Macross 7

Well, Macross 7 has some of the best Mecha/VF designs in it.

Along with some of the worst animation to come out of the mid 90's. No excuse for the low production value of the series.

Eh... if that were such a big problem then we'd all hate the much crappier animation mistakes and quality in the original SDF Macross TV enough to never watch it, much less restore it.

The animation in M7 never bothered me a bit. I can understand alot of the "I just don't get it/it's not my cup of tea", though. To each their own.

I'm just glad I wasn't too put off by some comments enough to give it a shot. It ended up being a great show that I've watched 3 times now.

errr, most of us actually do DISLIKE/HATE/MAKE-FUN-OF the animation-mistakes in SDF-M. Crucifying Animefiend for animation-mistakes and blasting HG/Macek for the RT-dubs/splicing are a good sport.

And yet, even with AnimeFiend and HG/Macek screwing up SDF-M, we STILL love SDF-Macross. And for the RT-fans, they still like the Macross-saga, despite the re-writes and the dubs.

Most of us can withstand and tolerate the bad stuff in SDF-TV. It's just that prolly more than half of us cannot stand nor tolerate the same things in M7. Especially considering M7 was a mid-90's release, so the sophistication and technology were available for M7 that SDF-TV was just lacking as an early 80's release.

Most of us can withstand and tolerate the bad stuff in SDF-TV. It's just that prolly more than half of us cannot stand nor tolerate the same things in M7.

And this makes sense because...?

Especially considering M7 was a mid-90's release, so the sophistication and technology were available for M7 that SDF-TV was just lacking as an early 80's release.

It's all about the money. I tolerated it in SDF M cause the story was great, and there is a measure of great art. Same thing goes towards M7.

Edited by dna

Most of us can withstand and tolerate the bad stuff in SDF-TV. It's just that prolly more than half of us cannot stand nor tolerate the same things in M7.

It doesn't make sense to you?

It makes sense that compare to the other animation of the mid-90's time, M7 was just severely lacking in comparison.

Heck! For pure animation and designs category...

EVA had an atrocious pseudo-"mecha", yet the animation was great. Gundam Wing blows the mechas of M7 out of the water on just designs alone. G-Gundam had an atrocious storyline and debasing of Gundam-mecha, yet as corny as the G-Gundam mechas were, the M7 mechas were even more cornier. Nadesico's a parody of Macross, yet the Aestivalis blows EVA, Gundam and M7 in terms of the mechas and story/characterizations.

That never happened before. DYRL animation and designs still blows Zeta-Gundam and CCA off the water.

M7 completely blew the lead that Macross-Plus gave the franchise in animation, designs, characters, and story-plot over the other anime-series of the same period.

And for all the animation-mistakes and stuff of SDF-TV, it's still a way better story and characters to watch, follow, and emphatize than with First Gundam or any of it's peers (southern cross, mospeada, orguss, dunbine, etc), and even with the great Zeta-Gundam story. Can't really say the same with M7 in comparison to it's peers.

Especially considering M7 was a mid-90's release, so the sophistication and technology were available for M7 that SDF-TV was just lacking as an early 80's release.

It's all about the money. I tolerated it in SDF M cause the story was great, and there is a measure of great art. Same thing goes towards M7.

Dunno about the money thing, but I only tolerate M7 because of Max and Miria.

Edited by treatment

It doesn't make sense to you?

It makes sense that compare to the other animation of the mid-90's time, M7 was just severely lacking in comparison.

Heck! For pure animation and designs category...

EVA had an atrocious pseudo-"mecha", yet the animation was great. Gundam Wing blows the mechas of M7 out of the water on just designs alone. G-Gundam had an atrocious storyline and debasing of Gundam-mecha, yet as corny as the G-Gundam mechas were, the M7 mechas were even more cornier. Nadesico's a parody of Macross, yet the Aestivalis blows EVA, Gundam and M7 in terms of the mechas and story/characterizations.

That never happened before. DYRL animation and designs still blows Zeta-Gundam and CCA off the water.

M7 completely blew the lead that Macross-Plus gave the franchise in animation, designs, characters, and story-plot over the other anime-series of the same period.

And for all the animation-mistakes and stuff of SDF-TV, it's still a way better story and characters to watch, follow, and emphatize than with First Gundam or any of it's peers (southern cross, mospeada, orguss, dunbine, etc), and even with the great Zeta-Gundam story. Can't really say the same with M7 in comparison to it's peers.

Dunno about the money thing, but I only tolerate M7 because of Max and Miria.

This is turning into opinion rather than fact. The fact of the matter is, the animation in M7 is a step up from the animation in SDF Macross for the most part. It is better drawn and has less crappy animation. Thsi is all relative, of course, given that M7 isn't what I'd call 'good' animation either.

The idea DNA questioned was the idea that if we like SDF Macross because of the story, and are willing to overlook some bad animation because of that (yes we do poke fun at it, maliciously at times, yet we still love the show itself) but not willing to overlook bad animation, that is still better than SDF Macross's animation, and enjoy it's other merits.

Of course, if you don't like the other aspects of M7 the point becomes mute and the lackluster animation is just one more thing to dislike and not overlook. But your posts read as if the animation was reason enough to dislike the show despite the show's merits.

As for your comments on designs, well most of that is purely opinion, but some of it...Gundam Wing has better designs? Man, they lack any sense of style or restraint, and come off looking like Gundams designed by some 15 year old Gundam fanboy for his self insertion fan faction crossover with Voltron! That's my professional opinion. Hell, they strongly remind me of some of the Valkyrie designs I came up with when I was about 15, guns everywhere, invincible armour,engines everwyhere. I grew out of that.

G Gundam. Shining Finger. That's all I have.

Eva, my view is based less off opinion. Eva had great animation for about 2-3 minutes per episode and the rest of the episode was practically still frames.

However, no one has ever claimed that animation was M7's strong point. The strong points are the theme and character developement, which it pulls off wonderfully, far better than pretty much any of it's peers that I can think of, except perhaps Eva which used failing social situations and festering psychological disorders which make it far easier to make a character look 'deep and well rounded' than a more realistic character who's flaws are not nearly so extreme.

I'm not trying to change your opinion of the show, but I am trying to point out that there are reasons why some of us like the show. It's one thing to simply not appreciate those things, it's quite another to say they don't exist.

This is turning into opinion rather than fact. The fact of the matter is, the animation in M7 is a step up from the animation in SDF Macross for the most part. It is better drawn and has less crappy animation. Thsi is all relative, of course, given that M7 isn't what I'd call 'good' animation either.

The idea DNA questioned was the idea that if we like SDF Macross because of the story, and are willing to overlook some bad animation because of that (yes we do poke fun at it, maliciously at times, yet we still love the show itself) but not willing to overlook bad animation, that is still better than SDF Macross's animation, and enjoy it's other merits.

That's a rather roundabout way of looking past M7's faults. In the first place, why would anyone even compare the animation-quality of M7 to SDF-TV when SDF-TV was more than 10-12 years older than M7. Try to compare the shows with it's peers, give or take 3-5 years differential. Not a 10+ years differential. A 10+ years differential will almost always be a significant step-up in animation and technology. That's a complete given.

Even the stories are different. We were spoiled with SDF-TV and Macross Plus types of stories, respectively. Then M7 brought us down with what essentially comes down to as some weird band-story in space. You M7-fans like it that way. Others just don't.

Of course, if you don't like the other aspects of M7 the point becomes mute and the lackluster animation is just one more thing to dislike and not overlook. But your posts read as if the animation was reason enough to dislike the show despite the show's merits.

However, no one has ever claimed that animation was M7's strong point. The strong points are the theme and character developement, which it pulls off wonderfully, far better than pretty much any of it's peers that I can think of, except perhaps Eva which used failing social situations and festering psychological disorders which make it far easier to make a character look 'deep and well rounded' than a more realistic character who's flaws are not nearly so extreme.

There really is almost no merit in M7 compare with it's peers. Be it animation, characterizations, plot, music, or whatever. The only merit I can think of is it has the Macross-monicker attached to it. That's just about it. It's really a disappointing series.

EVA's not the only significant show of the mid-90's in terms of theme and character-development. Nadesico blows out EVA in pretty much everything, including the Rei-vs-Ruri argument, (well except the Asuka-argument ;) ). At any rate, one can easily follow Akito Tenkawa's development compare to Basara's development or lack thereof.

As for comparing M7, EVA and Nadesico shows, Nadesico and M7 both share the peacenik themes, and yet Nadesico pulls it off better with humor and smart cynicism and parodies, and even better songs, whereas M7 pulls it's peacenik-theme off to nowhere. Nadesico's character death-tragedies were better than M7's character death-tragedies. The psuedo-political backstory is better in Nadesico than in M7.

I'm not trying to change your opinion of the show, but I am trying to point out that there are reasons why some of us like the show. It's one thing to simply not appreciate those things, it's quite another to say they don't exist.

I dunno who you're referring to, but I never said there were no reasons to like M7. I'd even stated already that I tolerate M7 because of Max and Miria. I further said that M7 was just severely lacking in comparison with it's peers.

I appreciate that you guys like M7. Really, I do. It's a great thing to be fan of any show.

But just try not to pull of non-sequitur comparisons between a 20+ year-old show (SDF-TV) and a 9+ year-old show (M7) in terms of animation and what have yah. Each show should just be compared to it's peers.

That's a rather roundabout way of looking past M7's faults. In the first place, why would anyone even compare the animation-quality of M7 to SDF-TV when SDF-TV was more than 10-12 years older than M7.

I apologize, you misunderstood my arguement. Comapre SDF Macross to it's peers, and compare M7 to it's peers. When you look at it like that, M7 compares more favourably to it's peers, than SDF to it's own peers in terms of animation. However, I do not deny that both are lacking in that category. I'm not even saying it's ok and we should just accept the bad animation, but your argument sounded like the bad animation was a basis for disliking the show entirely on it's own, yet SDF was somehow exempt from being disliked for that reason.

There really is almost no merit in M7 compare with it's peers.

I'm afraid we will just have to disagree. I see in M7 a strong theme, and character developement that far surpasses SDF, DYRL?, and Macross Plus. I'm a sucker for character developement, and that's really what drew me into this series (and probably why Gamlin is one of my favourite characters).

I can't argue your Nadesico comments as I've somehow managed not to see the series yet.

I dunno who you're referring to

Again, I was referring to my initial statement . 'Your argument sounded like the bad animation was a basis for disliking the show entirely on it's own, yet SDF was somehow exempt from being disliked for that reason.' I was going by the assumption that you think SDF is exempt from being disliked for it's animation due to it's other merits, whereas M7 had none to speak of, something I've already pointed out why I disagree.

You are correct in pointing out that M7 is very different from Macross Plus and DYRL?, but I'd say it has just about as much in common with SDF, just emphasizing different aspects.

I have yet to see anything from 7.  ....And from what I've heard over the years, I'm not exactly eager to see it.  Then again, the majority don't like Macross II all that much and I love it...so who knows.

I've always found it best in life to keep an open mind and form your own opinions on something by actually experiencing it first hand. It's never a good idea to rely too much on or let yourself be influenced too much by other peoples views. Everyone is different and has their own likes and dislikes

Mind you, I've never been one to mindlessly like something just because the Sheeple (AKA the herd) think it's trendy, in, hip (or whatever the current buzz word is).

Graham

Well, I'm not going so much on other ppl's views. I misworded the first sentence, sry. More like I'm going on what I've read about M7 (story/plot/etc.)

And to your last sentence, ditto. :p

Edited by Oihan

Don't confuse re-used animation (something no anime series at the time wasn't guilty of) with bad animation. Macross 7 re-used launch & explosion scenes, something that's all too common, and as such you can hardly blame them for. How many ways can you re-animate something launching or exploding? When it comes to actual character detail however, Macross 7 stands up exceptionally well with its peers. Very consistent detail & character, mecha & BG art.

Don't confuse re-used animation (something no anime series at the time wasn't guilty of) with bad animation. Macross 7 re-used launch & explosion scenes, something that's all too common, and as such you can hardly blame them for. How many ways can you re-animate something launching or exploding? When it comes to actual character detail however, Macross 7 stands up exceptionally well with its peers. Very consistent detail & character, mecha & BG art.

Well...yes and no. Some of the animation was very nice (although not as good as Evangelion, which debuted a year later), but the one thing that always galled me about M7 is that the animators have NO idea how to show someone playing a guitar convincingly. I mean, it's a small thing, but I get tired of Basara only playing one chord for an entire song...

Well...yes and no. Some of the animation was very nice (although not as good as Evangelion, which debuted a year later), but the one thing that always galled me about M7 is that the animators have NO idea how to show someone playing a guitar convincingly. I mean, it's a small thing, but I get tired of Basara only playing one chord for an entire song...

Lol, I have seen very few shows that have somebody who actually looks like they can play whatever instrument they have.

But just try not to pull of non-sequitur comparisons between a 20+ year-old show (SDF-TV) and a 9+ year-old show (M7) in terms of animation and what have yah. Each show should just be compared to it's peers.

Since I was the one who made the point originally...

I didn't say that comparing M7 and the original SDF Macross TV was remotely logical.

I was merely pointing out that the quality level of the animation does not determine whether a show is well loved. We forgive mistakes and look past errors everyday for shows that we like.

The reasons you don't like M7 have very little to do with the quality of the animation - you point that out very well - in fact, you only tolerate because it has Max & Millia. You're totally entitled to that opinion.

I find it very difficult to believe that if Basara was animated better and Sound Force was drawn more beautifully that you would like M7 any better. You would still prefer the mecha of G-Wing, the music of Nadesico, and dislike the "band in space" story.

So, it comes down, as usual, to those who like it for what it is and those who don't. Which is fine. But let's not make it about animation quality, because it's obviously not.

I don't like the looping stock-footage mecha animation in M7. You know what I'm talking about. The VF-17 and the VF-19 were primary culprits during transformations/posing. The Soundforce mecha, too. It's like they took a cheap page from magical-shows like Sailor Moon to come up with that repeating animation-footage. And the way they made Milia's VF-22 blush and giggle and stuff in one episode (i think it's in the extra-episodes), C'MON! That's really crossing the line there.

I don't remember Macross-TV having as much looping ridiculously-looking stock-footage of transformations (if any at all) and other stuff like the stuff you get in M7.

I don't like the looping stock-footage mecha animation in M7. You know what I'm talking about. The VF-17 and the VF-19 were primary culprits during transformations/posing. The Soundforce mecha, too. It's like they took a cheap page from magical-shows like Sailor Moon to come up with that repeating animation-footage. And the way they made Milia's VF-22 blush and giggle and stuff in one episode (i think it's in the extra-episodes), C'MON! That's really crossing the line there.

I don't remember Macross-TV having as much looping ridiculously-looking stock-footage of transformations (if any at all) and other stuff like the stuff you get in M7.

You need to rewatch some Macross then. They have plenty of it. And the looping animation you mention in M7 is actually not too bad looking. If you wanna complain about loop animation in M7, then complain about the poor VF-11s that keep getting blasted every episode. Not only was it badly shot, it was bad quality.

And when you mention Magcal Girl anime in conjunction with M7, you're supposeded to mention Basara and the monster of the week, not launch scenes.

Get your complaints right!

Ok, I just borrowed the macross 7 set from EXO, I hope it'll be ok. I'm reading everybody's posts and now I'm not feelin like watching it anymore. But no, I must. :p:D:lol:

Macross 7, for me, was very watchable and re-watchable. I'm pretty sure I've gone through M7 more often than SDF.

Why do I like it?

1) We get to see what happens with Max and Milia.

2) Max in a VF-22.

3) Milia in her old VF-1J.

4) Any song Mylene sang.

5) Further insight into the Protoculture.

6) VF-17s and fully armored VF-11s (sweet)

I agree that the series did run a little long but at least it didn't have the recaps every 6 or 7 episodes. Most of the 50 episodes were really episodes.

Well...yes and no. Some of the animation was very nice (although not as good as Evangelion, which debuted a year later),

But Evangelion had half the number of episodes on a equivalent budget. More time could be spent per episode and numerous other factors. If you must compare M7 to something, try Gundam. Same size with about the same size budget.

I realize I'm late to the party, but here's my Mac7 experience.

I used to be the biggest Macross 7 hater. I never wasted a moment to bash the series, but then Valkyrie and LanceW forced me to watch it. The first twelve episodes were excruciatingly bad, they were just so repetitive. But after ep 13, the plot got moving and I became interested. By episode 26, I was hooked. The series isn't without it's flaws, but it was an overall worthwhile experience. Most people watch the first two to four episodes and write off the series. The series is light on the mecha and heavy on the fun, but you have to remember that that's what Macross Plus was for. Both series were released at about the same time for a reason: Macross Plus for the serious mecha heads, and Macross 7 for the fun loving j-pop fans.

I'ts been my experience that the more I watch M7, the more I enjoy it and the more I get out of it.

I usually watch M7 all the way through from start to finish about every two years. I first watched the complete series in 1994/95 and I'm currently rewatching it from start to finish for I think the 5th time now. Of course, certain favorite episodes I've watched many more times :D

Like many people, the first time I saw M7, I experienced the standard range or responses, i.e. I bitched and moaned about the recycled footage, how annoying Basara was, the stupid Sound Force Valks with human faces and the boring initial episodes...blah, blah, blah.........etc.

However 10 years down the road, I'm older and I hope perhaps a little wiser :lol: and I found that once I got over my initial dislikes, I really started enjoying M7.

IMO it's such a multi-layered show that can be watched on so many different levels, that each time I rewatch it I always get something new out of it.

Graham

EH??

I thought the animation in Evangelion was not that good at all.

Coversely, I was very impressed with most of the animation in Macross 7, especially the character animation.

Eva has excellent animation, like I said in an earlier post, for about 5 minutes an episode. Most of the animation is (well drawn) still frames, with maybe a mouth moving or something. Sometimes not even that much. But then, an Angel attacks and the Budget kicks in, and you get to see where they spent all their animation money.

Macross 7 on the other hand, the budget is spent more on the character animation, and less on the mecha animation. That's not to say the character animation is spectacular, you do get scenes that are well drawn stills with a mouth moving, but overall the animation is more consistent, with much more character animation than Eva.

I really hated the M7. half of the time it ws that Basara singing and acting as if he was wana be Minmay (I guess that was part of the theme about the series).

Second, the valks , I am not too sure, but looks kind of odd... I guess, I am too into DYRL and SDF-1...

To me it was just a musical anime. If I have known better, I rather watch "Sound of MUsic" or alike. At least, I would have known what I was getting into.

However, like the debate on which is better, Robotech and MAcross??? there will be no clear answer, except for ones own opinion.

I have really been debating seeing any Mac7. I ususally prefer OAV or motion picture stuff for quality/consistency reasons. I don't know much about Mac7, any recommendations?

I have really been debating seeing any Mac7. I ususally prefer OAV or motion picture stuff for quality/consistency reasons. I don't know much about Mac7, any recommendations?

As Macross 7 has many ship designs and characters you cannot see in the other series, and quite a bit of additional story about Max, Millia, and the UN Spacy in general, it is worth watching. As for Basara and Sound Force, that is an acquired taste, you will either love or hate them at first. However, if you give yourself a break for say......a year.....you will most likely be able to go back and watch it again and realize it is not that bad. Its just VERY different than the original SDF Macross and is kind of a shock the first time around (was for me anyway).

You should check it out. Its not really THAT bad. I have seen allot worse (uh....Voltron defender of the universe comes to mind, and what was that filmation horror oh yah....Sherah or whatever the female Heman was called. Just plain nasty.) Macross 7 is much better than most animation and many anime (G Gundam sucks in comparison, IMHO).

As for Basara not playing more than one note (didn't notice, as I tried not to pay too much attention to him) and the reuse of combat scenes, don't sweat it. Most anime and animation series have to take liberties to meet production time and costs. A proper guitar sequence would most likely require quite a few cells and as how many note he actually can be seen playing is not really important to the Macross 7 story, the way his playing the guitar is portrayed in the anime can be overlooked.

LordSixx, give it a try and determine for yourself whether you like it or not.

Animation wise, I'd definately say 7 tops its contemporary Gundam Wing. As far as Evangelion goes, they blew their budget before the series was over, did you not see the last 2 episodes? :)

I'ts been my experience that the more I watch M7, the more I enjoy it and the more I get out of it.

That's how I got to eventually love Macross II as much as I do now.

Well...yes and no. Some of the animation was very nice (although not as good as Evangelion, which debuted a year later),

But Evangelion had half the number of episodes on a equivalent budget. More time could be spent per episode and numerous other factors. If you must compare M7 to something, try Gundam. Same size with about the same size budget.

Point well taken. And M7 holds up pretty well when compared to, say, V Gundam. And I liked some of the animation loops...the VF-11 transformation was pretty good for cannon fodder (although not as nice as one from SDF with the battroid going through an explosion and coming out a gerwalk).

And I just watched Dynamite 7 again last night, and was once again impressed with the animation there. Beautiful stuff.

Gideon,

So which would you recommend, Dynamite 7, the series, etc? Where should I start? I am also considering consistency/quality in animation when purchasing. Should I start in chronological order? In order for me to continue with a series I gotta see something that will somewhat impress to make me want to check out more. All I have seen is what was placed on the 20th Anniversary DVD, and that's not much.

Gideon,

So which would you recommend, Dynamite 7, the series, etc? Where should I start? I am also considering consistency/quality in animation when purchasing. Should I start in chronological order? In order for me to continue with a series I gotta see something that will somewhat impress to make me want to check out more. All I have seen is what was placed on the 20th Anniversary DVD, and that's not much.

At this piont I'd say you need to go back & start with some classics instead, like Space Cruiser Yamato or GE:999. There you'll learn the important lesson that you can get a great story without top of the line animation.

So which would you recommend, Dynamite 7, the series, etc? Where should I start? I am also considering consistency/quality in animation when purchasing. Should I start in chronological order?

In my humble opinion, yes. Start in chronological order (helps with the story). The TV series is as follows.

49 episodes, 25 minutes each + 26-minute special program

Special Program Macross's Fastest Liftoff!! (Macross 7 Preview)

1 Speaker Pod

2 Spiritia Level

3 Fire Scramble

4 Vampire Soldier

5 Spirit Gal

6 First Contact

7 Summer Accident

8 Virgin Bomber

9 Angel Night

10 Deep Ballad

11 Minmay Video

12 Spiritia Farm

13 Fold Out

14 Fighting Woman Mayor Milia

15 Virgin Jealousy

16 Battlefront Music Box

17 Pretty Devil

18 Fallen Little Devil

19 Life-Perilous Date

20 Ladies' Temptation

21 Dangerous Kiss

22 Men of Burning Fire

23 Sound Force

24 Merry-Go-Round

25 Late-Night Duet

26 Death on Planet Rax

27 Seven-Color Song Energy

28 New Sound Weapon

29 Papa, Mama Love Again

30 Triangle Relationship Formula

31 Passionate Love Scandal

32 Jammingbirds

33 Backstabbing and a Girl's Tears

34 The Day Gigile Sang

35 A Night for Only Two

36 Men of Passionate Song

37 Mystery of the Space Ruins?

38 Forbidden Planet's Sivil

39 Returning Basara

40 Thoughts That Transcends the Stars

41 I Love Mylene!

42 Desperate Capture Operation

43 Separated From Others

44 Nightmarish Invasion

45 Ambitious Fourth Planet

46 Gamlin's Rebellion

47 Basara Dies

48 Milene's Tears

49 Singing Voice Echoing Through the Galaxy

If you like them then try out;

Macross 7 the Movie: The Galaxy's Calling Me!

Theatrical Release

30 minutes

If you like that then try out;

Macross Dynamite 7

Director: Tetsuroh Amino

Creator/Story Concept/Mecha Design: Shoji Kawamori

Original Character Design: Haruhiko Mikimoto

4 volumes, 30 minutes each

Video Tape

Color, stereo Hi-Fi

Bandai Visual

Vol. 1 Wonder BES-1757

Vol. 2 Cemetery BES-1758

Vol. 3 Lonesome BES-1759

Vol. 4 [singing Planet of the Galactic Whales] Zola

I think that covers the basics. There are two box sets (I think) but I am not sure what they contain......I think the first one has episodes 1 to 26 or 27 and the second one starts where the first one ends and includes some extra episodes or commercials of some sort. Don't remember :blink: .

Keith can most likely help you, if anyone here knows Macross 7 he does.

I've said it once and i'll say it again:

Watch SDF Macross. Then DYRL Macross. Then M+. Then Macross 2. If you got past the M2 hump, and you still like the series, then you have a *50/50* chance of liking Macross 7.

I think general opinion would aggree with me.

FX versiosn are the way to go, you get comprehensively everything Macross 7, with all the extra's, and the highest audio/visual quality, though there is no HK set with perfect subs out.

I've said it once and i'll say it again:

Watch SDF Macross. Then DYRL Macross. Then M+. Then Macross 2. If you got past the M2 hump, and you still like the series, then you have a *50/50* chance of liking Macross 7.

I think general opinion would aggree with me.

Oh hell no, 7 should definately be watched before II.

FX versiosn are the way to go, you get comprehensively everything Macross 7, with all the extra's, and the highest audio/visual quality, though there is no HK set with perfect subs out.

Yeah, the FX set is nice....

Except for the few episodes where they refer to Planet Dance repeatedly as PARRY STANCE

:lol:

M7 first, then Galaxy (which I thought was kinda weak, but nicer production values) and then D7. I think I like D7 the most, but if you don't watch M7 before that, you'll be just WTF? Chronological is the way to go.