Which do you prefer?

Which series did you prefer?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which series did you prefer?

• SDF Macross
    • Macross: DYRL

I am shocked that so many people prefer DYRL. While it does obviously have better animation, technology and music, the orginal SDF is longer, and has more character development. This series is about people, and the technology is simply a tool in the background. How can a 2 hour movie compare with 36 episodes in terms of storyline?

The Macross TV series was good, REAL good.

I just feel that DYRL was even better.

Personally i love Macross for the Mecha, and there was more of it in DYRL.

While the TV series was good, it was also full of emotional crap from Minmay & Hikaru.

Honestly though, i think i love DYRL best because i saw the TV series first.

By watching the TV series first, it made me appreciate the movie even more.

If i saw DYRL first, i might have been more confused at the end. So the TV series actually helped me appreciate the movie that much more.

To enjoy the entire world of Macross, I feel you need to watch both.

However, i find myself popping in DYRL in the DVD player more often then i do the TV series when it is all said and done.

Just my opinion though.........

I love both, but prefere the DYRL? storyline, characters, and visuals.

While the tv series is longer, I think the actual character developement is more realistic, better presented, and just better handled in the movie, at least that between Minmay, Hikaru, and Misa. Of course secondary characters get severely cut in that department, and tertiary characters are right out excite for minor appearances.

I'd hate to choose between one or the other, so I'm thankful I don't have to. I have both on DVD.

SDF Macross for me.

Bigger story, more episodes... plus, it's the original that I saw when I got into Macross. Sure DYRL is visually more gorgeous, but I think you miss alot of the epic proportions of the TV series. Particularly now that the Animeigo set is available, I just fell in love all over again with the show.

Of course, I love both... so there's really no wrong answer.

They're both great but DYRL pulls out ALL the stops. Imagine SDF:M but with great character and mecha designs, pumped up production values, and superb animation (that still stands up to todays standards). But like many other movies it's hard to fit an entire season into two hours. ;)

Edited by UN Spacy

DYRL all the way!!! I also love the way Kawamori and Mikimoto always refer back to DYRL for character/mecha designs. Yes, there is more character development in the series, but I cringe at some of the animation. I also like the way Minmay is already an established star and not as young and annoying like in the series. DYRL cuts to the "meat", leaves the BS out, and I don't have to deal with any bad RT flashbacks!

SDF Macross is, by far, the superior. DYRL is all flash and no substance. Yeah, the animation is great, the new flight suits rock, yadda yadda yadda... but the Protoculture island was dumb, finding and translating a Protoculture pop song was even dumber, and the Zentraedi/Meltrandi conflict was an interesting idea that was never fully realized and detracted from the overall Protoculture-is-the-origin-of-everyone theme that the other Macross series run with. I'd actually go so far as to say that, for all the hype it gets on these boards, DYRL is actually my LEAST favorite Macross production.

Better animation doesn't equal better finished product. The original Gundam and Z Gundam are still better than Wing or Seed, and SDF Macross is better than DYRL.

I prefer SDF Macross for many of the reasons already mentioned. DYRL is great, but I feel that it largely depends on the TV series for emotional depth; many viewers who haven't been "primed" by the seeing SDF Macross may not understand why they should care about the characters.

As well, for most of the TV series, the dramatic pacing and plot structure is superb. The movie has weaknesses in continuity and character motivation which (in my opinion) are subconsciously papered over by viewers who've seen SDF Macross. I also prefer the underlying story concepts in the TV show (such as the Supervision Army, the way that culture "infects" the Zentradi, and the way the final battle plays out). And I really dislike the truncation of Kamjin's character in DYRL.

There are different ways of determining "preference"...which would I rather rewatch on any given day: DYRL, obviously. But if I had to go through life having seen only one of the two, I'd pick SDF Macross.

I prefer SDF the series since it explores in more intricate detail the war with the Zentraedi. I especially liked how they showcased the integration and rebellion of the Zentraedis after their big battle. I also preferred the more action packed death of Kazikazi and the more subdued death of Fokker. I disliked DYRL in their portrayl of ROy as this drunken fool. Come on, how many pilots can be like that and survive all this time. At least in the series he was THE MAN and in the movie he was a drunken pilot.

I voted for DYRL for the improved visuals, awesome action, and for the great scene near the end where Misa walks into Hikaru's room to find Minmay there, that conversation between Hikaru and Misa is full of emotion which I felt was lacking in the final episode of SDF Macross. Besides seeing Hikaru letting loose on Bodolza is classic.

Well, I'm watching SDF Macross for the very first time...I'm already at Bye-Bye Mars, and I can tell you I love Macross TV more so than I do DYRL? DYRL? is awesome, but TV 0wnz DYRL? My vote is Macross TV

We finally have the technology to do a live action flick. Digitally this would be a mutha! I do agree there are some elements from the TV series that should be brought in, but I like EVERYTHING else to be DYRL. Too bad we'll never see anything like a live action version due to the tangled legal rights. And I would pray it would happen with NO HG influence.

We finally have the technology to do a live action flick. Digitally this would be a mutha! I do agree there are some elements from the TV series that should be brought in, but I like EVERYTHING else to be DYRL. Too bad we'll never see anything like a live action version due to the tangled legal rights. And I would pray it would happen with NO HG influence.

WHY does everyone want to see EVERYTHING remade as a live-action movie?!?!?!?!?!?!

WHY does everyone want to see EVERYTHING remade as a live-action movie?!?!?!?!?!?!

After seeing G-Saviour, I don't want to see ANY mecha anime remade into a live action...

As much as I love DYRL, my vote is definatley for Macross TV. It all begins there. As for a live action movie, anyone who asks that should be forced to watch Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, & Double Dragon back to back for a week straight.

As much as I love DYRL, my vote is definatley for Macross TV. It all begins there. As for a live action movie, anyone who asks that should be forced to watch Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, & Double Dragon back to back for a week straight.

I liked the Mario movie.

Of course, I realize that the position it's in, somewhere between a "real" Hollywood film and a Mario game on the big screen, leaves it with almost no one to enjoy it.

The gamers wanted something more, well, Mario. The rest of the world wanted something more like every other movie.

I looked at it as an alternate Mario of sorts. Like Mario Land on the GameBoy. Or Super Mario 2 on NES. Another variant on the theme, albiet a darker one than usual.

I saw the Series first and never saw the Movie until after 15 years.

I voted for DYRL? but it was the really the series that started it all back when I was small.

TV series, by a mile.

The movie is pretty, but looking terrific can't make up for the story being dumbed down and trite and characters having their parts truncated or being reduced to caricatures of their original selves.

Compared to the series, it's just empty and weak.

As for a live action movie, anyone who asks that should be forced to watch Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, & Double Dragon back to back for a week straight.

You might as well shoot 'em dead. No one could survive that.

As for my choice, I choose TV for all the the reasons ewilen beautifully articulated earlier in this thread.

You DYRL lovers are choosing flash over substance!

Any live action anime of mecha needs to die. Hollywood already screwed up too many movies with anime, video games movies. I would hate to see crap CG effects. Like most movie adaptations are sucking. I rather not see a good anime turn into a bad movie.

Definitely the TV series. All I would need for a perfect world is Minmay to sing DYRL in the TV series.

As for a live-action film, you'd need someone who would treat it seriously, with a proper budget and real actors. G-Saviour was a nice effort, but suffered from poor acting and lackluster effects. Unless you spend the money, your CG effects just look cheesy.

As for a live action movie, anyone who asks that should be forced to watch Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, & Double Dragon back to back for a week straight.

Those are all video games, not anime. Video game adaptations generally suck as a rule (although I will admit to "Resident Evil" and the first "Mortal Kombat" as guilty pleasures). They're basically trying to tell stories where only the thinnest plot existed to carry the game action. At least with Macross, there is a story to start from. Rather than a remake of an existing story, I'd want to see live action used as medium to tell a new Macross story. The animation that exists is already a classic and doesn't need to be messed with.

You DYRL lovers are choosing flash over substance!

Ya so? Even though story telling, character development etc is important, part of anime's appeal is its appearance/presentation etc. If it wasn't we might as well watch animated stick figures.

Of course the TV series has more substance. But how much of that substance is quality?

Edited by dejr8bud

I don't know that the series had that much more substance.. so much of it was filler and revolved around non central characters... more background than real character arcs.

all the main stuff gets worked out in DYRL and certain aspects, like the technology and structure seem much more thought out than in the series...

I voted for DYRL... :p