Macross 7

They weren't monsters to begin with, nor were their designs intended to invoke fear. They're just suped up Zentradi with the combined powers of Protoculture ship technology, and extra-dimensional energy being energy sucking & possession. Besides, 7 was before evangleion :)

Edited by Keith

They weren't monsters to begin with, nor were their designs intended to invoke fear.

But... they look so stupid.

And yeah, the VF-1 etc. wasn't supposed to look cool. Well, it bloody does.

Taken from Egan Loo's Macross Compendium;

PC 2865

Development on powerful biological weapons based on the Zentradi, "Evil Series," begins. [Note: "Evil" pronounced as "Eh-vil."] Evil is the abbreviation of the Protoculture term for "advanced (Zentradi) all-enivron biological weapon." Trial production takes place on a scientifically advanced planet (the first planet of the star system later known as Varauta), but because of unresolvable problems with the weapons' power exceeding the fighting capability requirements, trial production is halted.

PC 2871

On the [aforementioned] scientifically advanced planet, trial production of the "Evil Series" for final tests is begun. Seven Evil Series weapons of seven types including a highly mobile, humanoid "Sivil" for search-and-destroy functions and a super-scale, high-powered "Glavil" for fleet warfare are completed. The Evil Series tests are begun, but at the same time biological super dimension organs overload and extradimensional energy is released. The Evil Series' bodies are occupied by the spiritual energy life form from the sub-universe and thus creating, from the massive fighting capability of the Evil Series and the enormous potential of the spiritial energy, beings with extraordinary fighting ability and a coveting for life energy, "Spiritia." They covet Spiritia in order to continue existing as extra-dimensional beings in this universe. They begin invading the surrounding planets and systems using spaceships and weapons of people from the scientifically advanced planet that they brainwashed. (They later become known as the Supervision Army).

Three months later, the internal conflicts of the Protoculture Stellar Republic are halted as efforts are devoted against the extradimensional energy beings occupying the Evil Series, dubbed "Protodeviln." However, over 30% of the Stellar Republic and several hundred systems are under Protodeviln control and the Spiritia-deprived people number several hundred billion. The Zentradi faction fight but, due to the prime directive "Do not interfere with Protoculture," are unable to fight effectively against the brainwashed Protoculture people under the control of the Protodeviln.

PC 2872

Nine months after the emergence of Protodeviln, over 85% of life in the Protoculture is lost. Direct combat between the Protodeviln with their [army of] manipulated Protoculture people (Supervision Army) and the Zentradi.

Approximately one year after the emergence of Protodeviln, their power begins to rapidly decline.

"Protodeviln sealing operation." People (known as Anima Spiritia) who are significant in the war against the Protodeviln are determined to have influential powers over the Protodeviln. Protodeviln faction are completely sealed in special chambers through the efforts of Anima Spiritia.

Oh man, I can't believe it took me this long to figure this out. :o

*hangs head in shame*

So the Protodevilns are the essentially the Evil Zentraedi.

Well that explains why the Protodevilns are not "monster" looking. Makes more sense now.

Thanks Keith. :D

They weren't monsters to begin with, nor were their designs intended to invoke fear.

Well the last two monsters that looked like twins really were FUGLY and annoying! <_< I WANTED TO SHOOT HE REACTIVE WARHEADS AT THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN! Seriously tho if the kept up the volleys of warheads going, they coulda killed them. :angry: Well M7 still rocked regardless of the ODD looking Proto-devlyn. Can't wait till I get M7 DVDs back from my friend! IM trying to convert him to a Macross fan! And yah the VF-1 looks freakin great! Dam its so sexy sometimes! :D

Well the last two monsters that looked like twins really were FUGLY and annoying! <_< I WANTED TO SHOOT HE REACTIVE WARHEADS AT THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN! Seriously tho if the kept up the volleys of warheads going, they coulda killed them. :angry: Well M7 still rocked regardless of the ODD looking Proto-devlyn. Can't wait till I get M7 DVDs back from my friend! IM trying to convert him to a Macross fan! And yah the VF-1 looks freakin great! Dam its so sexy sometimes! :D

Male Protodevlin....HO! HO! HO!

Female Protodevlin...HOO! HOO! HOO!

<_< Why Kawamori? <_< WHY? :(

That was one of the times during Macross 7 that I actually found myself shouting at my TV.

All in all, I stand corrected on Macross 7. It is actually a very enjoyable series, but IMHO, mainly because you get to see alot more of Max, Millia, Exsedol, and of course, you get to see Mylene getting in Basara's face non stop.

But those last two annoying as hell protodevlin nearly threw me over the edge.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Yes, "Why Kawamori" indeed! Good to know I'm not the only person that was screaming at my set waiting for their scene to go by (too lazy to fast foward or lost control to DVD player). The only other time I was like "WTH! WTF!" was when Gamlin "Kamakazied" his VF-17 into that Proto-devlyn fighter taht Gavlin (or wutever his name is) was in. Man I was so pissed when that happened but in next episode so happy Gamlin came back! I think I woulda broken my DVDs or sold them if he had really died!

That was one of the times during Macross 7 that I actually found myself shouting at my TV.

All in all, I stand corrected on Macross 7. It is actually a very enjoyable series, but IMHO, mainly because you get to see alot more of Max, Millia, Exsedol, and of course, you get to see Mylene getting in Basara's face non stop.

Heehee!!

I'd forgotten all about those two. Zomd and Goram, yeah? Yeah, I don't remember which is which, but anyway, wanna know something funny?

The voice actor for the male one is none other than Arihiro "Hikaru Ichijo" Hase!!

Even in the casting the producers seem to be taking the mickey.... <_<

Yes, "Why Kawamori" indeed! Good to know I'm not the only person that was screaming at my set waiting for their scene to go by (too lazy to fast foward or lost control to DVD player). The only other time I was like "WTH! WTF!" was when Gamlin "Kamakazied" his VF-17 into that Proto-devlyn fighter taht Gavlin (or wutever his name is) was in. Man I was so pissed when that happened but in next episode so happy Gamlin came back! I think I woulda broken my DVDs or sold them if he had really died!

I find it interesting that a lot of non-Japanese Macross 7 viewers prefers Gamlin while in Japan, people like Basara. I had an old issue of Newtype Magazine and Basara was listed as #12 in the list of favorite anime characters at the time behind #1 Heero Yui, Gamlin is nowhere to be seen..

So you think that deep deep in the vast universe exists only creatures like us and nothing unusual out there?

Well Aliens vs Predator is coming out in the movies and people seemed to like the idea of seeing monsters more powerful genetically and technologically than humans...

I can see Kawamori running out of ideas of making another zentraedi ancestor race but that's too much a ripoff of Robotech's Robotech Masters plot.

I find it interesting that a lot of non-Japanese Macross 7 viewers prefers Gamlin while in Japan, people like Basara. I had an old issue of Newtype Magazine and Basara was listed as #12 in the list of favorite anime characters at the time behind #1 Heero Yui, Gamlin is nowhere to be seen..

A friend of mine was getting Newtype on a regular basis for a while and he would let me read it. During that time, for several weeks, both Basara and Mylene were regularly in the top 10, with Basara actually making it to #1 for a few weeks.

As popular as the main characters were in Japan, I'm really surprised no company has tried to release it here in the USA. Then again, after hearing what they did with "English Fire!" I'm kind of glad they haven't. I'd really hate to see Macross 7 as a screwed up dub. They should only dub it if they are going to take the time to do it right!

peace

I received my FX sets a pair of days ago and already saw the first 2 discs: I really like it so far. Thanks to the forumers in there, I was warned that the beginning of the show is 'weird' but once the first instant of surprise is passed, it doesn't require real efforts to get in IMO :)

I think the combination of music and Spiritia thing is really an interesting concept which fits well the Macross formula: I can't wait to see how this will be developped. Characters are all loveable IMO, with their strong and weak points but they all have their own personality though some of them look a bit 'cliche' (such as Gamlin who's slightly too much Top Gun-like, or Ray who's the usual 'I-did-war-and-was-traumatized-by-what-I-saw' character, etc,...), my favorites so far are Basara, Mylene and Viffida, as well as Gubaba btw. The 'bad' guys are pretty cool too, especially the leader. I'm not very fond of the mechanical designs so far, except the VF-17 and the VF-11, this is why I was pleasantly surprised to see Mirya coming back into the action with her red VF-1...

More impressions coming 'soon' :p

Btw, I've a question for the local experts. In the episode where there is this 'Lin Minmei Story' movie thing (I belive it's episode11), Max and Mirya are discussing and he says this:

This is not confirmed yet, but we found a machine belonging to the enemies. It's the same machine used by the investigating team on the 4th planet in the Varauta 3198XE system

Is this 'Investigating team' supposed to be a bad translation for 'Supervision Army'? :huh:

Btw, I've a question for the local experts. In the episode where there is this 'Lin Minmei Story' movie thing (I belive it's episode11), Max and Mirya are discussing and he says this:
This is not confirmed yet, but we found a machine belonging to the enemies. It's the same machine used by the investigating team on the 4th planet in the Varauta 3198XE system

Is this 'Investigating team' supposed to be a bad translation for 'Supervision Army'? :huh:

The FX set is a poorly translated, as expected from bootlegs.

The line is more like: "We haven't confirmed anything yet, but we do know that the enemy's machines seem to be of the type sent on an investigative mission to the 4th planet in the Varauta 3198XE system."

The line is more like: "We haven't confirmed anything yet, but we do know that the enemy's machines seem to be of the type sent on an investigative mission to the 4th planet in the Varauta 3198XE system."

Too late! I recieved my FX sets last week and am now annoyed every time I see typos and worse, lines like:

Milia's VF-1J gets blown up when Gamlin pilots it:

"My precious robot."

Milia doesn't say that... You say that to a broken robovacuum cleaner :angry: She'll say in the line this:

"Haaa..! My beloved Valkyrie!

I understood "Valkyrie".

Oh well, at least my sense of logic can correct those translations in my mind so I can understand anyway, though I don't speak Japanese.

Btw: are there versions that have good English subs?

Edited by Wabbit

Nope. At least not anymore, a friend has a set with much more accurate subtitles but it doesn't seem to be common anymore.

Best suggestion would be to compare against more accurate scripts of the show that can be found here: http://www.chaoticempire.org/macross/eps/

Either that or download the fansubs available online.

Nope. At least not anymore, a friend has a set with much more accurate subtitles but it doesn't seem to be common anymore.

Best suggestion would be to compare against more accurate scripts of the show that can be found here: http://www.chaoticempire.org/macross/eps/

Either that or download the fansubs available online.

Hmmm right. Thanks for this info, maybe I should rip my dvd's and burn new ones added with fansubs. ;)

Not all subs are horrible, the last episode of disk 2 has adequate translations and is more logical.

While a share of the episodes do have weak subtitles, all of the important ones use fansub scripts (which is odd in itself). Why they didn't use those scripts for all of the episodes is anyones guess.

i picked up the M7 movie and didn't even finish it

to me it was just so outrageous that a valk would be piloted with a musical insturment with a music boom box singing showdown amongst enemies???

what the heck???

i just couldn't bear it after the singing showdown b|w the fire valk pilot and the giant female zen i just dozed off.

i like and have the toys though and i just keep trying to erease that picture of the fire valks shoulders actually being speaker boxes i keep saying to myself it houses missle pods not speakers.

guitar pilot stick????

speaker boom box shoulder???

The movie just kind of throws you in there and if you haven't seen the series it seems to be completely out of left field. I'm not saying you'd still like the series, but I do like the series, but I'm not big on the movie. I do like parts of it though.

to me it was just so outrageous that a valk would be piloted with a musical insturment with a music boom box singing showdown amongst enemies???

what the heck???

i just couldn't bear it after the singing showdown b|w the fire valk pilot and the giant female zen i just dozed off.

i like and have the toys though and i just keep trying to erease that picture of the fire valks shoulders actually being speaker boxes i keep saying to myself it houses missle pods not speakers.

guitar pilot stick????

You will listen to Basara's song!

what the heck???

i like and have  the toys though and i just keep trying to erease that picture of the fire valks shoulders actually being speaker boxes  i keep saying to myself it houses missle pods not speakers.

guitar pilot stick????

You will listen to Basara's song!

Let's go!

HEY EVERYBODY

Kokoro-no-ma mani

Sakebu-oze

JUMPIN' ON THE PLANET DANCE <Yeah yeah yeah>

Edited by Wabbit

UN Spacy VF-14s as shown in 'Spititia Dreaming'.

Graham

I am watching the episode where Gamlin is possessed by Gabil and man, I HATE that furred butt of a protodevlin. Even more annoying than Basara, more annoying than Gigil in the first episodes.

Beauty of DEATH!!! DIE GAYBIL!!! :angry:

Oh, and he is a pussy, retreating like that every time and a weak pilot, getting blast almost every time by the far superior HUMAN Gamlin!

Edited by Wabbit

OMG! They have Huey & Dewey as Protodevlins in Episode 47! :lol:

If it takes a series 12 episodes to get "good", there's something wrong. I just didn't care for it...the animation wasn't that great and most of the character designs and costumes looked rather goofy. Any of those could be forgivable if the character they chose to focus on wasn't so damn annoying. It seemed targeted at a young audience and felt more like Voltron than Macross.

I finished to watch the main show yesterday (remain Encore and Dynamite as well as Galaxy...) and it's great: indeed M7 is the true sequel to Macross IMO, pushing the original concept to its extreme while filling the holes into the History of the Protoculture in the same time

I tend to agree with Gabriel about the length of the overall show though: some episodes look a bit 'useless' such as the one where Guravil has these sort of earplugs, or when Mylene encounter her fan Billy, or when Gamlin is possesed by Gabil... They don't really add to the atmosphere or the main story IMO

Despite this and some other (very) minor details, I think it's great: it made me reconsider my impressions about SDF, this is why I recommend it to every Macross fan. For me, it is now an indispensable complement :)

Oh, and Gubaba rulezzz! :p

I have finished watching the main show too and well, why did those protodevlins took 49 episodes to discover karaoke?!?

Just go shopping at a music store and buy some songs and a media-player and begone with it, so-called 'superior' beings of mass destruction! :p

Gamlin is right to get jealous about Basara, the pacifistic selfish anti-hero who treat Mylene like a spoiled little brat, but she loves him anyway.

The last 2 tv-episodes from the FX-set had horrible subs, Gamlin was translated as Gumlin, Kamlun, Gamlan etc... Maybe a 'funny' practical joke once, but very unprofessional in the least. I really suspect the English subs were translated from Chinese subs.

I initially didn't think the first 5-12 episodes or so didn't do an ideal job of bringing a new viewer into the story, and I still think that's probably the case with most people. However, after seeing much of the series and becoming familier with everything, I love going back and watching every single episode of the series, with new appreciation for those initial episodes.

I'd also like to see more Mac7 based stuff. I think Macross 7 as it is was just long enough, but I'd like to see more with those characters and themes.

Yep, some of the character developments/complements and 'side-stories' presented in Encore, Dynamite and Galaxy are cool: more stuff like that could be welcome, it considerably helps to develop the Macross universe IMO :)

Edited by Gui