Favorite obscure/under-rated toyline

This really isn't a thread for what you consider to be the best toy line, just toy lines that you like, but never really gets the attention you feel they deserve.

For me, the 1st and 2nd series exosquad toys are may favorite underrated toy lines.

I was looking for my obscure toy but I can't find it. :angry:

Can't really remmeber the name but i THOUGHT it was called Xpanders. But nothing on the web so i probably got the name wrong. It was something like Starcom but later. It had little plastic futuristic toy soldiers, and its vehicles kinda expand when you press a button. They slowly expand to open up into a base or something. Someone tell me what this toyline is.

And then there's that die-cast metal military toys which was brought up awhile ago....

STRCOMVEH2.JPG

MmmMm....Starmax bomber.

After looking through the toys of the past.....they were pretty kick ass crap weren't they? Look at what our children have today. Action Man. Pokemon. Transformers Armada/Energon....whatever happened to the creativity of the 80s?

After looking through the toys of the past.....they were pretty kick ass crap weren't they? Look at what our children have today. Action Man. Pokemon. Transformers Armada/Energon....whatever happened to the creativity of the 80s?

Flushed down the toilet by focus groups...

the slinky is the most obscure toyline :lol:

when i think about those little dino robots that you build and have like little silver coated pilots and all they do is just move around might be little underated.

Edit:

I found what it was called

Robo Strux aka the americanized zoids that was not realy popular.

Edited by Zentrandude

My favorite obscure toy line has to be the Japanese Spiral Zone toys from 1985. Just a pity that they are so expensive to collect :(

Graham

Was there a difference between the Japanese line and the American line? I only had Hiro but it was one of my favorite action figures. Lots of articulation and interchangable suits, armor and weapons. I also remember getting a cassette with the figure that had a short sort of 'radio drama' adventure. I think I still have Hiro kicking around somewhere with his suit and some acessories...

For me, it has to be the Visionaries.  I loved the cartoon, and the toys were just plain cool.

Jog my memory please, sounds familiar

*starts up treadmill*

*puts Nightbat's memory on it*

Run, run!

*ahem* Sorry about that.

Anyway, Visionaries was that toyline with all the holograms on the figures and the ships. The story line being that it was an advanced society that suddenly lost electricity of all kinds, so it quickly regressed into a medieval society. Then magic took over, with certain knights gaining the abilities to transform into magical animals.

One guy became a lion, another turned into a cheetah, etc. Some of these knights had powerstaves that gave them extra abilities, while others could power up and run old vehicles from the age of technology.

It was a great little show that sadly only lasted for 12 episodes. The first three were edited into a longer premier movie and was gorgeously animated, well above SDF Macross, Transformers, or even GI Joe levels of animation. Unfortunatly, the quality after that dropped like a stone due to lack of money, I guess.

But the toys are still cool.

I Like those little toys that had magnets on their feet, they were tiny but cool, can't remember name right now.

STARCOM. The picture I pasted are toys of them. :p

I loved starcom. I think I've still got a Starmax bomber somewhere. Anybody remember AirRaiders? Those were some SICK toys! I had the Twin Lighting (the one that look kinda like a souped up cloud car) and the Bad Guy fighter (can't recall the name). Those were cool.

For me, it has to be the Visionaries.  I loved the cartoon, and the toys were just plain cool.

Jog my memory please, sounds familiar

"Visionaries, Knights of the Magical Light!"

Ahem. :p

My favourite toyline? Takaras X-Bomber line. They only made something like five toys, but I would have given my soul as a kid to have owned any one of them...

...now I own two, and still have my soul... B))

Shogun Warriors... or more precisely "Shogun Warrior Jumbo Machineders!"

OK, so in today's day and age everyone remembers the giant japanese robots like Mazinga and the king of all lizzards featured in this toy line... but who here honestly remembers or owned their now mythic american release counterparts? I had the huge downs-syndromed Godzilla. He was the shiznit.

Shogun Warrior Jumbo Machineders

OK, so in today's day and age everyone remembers the giant japanese robots like Mazinga and the king of all lizzards featured in this toy line... but who here honestly remembers or owned their now mythic american release counterparts? I had the huge downs-syndromed Godzilla. He was the shiznit.

Shogun Warrior Jumbo Machineders

Yup, I remember.....my brother and I "battled" each other that X-mas morning when he got Godzilla and I got Raydeen. :D

Oh, how I remember the days when all toys shot unsafe projectiles and we threw lawn darts at each other.... :rolleyes:

Edited by GRAND CANNON

The toys during the 80's rocked. I used to spend hours in the toy shop burning images of toys into my head and going home to "play" with my toys because I was only entitled to toys when :

1.) its my birthday

2.) its my brother's birthday (this was to keep us from fighting over toys I was told)

3.) I did well in school/exams.

Sigh....sadly....kids today have crap. If the toys today were as good as back then...I'd sit down in the toy department for hours burning toy images into my head again. I'm serious. ;)

Another vote for Spiral Zone! Check out this golden oldie Datafile on Toybox DX!

Another old fav: TOMY's Lensman toys... some of the coolest hard-SF styling for mecha around! Especially for a one-shot anime feature, too!

Soon-to-be neglected: TOMY's superb 'Metal-Action' Zoids. 2 uber-cool figures, 3 sets of armor, The End. >(

CONVERTORS ... cheap little transformable robot toys rule! :lol:

course the line had Macross, Orguss, Dorvak, Beetra and my favorite Galvion mecha in it...and those little transformable birds were some of my favorites :D

Starriors. Each one had a wind up feature and interchangable limbs.

Sectaurs - Pretty articulated figures that rode on giant bugs, which were actually hand puppets. Awesome!

MASK - vehicles would transform into battle vehicles. Loved the main bad-guys plane that transformed into a helicopter. THe main good guy's car had opening gull-wing doors.

Hell yeah!!

Word. I still wanna yell "Mazinga!" everytime I see Mazinger.

Of course, the king of all of our "big robot" fights was the missing handed Godzilla with his freaky tongue sticking out.

We called 'em big robots and I always got stuck with which everone wasn't Godzilla or Mazinga (whom we also called Tranzor Z).

My second runner-up for unappreciated toys would be the die-cast 1/12 tractors we used to use to farm the living room. They were so cool and realistic - my GI Joes would often times commander them for special missions like ramming a desk or something.

I did grow up on a farm, y'all. :D

Ah those visionaries

yeah that series had potential,...bute were there ever any toys made for it

BTW: Mask was VERY cool (and expensive)

but neither obscure or underrated

Starcom fits the bill most, not only the series, but the toys were great fun

WOOHOO!

Action MAN, Big Jim

Became a fan while in Belgium as a kid. He was kind of a Action hero bad ass... Could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. He boned all the chicks also. He was kind of like Bond, but he really didn't work for any government, he was more like a contract hero. I liked that.

bigjim004.gif

bigjim1.gif

box1b.jpg