Latest 1/48 GBP Pics

Graham

Not to string everyone along with another post and still no pictures, but just thought I'd throw out a public safety warning for all new GBP owners.

Use as little force as possible to push your missiles in, especially those on the chest. In what might be the weakest part since the 19's Tab-B, the chest armor is an accident waiting to happen. You see, it is designed so that as the doors open the respective missiles rotate out slightly. This is a cool little feature and all, but it is accomplished by a single (weak) plastic arm that rests behind the missile holding rack. The problem is, as you can imagine, it's difficult to insert the missiles into this holding rack without opening the door that's covering it. Yet, at the same time, when you open the door it rotates the the holding rack by default, meaning you're going to put a lot of pressure on that little rotating arm every time you pop a missile in. One of the arms on mine already has white stress marks and looks like it is going to go at any moment.

I would suggest trying each of the longer missiles on the chest rack first to see if any naturally slide in, or failing that, I would get at least one in solidly and then push it sideways against the holding rack to help take some of the pressure off the arm as you are pushing the other missiles in.

In short, I wish, I wish, I wish Yamato would have made this little level arm metal. Doh! gonna have to be really careful from now on.

Sorry this might not make too much sense without pictures, but once you get one in your hand you should see what I mean. Otherwise, I'll try to scrounge up a camera that can do close zooms.

Take care with them toys guys. :)

Edited by LePoseur

Man....I may have to sell all  six of my Taka GBP1S armors now...The Yamato GBP-1S is just badass.....

355790[/snapback]

What is this Bandai I hear of? Taka who? For all I know Yamato is the only company that are making great valks. **Runs like forest from angry MW junkies**

:D

I have pictures but the forum is not allowing me to post it! :angry:

Box is as big as a regular 1/48 and is beautiful! I love the stone marble background. Too bad the big size could have been cut down to reduce some shipping cost.

Includes scuplted DYRL Hands and not the TV fat hands! :D

355557[/snapback]

Hm, can you post a link instead then?

And I totally agree about the box size, these REALLY need to be reduced it is ridiculous and the shipping is a pain in the arse! <_<

Very nice job Hayao Kakizaki. Nice decals!!! Are those water slide or the stickers that came with the armor? I can't wait to do the same thing to mine when it comes in.  :)  :)  :)

355886[/snapback]

this is original sticker come with the box, this sticker is good enough~!(except you want custom decal) :)

355907[/snapback]

Those stock sticker work for me! :D Good job! I know it took some time and the end result is NICE!!!

As MWer Hayao Kakizaki has already posted an extensive review with excellent photos on the Yamato 1/48 GBP-1S armor parts set in this thread, I'm not going to bother writing my own full-length review as I had originally planned, as it would be somewhat redundant now.

However, I will post a few comments and observations here on the 1/48 GBP-1S armor set: -

MISSILES

All the missiles including the forearm missiles and hip grenades are removable. Here's a photo of the 4 different types.

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

missiles.jpg

• The short white missiles fit in the shoulder pods. Yamato are kind enough to supply two extra spare missiles in case of loss.
  • The long white missiles are for the chest, and lower leg launchers. Again, Yamato supply two extra spare missiles.
  • The 6 long blue missiles fit in the forearms (3 per arm). No spares are supplied, so be careful not to lose any.
  • The short blue grenades fit on the hips (3 per side). Also, no spares for these are supplied, so be careful not to lose them. The grenades consist of two pieces, being the main body and the end cap. The end cap must be removed first in order to slide the grenade off of the hip armor. One cool thing is the grenade can be held in the hand, to simulate a throwing pose. See pics below: -

Click on thumbnails to enlarge

grenade-1.jpg

grenade-2.jpg

The short white missiles fit quite securely in the shoulder pods, yet they can still easily be removed by pulling them out by hand. However, they should not normally fall out by themselves.

The long white missiles are a bit difficult to install in the chest armor as the fit is quite tight. Note, the internal grey plastic rack that holds the missiles in the chest seems to be a moveable peice, so care must be taken not to use too much force to install the missiles or you may risk damaging the joints that hold the rack in place. I've found rather than try to push the missiles straight in, which requires a lot of force, it is better to gently twist (rotate) them in using your thumb and index finger. It's probably best not to remove the chest missiles too often due to the tight fit and the risk of perhaps damaging the internal parts that move the rack when you open the chest covers.

The long white missiles go into the leg launchers easily. The fit on the rear leg launchers is quite tight, so they will not fall out easily by themselves. The fit on the side leg launchers is a bit looser though, so that if the missile covers are open and you pick up and gently shake the toy, one or two of the side leg missiles may fall out.

The blue forearm missiles fit quite securely, but can be removed easily.

ARMOR

The plastic used in the armor is very good, being the same type as used in the 1/48 FAST Packs.

The armor installs easily, without any major problems and the fit is very good. I think it took me about 5 minutes for me to install the armor on my VF-1J.

Everybody will be happy to know that the armor is very secure, unlike the atrocious 1/60 GBP-1S armour where parts fell of if you looked at it the wrong way. Yamato have definitely learned their lesson in this regard. The loosest parts are the hip grenade racks, but even they are quite secure.

One thing I'm very happy about is that Yamato have made the back boosters extremely secure. As with the 1/48 FAST packs, the GBP-1S's back boosters connect to the Valkyrie using two metal prongs that plug into twin slots in the Valkyrie's back pack. However, Yamato have also added an extra hook to the side of each booster, which hooks arond the edge of the Valkyrie's back plate. This prevents the heavy back boosters from flopping backwards if the top connecting hook or additional neck peice comes loose. Photos of the hook on the side of the booster can be seen below: -

hook.jpg

hook-1.jpg

hook-2.jpg

As with the 1/48 FAST Packs, Yamato have also included an additional piece which fits at the back of the neck (behind the head) to help secure the backpack. This time the peice is grey instead of white. When I first tried to fit this piece, I thought that it was oversize as it did not want to fit into place, However, with a bit of downward force it clicked into place and has not popped out even once. This is a big improvement on the FAST Pack neck peice IMO, which is constantly coming loose. A pic of the GBP grey backpack locking piece can be seen below.

neck.jpg

The armour is actually quite thick on the legs and arms and looks like it would actually offer good protection to the Valk in combat. Here's a pic where you can see the thickness of the arm armor: -

arm-armor.jpg

DIMENSIONS

• A 1/48 VF-1J fitted with the GBP-1S Armor set weighs 925g / 32.63 Ounces.
  • Height (to the top of the boosters) is 29cm / 11.42 Inches.

PROBLEMS

Unlike in MWer Hayao Kakizaki's review, I did have a bit of a balance issue with my Hikaru VF-1J when fitted with the GBP-1S Armor. I don't know if the ankle joints on my Valk are loose or not, but if not balanced just right, the toy has a tendency to want to fall forward.

This was the only problem I have encountered with the toy so far.

BOX & STICKERS

Typical oversize Yamato box, with a flip top so that you can see the contents. As usual made of flimsy card stock and using a plastic inner tray. I didn't bother taking any photos of the box as there are several photos online already, so we all know what it looks like. I have infact already thrown my box away. I didn't measure the box, but it looks about the size of a standard 1/48 VF-1 box.

I'll be picking up my second GBP next week sometime and will probably keep the box for that if anybody does want more photos.

Not much comment on the stickers at this time as I have only quickly glanced at them.

Lots of numbers provided, which is a good thing, so the GBP is not limited to being Hikaru's No.1.As usual with Yamato, the stickers are pre-cut, but look like they need a lot of trimming.

HANDS

Some people have asked to see photos of the new hands on a Valk without armor. Here's a couple of photos with the forearm armor removed (I was too lazy to remove all the armor): -

hand-1_000.jpg

hand-2.jpg

Personally, I think that while the new hands look excellent on the Valk when fitted with the GBP-1S armor, they are a little too large for an unarmored Valk.

CONCLUSION

Overall, I'm highly impressed by this latest 1/48 Macross offering from Yamato. It's well engineered, seems quite sturdy so far, has good proportions, is highly detailed and IMO has an excellent sculpt.

I originally planned just to buy two, but I like it so much that I'm now considering buying a third.

I apologise for the poor quality of the photos, which were taken in a hurry under poor lighting, without using a tripod.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Double post, but I've noted this just minutes ago, in regards to the tipping of the battloid due to loose ankles or leg joints ... this is one of my biggest fears after seeing this problem with the fast packs.

"... don't you guys think that since there is no guarantee that the ankle joints for all valkyries will be tight enough to support fast packs, (and now the GBP) ... that it'll be a possibility for yamato to have some add-on that will add stability to that battloid mode? This "ankle/foot brace" will be deep & wide, and will have some extension that braces on the rear bottoms of the leg armors.

And the brace should elevate the battloid up to 3/4" to an 1" inch ... to tower over battloids without the GBP ... this would really work well and accentuate the heaviness and the "bad-ass-ness" of the GBP armor.

What do you guys think?"

Is this an easy task? Do you guys think Yamato will make some sort of add-on later?

post-2303-1135924800_thumb.jpg

Just a little follow-up on Graham's review plus a little for my warning earlier.

Do what the man says and rotate your chest missiles in. Also, I wouldn't really think about removing them once you have them in (unless they went in loose or you filed them down a bit first) as the stress cracked arm I was talking about in my last post gave way last night and now I have a left side chest rack that must be rotated manually. :(

Good news is it's not a disabling injury like a Tab B, but still... better if it had never broken.

Thanks for the reivew and pics. The hands really do look too massive without armor. I guess it helps offset the size of the other parts of its body becuase of how chunky it looks overall.

I wonder if 1J sales will suddenly go up from the release of GBP?

I'm really glad the armor is under no threat of suddenly popping off. That was going to be my main concern. Imagine if you had the thing open and it popped off and all the little missiles went flying all over the place?

Now they just need to make the armor for vf0 so you can have the two chunky guys sumo wrestle each other. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Hi All, just to give my 2 cents worth on the balancing.... basically i did not have much issues with it. but some adjustments were of course necessary to make sure that the valk stands upright.

Additionally, to make it even more secure, can simply push the legs down as EXO said, but IMO, not necessary

To conclude, it probably varies from valk to valk, but on the whole, the GBP's weight is spread out much more evenly than the FPs.

KJ