Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Custom/Detailing by Kye

kyekye

After gloss/semi-glossy clear coating, went through decal pass.

Thing is - there are not much reference for the SDF-1 decals. So I was using some of the new illustrations by Tenjin san and Macross Plus screens.

I think I used about 800-1000 micro decals on this thing! (I'm pretty sure because the decal-sheet I'm using has about 700 on each sheet, and I used about half of 3 sheets)

Because they are tiny, they don't stand out much and kinda works for 1/3000 model, but -boy - they are pain in the #%$ to apply! (X 1000 times)

Sprayed Matt Top Coat after decal work was done. It tones color and decal together as well.

After that, I brush-painted clear-glossy parts with 'Future!' to give extra clean glossiness.

Anyways, here are the parts with decals applied.

Main Body

Mostly small red decals

5511692126_f7a25b82c7_b.jpg

Chest Block

Mostly red ones and some white ones. White ones look too clean, so I'll put some weathering after putting it back.

5511692100_ab3441dd54_b.jpg

Main Cannon

Before the decal pass, I fixed some parts that colors didn't match. Also added some weathering around exhaust vent area. No more color popping!

5511691990_79ef44fdf8_b.jpg

5511092853_2fd6057ed2_b.jpg

5511692030_4eacacbbb6_b.jpg

5511692060_47069fd7db_b.jpg

Head Bridge

Put the parts together. Also added decal on the clear shield (but my camera macro couldn't catch it..)

5511692148_5d6b316d68_b.jpg

Shoulder

Decals here and there.

5511692178_087e939c35_z.jpg

Legs & Feet

My favorite parts! It's more fun when it's not all gray... Again, some white decals stand out a bit. Will be toned down during top weathering pass.

5511691966_f86be34a0c_b.jpg

5511092793_8babb3a541_b.jpg

ARMD 1 & 2

Lauch Gate detail Paint and Decal Work

I used tiny decal strip on the inside of launch gate, but used paint on the outer gate frame inside. I thought about a couple of different ways of doing this part, but I decided to go with the long lasting/durable paint method. I guess it came out allright :ph34r:

5511092755_fb844bcec9_b.jpg

As i was taking pictures, I noticed that my camera does auto color correction when it sees blue and red together and make the red pink-ish.... It's not that pink magenta.., but I'm too lazy to fix colors in Photoshop..

5511093099_aa09753546_b.jpg

5511093061_12a65caceb_b.jpg

Now I'm gonna start putting them back together for light weathering on some parts. and one more flat-coating!! and I'll be done!! ~~ :D:wacko::lol:

I gotta plan for the display case as well... Please let me know if anyone has good suggestion for display case that works for both modes.

WOW! Simply stunning... all your hard work and effort really, really paid off. It looks simply amazing. I know its a long process, but its totally worth it and you've raised the bar that I hope to get close to - damn you! I guess I can't just slap a few layers of paint and call it a day! Truely inspirational, now my finished SDF-1 seems that much farther away ;-)

What is this micro decal sheet you speak off? They look great, I would think any decals would not be scale appropriate, but you're look really good together. Congrats, can't wait to see it all together!

As I was putting them back together, one of the lock spring on back of the knee click joint sprang and flew off!! :ph34r: It took me almost an hour finding it in the carpet.. :wacko:

Wow, I'm speechless. It truly is a work of art!!! Congrats on your hard work, it really paid off!!!

Now my bare, unpainted, unmodified 1/3000 SDF-1 looks like crap :ph34r:

I'm treating this like a model kit which I always wished for - but never got.. (Thanks Yamato! in 2 different ways! :):(:ph34r: ) It would be like comparing 1/48 Yamato VF-1 toy and Hasegawa VF-1 model kit. If Yamato releases model kit version later, then I'm gonna feel like crap.. :o

WOW! Simply stunning... all your hard work and effort really, really paid off. It looks simply amazing. I know its a long process, but its totally worth it and you've raised the bar that I hope to get close to - damn you! I guess I can't just slap a few layers of paint and call it a day! Truely inspirational, now my finished SDF-1 seems that much farther away ;-)

What is this micro decal sheet you speak off? They look great, I would think any decals would not be scale appropriate, but you're look really good together. Congrats, can't wait to see it all together!

Hehe, I was inspired by your step by step pages and learned many tricks from you and other masters. I'm glad you like this progress :lol:

These are the decal I used most. I have red, white, dark gray of the same thing and used sparingly depending on the base color. It does say 'for 1/144 scale' but most of them except for the bottom right labels are very small and worked OK for this one.

5386879056_e58ed96ccb_b.jpg

...wow. I hope you've got a way to take super high-quality photos because I'm going to be begging for LOTS of them when you're done.

If I get a good lighting (1 sunny day during weekend, i hope), my wife's camera can probably do a good job.

I wonder which section I need to post them thou. It's a toy, but not so toy anymore.. :ph34r:

Where did you order those decals? Name, Manufacturer? HLJ?

They are NC decals from HiQParts. I ordered them from HLJ a while ago. Here is decal page link. It looks like most of them are still in Stock. :D

There are 1/144 and 1/100. The one i got was 1/144

Edited by kyekye

Kye, this is simply an outstanding level of detail you've put into this. I can't believe you cut out 800 decals to apply! You have the patience of a zen monk... haha... i was crying when i tried to sticker up my 1/60 v2 valks, and you've made it look easy to turn this into a masterpiece.

Can't wait to see it all put together!!!

As for a display case to put this in, i can't think of anything that would do it justice. You might have to make a custom display case for it. The detolf shelves i have are too short to fit the SDF-1 in attack mode with the canons all the way up. Would you display this with other stuff? or would you only want to showcase this one by itself?

Still going through some weathering and have last top coating left, but I wanted to check the background board after putting together parts. I really want to make a simple diorama base for this, but not enough time right now. So just a simple printout of my quick Photoshop version of this screen on the cheap form-board will be used for now :ph34r:

2011-islandpics-macross.jpg

Here is a quick test shot for teaser :p

5518322919_95e20c7c57_b.jpg

It's almost there!!

Haha :lol: You guys read my mind about DYRL game scenes :p I'm still working on ARMD, so later images will have them on.

Also the reverse side of the form board will have the space background - so it will be reversible! :ph34r:

It's almost there!!

Excerpt from a conversation I had with my wife this morning:

Me: Hey baby, check this out.

My lady: Holy crap!! That looks real. It looks like the SDF-1 is parked at the Burbank airport!!

Last minute addition along with 2 more launch arms from ARMD.

1/3000 Destroid Monster!! I made 3 standing points on SDF-1 with mini magnet for this guy (2 on each ARMD top and 1 on main cannon)

5521703365_c2a5dc7838.jpg

And I'm done!!! :ph34r:

I'll take some pictures tomorrow when I have better lighting!

Last minute addition along with 2 more launch arms from ARMD.

1/3000 Destroid Monster!! I made 3 standing points on SDF-1 with mini magnet for this guy (2 on each ARMD top and 1 on main cannon)

5521703365_c2a5dc7838.jpg

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!! WOW!

you have got to show us how you made that monster.

you're work is just epic!

(now don't be shy. come show use your in-scale GBP :lol: )

Edited by Major Focker

Delayed by work overload!

I took some pictures over the weekend, but my stupid camera wasn't capturing the details and made images kinda filtered look... :angry:

I'll need to re-take them with different camera.

Anyways, here are some of finished images. Some are edited in Photoshop for better background fun :lol:

Cruiser Mode Docked on South Ataria Island Aerial View

5531442823_33ac9983cb_b.jpg

Cruiser Mode Docked on South Ataria Island Aerial View

5531442953_233dc3b9e4_b.jpg

Cruiser Mode Docked Ground View - I also made a front landing gear for better front/back balance :ph34r:

5532026414_c22da5fc8f_b.jpg

Cruiser Mode in space - front view A

5532026688_1b20045db9_b.jpg

Cruiser Mode in space - front view B

5532026894_cab57ed8f0_b.jpg

Cruiser Mode in space - back view

5531443159_370be2ab69_b.jpg

Cruiser Mode in space - Destroid Monster Firing

5532028600_f5e26bf8df_b.jpg

Transformation!!!

5531447583_066fc53a0f_b.jpg

Attack Mode