First operational "Akira" bike

Akilae

Go Here

I remember somebody was building up a working Akira bike a while ago... got posted onto the forums.

Well, apparently somebody else in Japan beat him to the job, and actually made a working model, complete with a DVD nav system....

Doesn't look like it would handle too well though...

EDIT: grammar, spelling, etc..

Edited by Akilae

Looks like the "brute force" engineering method was happily employeed to produce the bike :rolleyes: ... It looks like it would work...but all those drive chains = lottsa throttle lag... that wierd angle on the rear control arm looks unsafe, possably makeing the bike nearly uncontrolable...and the front stearing set-up, while workable, isn't going to give the rider much front wheel feedback...Course too there is the problem of it's rather massive width and overly long wheelbase :p

Man, that angle on the rear control arm really looks dangerious...crack the throttle, wait as it takes up the slack in the three sets of drive chains...and as the wheel starts to push the bike forward, it also uses the leverage created from the rear control arm to lift the rear of the bike (course all the weight of the engine and such being way up front doesn't help)...not to mention that hitting the stop levers with that funky control arm angle would allow the rear tire to slow faster then the rest of the bike, allowing the bike to lower the rear end when stopping...it's not a bike it's a freaking elevator :rolleyes: ... The first few generations of bikes with drive shafts had this "elevator" effect, though no where near as pronounced as indicated by the engineering shown in this Akira bike...

Looks like the "brute force" engineering method was happily employeed to produce the bike :rolleyes: ... It looks like it would work...but all those drive chains = lottsa throttle lag... that wierd angle on the rear control arm looks unsafe, possably makeing the bike nearly uncontrolable...and the front stearing set-up, while workable, isn't going to give the rider much front wheel feedback...Course too there is the problem of it's rather massive width and overly long wheelbase :p

Man, that angle on the rear control arm really looks dangerious...crack the throttle, wait as it takes up the slack in the three sets of drive chains...and as the wheel starts to push the bike forward, it also uses the leverage created from the rear control arm to lift the rear of the bike (course all the weight of the engine and such being way up front doesn't help)...not to mention that hitting the stop levers with that funky control arm angle would allow the rear tire to slow faster then the rest of the bike, allowing the bike to lower the rear end when stopping...it's not a bike it's a freaking elevator :rolleyes: ... The first few generations of bikes with drive shafts had this "elevator" effect, though no where near as pronounced as indicated by the engineering shown in this Akira bike...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ok

while i agree this thing probably won't be rideable (next to no turn radius on the front wheel, nearly no room to 'lean' the bike! how do you turn!!)

i don't believe theere would be a noticeable lag with the chains nor a significant ammount of body roll (elevator action, as you put it) it doesn't look to me like the rear tire would attempt to drive under the control arm.. and it would be easy to manufacture counter measures to something like that.

gotta remember thaat while hitting throttle and break will cause travel in the suspension, it won't cause the 'control arm' to streach..

a more horizontal design would be better, but i dont' think this is TOO unreasonable.

It looks pretty impressive..... Although I don't like the chain drive system. They could've done a similar job with a drive shaft and gear box setup. (If they have the room of course. I just want to see one that has 2 wheel drive and shoots lightning bolts from the wheels when you rev the throttle. :D

The bike in akira has an engine but the wheel hubs are big enough to use an electric motor/energy reclaimer for at wheel torque. I would use either a hydraulic transmission or the afformetioned electric motors in bike shaped like that.

And it does look a bit squat compared to the anime's design.

All those chaines gives me nightmares... electric motors would definately fit into those hubs though, considering the miracles we've achieved in miniaturization these few decades.

I think the whole problem with most real-world Akira bike reproductions would be the front fork... I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but the front fork does seem to be quite maneuverable, ie it raises for mounting/dismounting, the forks actually turn quite a bit side to side, and it seems to raise a bit when Kaneda does his 180 after the short chicken play with the clown.

Throughout the anime, Kaneda handles the bike like a cruiser. At the very end of the anime, when he rides off into the sunset with his battered bike, it would seem that under all that plastic, the bike is just another cruiser, just sleeker.

If anything, the bike that was unveiled in Japan looks like it doesn't even allow for it to be handled like a cruiser...

Maybe Kaneda has some sort of ride-by-wire technology, with a computer handling most of the stuff while he just revs the throttle :p

One of the things that helped the bike manuever better in the anime was that it had two wheel steering.

I do agree that it needs to be driven off of a couple of traction motors in the hubs. That's the best way to do two wheel drive on a mortorcycle. It also needs a hub steering setup, instead of trying to run conventional forks.

I still give the guy mad props for even trying. He's gotten way farther than I ever could have.

Personaly, I want one of these:

monocycle.jpg:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

What's funny is I got the die cast AKIRA bike about a week ago. It's 1/12 scale and looks fine. However I gotta say the tires don't seem to hold much traction on the real thing. Also talk about (the lack) of turn radius! Yeah the engine looks somewhat weak, if it has to haul the thing around.

Here's a few "specs" of the bike, according to the box:

Overall length: 2947 mm

Overall height: 1171 mm incl shield

Overall width: 831 mm Seat height: 340 mm

Wheelbase: 2194 mm

Ground clearance: 76 mm

Dry weight: 154 kg

Riders: 1

Braking distance: 9.9 m (at 50 km/h)

Minimum turning radius: 3.4 m

Tire size: 18 inches (front), 19 inches (rear)

Power generator: Cold superconduction generator

Maximum power: 83 kw/12,500 rpm

Maximum voltage: 12,000 V

Sterring system: Power support steering

Front Axle caster angle: 39 degrees 12'

Rear Axle caster angle: 3 degrees

Frame: Ceramic Box frame COWL: FRP and Carbon

Energy consumption at rest: 2.3 W

Maximum speed: 243 km/h

Drag Coefficient: Cd=0.24

Equipped with: Anti-lock breaks, auto-navigation system, forward-looking radar, CD player, Glove compartment.

Headlamp: 11w Neo halogen laser light

0 to 400 m: 9.8 sec

0 to 100 km/h (60 MPH): 8.7 sec

Battery charging time: 1 MW every 40 sec

( can run for 2 hours at full throttle on fully charged battery)

Why not post some pics of the toy?

post-3312-1139686004_thumb.jpgpost-3312-1139685994_thumb.jpg

post-3312-1139685985_thumb.jpgpost-3312-1139685974_thumb.jpg

Practical or not, I still think its cool that somebody has the stones to actually manufacture and market something like that.

Now, when am I going to get my officially licensed Mad Max Interceptor?

126252[/snapback]

Try Jim Martino, here: http://www.bestofshow-restorations.com/bos/index.html May not be licensed, but they're about as "official" as you're gonna get....

True, this bike is kick-ass cool, but like others here, I'm still waiting and hoping for the day we see a Mospeada Cyclone. Doesn't even have to transform--I'd be happy if they can make it look accurate.

True, this bike is kick-ass cool, but like others here, I'm still waiting and hoping for the day we see a Mospeada Cyclone. Doesn't even have to transform--I'd be happy if they can make it look accurate.

369337[/snapback]

Actually a good looking non-transforming cyclone woun't be hard to make at all. If memory serves there was a guy who made one out of his honda. Can't remember where I saw the pic though.

Here's a few "specs" of the bike, according to the box:

Seat height: 340 mm

My bike 830 mm

Wheelbase: 2194 mm

My bike: 1395 - forget wheelies and endos on that thing

Dry weight: 154 kg

My Bike: 179 Kg - Impressive

Maximum power: 83 kw/12,500 rpm

My Bike: 100.7kW/12,300 rpm

Maximum speed: 243 km/h

My bike: 275 Km/h

0 to 100 km/h (60 MPH): 8.7 sec

My Bike: 0 to 100 (60 MPH):2.9 sec

Can run for 2 hours at full throttle on fully charged battery)

Maximum of 1 hour on a full tank of gas (18L)

So the only thing I think is interesting is the 154kg dry weight, but comparing it

with GP bikes it's not that impressive

but since it runs on an electric engine I'm interested in the torgue it produces

it's not just top-end horsepower that makes a bike go

with that wheelbase and groundclearance (especially the lack of it when cornering)

you'd expect the akirabike to be a dragger

looking at HP and weight, that thing shoot rocket down the strip

but those 0-60 times are something to be ashamed of for most bikes -even in 1988

BTW: that tomahog has 4 wheels, that's NOT a bike

Edited by Nightbat