Newbie Questions on Macross

Yeah.

There's several newbie questions that have very complex and/or vague answers.

"What happened to Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay" being perhaps the definitive example.

That one's not complex or vague at all: "Black hole. Bye-bye."

:p

(And yes, I know that I'm perpetuating that bit of falsehood by repeating it, but I couldn't resist.)

But someone should come up with a listed of the Frequently Asked Unanswerable Questions, like:

* "What happened to Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay?"

* "What happened to the Macross's Fold System?"

* "What was really going on between Global and Misa?"

* "Was Marj a clone of Max?"

* "Aren't macronized Zentradi a waste of resources?"

* "Which guy did Mylene choose?"

* "Wouldn't being kissed by a Sharon Apple hologram be an incredibly unsatisfying experience?"

* "Kaifun: A great douchebag, or THE GREATEST douchebag?"

* "If Alto can't make up his mind, why doesn't he take each of the girls for a...um...'Test Drive'?"

Edited by Gubaba

That one's not complex or vague at all: "Black hole. Bye-bye."

:p

(And yes, I know that I'm perpetuating that bit of falsehood by repeating it, but I couldn't resist.)

Either way, it kicks off a host of OTHER commonly-asked questions like "Kawamori needs to write more of them! WE WANT MORE!"

Which isn't even a question.

* "Wouldn't being kissed by a Sharon Apple hologram be an incredibly unsatisfying experience?"

THAT is why she hypnotizes people. Let their imaginations make up for her physical shortcomings.

* "Kaifun: A great douchebag, or THE GREATEST douchebag?"

Someone start this as a thread!

On a different note completely....

I finished watching Macross Plus this weekend, and I have one question: Did Isamu get court-martialed for stealing the YF-19, and bringing it to Earth? Perhaps he received a reprieve, given that he stopped Sharon Apple from stealing the Macross...maybe a "Kirk brings the humpback whales and saves the Earth" sort of thing.

On a different note completely....

I finished watching Macross Plus this weekend, and I have one question: Did Isamu get court-martialed for stealing the YF-19, and bringing it to Earth? Perhaps he received a reprieve, given that he stopped Sharon Apple from stealing the Macross...maybe a "Kirk brings the humpback whales and saves the Earth" sort of thing.

That's what I expect happened.

He's probably a hero of some sort now. Results matter, not motivation.

Isamu was suposed to face courtmartial procedures on Eden after what happended on Earth. However his ship got sucked into a passing Back Hole on the way there. Those things are a pain...

Isamu was suposed to face courtmartial procedures on Eden after what happended on Earth. However his ship got sucked into a passing Back Hole on the way there. Those things are a pain...

:lol:! why, WHY must those black holes always take my beloved characters away? WHY??? :lol:

I don't think so.

That role was filled by the non-variable Cat's Eye recon plane. Best known for getting smacked with an asteroid and then captured while Misa was riding shotgun.

But I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by JB0

Did the VE-1 ever make an appearance in SDF TV?

No but the VEFR-1 did. Which had the same functions as the DYRL VE-1.

vefr-1-battroid.gif

vefr-1-fighter.gif

Episode 27 the Bodolza attack episode.

The VE-1 and the VF-1 Strike Fast Pack may be seen as non-canon but the VT-1 and the DYRL Macross ship are canon.

VT-1 being civilian versions of the VF-1 and the Macross Refit and subsequent Macross Class are canon as per Macross Flashback, Macross Plus, Macross Dynamite 7 and Macross Frontier.

Only the revamped VF-1X Plus Super Valkyries which is virtually identical to the VF-1 A and J Super Valkyries are seen in the canon games.

I don't think so.

That role was filled by the non-variable Cat's Eye recon plane. Best known for getting smacked with an asteroid and then captured while Misa was riding shotgun.

But I'm not 100% sure.

Thankyou. I was thinking this was the case but also that it might have made an appearance in a wide shot in Love Drifts Away.

edit: just saw Morpheus` and Red Wolf`s posts. Thanks very much!

Edited by MilSpex

The VE-1 and the VF-1 Strike Fast Pack may be seen as non-canon but the VT-1 and the DYRL Macross ship are canon.

The way I have heard it phrased is "DYRL designs, SDFM story". Therefore, they're canon. They just *may* have shown up a bit later in the timeline than DYRL implies.

Thankyou. I was thinking this was the case but also that it might have made an appearance in a wide shot in Love Drifts Away.

edit: just saw Morpheus` and Red Wolf`s posts. Thanks very much!

So where exactly does the VE-1 appear in DYRL?

I`m asking because I`m finally expanding my Yamato collection from my lone VE-1. I`m impressed with all the new TV schemes (Max especially) but want my new aircraft to fit in with the VE-1`s canon.

So where exactly does the VE-1 appear in DYRL?

I`m asking because I`m finally expanding my Yamato collection from my lone VE-1. I`m impressed with all the new TV schemes (Max especially) but want my new aircraft to fit in with the VE-1`s canon.

After they repel the first Zentradi attack (and Hikaru and Minmay get stuck in the engine block), right before they fire the main cannon, when you hear a voice saying in English, "Enemy ship is approaching course of 1-0-7," THAT'S the VE-1.

It's in fighter mode, and you only see it from behind.

After they repel the first Zentradi attack (and Hikaru and Minmay get stuck in the engine block), right before they fire the main cannon, when you hear a voice saying in English, "Enemy ship is approaching course of 1-0-7," THAT'S the VE-1.

It's in fighter mode, and you only see it from behind.

Ah its hazy but I think I remember! Thankyou! I`ll be going with the DYRL? canon to go with the VE-1 I think then.

• 2 weeks later...
The way I have heard it phrased is "DYRL designs, SDFM story". Therefore, they're canon. They just *may* have shown up a bit later in the timeline than DYRL implies.

the official line is that SDF:M is cannon, and DYRL a movie in universe as well as in the real world. the Designs from DYRL (all the VF's and the SDF-1) are all cannon, but are actually later updates (the VF's in DYRL are block 6's , the VF's in SDF:M are block 1's, and the SDF-1 was rebuilt after kamjin crashed into it hence the new color/details/ARMD arms) that were introduced after the 2012.

the official line is that SDF:M is cannon, and DYRL a movie in universe as well as in the real world. the Designs from DYRL (all the VF's and the SDF-1) are all cannon, but are actually later updates (the VF's in DYRL are block 6's , the VF's in SDF:M are block 1's, and the SDF-1 was rebuilt after kamjin crashed into it hence the new color/details/ARMD arms) that were introduced after the 2012.

Actually, if I recall, there's a few different blocks of Valkyrie in the original. It's the excuse for different cockpit designs in different episodes.

They're just all pre-block 6.

... which is what I said, with different words...

Question.

I know the new VF-171 is the new mass produced standard fighter replacing the old VF-11 Thunderbolt. But what about the VF-19 and 22? And now with the arrival of the 25 Messiah and VF-27 Lucifer (is that name right?), which Valkyrie is the top performer now? I know the 19 was too be the new mass produced fighter but was really advanced that only a handful of talented pilots could handle, and the VF-22 is for special ops now replacing the old VF-17 Nightmares. So where do they all stand in terms of being overall the more advanced/powerful/versatel valk? I know the answer would probably be based on opinion, but still, I would like to know which one would be the best/overall.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Question.

I know the new VF-171 is the new mass produced standard fighter replacing the old VF-11 Thunderbolt. But what about the VF-19 and 22? And now with the arrival of the 25 Messiah and VF-27 Lucifer (is that name right?), which Valkyrie is the top performer now? I know the 19 was too be the new mass produced fighter but was really advanced that only a handful of talented pilots could handle, and the VF-22 is for special ops now replacing the old VF-17 Nightmares. So where do they all stand in terms of being overall the more advanced/powerful/versatel valk? I know the answer would probably be based on opinion, but still, I would like to know which one would be the best/overall.

Well, the compendium said that VF-171 is easy to use, maybe not as powerfull as the VF-19/22, but for a mass produced grunt valk, I prefer a valk that is easily replaced while pilot training is faster (no need for Basara or Isamu type to handle the valk).

With the introduction of VF-25/27, I say the next generation valk is the VF-25 while VF-27 is reserved for assault valk. VF-25 have all the characteristic of main force valk (several variant like squad commander, etc, and also can be equipped with FAST pack and Armoured pack).

Not to mention the introduction of EX-Gear system mean the pilot could be handle the high-G performance of the new valk relatively easier compare with other model.

On side note, NUNS decide not to adopt VF-19 as main fighter after they found out that most VF-19 stationed on some planet are strangely painted in red and came equipped with speakers and later, stolen by Basara. J/K :lol:

Well, the compendium said that VF-171 is easy to use, maybe not as powerfull as the VF-19/22, but for a mass produced grunt valk, I prefer a valk that is easily replaced while pilot training is faster (no need for Basara or Isamu type to handle the valk).

With the introduction of VF-25/27, I say the next generation valk is the VF-25 while VF-27 is reserved for assault valk. VF-25 have all the characteristic of main force valk (several variant like squad commander, etc, and also can be equipped with FAST pack and Armoured pack).

Not to mention the introduction of EX-Gear system mean the pilot could be handle the high-G performance of the new valk relatively easier compare with other model.

On side note, NUNS decide not to adopt VF-19 as main fighter after they found out that most VF-19 stationed on some planet are strangely painted in red and came equipped with speakers and later, stolen by Basara. J/K :lol:

You know makes me think.....if the EX-Gear system was around during project super nova.....Guld may still have been with us.... B))

Question.

this is my impression of things based off everything we know so far:

the after the end of project super nova, the VF-19 was accepted as the primary front line valk for spacy. and for the main spacy fleets (like the one in orbit around earth during mac+) the VF-19 is the primary valk that has replaced all VF-11's. the VF-22 is the new Special ops valk and has replaced the VF-17 in all the same fleets that the VF-19 replaced the VF-11.

so what about the VF-171? well based on Frontier, we can surmise that Colony fleets (and possibly outlying colony worlds) operate with a fair amount of autonomy from NUN central command back on earth. as such, colonies choose which valks they want to use based on what there needs are. some fleets may have chosen to upgrade to the VF-19, others may still be soldiering on with the VF-11, and on Frontier uses the which is a VF-17 streamlined for mas production and general use.

now the VF-25 and VF-27 both originate from the YF-24, the YF-24 is either an improvment over or a cheaper alternative to the VF-19. it hasn't been stated whether the YF-24 was adopted by the NUNS is it's main fighter, but the design was picked up by several colonies and improved upon. in the case of Frontier, they developed it into the VF-25 which they were going to use as a replacement to the VF-171 after SMS finished field testing it. and on galaxy they took the design and adapted it to there needs.

so as to which is more advanced/powerful/versatile:

in theory, the VF-25 is the best all around. it's performance is superior to the VF-19/-22, and because of multiple variants and the super/armor parts it's more versatile. as for most powerful/advanced valk, the VF-27 is top. the VF-27 can outperform even the super VF-25, it's got a miniature quantum beam gun, and it can interface with the pilots brain. the VF-27 is really only good as a heavy strike valk though, so it's not as versatile.

The VF-19 may've wound up like the VF-4. Just too expensive for most of the colony fleets.

And the VF-171 is the VF-5, 5000, 6, 7, and 9. It's the cheaper "good enough" plane(actually, the 9 is supposed to be better).

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Category:Variable_vehicles

It's kinda funny how the 5, 6, and 7 are all basically the same thing from a text perspective. Clearly we need a story about a colony world flying VF-5 through 7s.