Macross 7

I've said it once and i'll say it again:

Watch SDF Macross.  Then DYRL Macross.  Then M+. Then Macross 2.  If you got past the M2 hump, and you still like the series, then you have a *50/50* chance of liking Macross 7.

I think general opinion would aggree with me.

Oh hell no, 7 should definately be watched before II.

No, exactly my point.

If you can tolerate Macross II, you have a strong chance of tolerating Macross 7

i have to admit i'm intrested to see M7 just because of all the valks and weirdness.

ever since i saw those pics of the vf-1's with the wacky circus paintjobs, i've been intrested in seeing what else weird happens in this show.

how many discs is it? (or tapes, is it even on dvd?)

i have to admit i'm intrested to see M7 just because of all the valks and weirdness.

ever since i saw those pics of the vf-1's with the wacky circus paintjobs, i've been intrested in seeing what else weird happens in this show.

The irony is, that episode with the farked paint jobs is actually the one that pays most homage and stays most true to the original Macross series. :blink:

Milia back in her 1J... SDF-era old timers taking a Monster out for a spin... actually made me wish the rest of Mac 7 was more like that episode.

-Al

The irony is, that episode with the farked paint jobs is actually the one that pays most homage and stays most true to the original Macross series. :blink:

Milia back in her 1J... SDF-era old timers taking a Monster out for a spin... actually made me wish the rest of Mac 7 was more like that episode.

-Al

In story theme & style, most of Macross 7 "was" like that, be it not always using the 3 old timers, but overall that was not dramatically different from any other episode.

I gotta agree with Keith on this one. That episode was pretty standard M7 fare, it just had more than the usual amount of SDF "fan service" than the normal episode.

So which would you recommend, Dynamite 7, the series, etc? Where should I start? I am also considering consistency/quality in animation when purchasing. Should I start in chronological order?

In my humble opinion, yes. Start in chronological order (helps with the story). The TV series is as follows.

49 episodes, 25 minutes each + 26-minute special program

Special Program Macross's Fastest Liftoff!! (Macross 7 Preview)

1 Speaker Pod

2 Spiritia Level

3 Fire Scramble

4 Vampire Soldier

5 Spirit Gal

6 First Contact

7 Summer Accident

8 Virgin Bomber

9 Angel Night

10 Deep Ballad

11 Minmay Video

12 Spiritia Farm

13 Fold Out

14 Fighting Woman Mayor Milia

15 Virgin Jealousy

16 Battlefront Music Box

17 Pretty Devil

18 Fallen Little Devil

19 Life-Perilous Date

20 Ladies' Temptation

21 Dangerous Kiss

22 Men of Burning Fire

23 Sound Force

24 Merry-Go-Round

25 Late-Night Duet

26 Death on Planet Rax

27 Seven-Color Song Energy

28 New Sound Weapon

29 Papa, Mama Love Again

30 Triangle Relationship Formula

31 Passionate Love Scandal

32 Jammingbirds

33 Backstabbing and a Girl's Tears

34 The Day Gigile Sang

35 A Night for Only Two

36 Men of Passionate Song

37 Mystery of the Space Ruins?

38 Forbidden Planet's Sivil

39 Returning Basara

40 Thoughts That Transcends the Stars

41 I Love Mylene!

42 Desperate Capture Operation

43 Separated From Others

44 Nightmarish Invasion

45 Ambitious Fourth Planet

46 Gamlin's Rebellion

47 Basara Dies

48 Milene's Tears

49 Singing Voice Echoing Through the Galaxy

If you like them then try out;

Macross 7 the Movie: The Galaxy's Calling Me!

Theatrical Release

30 minutes

If you like that then try out;

Macross Dynamite 7

Director: Tetsuroh Amino

Creator/Story Concept/Mecha Design: Shoji Kawamori

Original Character Design: Haruhiko Mikimoto

4 volumes, 30 minutes each

Video Tape

Color, stereo Hi-Fi

Bandai Visual

Vol. 1 Wonder BES-1757

Vol. 2 Cemetery BES-1758

Vol. 3 Lonesome BES-1759

Vol. 4 [singing Planet of the Galactic Whales] Zola

I think that covers the basics. There are two box sets (I think) but I am not sure what they contain......I think the first one has episodes 1 to 26 or 27 and the second one starts where the first one ends and includes some extra episodes or commercials of some sort. Don't remember :blink: .

Keith can most likely help you, if anyone here knows Macross 7 he does.

FLEET OF STRONGEST WOMEN!!!! :ph34r:

I like Basara because he's all about what he does. I like Macross 7, don't ask me why... but it takes the story a step further. Just like Macross Zero. Macross is constantly evolving, but it all ties into the series' roots and what I'm sure many will agree are central themes.

I never really disliked Macross 7... I thought the first 10 eps were kinda slow, but it really picked up and kept me interested until the end... I mean... when City 7 folds... oh wait... I'd better not spoil it. ;)

I mean... when City 7 folds... oh wait... I'd better not spoil it. ;)

It's right around that time that we first see a transformation sequence that, to me anyways, never gets old, and some of the best battle animation in the series.

"I will let them see my Genius battle strategy."

B))

It's right around that time that we first see a transformation sequence that, to me anyways, never gets old, and some of the best battle animation in the series.

B))

Heh... I like the end of that story arc. I was on the edge of my seat!!!

Especially Diamond Force's involvement. :)

Those that refuse to watch M7 are really missing out. Take a cue from Graham. Its totally worth watching. People are doing themselves a disservice by missing out on this sweet show. Sure, it IS cheesy at times... oh and Planet Dance gets annoying... but after you've had your fill of PD, just mute it... I mean.. that's what makes subs so great right? I mean, hell many of Basara's songs are way more rockin than anything Minmay ever put out(I mean, I like em... but they're lounge singer/ bubblegum type songs and its way harder to rock out to those anime styles!). ;)

B))

Heh... I like the end of that story arc. I was on the edge of my seat!!!

Especially Diamond Force's involvement. :)

Oh man, now I may just have to break out the DVDs... :)

• 2 weeks later...

well i just finished the show(ie episodes 1 to 49) and it is not that bad. Sometimes when your expectations are very low, you are pleasantly surprised. Heavy accent on the songs(which weren't bad either) and too much Basara. I wish they developed Viffidas more. I liked Gamlin the best. Now I will watch the OVA and movies but I would give the series a 8.5/10 because it did hold the Macross spirit.

If you are hardcore Macross you might hate it but I am not.

cheers

FX versiosn are the way to go, you get comprehensively everything Macross 7, with all the extra's, and the highest audio/visual quality, though there is no HK set with perfect subs out.

Later episodes in the FX set seem to use some fan subs because the translation is better....plus I think they are exactly the same as the fansubs I have. Can't be sure as I'm too lazy to bust out my VHS tapes. <_<

I just watched Macross 7 for the first time, just one episode and I like it already! :lol:

Maybe I should go after that FX bundle... What is the regular price of these sets?

Never mind the last question, already ordered at Kevin's VEX. :):p

Edited by Wabbit

I seem to have gotten my girlfriend's cousin hooked on Macross 7 now, too. He loves it. I was even more surprised to hear that he wanted to keep the DVDs longer because his sister has started watching it now.

I just buy the macross 7 dvd, and i seen the 5 first épisode.

I love it.

If the entire series is so cool, it will become 2th in my macross top

(1/ macross 2/macross 7 3/ macross 2 4/ macross zero 5/ macross plus )

I don't know if i am strange but i dont like macross +. It is very different that the other macross.

I love it.

I don't know if i am strange but i dont like macross +. It is very different that the other macross.

It's obvious that Macross Plus is for those people that don't care much about a message or character development. It is simple straight up flying and fighting with top animators in a larger budget flick.

Macross 7 has a much deeper message and requires people who have more patience and good understanding of the 1st Macross to appreciate it.

I love it.

(1/ macross 2/macross 7 3/ macross 2  4/ macross zero  5/ macross plus )

It's obvious that Macross Plus is for those people that don't care much about a message or character development. It is simple straight up flying and fighting with top animators in a larger budget flick.

Macross 7 has a much deeper message and requires people who have more patience and good understanding of the 1st Macross to appreciate it.

On the surface, Plus is that yes, but underneath, it's actually a lot like 7.

I love it.

Personally, I loved Macross 7 from the very first episode. I suppose, like Gamilin, some people just don't understand until later what Basara was thinking.

I've seen a lot of people use the reason you don't like Macross Plus as the reason they don't like Macross 7. It's different. They both are.

Macross and Macross 2 are war stories with love tension elements, plain and simple. They are good stories with good character development, but they still follow the basic war story formula.

Macross Plus and Macross 7 are both issue based. Macross Plus deals with the issue: Should we replace real entertainers with computer imaging? How far should we take it?

Macross 7, in my opinion the deepest story line in the Macross series, deals with the issue: peace through better communication.

In the real world, not just in the Macross world, it is a well establish fact that music is the ultimate form of communication. That's why teachers use songs to help kids memorize; world leaders use battle marches, political anthems, and so forth to pursuade the people.

Basara wanted to communicate peace, not just to the protodevilin but to the UN Spacey as well... and he did it where they couldn't help but hear him... right in the middle of the battle... even if it did mean risking his life to do it.

Of course, anime being what it is, there is still the usual love triangle... but in the case of Macross 7, even that's different. This time, it's all in Mylene's head. Gamilin loves her. Basara thinks of her like a kid sister... and is totally oblivious to the fact that she loves both of them. Instead of the usual "who gets the girl?" story, we get to watch Gamilin patiently wait for to her grow up and beyond her crush on Basara.

I haven't seen Macross Zero yet, but of the four Macross stories I've seen, Macross 7 is definitely my favorite.

peace

It's obvious that Macross Plus is for those people that don't care much about a message or character development.  It is simple straight up flying and fighting with top animators in a larger budget flick.

I might prefer Macross 7, but I wouldn't sell Macross Plus that short.

Sure it is more appealing in a purely visual/action sense, but at the same time it's not shallow.. it's just different, with a different aim and a smaller scope since it's a sidestory.

.... Macross 7 is definitely my favorite.

peace

So ya like the teletubbies?

Don't know... I've never really seen teletubbies and I refuse to judge something sight unseen.

peace

It's obvious that Macross Plus is for those people that don't care much about a message or character development.  It is simple straight up flying and fighting with top animators in a larger budget flick.

I might prefer Macross 7, but I wouldn't sell Macross Plus that short.

Sure it is more appealing in a purely visual/action sense, but at the same time it's not shallow.. it's just different, with a different aim and a smaller scope since it's a sidestory.

If you outline Macross Plus, the story is almost accidental. It is about the 2 fighters the YF-19 + YF-21 battling to win the contract. Then the distraction is Sharon Apple who happens to be some AI program and has the ability to hypnotize others.

The deeper message in Macross Plus is hardly close to what was trying to be said in Macross 7.

If you interpret Macross 7's message the same level as Plus, then you haven't really get it yet about M7.

In the end of Plus, guy saves girl and bad guy destroyed and rival doesn't get the girl... as simple as that... simple..

Um, I gotta agree with Panon on this one. Sure, the message isn't as deep as that in 7, and there isn't as much character development, for a short OVA Macross Plus deliveres story and character developement very well. The story between Guld, Isamu, and Myung is not the simple love triangle and rivalry relationship we've come to expect from anime, it tells a far deeper tale than that.

I love Macross 7, but one could easily play down the amount of character development and story in that saying simply aliens attack and a hippy in a glamrock Valk ends the war with music, simple as that.

There's no need to take sides at one extreme or the other. Sure, 7 outdoes most anime in the character developement department, but it doesn't do nearly so well on other levels.

Sure Plus doesn't have the level of character developement that a 49 episode TV series could pull off, but what developement it has it pulls off very well, and stacks up admirably against other OVAs and movies of similar length.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, 7 & Plus are essentially the same. Basara sings, Isamu shoots, both have a very similar personality (though Isamu is far more letcherous). Both have the same basic message about the power of music (Myung even uses song to awaken Isamu from Sharon's hypnosis), and the strength of emotions Vs artificial stimuli.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, 7 & Plus are essentially the same.

Yeah, so are the Mets and the Yankees. They both play baseball, and they both play in NYC. And then you looked at the standings...

Sure Plus doesn't have the level of character developement that a 49 episode TV series could pull off, but what developement it has it pulls off very well, and stacks up admirably against other OVAs and movies of similar length.

The way I look it at is they're different series with different stories and goals. Both do what they intend to do well. They're not closely comparable because they're not competing with each other.

Macross 7 is "gay".

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...ndpost&p=170019

Shut up.

I have seen 30 episode now.

And there is a strange thing in episode 28.

Giant Monster in macross ?????? :blink:

I hate this idea.

I know, it really takes away from the realism of giant transfomring robots in outer space fighting aliens.

Not sure about others here, but I can say now after having watched Macross 7 again, I think I know why it left a bad taste in my mouth (so to speak) the first time.

I had just finished watching Macross Plus, which had blown me away, and was expecting the same level of animation out of Macross 7. Had I watched them in the reverse I would not have had the bias I had against M7.

Mind you, this is just me, but Macross 7 on the surface was just so different from Macross Plus, that I did not give it a chance and passed it off as "gay".

I have since changed my mind after watching it again (damn its long).

It, IMHO, is a part of the Macross saga in my mind and worthy of that title.

I no longer have any problem with it and I do recommend it to any Macross fan.

Although I do have one minor nit pic, I wish they had made the monsters more scary, kinda like the mecha from Neon Genesis Evangelon. But hey, that's just me.