LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

HG can't afford Kawamori much less a whole crew that can bring them a good series...

But WB certainly have the money, which can very well afford Kawamori & crew.

Of course, the only way ROBOTECH live action movie to look remotely Macross, if the RTLAM production can hired Kawamori as mecha consultant (a big IF).

Not your classic rip-off VF-1 Valkyrie, simply redesigned Veritech VF-1 which closely resembled the original mecha.

That way, RTLAM cannot touched any original Macross designs, but still managed to come with pseudo Macross-inspired designs. You guys gonna scream ripoffs all you care, but RT won't be RT if HG didn't ripoff the original series ....

Edited by Protoculture

Undoubtedly, with Tobey McGuire masquerading as Rick Hunter in deciding which saga RTLAM possible cash cow; that is the Macross Saga, there's high probability previous unused RT Sentinel mecha designs get revived to replace SDF:M original designs, but looks close enough to click with RT audience.

The Mecha Casting Call (Zentraedi):

1)SDFM Regult can be replaced with Z1 Battlepod (RT RPG, unused Sentinel preproduction art):

z-1.gif

2)SDFM Glaug can be replaced with Z2 Officerpod (RT RPG, unused Sentinel preproduction art):

z-2.gif

3)SDFM Nousjaedul Ger or Quaedlunn-Rau can be replaced with Bioroid Interceptor (RT comic Prelude to The Shadow Chronicles):

InterceptorFront.jpg

4)For all general Zent ships, in the movie, this unused Sentinel pre-production design can compensate for the Zentraedi armada:

SDF-8.gif

Edited by Protoculture

Mecha Casting Call: UEDF / RDF* Destroid Mecha Lineup

* Thanks to legal wrangle, no UN Spacy in RTLAM

1) RDF Tomahawk can be replaced to MBR-10 Excalibur (RT RPG):

excaliber.gif

2) RDF Phalanx can be replaced to SDR-10 Shark (RT RPG):

spartan.gif

3) RDF Spartan can be replaced with MBR-09 Gladiator (RT RPG):

gladiator.gif

4) RDF Defender can be replaced to ADR-10 Catapult (RT RPG):

raidar-x.gif

5) RDF Monster can be replaced by HWR-03 Thundercracker (RT RPG):

mac-iii.gif

Mecha Casting Call: VF-1 Replacement

As for VF-1 Valkyrie, well, Big West own the lineart, so HG can kiss its arse goodbye if it ever to use the design.

At the moment, most fan speculate that F-22 Raptor most likely will inspire the neo-version of VF-1.

But I've a sinking feeling that if the big macs over at HG & WB want to milked anything remotely Macross in RTLAM, there's high chance the final retcon VF-1 will resembled like this:

SW-XA1.jpg

Yeah, the retcon VF-1 probably look alotta awful lot like VFE (Valkyrie Experimental Fighter) SW-AX-1 Schneeblume above. The VFE design has 'stealth' features much like contemporaries F-22 Raptor & JSF Lightning, of course, in pseudo neo VF-1 Valkyrie.

There's high chance Tommy Yune will redesign that thing & spin it into his 'original' & 'inspired' new VF-1.

A Robotech movie based on the RPG, I don't know what to say. Artistic license is another story, but I wonder how the story turns out.

Not the story (let face it, RTLAM is another heavily retcon SDF:M, RT-style), only the mecha design. The production team may not want to use SDF:M mecha designs that are under BW rights, but using RT-verse existing mecha designs that looks atleast, nostalgic-wise, like its Macross counterpart.

It wouldn't be all that hard to just rip off the vf-0 though would it? (but without being identical, just change enough things to make it legally look different enough in the same way hasbro can make cars not look identical to the real cars they are based on in order to avoid paying a license to the car manufacturer)

And let's be honest with ourselves: SK also designed the fire valks with faces on them and the vf-11 with boobs. Not all the designs from him are Gold!

I think the idea of a competition even if it was just a joke, sounds like a pretty good idea. Wasn't there one guy who made transformable Destroid Spartan a while ago on these forums? I actually thought that was pretty cool!

Would making them look like Bandai Chunky Monkeys make them too close to the VF-1 line-art, or could HG pull that off?

(looking at the changes made to bootleg toys to make 'em more legit, I'd say they could get away with it...)

• 2 weeks later...

Harmony Gold already has access to a totally uncontested variable fighter design, but its unlikely they will use it: the Sylphide. Sure, its from Southern Cross, but it g&ddamn sure isn't going to attract a herd of lawyers threatening to sue them for its use. Its Battloid Mode would look sufficiently enough like that of a VF-1, while its Guardian Mode would resemble that of the Alpha, thus making it the perfect springboard. All it requires is thinking outside the box, because the arms form the bottom nacelles while the legs form the top (the back half of the mecha would do a 180 degree flip when transitioning from Fighter to either Guardian or Battloid).

post-646-1217504344_thumb.jpg

post-646-1217504364_thumb.jpg

VF_7_Sylphide__03_.BMP

VF_7_Sylphide__07_.BMP

VF_7_Sylphide__08_.BMP

VF_7_Sylphide__09_.BMP

VF_7_Sylphide__12_.BMP

Uh, it wasn't in SC because this is a fan-made creation, not a canon design. There's a dialogue error in the Robotech version of the show where the fighter is referred to as a 'veritech fighter' and 1st Border took that idea and ran with it. The real problem with it is the Sylphide is a terrible looking fighter so kudos to the artist for making it more attractive in the other modes. You could also say the concept Gamma fighter is unique uncontested transformable fighter design but HG didn't like that one enough to keep it in Shadow Chronicles apparently. When it comes right down to it, as with just about anything that goes live action, we should expect completely new designs that have only the slightest resemblance in form or function to the original. The studio will hire someone and they will give us their take on what these mechs should look like with disregard for the originals.

Edited by jenius

That's what I've been saying all along. WB won't get sued for using existing mecha, simply because they'd never do that anyway: Hollywood has its own concept design industry and that's an industry Hollywood has to feed. That said I'd love to see a reimagining of the Alpha/Beta and Cyclone concepts, but not with shiny pistons and hoses showing everywhere, please.

As for Hiring Kawamori, or any other famous designer from the period, it would depend on if Tobey McGuire (or HG, I'm kinda lost here) thinks high of them enough to persuade WB executives to get them on the project whatever the cost.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Uh, it wasn't in SC because this is a fan-made creation, not a canon design. There's a dialogue error in the Robotech version of the show where the fighter is referred to as a 'veritech fighter' and 1st Border took that idea and ran with it.

Uhh...isn't that how about 75% of Robotech "canon" came to be in the first place?

Harmony Gold already has access to a totally uncontested variable fighter design, but its unlikely they will use it: the Sylphide. Sure, its from Southern Cross, but it g&ddamn sure isn't going to attract a herd of lawyers threatening to sue them for its use.
So what you're saying is that you'll just hand over the work that you and Greg Lane did on your variable fighter design to Harmony Gold for free? So that they in turn can hand it over to a movie studio, who will then use the design in the movie and license toys, models, etc. based on it? And that both of you will promise never to ask for one cent? That's awfully generous.

So what you're saying is that you'll just hand over the work that you and Greg Lane did on your variable fighter design to Harmony Gold for free? So that they in turn can hand it over to a movie studio, who will then use the design in the movie and license toys, models, etc. based on it? And that both of you will promise never to ask for one cent? That's awfully generous.

Which they own the copyright for to begin with. They could just as easily sue my ass into oblivion since my 'work' is a derivative of their IP.

Which they own the copyright for to begin with. They could just as easily sue my ass into oblivion since my 'work' is a derivative of their IP.

And why would they bother adopting the design if they might have to hire a lawyer and sue someone one day down the road?

It's cool-looking, Dave, but the idea that the Sylphide is going to be used in the live action movie is really wishful thinking on your part.

that's a pretty neat design.

i'm with Roger on this one though, that does sound like too much wishful thinking & generosity.

i for one wouldn't want HG anywhere near my designs.

knowing how they do things, they're likely to sue me for a completely original design,

while they claim it's part or derivative of their dubious IP.

i'd prefer approaching Hasbro/TakaTomy instead. however unlikely, there's a better future there.

i'm with Roger on this one though, that does sound like too much wishful thinking

Its not wishful thinking because I know that Tommy Yune wouldn't think that way because its from Southern Cross. He may like to claim otherwise, but he has never gone out of his way not to hose the middle chapter of Robotech. I guarantee that any new iteration of The Sentinels that he would be at the helm of would have every trace of Southern Cross influence removed because 'thats The Army of the Southern Cross's gear, not the REF's', eventhough its rather explicitly stated in the series scripts that The Army of the Southern Cross is the ground combat command of the REF and there is more than enough visual evidence showing the numerous pieces of gear the ASC use in Robotech as being part of the REF arsenal.

i for one wouldn't want HG anywhere near my designs. knowing how they do things, they're likely to sue me for a completely original design,

while they claim it's part or derivative of their dubious IP.

Considering the Shadow Dancer Cyclone made it into the Invasion videogame, which was a design from the old Protoculture Addicts fanzine when it was still solely about Robotech, I think you're mistaken.

i'd prefer approaching Hasbro/TakaTomy instead. however unlikely, there's a better future there.

::sighs::

You don't get it, as usual. The only people that will have ANY say in a future for the Southern Cross designs are Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko. Given the ambivalence of the Japanese towards the series, any new iteration would have to come from Harmony Gold.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Old Brooklyn Reg Devil never makes sense. He lives in his own little world where everything is true just because he says so. I think it's funny how much he complains about Tommy Yune when he and Tommy are cut from the same cloth. I mean really, who is Yune except a fanfic writer who got his big break and now he gets to make more fan stuff and every has to deal with his poo. So it's really just one Southern Cross fanatic vs a Mospeada fanatic. And quite frankly, I'd rather let Southern Cross die (well, more than it has) that let vultures pick it apart.

I don't own the copyright, since its part of a preexisting IP. By simply putting it on the internet HG could take me to court and sue me. Even if I won, I would be dead-ass broke from the resulting legal fees.

I'm sorry, this makes no sense.

This makes sense!

You mean you would give up a chance to see horribly rendered CG fighters battle for supremacy, in a story and time period to be named at a later date?!?!?

You sir, are a mad man.

Anyway the reason for the post is because I just happen to overhear a producer on the phone at Comic-Con. This was all i was really able to over hear.

First 15 minutes are going to be a CG orgy that will easily be a 10 on the Lucis-an scale of Special Effects. They will include the final space battle of "Space War 1" and a new version of "We Will Win", and I even got the asian lady from spiderman 2 to sing it.

She was a Package deal with toby.

Then move on to hover tanks then to the Alpha fighers. Then they will introduce Shia Lebouf as this brash, hot shot pilot who is going on an expedition to find hikaru, sorry "Rick".

What happens next? Well they find him.

They go about trying to reunite his crew, because well they left. Not really sure why, but at this point we just need filler for the rest of the movie.

Then they find MECHA-KYRON and CYBER-whats her name, and they kidnap her. They take her to a fortress that looks like the same one from the beginning (We can reuse the footage from the first battle). Minmei must be rescued, so rick goes out to fight, and is joined by lebouf.

You may ask yourself why is rick running out there to save minmei? well because he still has feelings for her. I know we supposedly resolved this love-triangle thing like 6 or 7 times in the series but trust me, robotech fans love it. I mean seriously they polish each other off when they hear a mention of it.

Well once that it taken care of they come back to earth and destroy the SDF-1, and the remaining protoculture.

Well its pretty simple actually, you see environmentalism is all the rage now I mean it got Keanu Reeves a job in The Day the Earth Stood Still. And if it makes you feel any better we can say it causes cancer.

yes like cellphones.

Anyway thats it pretty much for the movie and we can just use a mix between the f-22, f-14, and Zeta Gundam. And the SDF-1 can look like a mix between the boat from "Tomorrow Never Dies", an Aircraft Carrier, and an Escalade with 22 inch rims, you know so we can get the urban market. Anyway I gotta run chao.

Posting this here so as to not create another RT thread that gets closed:

Just got back from Mechacon (Louisiana) and a friend of mine attended the Robotech panel wherin it was announced that Harmony Gold/Toynami are finalizing getting the rights to DYRL merchandising. NOT the movie, but the merchandise rights are apparently going to be shared for US distribution.

How in the HELL did that happen? Is WB going on behalf of HG now? They seemed pretty darn sure of having the merchandising rights, so this looks to not be just a rumor...

Posting this here so as to not create another RT thread that gets closed:

Just got back from Mechacon (Louisiana) and a friend of mine attended the Robotech panel wherin it was announced that Harmony Gold/Toynami are finalizing getting the rights to DYRL merchandising. NOT the movie, but the merchandise rights are apparently going to be shared for US distribution.

How in the HELL did that happen? Is WB going on behalf of HG now? They seemed pretty darn sure of having the merchandising rights, so this looks to not be just a rumor...

Toynami has been doing stuff with the DYRL merchandising for about 4 years now, about 6-7 years with stuff representing the TV series. Maybe what your friend heard had to do with them doing the 1/100th Macross line (which includes Un Spacey and Zentradi mecha from both the TV series and DYRL) and releasing the 1/55th Bandai VF-1's under the Macross label. Probably reiteration of old news.

You mean you would give up a chance to see horribly rendered CG fighters battle for supremacy, in a story and time period to be named at a later date?!?!?

You sir, are a mad man.

Anyway the reason for the post is because I just happen to overhear a producer on the phone at Comic-Con. This was all i was really able to over hear.

First 15 minutes are going to be a CG orgy that will easily be a 10 on the Lucis-an scale of Special Effects. They will include the final space battle of "Space War 1" and a new version of "We Will Win", and I even got the asian lady from spiderman 2 to sing it.

She was a Package deal with toby.

Then move on to hover tanks then to the Alpha fighers. Then they will introduce Shia Lebouf as this brash, hot shot pilot who is going on an expedition to find hikaru, sorry "Rick".

What happens next? Well they find him.

They go about trying to reunite his crew, because well they left. Not really sure why, but at this point we just need filler for the rest of the movie.

Then they find MECHA-KYRON and CYBER-whats her name, and they kidnap her. They take her to a fortress that looks like the same one from the beginning (We can reuse the footage from the first battle). Minmei must be rescued, so rick goes out to fight, and is joined by lebouf.

You may ask yourself why is rick running out there to save minmei? well because he still has feelings for her. I know we supposedly resolved this love-triangle thing like 6 or 7 times in the series but trust me, robotech fans love it. I mean seriously they polish each other off when they hear a mention of it.

Well once that it taken care of they come back to earth and destroy the SDF-1, and the remaining protoculture.

Well its pretty simple actually, you see environmentalism is all the rage now I mean it got Keanu Reeves a job in The Day the Earth Stood Still. And if it makes you feel any better we can say it causes cancer.

yes like cellphones.

Anyway thats it pretty much for the movie and we can just use a mix between the f-22, f-14, and Zeta Gundam. And the SDF-1 can look like a mix between the boat from "Tomorrow Never Dies", an Aircraft Carrier, and an Escalade with 22 inch rims, you know so we can get the urban market. Anyway I gotta run chao.

:lol: bloody brilliant. :lol:

LOVE the part about rick going to the rescue again (underlined). :p

Edited by dreamweaver13

Harmony Gold already has access to a totally uncontested variable fighter design, but its unlikely they will use it: the Sylphide. Sure, its from Southern Cross, but it g&ddamn sure isn't going to attract a herd of lawyers threatening to sue them for its use. Its Battloid Mode would look sufficiently enough like that of a VF-1, while its Guardian Mode would resemble that of the Alpha, thus making it the perfect springboard. All it requires is thinking outside the box, because the arms form the bottom nacelles while the legs form the top (the back half of the mecha would do a 180 degree flip when transitioning from Fighter to either Guardian or Battloid).

I like this idea and this rendition of the Sylphide.