SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! ADVANCED COPY OF KEY SCRIPT SCENES IN TF: 4 !!!

OPTIMUS PRIME: LET'S KILL 'EM ALL NOW!!!!!

SAM: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

PROFESSOR CLIFFORD D. MAYBERRY III: The Decepticons are going to blow up the sun to collect the energy from the explosion!!!

GRIMLOCK: Indeed, this vile conspiracy cannot stand. I plead with you - summon your will, summon your dreams and hopes for a better tomorrow; let not the ferver of hatreds past light the fires of dawn's light by way of the morning dew of the milky swan!

STUNTICONS RACE IN AND TRANSFORM INTO MENASOR

MENASOR: GRAAABLAAAGRAAAHH!!!!

* FIGHT SCENE *

IMPACTOR SHOOTS RATCHET WHO CLAWS HIS WAY THROUGH RUMBLE WHO FIRES ON THE BUILDING WHO BLOWS UP THE SUN - ALL IN 2 SECONDS AND ONE TAKE

DEVASTATOR: I LIVE AGAIN!!!

CARLY: SAM I LOVE YOU!!!

EPPS: AW MAN! AW $HIT MAN!!! AW PUCK MAN!!! AW MAN!!!

GENERAL WARREN R.W. ROWENS: YO JO!!!

BUMBLEBEE: HERE'S LOOKIN' AT YOU KID!!!

MEGATRON: WHEN I POSSESS THE POWER OF THE KEY TO VECTOR SIGMA -I WILL TRANSFORM THE SUN INTO UNICRON AND HE WILL EAT THE EARTH!!! GRAAHH!!!!

SAM: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

KICKBACK BLASTS BACKSTOP WHO STABS POWERGLIDE WHILE HE'S IN THE AIR FLYING UNDER THE BROOKLIN BRIDGE WITH A GIANT ROBOT PYTHON STRAPPED TO HIS TORSO (1 SHOT, 0.5 SECONDS)

OPTIMUS PRIME: HEROS ARE NOT BORN, THEY ARE NOT MADE THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE!

SAM: OOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPTTTTIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

CARLY: SAAAAAAAAMM!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

STARSCREAM: I LIVE!!!

SOUNDWAVE: ME TOO!!!

SHOCKWAVE: GRAHRRRAAAHMMMRRAWWWWRRRGGRRRFFFRRR!!!!

LAZERBEAK: MEGATRON!! THE SUN HAS ENTERED PLUTO'S ORBIT AND UNICRON HAS COME OUT OF THE SPACE BRIDGE AND EATEN MOON BASE 1!!!

JAZZ: PUCKIN' BITCHES WASSSUP!?!?!?!?

TRIPWIRE: I IS AFRO!

WIRETRIPER: QUE PASSA HOMBRE!!??!

DOGBITE: MAMA MIA!!!!!

LONG SHOT: AH SO!!!!

GRIMLOCK: IT IS INCESSENTLY NECESSARY TO NECESSARILY RECOGNIZE THE UTTER POSSIBILITY OF VICTORY COMING AT THE EXPENSE OF OUR HUMANITY. OH - TO BE, OR NOT TO BE?!

PRIME: KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!

THE END.

To hell with G1. How about a Beast Wars Live action film??

Trukk not munky!!!

I kid, I kid. While I prefer the concept of giant robots that turn into vehicles, Beast Wars had some really good writing, and I do enjoy it.

Same here, The bottle of Coke I'm drinking is so wet right now I can barely even hold it. :p

Condensation? Condescension?

...SPELLING! *shakes an angry fist*

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! ADVANCED COPY OF KEY SCRIPT SCENES IN TF: 4 !!!

OPTIMUS PRIME: LET'S KILL 'EM ALL NOW!!!!!

SAM: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

PROFESSOR CLIFFORD D. MAYBERRY III: The Decepticons are going to blow up the sun to collect the energy from the explosion!!!

GRIMLOCK: Indeed, this vile conspiracy cannot stand. I plead with you - summon your will, summon your dreams and hopes for a better tomorrow; let not the ferver of hatreds past light the fires of dawn's light by way of the morning dew of the milky swan!

STUNTICONS RACE IN AND TRANSFORM INTO MENASOR

MENASOR: GRAAABLAAAGRAAAHH!!!!

* FIGHT SCENE *

IMPACTOR SHOOTS RATCHET WHO CLAWS HIS WAY THROUGH RUMBLE WHO FIRES ON THE BUILDING WHO BLOWS UP THE SUN - ALL IN 2 SECONDS AND ONE TAKE

DEVASTATOR: I LIVE AGAIN!!!

CARLY: SAM I LOVE YOU!!!

EPPS: AW MAN! AW $HIT MAN!!! AW PUCK MAN!!! AW MAN!!!

GENERAL WARREN R.W. ROWENS: YO JO!!!

BUMBLEBEE: HERE'S LOOKIN' AT YOU KID!!!

MEGATRON: WHEN I POSSESS THE POWER OF THE KEY TO VECTOR SIGMA -I WILL TRANSFORM THE SUN INTO UNICRON AND HE WILL EAT THE EARTH!!! GRAAHH!!!!

SAM: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

KICKBACK BLASTS BACKSTOP WHO STABS POWERGLIDE WHILE HE'S IN THE AIR FLYING UNDER THE BROOKLIN BRIDGE WITH A GIANT ROBOT PYTHON STRAPPED TO HIS TORSO (1 SHOT, 0.5 SECONDS)

OPTIMUS PRIME: HEROS ARE NOT BORN, THEY ARE NOT MADE THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE!

SAM: OOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPTTTTIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

CARLY: SAAAAAAAAMM!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

STARSCREAM: I LIVE!!!

SOUNDWAVE: ME TOO!!!

SHOCKWAVE: GRAHRRRAAAHMMMRRAWWWWRRRGGRRRFFFRRR!!!!

LAZERBEAK: MEGATRON!! THE SUN HAS ENTERED PLUTO'S ORBIT AND UNICRON HAS COME OUT OF THE SPACE BRIDGE AND EATEN MOON BASE 1!!!

JAZZ: PUCKIN' BITCHES WASSSUP!?!?!?!?

TRIPWIRE: I IS AFRO!

WIRETRIPER: QUE PASSA HOMBRE!!??!

DOGBITE: MAMA MIA!!!!!

LONG SHOT: AH SO!!!!

GRIMLOCK: IT IS INCESSENTLY NECESSARY TO NECESSARILY RECOGNIZE THE UTTER POSSIBILITY OF VICTORY COMING AT THE EXPENSE OF OUR HUMANITY. OH - TO BE, OR NOT TO BE?!

PRIME: KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!

THE END.

Haha, hilarious! I noticed Sam didn't say "no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in the most recent instalment.

Why are most of these arguments "all or nothing"?

I agree that the original G1 designs may not work in a live-action format. But why can't we see cool-looking robots instead of scrap-metal mountains, then? They might even manage to make proper toys out of them then.

And it's not just their appearance, they hardly interact at all with the human cast, which is way over-crowded anyway. The stories in these damn movies are so broken up they almost metaphorically resemble the mess of spare parts that make up the Transformer designs. Is that supposed to be irony or poetic justice or something?

I watched Revenge of the Fallen again the other day, after a couple of years. Jesus... There seemed to be so fewer Transformers than in the first movie, even though technically there were more!

"Such and such wouldn't work in live action" has actually been disproved many times, like with Spider-Man, etc. I never thought they would keep that cheesy suit the same. But they did. In X-Men, they got rid of the yellow and blue suits -- but they left in the characters' personalities. Isn't it funny how X-Men is not the story of Senator Kelly and his political battle to pass the mutant registration act? It's the story of Charles Xavier, Wolverine and Magneto, and they act just like Xavier, Wolverine and Magneto should.

I'm not saying "EVERYTHING HAS TO BE IDENTICAL TO G1", but if you're gonna put Optimus in a movie, DO NOT give him lines like "ANY LAST WORDS??" then have him shoot a now-harmless decepticon IN THE FACE. It's like Charles Xavier randomly getting up from his wheelchair and helping himself to some ice-cream. That's not doing justice to the character.

So, not only can we no longer identify the characters visually, but we do not know who the F they are through their actions, either. Megatron grovelling at the Fallen's feet? Whatever happened to "NOBODY SUMMONS MEGATRON!! I BELONG TO NOBODY!!"?

I think the first Bay movie, though it had plenty of issues, was OK. It should have had more characterization, but that's OK. I thought there would be room for improvement in the sequel. Then no.2 came along and they just went in the opposite direction, more of the bad, less of the good. The 3rd doesn't come out for a few more weeks over here, but I still don't know if I want to go. I definitely want them to go back and see what was good about the original TF stories and characters and just do something with that. We know that the scriptwriters are good, but we also know that Bay screwed up their scripts into nonsense. Enough is enough.

Wouldn't it be cool if Transformers was praised for its own merits as a movie, rather than how much money it made?

Well here's what Don Murphey said on his forums recently towards the fans on his thoughts for the 4th film.

"What happens next? Certainly not a reboot. We haven't lost the Transformers. They didn't grow up or become expensive like Toby Maguire. I don't know what happens next. I'm pretty sure there will be a second trilogy. I am pretty sure it will kick ass. And I am pretty sure some of you will hate it because it wasn't all bots.
"

I disagree with one of your points, therefore nothing you said is valid.
The 3rd doesn't come out for a few more weeks over here, but I still don't know if I want to go. I definitely want them to go back and see what was good about the original TF stories and characters and just do something with that.
I recommend checking it out. For me, it was the best of the three. There is an actual sense of peril throughout much of the movie that the previous two lacked.
Wouldn't it be cool if Transformers was praised for its own merits as a movie, rather than how much money it made?
Hi. I'm on the internet, therefore I'm required by law to respond to touchy-feely statements like this with either "Tough shyt." or "Then make your own movie.".

edit : :p @ the auto-censor

Edited by RD Blade

"Such and such wouldn't work in live action" has actually been disproved many times, like with Spider-Man, etc. I never thought they would keep that cheesy suit the same. But they did. In X-Men, they got rid of the yellow and blue suits -- but they left in the characters' personalities. Isn't it funny how X-Men is not the story of Senator Kelly and his political battle to pass the mutant registration act? It's the story of Charles Xavier, Wolverine and Magneto, and they act just like Xavier, Wolverine and Magneto should.

Just because it can/does work for X franchise in no way reflects that it'll work for Y franchise. The whole debate is pointless anyways if what Don Murphy has been quoted saying turns up true. You wont see drastic design changes, and you wont see a reboot.

I agree that the original G1 designs may not work in a live-action format. But why can't we see cool-looking robots instead of scrap-metal mountains, then? They might even manage to make proper toys out of them then.

And it's not just their appearance, they hardly interact at all with the human cast, which is way over-crowded anyway. The stories in these damn movies are so broken up they almost metaphorically resemble the mess of spare parts that make up the Transformer designs. Is that supposed to be irony or poetic justice or something?

I watched Revenge of the Fallen again the other day, after a couple of years. Jesus... There seemed to be so fewer Transformers than in the first movie, even though technically there were more!

I'm not saying "EVERYTHING HAS TO BE IDENTICAL TO G1", but if you're gonna put Optimus in a movie, DO NOT give him lines like "ANY LAST WORDS??" then have him shoot a now-harmless decepticon IN THE FACE. It's like Charles Xavier randomly getting up from his wheelchair and helping himself to some ice-cream. That's not doing justice to the character.

So, not only can we no longer identify the characters visually, but we do not know who the F they are through their actions, either. Megatron grovelling at the Fallen's feet? Whatever happened to "NOBODY SUMMONS MEGATRON!! I BELONG TO NOBODY!!"?

I think the first Bay movie, though it had plenty of issues, was OK. It should have had more characterization, but that's OK. I thought there would be room for improvement in the sequel. Then no.2 came along and they just went in the opposite direction, more of the bad, less of the good. The 3rd doesn't come out for a few more weeks over here, but I still don't know if I want to go. I definitely want them to go back and see what was good about the original TF stories and characters and just do something with that. We know that the scriptwriters are good, but we also know that Bay screwed up their scripts into nonsense. Enough is enough.

You're addressing (I think) multiple people and points of view and these views are not necessarily all of G1 vs. all of the live action films.

For my .02 the G1 argument was purely about the design of the Transformers in their bot-mode and how that would not translate to mass appeal or box office success, not how the actual characters would act in a given situation. Optimus Prime killing the giant miscellaneous-con in the beginning of ROTF was incredibly out of character for the Prime we grew up with or know from the many cartoons and/or comics, but totally in character for what was created for the live-action movies - especially after viewing the trilogy on a whole.

Unfortunately I think the subject matter alone would make praise for a Transformer on the merits of pure script or movie-making pedigree are pretty slim. I mean...it's sentient robots that turn into cars for the sake of hiding in plain sight AKA either 1/2 hour animated commercials or 3 hour long commercials for children/adult collectors toys and merchandise. ;)

And most of us fans being big kids or adult collectors we eat this stuff up.

-b.

For my .02 the G1 argument was purely about the design of the Transformers in their bot-mode and how that would not translate to mass appeal or box office success, not how the actual characters would act in a given situation. Optimus Prime killing the giant miscellaneous-con in the beginning of ROTF was incredibly out of character for the Prime we grew up with or know from the many cartoons and/or comics, but totally in character for what was created for the live-action movies - especially after viewing the trilogy on a whole.

I don't care if they don't look 100% the same, as long as we can tell who's who, and care about the characters.

If the merciless killer Prime of the movies is exactly what the producers/audience want, then fine, so be it. But then they should take away the "freedom is the right of all sentient beings" line from the character's dialogue, which is in the first movie. And they should not have put Peter Cullen's voice in there, either, then, since we all think G1 Prime immediately upon hearing it.

Unfortunately I think the subject matter alone would make praise for a Transformer on the merits of pure script or movie-making pedigree are pretty slim. I mean...it's sentient robots that turn into cars for the sake of hiding in plain sight AKA either 1/2 hour animated commercials or 3 hour long commercials for children/adult collectors toys and merchandise. ;)

Potentially, you can make a good movie out of whatever ridiculous concept you can think of.

Just because it can/does work for X franchise in no way reflects that it'll work for Y franchise.

You seem to be categorically disagreeing rather than actually making a counterpoint. Wolverine and Cyclops and Jean Grey act pretty much identical to their comic counterparts in the movies. Would it have hurt so much to have Ratchet actually fix something, since he is referred to as the medic? Was Jazz the Earth-loving kind of bot we all know? Who is Jolt? Why is he there? Should we care that Arcee got killed (did anyone even notice)? You're saying this worked better as is, without having followed the X-Men example? What is so bad about characterization? What specifically would not work? I'm not saying we should have Dinobots or something, I'm saying these movies should be about the characters.

Then again, you did also say:

The whole debate is pointless anyways if what Don Murphy has been quoted saying turns up true. You wont see drastic design changes, and you wont see a reboot.

Which is basically "eat it and shut up," so all I can say is touche'.

Renato makes some great points - but I think the box office of the three movies will sway the execs.

Then again - this isn't necessarily bad. let the movies have mass appeal, that way at least TF will have plenty of money to continue. Maybe instead of placing our hopes in the movie franchise, G1 fans should be happy to look elsewhere? like the idea of g1 #81?

pete

You seem to be categorically disagreeing rather than actually making a counterpoint. Wolverine and Cyclops and Jean Grey act pretty much identical to their comic counterparts in the movies. Would it have hurt so much to have Ratchet actually fix something, since he is referred to as the medic? Was Jazz the Earth-loving kind of bot we all know? Who is Jolt? Why is he there? Should we care that Arcee got killed (did anyone even notice)? You're saying this worked better as is, without having followed the X-Men example? What is so bad about characterization? What specifically would not work? I'm not saying we should have Dinobots or something, I'm saying these movies should be about the characters.

Then again, you did also say:

Which is basically "eat it and shut up," so all I can say is touche'.

We appear to be arguing two different points. I'm specifcally referring to aesthetics, not characterization. In which case "deal with it" is probaly the only answer your going to get without a reboot and that doesn't seem likely. Therefore arguing about whether or not you are going to see g1esque characters is probably futile, as it isn't likely to change.

Characterization is another matter enitrely, and I don't necessarily disagree with you on those points. They can easily bring the current tfs more in line with their already established traits without rebooting the show.

Id actually love to see them introduce little to no characters (at least autobots) and flesh out who we have more in any future movies.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Characterization is another matter enitrely, and I don't necessarily disagree with you on those points. They can easily bring the current tfs more in line with their already established traits without rebooting the show.

Yep, I'd have no problem with that (other than aesthetics, but if I had to choose, I would deal with it because I care more about what the characters do and say than what they look like).

Id actually love to see them introduce little to no characters (at least autobots) and flesh out who we have more in any future movies.

Agreed. ROTF should have developed the Autobots from the first movie much more, but they were hardly in the film at all. The dynamic between Starscream and Megatron was handled fairly well, though.

Seriously though, why are we so passionate about this?

Personally, I have wanted a live-action Transformer movie since the 1980s. I guess I had high expectations.

Edit -- LOL at Taksraven praising his own thread. :p

Edited by Renato

Edit -- LOL at Taksraven praising his own thread. :p

Yes, I would never deny being a wanker.

I have been surprised though at how the thread has taken off and like I suggested, the passion people have about this topic, even after three films, is astonishing. I would expect people to say that they never wanted to see another TF film again.

Personally, I think that the problem with this film series has been Michael Bays age. Not that he is too old to do films like this now, but the fact that he was so old when the original TF series was on TV. It is extremely unlikely that it had any real impact on him and therefore he has no idea as to what the fans have been after in this film series.

In saying that, I still understand that the films have been a massive success and the studio has no real reason to change direction now with future TF films.

Personally, I think that the problem with this film series has been Michael Bays age. Not that he is too old to do films like this now, but the fact that he was so old when the original TF series was on TV. It is extremely unlikely that it had any real impact on him and therefore he has no idea as to what the fans have been after in this film series.

In saying that, I still understand that the films have been a massive success and the studio has no real reason to change direction now with future TF films.

EXACTLY!!!! <_<

Yes, I would never deny being a wanker.

I have been surprised though at how the thread has taken off and like I suggested, the passion people have about this topic, even after three films, is astonishing. I would expect people to say that they never wanted to see another TF film again.

The fans disappointment in the trilogy is exactly why we'd like to see another Transformers film made. So it can be done, right (whatever that may mean to the viewer), or at least better.

*EDIT TO ADD* - VFTF1, your script is awesome!!! :lol:

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

For this d-bag, it was never about existing fans, as the new fans will attest. It was about $$$ and making new fans (and maybe converting some or many of the old fans)....which worked.

And Don Murphy has pretty much confirmed that whatever brings in more $$$ is the route they will take. As Renato translated "eat it and shut up" is the message for us.

For Kanedas Bike, I wouldn't hold your breath for having another trilogy made right, remember, it's all about $$$. Apparently $$$ defines good film making.

Edited by peter

For this d-bag, it was never about existing fans, as the new fans will attest. It was about $$$ and making new fans (and maybe converting some or many of the old fans)....which worked.

And Don Murphy has pretty much confirmed that whatever brings in more $$$ is the route they will take. As Renato translated "eat it and shut up" is the message for us.

For Kanedas Bike, I wouldn't hold your breath for having another trilogy made right, remember, it's all about $$$. Apparently $$$ defines good film making business.

Fixed.

B))

-b.

OK, so this flame war is getting a bit out of hand. I would like to put something into play for everyone to think about though. I am of the "younger" generation. This pretty much means that I wasn't born when the original TF aired. Being who I am though, I did *watch* the original series and movie after I was born with the vastly available subs. Therefore, I think I can put a little into what people of the "youth" want.

First of all, to tell it to you straight, people of my generation or younger (5-6), are not gonna buy a CGI animated G1 prime. I know this sounds like blasphemy to a lot of the older fans, but its the sad (or happy to those that like it) truth of the matter. If I went to a few kids of my age and said "Hey lets go watch some G1 TF, I'd probably be met with a sounding chorus of boo's or worse :ph34r:.

I am truly sorry, but this:

http://www.exchange3d.com/images/uploads/aff3738/Optimus%20Prime%20Transformer%2001/Optimus_Prime_Transformer_(01)_01.jpg

is NOT going to please very many people. Also, those of the older generation need to realize one thing. The kids of today have grown up in an environment chock full of technology. Therefore, the millions of random bits of metal shards put together to look like a robot that transforms seemlessly (while most likely doing some acrobatic moves in the air) into a perfect vehicle will always make more sense to kids than a boxy robot sitting down to become a truck. Seriously.

Beyond that, the designs have to progress with technology as well. If Starscream turned into an F-15 rather than an F-22, that modern feel would be lost immediately. Hate me if you will, but I actually enjoy the Bayverse robots a LOT more than any of the older designs. Why? Because they make more sense to me. A technological race millions of centuries more advanced than humans should not turn into walking boxes. Its just not sensical with the world today. It may have flown with the audience 20 years ago, but not today. Also, in terms of the coloring aspects, I also would have to say that what Bay went with appeals to an audience today. For example, if a Hot Rod character was introduced identical to his G1 counterpart as a red *something* with flames, he'd be met with a hailed chorus of O_O *What were the animators thinking?*. Had he been introduced as a Corvette ZR1, it would make more sense, and appeals to kids my age.

On the other side of matters, I agree that the robots should be made to look somewhat like their G1 counterparts in appearance. Prime and Bumblebee, and to some extent Sideswipe, look the closest to their G1 counterparts, and are some of the most popular characters in the series today. Also, I think the TF all need to be given a personality instead of simple being *cool looking targets that shoot some of the time*. Beyond that though, unfortunately or fortunately, the TF of today is what WILL fly with the audience.

For those that can't accept it, I apologize as I understand it sucks to have your childhood Bayformed, but think about it this way: In the movies you saw as a kid, would you have liked it if they featured Telegrams and P-39s just because your parents' generations had prominently featured that stuff. Whether we like it or not, everything, and I mean everything, will evolve with time. Its just a matter of accepting it for what it is, and appreciating it for the honest attempt behind it. I know for a fact that TF would NEVER have been this popular had the Bayverse never been created.

With that, I'd like to end my speech, and I hope I respected everyone's opinions in the matter at hand (no offense to anyone). Being a younger guy myself, I kind of know what the "mainstream crowd" like from the inside... ;)

First, wow, you have a pretty good grasp of the English language for a kid who's 5-6 years old. *Nevermind, I missed the "or younger (5-6)". I can't beleive I'm saying this, but I am an older fan....old. Yikes. Anyway, I can understand that this whole new Bayformers may as well be a whole new timeline/reimagining/reboot or whatever you want to call it and it was made to appeal to today's youth, and maybe a few of the oldies. Not many people want to watch the original, dated, G1 cartoon, not even me. I mean, I could probably sit through an episode or two but that's about it. What I did like were how the characters were treated in the Dreamwave comics. They didn't look exactly as they did in the original cartoon, but they were changed enough to get me interested again, not drastically bastardized.

Don't be sorry for having an opinion. (by the way, your pic link didn't work)

I know this is beating a dead horse, but the F15 is still in use is it not? They could have used an F-15E which IMO still looks pretty badass.

Now Hotrod's vehicle form spews 80's, and even at the time I didn't really like his design, but your arguement about the flames? Haha, that's what a lot of people HATED about Bay Prime. WTF are flames doing on Prime??? But anyway, yeah, Hotrod might have been okay as a ZR-1 (insert GM product placement here).

Back to my point on drastic changes, the vast majority of humans don't take well to change, and when they butchered (well, killed him off anyway) Optimus Prime in the 80's cartoon, the execs at Hasbro were made aware by the fans. Current incartnations of many of the vehicles exist today...Bumble Bee - the new VW Beetle, Sideswipe - Lamboghini's got loads of awesome new cars since the Countach, Hound - Jeep JK (wrangler), the list goes on, but instead it was just a big commercial for GM.

There you go apologizing again, why apologize? You've done nothing wrong. You like what you like, there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that a lot of people aren't too happy with Bay because he took something that many people were familiar with, and made so many changes, it's not even recognizable anymore. How would you feel if he got hold of SDF Macross and did the same thing to the VF-1?

Updates are fine, but don't turn it upside down and give it the same name. We know this because look at the Yamato movie that came out last year....enough updates so it didn't seem like it was still 1981, while at the same time, keeping faithful to the original.

Anyway, enjoy Bayformers, don't let old farts like me drag you down.....but if he called the movie Go-Bots, I'd be a lot happier, hahaha!

Edited by peter

Current incartnations of many of the vehicles exist today...Bumble Bee - the new VW Beetle, Sideswipe - Lamboghini's got loads of awesome new cars since the Countach, Hound - Jeep JK (wrangler), the list goes on, but instead it was just a big commercial for GM.

In Bay's defense...apparently, some companies have a problem having their products associated with wars (even when it's entirely fictional, and involves giant robots that turn into cars). This includes VW.

At least that's Hasbro's excuse for not using a Beetle alt mode (even on the G1-esque Classics Bumblebee toy).

OK, so this flame war is getting a bit out of hand. I would like to put something into play for everyone to think about though. I am of the "younger" generation. This pretty much means that I wasn't born when the original TF aired. Being who I am though, I did *watch* the original series and movie after I was born with the vastly available subs. Therefore, I think I can put a little into what people of the "youth" want.

First of all, to tell it to you straight, people of my generation or younger (5-6), are not gonna buy a CGI animated G1 prime. I know this sounds like blasphemy to a lot of the older fans, but its the sad (or happy to those that like it) truth of the matter. If I went to a few kids of my age and said "Hey lets go watch some G1 TF, I'd probably be met with a sounding chorus of boo's or worse :ph34r:.

http://www.exchange3d.com/images/uploads/aff3738/Optimus%20Prime%20Transformer%2001/Optimus_Prime_Transformer_(01)_01.jpg

is NOT going to please very many people. Also, those of the older generation need to realize one thing. The kids of today have grown up in an environment chock full of technology. Therefore, the millions of random bits of metal shards put together to look like a robot that transforms seemlessly (while most likely doing some acrobatic moves in the air) into a perfect vehicle will always make more sense to kids than a boxy robot sitting down to become a truck. Seriously.

Beyond that, the designs have to progress with technology as well. If Starscream turned into an F-15 rather than an F-22, that modern feel would be lost immediately. Hate me if you will, but I actually enjoy the Bayverse robots a LOT more than any of the older designs. Why? Because they make more sense to me. A technological race millions of centuries more advanced than humans should not turn into walking boxes. Its just not sensical with the world today. It may have flown with the audience 20 years ago, but not today. Also, in terms of the coloring aspects, I also would have to say that what Bay went with appeals to an audience today. For example, if a Hot Rod character was introduced identical to his G1 counterpart as a red *something* with flames, he'd be met with a hailed chorus of O_O *What were the animators thinking?*. Had he been introduced as a Corvette ZR1, it would make more sense, and appeals to kids my age.

On the other side of matters, I agree that the robots should be made to look somewhat like their G1 counterparts in appearance. Prime and Bumblebee, and to some extent Sideswipe, look the closest to their G1 counterparts, and are some of the most popular characters in the series today. Also, I think the TF all need to be given a personality instead of simple being *cool looking targets that shoot some of the time*. Beyond that though, unfortunately or fortunately, the TF of today is what WILL fly with the audience.

For those that can't accept it, I apologize as I understand it sucks to have your childhood Bayformed, but think about it this way: In the movies you saw as a kid, would you have liked it if they featured Telegrams and P-39s just because your parents' generations had prominently featured that stuff. Whether we like it or not, everything, and I mean everything, will evolve with time. Its just a matter of accepting it for what it is, and appreciating it for the honest attempt behind it. I know for a fact that TF would NEVER have been this popular had the Bayverse never been created.

With that, I'd like to end my speech, and I hope I respected everyone's opinions in the matter at hand (no offense to anyone). Being a younger guy myself, I kind of know what the "mainstream crowd" like from the inside... ;)

I'm not saying that technology shouldn't advance, or that we have to be 100% faithful to G1. The IDW G1 series did a great job of updating the alt modes of most of the characters (the Seekers as F-22s, Prowl as a 350z, etc). What I'm saying is that you can update the characters while staying true to them at the same time instead of slapping a G1 name onto a random character with no resemblance at all to the G1 character. The Bay movies only even attempted to give maybe four of five characters any personality whatsoever, and of those characters only Prime and Bumblebee (and later Shockwave) bore any resemblance to the namesake.

http://www.exchange3...Transformer_(01

is NOT going to please very many people.

I don't think anybody would disagree with you considering that the pic in your link is godawful. I hate to repeat the line I've read ad nauseum for the past few years, but nobody is asking for a carbon copy of the G1 cartoon set in live action. A re-imagining that doesn't look like cutlery would've sufficed.

To all the posts above, I do agree with you in that I understand you don't want a carbon copy of G1 prime, but rather something similar. I just threw that pic up there to kind of reference how similar designs from the past wouldn't translate well to now :) also, I agree with all of you in that Bay shouldn't have been slapping TF names on robots without giving them an accurate personality (eat your heart out jolt) :D . I am just pointing out that some of the older concepts wouldn't fly. Truth be told, the "cutlery" being spoken of makes more sense to kids nowadays, more so than any reimagining of G1 designs. It just makes more sense to them (us).

By the way, Peter, thanks for the english complements. But yeah, i am in high school, not preschool :D. Regarding the apologies, I just didn't want to offend or anger anyone. Not my cup of tea to incite arguments really :)

As one of the G1 generation (I'm from 77) I can say that I'm a big fan of the first 2007 movie.

When the first sketches start leaking out back in 2006, I had a *really* hard time with the movie designs. Optimus with flames? With a mouth? Not a flatbed? Blasphemy!

But I gotta tell you,

, it had me like a little boy holding his first transformer all over again. Starscream transforming mid-air with a backflip and Blackout doing the landing transformation thing... It was just plain cool. And to the flame-mouth Optimus, once I heard Cullen's voice, it was it. That guy IS Optimus Prime and always will be, and I think they got the cartoon essence of it perfectly.

The problem with the other two movies is plain simple money rush. They had terrible script and not nearly enough time to develop. The only good think that came out of it was some great toys. I dare anyone to hold a Takara Buster Prime and not be wowed by it. That thing is beautiful. It also gave us Human Alliance (that IMO is a continuation of the alternator / binaltech line that was not selling and about to be canned anyways) before the movie came out. Hold a Human Alliance Jazz and tell me is not one of the best incarnations of the character.

Bitch and moan as you please, but the transformer movies gave a spark on the franchise. I never seen so many transformer lines on the store.

I loved the first movie, I can live with the designs, I just wish they would focus on story for the next ones more than on bathroom jokes.

Edited by Limbo

I don't think anybody would disagree with you considering that the pic in your link is godawful. I hate to repeat the line I've read ad nauseum for the past few years, but nobody is asking for a carbon copy of the G1 cartoon set in live action. A re-imagining that doesn't look like cutlery would've sufficed.

yikes, the link finally worked for me and that IS ugly. But to beat that dead horse a bit more, this fan made video is on the right track:

And another one....miss the Scatman's voice.

These two fan-films combined was more satisfying that all three Bay movies....After the first Bayformers, I refused to give him any more of my money and downloaded the last two. Randall Ng and other fans are producing shorts that I would gladly pay for.

Edited by peter

Yaaaaaaaaaa, first movie was good, I remember seeing it in a sneak peak by a co worker inviting me over to his brother's theater really early in the morning the day it came out.

Second movie, it started out awesome, but it just fell to pieces so quickly after that. I'd say, probably right around the time Megatron is revived is when the movie started going to hell in my opinion.

And DOTM, I've seen twice, and while it wasn't as god awful as ROTF, it certainly paled in comparison to the first film in terms of quality....but this felt like more of a grown up transformers film compared to everything else. A lot less potty humor and a bit more serious.

BTW, I'm super happy that Jason Statham rumor got shot down in about a week. That kind of made me jumpy. But Hasbro wouldn't approve of a super violent dark as hell movie for their Transformers label....I think this film is about as dark as we'll ever seen I think.

Now for the 4th film....I dunno I just dunno what to expect.

Wait, when did the first movie become good, guys?

Are we talking about the same movie?

The one where any robot not named Optimus Prime had one line?

The one where the action scenes were assembled entirely from jump-cuts?

The one where Bumblebee pisses all over a secret agent and is scolded for it?

The one with a painfully drawn-out ten-minute dialog with Sam's mom accusing him of masturbating with several repeatedly outlandish euphemisms?

The one that was a bad movie about people that just happened to have some robots in it?

Did I walk through a rift and wander into Bizarro World today? Because seriously, I want to see the Transformers you guys saw.

I mean, Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon aren't great movies by any stretch of the imagination, but they are at least Transformers movies. By which I mean they have a race of alien robots as characters instead of an alien robot as a character and several others as window dressing.

I'm not usually very cruel here on MW, but for all of the people who are saying the G1-style TFs wouldn't work in live-action format, well... you are pretty silly. There are great examples of fan-made and TV commercial transformer videos using G1-similar styling that look ONE MILLION TIMES BETTER than the (s)crapyard TFs Bay brought us.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5c2DUnYno&feature=related (a classic)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs2Q-KaeICQ (the *real* Bumbleebee)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDmUWd6ukOc (this photocopier looks better than every TF-movie design)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwBUYJly1zU&feature=related (hey, it actually looks like Optimus)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiHNUaQ7cCo&feature=related (heck, so does this one)

Sure, most of these are still low-budget, but the designs are solid enough for the big screen.

The problems with Bay's TFs is that A) They don't look very much like their vehicle counterparts (which is always one of the greatest joys of TF), B) even thought Bay was going for a more 'realistic' transformation, I think they rely even more on magic than the real TFs; and C) they suffer from Amerimecha-syndrome (ie- mecha designs that look like sh!t).

The thing is, Bay has now sold these so-called 'millions of new fans' on a bunch of terrible mecha designs simply because he thought he knew better. To be honest, the TF movies are the only things in the franchise that make me ashamed to have a Decepticons tattoo.

Edited by the white drew carey

Now I dont like to be mean, but if you genuinely like any of those designs, you eiether need your eyes or your head examined (or both). That Prime one you linked, is just the G1 toy, which is poo (classic, but still poo). None of those were convincing and most looked like crap. The copy machine is probably the only decent one, and even then...meh.

I realize it's all a matter of opinion, but IMO you just linked a bunch of vids that prove exactly why G1-esque styling is completely fail in a live action scanario.