Macross 7

Hey All.

Well i just finished watching the entire Macross 7. Well id like to admit that i couldnt imagine how in earth i would enjoy this series. But as a macross fan i am, i bought the entire series and i had to atleast watch it once. So i did...

...well as it turns out, it was hard for me to really get into it. But as the series progress i must say...it isnt that bad. I mean Macross 7 isnt my favorit, but its not as BAD as i thought it would be. Im glad to know that even the charecters in the series also thinks that Basara´s singing is also a bit of. And as someone in here once said about M7...there are other aspects which are being told in M7, besides the "singing" which one can easely overlook.

In short, i think M7 isnt as bad as i expected it would be. Am i the only one who thinks this about Macross 7?

-Jin

No you're not the only one but some of those elements just really turned people off.

To me I can see why people don't like Basara. In the first few episodes they had him get on the nerves of the other character who then started to hate him. The creators of Macross 7 did a good job at that, a little too good. There a little rule of that you don't have characters in a movie mention how bored they are because that character's feeling might rub off on the audience at some level. The other character's early dislike of Basara might of rubbed off on the audience.

Oh By The Way.

Hijacking the topic this message.

A Little Mod Warning

I'm sick and tired of Macross 7 topics turning into a mess. I won't name names but you know who you are and so does everybody else. If anyone post an immature insult about it or flame bait it I'll take their posting rights away for the day.

:ph34r:

I too, was a rabid hater of Macross 7 until a fellow member loaned me the series on DVD.

I will admit that the first 12 episodes were crap, but after that, it got much better. All in all, I still really never cared for Basara, but the series was worth it if for no other reason than you get to see ALOT more of Max and Millia. The character development they did on those two was really good.

Also, I loved Mylene. NOT LIKE MOST FANBOYS, but Mylene is probably my favorite character from Macross 7, with Gamlin being a close second. Why?, well, as I said before, I never really cared for Basara, and Mylene was always in his face which was entertaining.

IMHO, the main problem with Macross 7 was that it REALLY should have been a 12 episode OVA. They drug that series out way too long, and you knew pretty much what was going to happen all along.

But, for the most part, I stand converted. I actually liked Macross 7. And the extra episodes at the end of the series, and movie were probably some of the best ever. Fleet of Strongest Women is my absolute favorite.

Dynamite 7? - Meh, great animation, and if you like to take Kawamori, fold in a lot of Melville, and a little bit of Frank Herbert, it's OK. WIERD, but OK.

I enjoyed the series......I am sure that if I had a correct and good subbing of the series, I would enjoy it a whole lot more. I think a lot of the episodes were really good with good action and character development. I also think the mecha action was quite good....look at the high points.

1. The VF-19..I love the ATF planes, although i dont really enjoy the stubby wing effect.

2. The VF-22S Sturmvogel II...This plane is the bomb, especially piloted by Max Jenius.

3. The VF-11C Full Armor...nuff said.

4. As was mentioned before...the extra stuff that you did not see with anything else Macross. I hope that maybe the next Macross series will have all the extra goodies that Macross 7 had.

I also think that this series really helped me to understand the Protoculture a lot better.

I do though have some questions of my own....why would Max and Millia leave all their children save Mylene behind? That is something the bothered me the most about it....but I suppose that would be too many characters. I think that the VF-11 is an awesome valk....why did they have to turn it into the Ford Pinto of the Macross universe?

Twich

Hey Everyone

Thanks for the replies. I think the way a macross fan should watch it, is simply to watch it as an independant Macross anime and try not to mix to many expectations of other previos Macross series and OVA.

One of the main reasons why i liked Macross 7 was because Gamlin hated Basara as much as i do, specially during combat situations and all of Basara´s "listen to my voice" blabber he always says. Besides ignoring Fire Bomber "sound force" and the speacker booster packs (which kinda reminds me of Macron One) The rest of the story was pretty good. In my opinion it had alot of the Macross SDF-1 feeling to it, not the same...but in a different way. I think there was alot of other stuff in M7 that made me like it such as Diamon Force´s faith, Gamlin and Mylene´s romance, Miria´s Veritech...etc. I think it was good.

Macross 7 is still not my fav, but as a whole i like it. Weird thing was....after the first 12 episodes, i really hated/anoyed at Basara´s song. Funny...i think after the 12th episodes, i found myself singing Basara´s song when i was doing my daily stuff at home :p

-Jin

I know how you all feel about Macross 7's music getting stuck in your head! If I remember correctly, it felt like I was gonna open-up a can of whoop-Valk on my DVD player after I heard "Planet Dance" for like, the tenth time in three episodes.

But make no mistake, I love Macross 7!

[continued from previous:]

"...Beato wo kanjiru kai!"

:angry:

Hijacking the topic this message.

A Little Mod Warning

I'm sick and tired of Macross 7 topics turning into a mess. I won't name names but you know who you are and so does everybody else. If anyone post an immature insult about it or flame bait it I'll take their posting rights away for the day.

BAD IS GOOD, BABY, DOWN WITH GOVERNMENT! :lol:

I'll have to admit that I even prefer Macross 7 to original SDF TV. Ya see although I got into original Macross through the model kits way back 1982 or 83, I didn't actually see any original Macross TV series until about 1986 or 87. And then I was sorta watching it in fits and starts whenever I was able to track down any episodes on rental LD.

However, with Macross 7, I got to watch it continuously as it was airing on TV back in 1994 on VHS tapes I was sent from Japan. So I sorta feel a deeper connection with 7 than SDF-TV cus I was watching it almost as it was airing with only a short delay.

I gotta disagree that the first 12 episodes are boring.

Personally, I think that episode # 1 'Speaker Pod' is a very strong introductory episode.

Episode # 7 'Summer Accident' is one of my all time favorite episodes. I mean not only do we get to see Mylene in a bikini, but Gamlin kicks some serious Varauta ass in a VF-11C, proving that it's the man not the machine that matters.

Episode # 6 'First Contact' is another of my favorites with Gamlin and Basara's defence of the escape pods being a very moving scene.

Episode # 11 'Minmay Video' is also a fun episode.

I love the characters in Macross 7, especially Gamlin, Mylene, Max & Milia. Personally I thought it was great that the creators were brave enough to tackle the subject of seperation with Max & Milia and this really added a more serious element to the series.

The Valks with human faces, piloted by musicians controlled by over-size joysticks shaped like guitars never bothered me much. I mean they are civilian valks that are supposed to look different to military valks and be easily recognizable 'morale boosters' for the civilian populace.

I think most of the mecha designs in Macross 7 are great, especially the VF-17D/S, VF-22S, VF-11C, VF-11C Full Armored, VF-19F/S & Fz-109.

I also love Fire Bomber's music, which helps :p and I have all the CDs.

Graham

Wasurekaketeru energy...

Now hurry up!

Tori modosouze!

I have to agree with the majority about the first twelve episodes. My interet didn't really peak until Millia got into her old Valkryie and starting lecturing Basara on how to fly.

I quite enjoyed it, but as someone has already said it would probably have been better as a shorter series - 50 odd episodes :blink: especially considering how many times they must have reused some of the footage

I could have probably sung planet dance in my sleep by the end of the series (i watched it over the space of a week whilst house sitting), i really started to dislike it but couldn't skip it.

Some of the characters were good, others were very so so, but it was nice to see some of the character development from Max and Millia, and others.

not to mention the way that it seemed that old mechs were owned in much the same way we own 4x4's and old pickups :)

I thought it was rather amusing the first episode to see Basara going into the middle of the battle singing Totsugeki Love Heart, considering I really didn't knew what Macross 7 was about...

The serie gets very repeatitive until the Macross 7 fleet and City 7 gets separated I think that is when it starts getting interesting.

Love Macross right from the start, all the way through to the end. Awesome series. For those who complain about the first 12 or so episodes, remember that they're necessary for setup, a luxury that a long TV series has over a short OVA (as it wouldn't have even remotely worked in an OVA format).

To me I can see why people don't like Basara.  In the first few episodes they had him get on the nerves of the other character who then started to hate him.  The creators of Macross 7 did a good job at that, a little too good.  There a little rule of that you don't have characters in a movie mention how bored they are because that character's feeling might rub off on the audience at some level.  The other character's early dislike of Basara might of rubbed off on the audience.

and

Love Macross right from the start, all the way through to the end. Awesome series. For those who complain about the first 12 or so episodes, remember that they're necessary for setup, a luxury that a long TV series has over a short OVA (as it wouldn't have even remotely worked in an OVA format).

I think that's probably what does the series in for most of the people that hate it. Depending on your thoughts going in, it can be very easy to empathise with Mylene, Gamlin, and pretty much the entire populace of City 7 and the U.N. Spacey's view of Basara very early on. And with him as the focal point of the series that can easily drive away those who decide not to like the character.

The slow change in peoples' attitudes that we see throughout the show simply would not come off as believable in a shorter timeframe. I find it amusing how perfectly this mirrors Macross fans' reactions to the show and Basara. I've known people to initially hate Macross 7 and Basara, but then they manage to sit down and watch the rest of the series, and by the end love it, and Basara.

I disagree with Keith in my own belief that the introductory episodes could have been written in such a way as to lure in more of the SDF Macross and Macross Plus crowd, yet kept the overall theme and developement that culminates at the end.

However, I've noticed myself that while I thought the earlier episodes were weaker on my initial viewings, since seeing the whole series start to finish I find myself rewatching those early episodes and enjoying them a lot more.

I'd still like to see Mac7 get a DYRL? style movie treatment, just for fun (but I'd still rather see completely new Macross stories).

I think one of the many reasons people find the first episodes to be boring is because most of us are watching it on VHS of DVD, rather on TV. In TV we get a break from episode to episode which helps disperse the boredom and builds anticipation for the next episode.

I'd still like to see Mac7 get a DYRL? style movie treatment, just for fun...

That really would be awesome, especially if they used the even-slightly-higher quality of animation that was displayed in the opening sequence for Dynamite. And though I could easily love Haruhiko Mikimoto's style of drawing Mylene, Basara, and even Veffidas, I gotta wonder what Ray Lovelock would look like coming off of his pen. Hmm...

A Little Mod Warning

So we aren't allowed to tell it how it is huh?

Well I actually have a new found tollerance for M7... Keith and I had some good conversation over PM about it, he didn't get me to like it by any means, I just think I understand the "peace is cool" thing a little better.

Therefore:

I would still like to erase its existence but it doesn't make my blood boil like it used to.

I'd still like to see Mac7 get a DYRL? style movie treatment, just for fun...

That really would be awesome, especially if they used the even-slightly-higher quality of animation that was displayed in the opening sequence for Dynamite. And though I could easily love Haruhiko Mikimoto's style of drawing Mylene, Basara, and even Veffidas, I gotta wonder what Ray Lovelock would look like coming off of his pen. Hmm...

Mikimoto did design all of the Macross 7 characters (correct me if I'm wrong or there's any exceptions), but I know what you mean. Mikimoto's actual illustrations for the characters often look much nicer than their appearance in the show (you see some excellent illustrations of Mylene in the end credits of the show).

I also tend to prefere the characters out of their 'glam rock' costumes and in more realistic attire, but that's simply my personal preference.

I also tend to prefere the characters out of their 'glam rock' costumes and in more realistic attire, but that's simply my personal preference.

You mean Mylene Jenius doesn't walk down City 7's streets with a red one-piece outfit that rides up on her in all the right ways? :D

lol just what we need. another Macross 7 and what were you thoughts thread..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wasn't aware that it was an annoyance of any kind. And who would care enough to get upset if someone else expressed their thoughts/opinions/views on a Macross title?

I have yet to see anything from 7. ....And from what I've heard over the years, I'm not exactly eager to see it. Then again, the majority don't like Macross II all that much and I love it...so who knows.

I have yet to see anything from 7. ....And from what I've heard over the years, I'm not exactly eager to see it. Then again, the majority don't like Macross II all that much and I love it...so who knows.

I've always found it best in life to keep an open mind and form your own opinions on something by actually experiencing it first hand. It's never a good idea to rely too much on or let yourself be influenced too much by other peoples views. Everyone is different and has their own likes and dislikes

Mind you, I've never been one to mindlessly like something just because the Sheeple (AKA the herd) think it's trendy, in, hip (or whatever the current buzz word is).

Graham

Well, Macross 7 has some of the best Mecha/VF designs in it. The VF-11C, heavy armor VF-11, VF-17, VF-19, VF-22, all the Varauta mechs, etc, etc.

It must have left a good impression, I bought all the movie books I could find for it.

Starships were fantastico! (both UN Spacy and Varauta)

Story.......hmmm.......Macross plus it was not. But, "Battle Beyond the Stars" it was not (thank God). Story was OKay, not the best I've seen (Macross Zero rules by comparison). What's the word for it.........Cute, THAT'S IT! Macross 7 was cute, and there is NOTHING WRONG with cute. My wife is cute, my cats are cute. Yah, Macross 7 was cute, and now that I think about it, it was a nice change from SDF Macross, DRYL, and the Macross plus constantly serious storyline.

If I had to rate it as a critic I would give it a 3 out of 5. Unless of course you are talking from an art viewpoint. Then it gets a 5 out of 5 (Kawamori and Mikimoto, what else could I rate it :lol: ).

Well that's my 2 cents.

No, that can't be it. I watched the first 20 some episodes within the course of 3 days (ordered half of it on fansub first along with a couple other items because at the time ordering limit was 6 tapes), then immediately ordered the rest....love that 7. I just hope we get an official release soon as "real" subtitles do a much better job of conveying than HK subs ever will.

No, that can't be it. I watched the first 20 some episodes within the course of 3 days

Lol, I watched the entire series for the first time on a weekend.

There is no such thing as too much Macross.

Well, Macross 7 has some of the best Mecha/VF designs in it.

Along with some of the worst animation to come out of the mid 90's. No excuse for the low production value of the series.

Along with some of the worst animation to come out of the mid 90's. No excuse for the low production value of the series.

Eh... if that were such a big problem then we'd all hate the much crappier animation mistakes and quality in the original SDF Macross TV enough to never watch it, much less restore it.

The animation in M7 never bothered me a bit. I can understand alot of the "I just don't get it/it's not my cup of tea", though. To each their own.

I'm just glad I wasn't too put off by some comments enough to give it a shot. It ended up being a great show that I've watched 3 times now.

Eh... if that were such a big problem then we'd all hate the much crappier animation mistakes and quality in the original SDF Macross TV enough to never watch it, much less restore it.

The animation in M7 never bothered me a bit. I can understand alot of the "I just don't get it/it's not my cup of tea", though. To each their own.

I'm just glad I wasn't too put off by some comments enough to give it a shot. It ended up being a great show that I've watched 3 times now.

I agree with Blaine here, I mean, some small snippets of SDF Macross were gorgeous, but probably the majority of the animation was worse than anything in Macross 7, which was low quality but consistant and at least well drawn for the most part.