HLJ coverage of Shizuoka Hobby Show

Terrance Wong

Lots of cool stuff in there.

What scale were those Starship Troopers suits gonna be in?

I like the Sulaco, too...

I'm not sure, but based on recent photos in either the May or June issue of Hobby Japan, I think those Starship Troopers Powered Suits are resin garage kits.

Personally, I love the small Kaiyodo Powered Suit Toys. Great articulation for the small size. It's just a pity that they never made the OVA version.

Graham

I'm not sure, but based on recent photos in either the May or June issue of Hobby Japan, I think those Starship Troopers Powered Suits are resin garage kits.

Personally, I love the small Kaiyodo Powered Suit Toys. Great articulation for the small size. It's just a pity that they never made the OVA version.

Graham

I probably would have loved them too, if I didn't pay full price for em when they 1st came out <_<

Graham

did they make an anmie of for this toy???

Honestly, I'm not sure. I know there was a CG tv show based on Starship Troopers that had a version of the power suits in it.

I don't know about the design of the power suit. I've always pictured it differently ever since I read the novel. Somehow, more ape like...

Graham

Honestly, I'm not sure. I know there was a CG tv show based on Starship Troopers that had a version of the power suits in it.

I don't know about the design of the power suit. I've always pictured it differently ever since I read the novel. Somehow, more ape like...

Yes, there was a SST anime. It was never released here in the states though.

Here is some line art

post-4-1085070499_thumb.gif

Edited by GobotFool

Graham

Here is some line art

Let me get this straight.

There's a Starship Troopers novel.....there's a Starship Troopers movie which was based VERY loosely on the novel....then there is the game based on the movie....

and now there's an anime based on.....???? Uhhh.... The novel?

Actually I saw these toys made by not sure who in a comic shopw in Australia about a year back....and they were labeled ARMORED SUITS or something....and I ever seen or heard of anything like that. It looked to me like an Elemental rip-off (or most probably what the ELemental was ripped off from)

Graham

Here is some line art

There's a Starship Troopers novel.....there's a Starship Troopers movie which was based VERY loosely on the novel....then there is the game based on the movie....

Actually I saw these toys made by not sure who in a comic shopw in Australia about a year back....and they were labeled ARMORED SUITS or something....and I ever seen or heard of anything like that. It looked to me like an Elemental rip-off (or most probably what the ELemental was ripped off from)

This anime is old, early 1980's I thought.

Edited by GobotFool

Graham

Here is some line art

Don't forget the sequel to the movie.

Graham

Here is some line art

Don't forget the sequel to the movie.

sequel, there is or will be a sequel? :o:huh::blink:

There is another board I lurk on occasionally where people actually prefered the movie to the book, and like the second SST movie as well. They all have some serious issues. I would love to find the SSt anime though.

This anime is old, early 1980's I thought.

Late 80's. IIRC, 1988. It was released under the title Uchu no Senshi.

Which literally translates to Space's Warriors. Interesting though that there were western novels converted to anime way back then.

Graham

Here is some line art

are you talking about SF3D(aka Maschinen Krieger) not the 90's CGI SST, right???

The Starship Troopers OVA anime was released in 1988. The Powered Suit designs were by Studio Nue.

The Kaiyodo Powered Suit toy which is very similar, but not identical to the OVA design was also designed by Studio Nue apparently all the way back in 1979.

Graham

RE: SST

I've seen it (and so had Veerhoven who direct the SST movie). A lot of the teenage 90210 elements in the movie appeared the 80's anime. the high school stuff and the football game are in the anime (not the book).

That aside the power suits are really cool - the best artistic interpretation of the suits I've ever seen. The anime bug are dissappointing though.

BTW, while I think the movie is poor, it IS an accurate interpretation of the book in many ways. All the patriotic stuff about promoting militarism is in the book. Some of the lines are lifted verbatim.

What peaks my interest in the display are the mini space ships. Are these for a wargame?

Yellow Submarine's extremely tiny (1/12000) ships from Heldensagen von Kosmosinisef are superbly detailed despite their size (the hand is in there for scale!).