The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

with pretty much all the exclusive PSN downloaded games

Really? :blink:

I downloaded Go! Sudoku (mostly for my wife) and the GT thingy, and that's about it. flOw seems pretty interesting, but I played it when it was just a Flash game, and it didn't see worth the cash. Castlevania would have been a must-buy if I hadn't already bought it on the 360 (or felt like looking for my PSone memory card and digging out the disc), and that's pretty much all that's grabbed my attention. I mean, there might be more, but the PlayStation Store is easily the worst online shopping experience of the three consoles, so I must confess I don't visit it often.

Or course, I expect to have a newfound interest in the PlayStation Store and the PSN when WipEout HD hits.

I've bought a bunch of junk at the ps3 store just for the heck of it... I don't think it's horrible to shop at. I thought it was really easy. I honestly can't complain about my ps3. It hasn't been out for as long as the 360, so there's not as many games. That'll change. The really good stuff comes out in '08. Out of every system I've owned this is easily my favorite, all the way down to the nifty touch sensor eject button. So far I've definitely enjoyed Resistance and Uncharted, and Unreal 3 is great with a keyboard and mouse. My system cost me 600 bucks and I'm happy with what I got.

I'm really looking forward to Street Fighter 2HD. Anybody know when that's scheduled to come out?

Question for you PS3 owners (and you know who you are :p ): how quickly does the HD fill up, since every game needs to put information on there. Has anyone hit capacity yet?

I've had the 60GB since July...its about half full. A few PSN/PSOne titles, about 300? MP3s(or AAC), and a few videos. Some demos and mass storage saves too. I was thinking of buying an external HDD but not just for the PS3.

I'll have some more room when I delete that awful Burnout Paradise demo... <_<

Sounds about right. I think I paid a little less for the same drive, but I stuck mine in my MacBook.

it's a Western Digital Scorpio 250, walk by BB one day and they had it for $120 and 9% sales tax here. retail package which would've cost about as much getting it online at the time. ^_^

it's a Western Digital Scorpio 250, walk by BB one day and they had it for $120 and 9% sales tax here. retail package which would've cost about as much getting it online at the time. ^_^

Oh yeah, that's it! I got it probably during the same sale! And in Westmoreland County, PA, I only had to pay 6% sales tax. Where, if you don't mind my asking, do you live? 9% seems awful high.

I'm a little ticked off at the moment. Not sure who to be mad at. Probably myself for not doing enough research. I knew I wanted the 80gig model because I wanted PS2 b/w capability and the bigger drive(the pack in game helped too), and I wanted to buy it now before the free disc promotion ends at the end of this month. That was the extent of my investigation.

That said.....

It really befuddles me that a BLU RAY machine, where BLU RAY and HI DEF is one of the selling points provides me with a standard 480i max AV cable out of box. I told the guy when I bought this that, at least initially, it was primarily for movie playing. I specifically mentioned blu ray and sd upscaling. He even tried to get me to buy some of their used blu ray movies. It would have been nice if he would have mentioned that I need new AV cables.

Grrrr.......so now I have to plan to go to the store again to get a new AV cable. Ok, I'm calming down. I thought I'd have to buy a ps2 memory card drive too, but I'll be able to download ps2 memory saves from the internet to save me the time and expense, I hope? Right? Please? :huh:

I'm a little ticked off at the moment. Not sure who to be mad at. Probably myself for not doing enough research. I knew I wanted the 80gig model because I wanted PS2 b/w capability and the bigger drive(the pack in game helped too), and I wanted to buy it now before the free disc promotion ends at the end of this month. That was the extent of my investigation.

That said.....

It really befuddles me that a BLU RAY machine, where BLU RAY and HI DEF is one of the selling points provides me with a standard 480i max AV cable out of box. I told the guy when I bought this that, at least initially, it was primarily for movie playing. I specifically mentioned blu ray and sd upscaling. He even tried to get me to buy some of their used blu ray movies. It would have been nice if he would have mentioned that I need new AV cables.

Grrrr.......so now I have to plan to go to the store again to get a new AV cable. Ok, I'm calming down. I thought I'd have to buy a ps2 memory card drive too, but I'll be able to download ps2 memory saves from the internet to save me the time and expense, I hope? Right? Please? :huh:

If you're willing to suffer a few days with 480i order your new AV cables through www.monoprice.com. Cheap price, great quality cables. Ever since I've found these guys I've been shilling them to everyone I know. :p

Sigh. I've been all over google trying to find a solution to this, but I can't find anything other than articles saying that this is a problem. I know it is, tell me how to fix it!

My ps2 games look like complete and utter crap on my ps3. I tried changing the resolution(1080, 720, i's and p's), the smoothing, the normal versus fullscreen, and it still looks the same: a jagged, misinterlaced, shaking, blurry mess.

Help!

Sigh. I've been all over google trying to find a solution to this, but I can't find anything other than articles saying that this is a problem. I know it is, tell me how to fix it!

My ps2 games look like complete and utter crap on my ps3. I tried changing the resolution(1080, 720, i's and p's), the smoothing, the normal versus fullscreen, and it still looks the same: a jagged, misinterlaced, shaking, blurry mess.

Help!

The 80GB PS3 uses software emulation, doesn't it?

Sorry, I'm not really sure what to do. I kept my old PS2.

Sigh. Nevermind. The ps3 just SUCKS at upscaling some ps2 games. My recent ps2 purchases include NeoGeo Battle Colliseum, King of Fighters XI and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. I've been playing these alot lately.

Fire Pro is very glitchy and you have to reset the game until it loads properly without graphic jitters. I can't even get it to load properly without the jitters at all now. Even when it does, there's a softness and lack of sharpness that I assume is because it's a 480 game being played at a larger resolution(either 720 or 1080, i or p, didn't seem to matter). This is really bumming me out because I'm *finally* really getting into it.

Battle Colliseum looked a little softer, but not anywhere near as bad as Fire Pro. King of Fighters looked about the same as it did on the ps2. Thankfully both have options to adjust the sharpness of the in-game sprites. Although both had a smoothness in the character select screens I could see despite the option adjustment.

Most of the games I have held onto for my ps2 are 2d games. If anyone has any hints on improving what I'm looking at, please PLEASE share.

The moral of the story so far, buy the cheaper version ps3 unless the extra storage and pack-in game mean something to you. Regardless, don't get rid of your ps2.

Moving on now from this dissappointment to check out the dvd upscaling features.....

My ps2 games look like complete and utter crap on my ps3. I tried changing the resolution (1080, 720, i's and p's), the smoothing, the normal versus fullscreen, and it still looks the same: a jagged, misinterlaced, shaking, blurry mess.

Help!

If you're playing 2D fighters, it will look like that on a fixed panel regardless of it being on a PS2 or PS3. One question: what kind of cable are you currently using? You said you only had the pack in composite, yet say you are playing at HD res. WHat kind of TV as well might be helpful. As for the 80GB software emulation..even now, every firmware update adds increased compatibility.

That said, I use my one of my PS2's or 60GB if I want to play PS2 games, but the only issues I have with the 80GB playing PS2 games were with some FMV sequences stuttering on some RPG's and MGS3 being "slow". Same like glitchy XBObxon 360 games...just not "right" with emulation.

Best fix: play a PS3 game in HD with the right set of cables and enjoy HD gaming. :p

Edited by Gaijin

Really? :blink:

I downloaded Go! Sudoku (mostly for my wife) and the GT thingy, and that's about it. flOw seems pretty interesting, but I played it when it was just a Flash game, and it didn't see worth the cash. Castlevania would have been a must-buy if I hadn't already bought it on the 360 (or felt like looking for my PSone memory card and digging out the disc), and that's pretty much all that's grabbed my attention. I mean, there might be more, but the PlayStation Store is easily the worst online shopping experience of the three consoles, so I must confess I don't visit it often.

Or course, I expect to have a newfound interest in the PlayStation Store and the PSN when WipEout HD hits.

You need a dose of Super Stardust HD, Everyday Shooter, and Calling All Cars.

You need a dose of Super Stardust HD, Everyday Shooter, and Calling All Cars.

I'll look to see if there are demos of them later.

To be fair, though, I haven't bought more than a few XBLA games, either. I applaud both Sony and Microsoft for providing a platform for smaller, cheaper, and sometimes more innovative games, but I just don't think they're my cup of tea.

My friend in the dorm room down the hall has a PS3 we play on all the time. He's got alot of the downloadable games, and before X-mas break, I tried Calling All Cars, and honestly, I've never gotten so crazy into a game and driven so nuts by one.... it took me like three hours to beat one round of four levels for an unlockable, bc/ once I started to play it, it was so infuriating at first that I was determined to beat it out of spite, but it ended up being a total blast. Granted I was screaming and yelling and swearing and hollering at the TV and totally worn out afterwards, but it was super fun.

If you're playing 2D fighters, it will look like that on a fixed panel regardless of it being on a PS2 or PS3. One question: what kind of cable are you currently using? You said you only had the pack in composite, yet say you are playing at HD res. WHat kind of TV as well might be helpful. As for the 80GB software emulation..even now, every firmware update adds increased compatibility.

That said, I use my one of my PS2's or 60GB if I want to play PS2 games, but the only issues I have with the 80GB playing PS2 games were with some FMV sequences stuttering on some RPG's and MGS3 being "slow". Same like glitchy XBObxon 360 games...just not "right" with emulation.

Best fix: play a PS3 game in HD with the right set of cables and enjoy HD gaming. :p

It's an HDMI cable. I stewed a bit after making that post earlier rather than hooking up the ps3. I'm still amazed they packaged in that piece of crap composite cable for a hi def machine. Anyway, after stewing, I rationally decided to go to the store and get an HDMI cable to do it right.......for another $30......*grumble*

The tv is a Westinghouse 1080p 42".

I've been playing with it a little more. I'm starting to think it's my tv, and that the HDMI settings for it needs to be fine tuned(my tv has seperate settings for each input). I also found out that I had my tv setup so that it was upscaling/filling the 480i feed from the ps2 to fill the whole screen, and doing such a *damn* good job of it that I had forgotten that it was the tv and thought it was all the ps2. The fill option on the PS3 doesn't look as sharp, nor fill as well, on my set anyway. I probably posted prematurely as the pack-in ps3 game looked fantastic and without issue. I just really wanted to plug in and play and do with it what I've been doing lately with my ps2 and not have to do anything else. And the ps2 games I tested all had issues of some sort, most likely because I have all the weird non-mainstream titles in my collection.

I'm still ticked that a brand spanking new game like Fire Pro is glitched and graphically unplayable. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'm no longer in a rush to get rid of my ps2.

Finally. I hope this is true.

CES 2008: Sony Confirms In-Game XMB Sometime in ’08

Posted by Relin, 1 hour ago Jan 8, 2008 18:14

Sony’s gaming division might have a small showing at this year’s CES, but that isn’t keep Paul Purdy from dropping some big PS3 news: in-game Xross Media Bar (XMB) access is confirmed for 2008. When pressed for a date or timeframe with more solidarity, the Sony rep countered with a "no further comments" and left us praying that the long-awaited feature will release sooner rather than later.

For those not aware, the PS3’s operating system is unavailable while in games. This prevents the use of custom soundtracks or messenging while a game is active, and since the Xbox 360 offers its users both while in-game, PS3 owners have been justifiably frustrated.

More information to come as it is released.

http://ps3.thegamereviews.com/story-382-CE...time-in-08.html

Got the Warhawk expansion the other night. Pretty fun, though it seems to me this should have been a standard free update to keep interest in an otherwise increasingly older game. Always looking for more Clan Members, too.

I've been playing lots of COD4 recently, too. Hit me up if anyone wants to play either.

PSN: Uxi

Got the Warhawk expansion the other night. Pretty fun, though it seems to me this should have been a standard free update to keep interest in an otherwise increasingly older game. Always looking for more Clan Members, too.

I've been playing lots of COD4 recently, too. Hit me up if anyone wants to play either.

PSN: Uxi

it's too bad the PS3 and 360 COD4 guys can't play against each other. could you imagine the sort of grudge matches we could be witness to?

I bought that WWE game. Play around with a bit and an hour ago went online to wrestle some random stranger.

When the person's created characters looks like some demon lord you know this maybe an interesting experience. Last night I lost one match and the rest were draws to a variety of players. His guy must play this character all day and night. I got bored and just pressed nothing after a while. I don't think he figured out that I stopped playing.

I have the "old" PS3 60 and more PS2 games than PS3, the only PS2 game that looks like crap is "Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb" everything else looks great.

I am using the standard cable with a 30 inch Philips flat screen.

So day I will get a better TV and then I guess things will go to crap.

How longs has it taken for Blue-ray disks to arrive?

I'm still ticked that a brand spanking new game like Fire Pro is glitched and graphically unplayable. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'm no longer in a rush to get rid of my ps2.

I have the "old" PS3 60 and more PS2 games than PS3, the only PS2 game that looks like crap is "Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb" everything else looks great.

I am using the standard cable with a 30 inch Philips flat screen.

So day I will get a better TV and then I guess things will go to crap.

How longs has it taken for Blue-ray disks to arrive?

You're not going to have the issues that Alpha OTS has. The older 20GB and 60GB PS3s don't emulate the PS2 hardware, they actually have an Emotion Engine chip.

Is there any way to determine which 60g models carry the chip?

In the States? I think all of them. The 20GBs were phased out first, then the 60GBs were replaced by chipless 80's, then they later added the 40's to the line up.

In the States? I think all of them. The 20GBs were phased out first, then the 60GBs were replaced by chipless 80's, then they later added the 40's to the line up.

wait a sec..I thought the 80GB still had one chip left and they were still doing software emu for it even though some ps2 games won't work on it. and the 40GB ones are the chipless ones.

wait a sec..I thought the 80GB still had one chip left and they were still doing software emu for it even though some ps2 games won't work on it. and the 40GB ones are the chipless ones.

EE is missing on the 80. But the GSX is there. Hence the ability to play 70-80 percent of PS2 games. The 80 isn't as "gimped" as mont think...unless you play a lot of games with fmv in them...those seem to stutter a lot during the video.

40GB plays no PS2 games. But will play PS1 games. ^_^

Well, when I said chipless, I did it for simplicity, but I was referring to the Emotion Engine, since it's the reason the 60GB PS3's didn't need software emulation. But yeah, the 80GB units still do software emu, and the 40GBs don't even do that.

At this point, it certainly saves space to just have one console, but if I hadn't already bought a 60, I'd buy a 40GB. 40GB seems like enough storage, and if it's not, the HDD is easily upgraded later. The memory card slots aren't necessary since you still have the USB ports, and speaking of those, I've yet to use more than two at a time on mine, so I can't say that I personally need four. Save the extra $100, and hang on to my PS2 (which I did anyway).