Newbie Questions on Macross

Stupid question of the week (I need to ask one in order to control my ego ;) ) : Guvava or Gubaba ?

Either. Both.

Japanese doesn't have a "v" sound, so they substitute "b" (which is, for example, why the "Full Vernier" Gundam from Gundam 0083 is the 01FB, rather than 01FV).

Personally, I like Gubaba, because it sounds more like a name a child would make up, and Mylene was, what...three? Four? when she got the little critter.

Either. Both.

Japanese doesn't have a "v" sound, so they substitute "b" (which is, for example, why the "Full Vernier" Gundam from Gundam 0083 is the 01FB, rather than 01FV).

Personally, I like Gubaba, because it sounds more like a name a child would make up, and Mylene was, what...three? Four? when she got the little critter.

Well that and "Guvava" sounds like some exotic fruit.

Well I was watching the 25th episode of MF again, and I got to wondering. When Alto was talking to Sheryl with Ranka, to encourage her to sing again. Where they talking telepathically, through the fold quartz earrings/V-type virus (correct me if I am wrong on that one please)? I would think if they were they would be unaware of there surroundings (this would be more dangerous for Alto since he is piloting). Would this also be there astral projections of each other, kinda like in Evangelion, were they were talking about the "Selves" that other people preserved them as("This is the me that everyone sees me in there mind")?Also, in the final battle were the astral images of Sheryl and Ranka seen by Grace or anyone else, or were they just for dramatic purposes. I would assume Grace saw them too, if so, then one would think other people/Vajra saw them too.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Well that and "Guvava" sounds like some exotic fruit.

Well I was watching the 25th episode of MF again, and I got to wondering. When Alto was talking to Sheryl with Ranka, to encourage her to sing again. Where they talking telepathically, through the fold quartz earrings/V-type virus (correct me if I am wrong on that one please)? I would think if they were they would be unaware of there surroundings (this would be more dangerous for Alto since he is piloting). Would this also be there astral projections of each other, kinda like in Evangelion, were they were talking about the "Selves" that other people preserved them as("This is the me that everyone sees me in there mind")?Also, in the final battle were the astral images of Sheryl and Ranka seen by Grace or anyone else, or were they just for dramatic purposes. I would assume Grace saw them too, if so, then one would think other people/Vajra saw them too.

No, its just the whole quantum Brainwave thing from Gundam 00 ^_^

Ever since I watched macross plus a few things have bothered me. First After Maij buys the psychotic micro chips he is seen putting something in the hotel safe was that the infamous chip, or had he already installed it in Sharon's core. That was just a few minutes before Guld gets the cryptic phone call telling him about the fire in the concert hall. Was Sharon already going insane or did he have more than one micro chip of death. Second in the last episode the SDF 1 actually takes off under its own power after Sharon takes it over. I thought that at the conclusion of the original show the ship was crippled why was it still armed with weapons(rail gun).

This really should go in this thread instead of the Frontier tech one, so I'll answer it here, or at least the second. The Macross was badly damaged in Kamjin's suicide run, but not completely destroyed. Macross Plus also takes place a good thirty years later. By then they'd completely rebuilt it, including numerous refits and replacing the old naval vessels with ARMD units like it had originally been planned to have docked at its sides. I suppose there wasn't much practical reason to keep it fully armed and combat ready when Earth had a lot of other defenses by then, but as a central symbol of the new government and one that had come under attack before, it's not a nonsensical thought to have it remain a functional warship.

This really should go in this thread instead of the Frontier tech one, so I'll answer it here, or at least the second. The Macross was badly damaged in Kamjin's suicide run, but not completely destroyed. Macross Plus also takes place a good thirty years later. By then they'd completely rebuilt it, including numerous refits and replacing the old naval vessels with ARMD units like it had originally been planned to have docked at its sides. I suppose there wasn't much practical reason to keep it fully armed and combat ready when Earth had a lot of other defenses by then, but as a central symbol of the new government and one that had come under attack before, it's not a nonsensical thought to have it remain a functional warship.

But the SDF-1 (as a UNS/NUNS HQ) is heavily armed, in M:Plus it was armed with hundred of AA cannon and maybe the main gun are still functional.

Talking about SDF-1 as UN HQ, I got a question. In M:Plus, the Ghost is seen launched from the lake by using an entry vehicle, so does this mean there's a bigger base underneath the lake?

Talking about SDF-1 as UN HQ, I got a question. In M:Plus, the Ghost is seen launched from the lake by using an entry vehicle, so does this mean there's a bigger base underneath the lake?

I wouldn't say it was the UNG headquarters, but rather UN Spacy's HQ on Earth.

We saw no politicians aboard her, during Plus.

I wouldn't say it was the UNG headquarters, but rather UN Spacy's HQ on Earth.

We saw no politicians aboard her, during Plus.

The politicians were on the stage platform. Including what looks like the Prime Minister of the NUNG.

Mind you they no longer call themselves the UNG.

This really should go in this thread instead of the Frontier tech one, so I'll answer it here, or at least the second. The Macross was badly damaged in Kamjin's suicide run, but not completely destroyed. Macross Plus also takes place a good thirty years later. By then they'd completely rebuilt it, including numerous refits and replacing the old naval vessels with ARMD units like it had originally been planned to have docked at its sides.

I think they even mentioned the refit was coming at the end of the original series.

I suppose there wasn't much practical reason to keep it fully armed and combat ready when Earth had a lot of other defenses by then...

But if they didn't gun it up, how could it go out searching for the Robotech Masters?!?!?!

But if they didn't gun it up, how could it go out searching for the Robotech Masters?!?!?!

Hush, you.

Or else I'll think of some way to tie Robtoech: The End of the Circle with Fleet of the Strongest Women and make your head cave in with a wet, ploppy sound.

Hush, you.

Or else I'll think of some way to tie Robtoech: The End of the Circle with Fleet of the Strongest Women and make your head cave in with a wet, ploppy sound.

Oh wow, Robo-Toe-Tech....sounds......interesting :lol:

Hush, you.

I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY!

I believe the lake is what used to be the Grand cannon so there are installations underneath the Macross.

The politicians were on the stage platform. Including what looks like the Prime Minister of the NUNG.

Mind you they no longer call themselves the UNG.

OK, that isn't definitive proof that the Macross contains the seat of government.

It's like saying that the tomb of the unknown soldier is the headquarters of government because politicians are gathered there on memorial day or the Pentagon, because they are sighted there as well.

Naturally politicians would be on stage at the commemoration of the end of SW1, that doesn't mean they meet inside the Macross. As a HQ for the military, it would make sense.

I believe the lake is what used to be the Grand cannon so there are installations underneath the Macross.

I am doubtful of that. The Grand Cannon was nearly a mile deep (?). The lake Macross sits in, I believe, is a crater left over from the bombardment.

Edited by Zinjo

OK, that isn't definitive proof that the Macross contains the seat of government.

It's like saying that the tomb of the unknown soldier is the headquarters of government because politicians are gathered there on memorial day or the Pentagon, because they are sighted there as well.

Naturally politicians would be on stage at the commemoration of the end of SW1, that doesn't mean they meet inside the Macross. As a HQ for the military, it would make sense.

You do realize I agreed with you on the affirmative that politicians were not in the SDF-1.

I pointed out that the politicians were at the stage and they no longer call themselves UNG but NUNG.

The NUN Assembly and the Prime Minister are likely located in Macross City not the Macross itself as it seemed more of a planetary defense center. Kinda like NORAD.

I am doubtful of that. The Grand Cannon was nearly a mile deep (?). The lake Macross sits in, I believe, is a crater left over from the bombardment.

That's correct, they're nearby but not the same location: Hikaru and Misa came out of the Grand Cannon and landed not far away, then saw the Macross come down to land ahead in the distance in what appeared to be a crater.

You do realize I agreed with you on the affirmative that politicians were not in the SDF-1.

I pointed out that the politicians were at the stage and they no longer call themselves UNG but NUNG.

The NUN Assembly and the Prime Minister are likely located in Macross City not the Macross itself as it seemed more of a planetary defense center. Kinda like NORAD.

You did?

Well I guess I was so high on my soapbox, that I didn't realize... :p

That's correct, they're nearby but not the same location: Hikaru and Misa came out of the Grand Cannon and landed not far away, then saw the Macross come down to land ahead in the distance in what appeared to be a crater.

Not to mention the Grand Cannon blowed itself up.

Hmmm... given the almost unimaginable energies that thing channeled, it woulda been a hell of an impressive fireworks show if it'd failed catastrophically while charging a shot.

Not to mention the Grand Cannon blowed itself up.

Hmmm... given the almost unimaginable energies that thing channeled, it woulda been a hell of an impressive fireworks show if it'd failed catastrophically while charging a shot.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the Death Star with Michael Bay running the show :D

The Bay Cannon - Creates a massive gasoline fireball that slows time itself as it fires, resulting in disproportionate destruction that appears aesthetically pleasing. Warning: those within range of the Bay Cannon that suffer from ADHD may become hopelessly hypnotized by the firing effect :)

Than why did they leave the Macross in its humanoid form; siting in the middle of a lake in the center of the city?

Also, the only disadvantage to remaining in humanoid configuration is apparently speed and maneuverability, which on the ground aren't major concerns.

Presumably after the refit they replaced the missing power conduits so that it could fire the main cannon in normal form again, but there was still no reason to transform back given it had landed in that form.

Also, the only disadvantage to remaining in humanoid configuration is apparently speed and maneuverability, which on the ground aren't major concerns.

Presumably after the refit they replaced the missing power conduits so that it could fire the main cannon in normal form again, but there was still no reason to transform back given it had landed in that form.

Wouldn't the refit need to be done in space? Zero gravity, the location of the ARMDs, etc...

Now there is some advantages to keeping it in Attacker Mode. The ARMDs could continue to serve as aircraft launching points, the cannon is already semi-deployed and it is sitting much like a rocket ready for launch if necessary. In cruiser mode, it takes up over a km and doesn't have the same defensive advantages as the Attacker mode would provide.

Then the most important reason....it looks DAMN COOL on screen as a 1km high robot! :p

Edited by Zinjo

Wouldn't the refit need to be done in space? Zero gravity, the location of the ARMDs, etc...

Given when the ship crashed on Earth they rebuilt it right where it landed, I don't see too great a problem. I just imagine it covered in Zentradi-sized scaffolding now. :D

Given when the ship crashed on Earth they rebuilt it right where it landed, I don't see too great a problem. I just imagine it covered in Zentradi-sized scaffolding now. :D

Mmmm, I don't recall damage to the engines, but anything's possible...

I'm posting this question for a fellow Allspark here in MW. Hope you guys help.

Macross Help!

While I've always liked *censored* and Macross my exposure and knowledge of the animation and toylines have been pretty slim. I have my GI Joe Ace figure chilling in a Macross Veritech Fighter I picked up on ebay, and I worshipped Jetfire as a kid. Other than that, I'm pretty much ignorant.

I was excited when I saw pictures of the soon to be released Yamato 1/60th vf-1s Hikaru figure with Strike Parts. It looks enough like Jetfire to satisfy me with a few quick repro labels of autobot symbols. The release date for this figure was January 2009, but I have yet to see anything in the NYC anime shops, and a quick froogle search shows a lot of pre-orders for Asian websites showing an arrival date of "Late January 2009."

Can anyone in the know tell me if this guy has indeed been released, and if not when? Also a site with a good price would leave me eternally in your debt. Thanks in advance for your help.

I've got total newbie questions for you all. I want to see "Macross: Do you remember love?" and the TV series. But searching for them leaves me a little confused to be quite honest.

Which DVD should I buy for the DYRL movie? Is it the "Macross Volume I" DVD, the Volume 1-12 set, or what?

I saw this originally in 1995, and it was like a drug deal or something. I had to go to this obscure anime and comic book store in LExington, Kentucky, ask for a specific guy aaaand watch "Clash of the Boiloids." Yes, it was titled "BioLoids." It was a crappy re-recording of DYRL and I haven't found another good translation yet. But, I am a COMPLETE Macross newbie, so I didn't give it a lot of time. Did I mention I HAD to watch it at the store? Very nostalgic now looking back on it.

Just to make sure I am talking about the correct movie - it's the one where Roy Focker (can't remember his Japanese moniker) dies rather unceremoniously with a punch to the thorax of his VF-1S, where we see Hikaru fly into the center of the Death Star (can't remember the name of the thing) and the missiles and Asahi (or was it something else?) beer cans fly by. Finally, we think Hikaru''s dead, but he's really not.

Second newbie question:

What DVD's do I buy to watch the TV series of "Super Dimensional Fortress MAcross?" Or, is it pretty self explanatory?

Thank you so much for the help.

Kenny

What DVD's do I buy to watch the TV series of "Super Dimensional Fortress MAcross?" Or, is it pretty self explanatory?

For the TV Series get the Animeigo release. It is subtitled instead of dubbed. Available on Amazon.

There is also a dubbed version by ADV, personally I was not impressed with it (that one can be rented on Netflix).

The DYRL movie has not been officially released in the US, but check the fan works section here for options on that.

For the TV Series get the Animeigo release. It is subtitled instead of dubbed. Available on Amazon.

The original Animeigo release is discontinued. The release has reverted back to HG's distribution which you can find here:

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

At $60 for the entire boxset, this is well worth it compared to the ADV releases.

Do the Zentradi predate the rise of the protodevil (Devlin)? If they predate them why were they created did the protoculture war amongst them selves, or was their another enemy like the Vajra? I ask this because their is not much info other than whats on MAHQ, and Macross Mecha Manual. I have no access to any comprehensive information about Macross. If you can recommend any web sights that may contain any info about Macross in English that would be welcomed.

Do the Zentradi predate the rise of the protodevil (Devlin)? If they predate them why were they created did the protoculture war amongst them selves, or was their another enemy like the Vajra? I ask this because their is not much info other than whats on MAHQ, and Macross Mecha Manual. I have no access to any comprehensive information about Macross. If you can recommend any web sights that may contain any info about Macross in English that would be welcomed.

This should answer most of your questions regarding the Zentreadi.

http://macross.anime.net//story/chronology/index.html