options. The first three should be available about now, the second three are still a ways off.

X-Transbots Apollyon: this was the first "MP" Megatron after the original MP-5, and while it was a big improvement over MP-5 it has some issues with QC, frustrating transformation, and (IMHO) kibbly legs and too soft of a face sculpt.

post-187-0-09708500-1473729046_thumb.jpg

DX9 Mightron: Simple transformation, great head, good proportions on the fusion cannon, and currently the cheapest "MP" option. Some people don't like the legs, though, he carries a bit of kibble on his back, and he's got hollow gaps in his chest visible under his arm pits. Confusingly, DX9 also has a Legends-scale Megatron also named Mightron.

post-187-0-19700700-1473729054_thumb.jpg

Maketoy's Despotron: He's the beefiest option, for better or worse. Some people are iffy on the head. Has a clever transformation that does a great job of hiding kibble like his trigger, but has the most sacrifices in gun mode. This is the one I'd personally go with.

post-187-0-77573000-1473729060_thumb.jpg

Bold Forms Gladius the Dark Emperor: An interesting take that will supposedly have both a handgun and a tank mode. He's based more on Megatron's design in IDW's Transformers: Escalation series than G1, though, which has a lot of people wondering why he's MP-sized and not Voayger-sized, since there's a perception that MP-scale figures need to be G1 and only G1. Also, it's the second project from the guys who gave us Lone Wolf, who wasn't well-liked.

post-187-0-79360500-1473729805.jpg

Rumored MP Megatron: photos recently leaked of a prototype figure that's supposedly a new Takara MP Megatron. We don't know if it's for real or not.

post-187-0-98364100-1473729067_thumb.jpg

Generation Toy GT-2 Leader: The least G1 of the Megatrons on this list. He's based on another IDW design, and turns into a stealth bomber. If you're into it, though, GT's also doing an IDW Optimus Prime to go with him.

post-187-0-67007500-1473730365_thumb.jpg

If that's still too big, there's Combiner Wars Leader-class Megatron:

post-187-0-96853400-1473729181_thumb.jpg

Going smaller into the more Voyager-sized toys, there's ToyWorld's Hegemon: I personally own this one; he's not the greatest, but he's not too hard to transform and he scales great with the Voyager-sized MP-10 KO.

post-187-0-40271800-1473729073_thumb.jpg

There's also Megasteel's Granville/Tronus. He's based on yet another IDW design, and isn't supposed to be very good.

post-187-0-04816300-1473730152_thumb.jpg

If you can wait a month or three, Maketoys has Rioter Despotron, an original Megatron-inspired design that's part of their Cross Dimension series

post-187-0-81857500-1473729078_thumb.jpg

Hasbro is also working on a Voyager-class Megatron for the Titans Return line.

post-187-0-14245700-1473729171_thumb.jpg

There's also Classics "Nerf Gun" Megatron floating around with a few repaints.

post-187-0-24947700-1473730826_thumb.jpg

I think that about covers your options from Voyager through MP. If you want smaller still, I can go over your Deluxe and Legends-sized options.

Edited by mikeszekely

I am probably in the minority, but I would prefer the new MP Megatron to transform into a tank like in the Transformers Devastation game.

This would also give Takara the opportunity to milk the mold at least one more time for a G2 version.

I don't disagree seeing the toy gun laws around the world and the have to modification for it to come to the US. This is one of those figures that'll probably well sought for because hasbro won't release it even as an exclusive.