Carl Macek

Carl Macek to be Honored

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Houston, TX March 3, 2004-In recognition of his numerous contributions to anime over a career that has spanned some 20 years, early anime advocate Carl Macek, executive - new business development for ADV Films, will be honored at the upcoming Anime Overdose Convention, slated for March 5-6 in Santa Clara, CA. During a special reception on Friday, March 5, event organizers and conventioneers will celebrate Macek's career and achievements in advancing anime's fan base.

Macek, whose career began in 1984, has amassed credits as a writer, producer and story editor for animation. Hailed as one of the early proponents of anime, Macek contributed to anime's rise as a pop culture phenomenon in Western society. Joining Harmony Gold in 19845, Macek's television work includes producing, story editing and script writing, most notably for Robotech. In fact, Macek also authored the screenplay for Robotech: The Movie, which he co-produced and co-directed. He was the initial story editor and contributing script writer for the original C.O.P.S. while at DIC, and worked on Mattell's Computer Warriors. In 1989, he served as artistic director/producer for Streamline Pictures. In 2000, he joined ADV Films as executive - new business development, where he has developed and scripted the feature film Lady Death.

"We are proud to have Carl Macek on staff at ADV Films," states John

Ledford, CEO and founder of ADV Films. "The contribution that Carl has brought the advancing of anime is what we at ADV Films are known for. We also congratulate him on 20 years of contributions."

http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=309

Joining Harmony Gold in 19845

I KNEW IT!!! He really is an evil cyborg from the future! ;)

Truth be told, he was the one who first looked at SDF: Macross and saw it as something the Us would like. We won't go over again what happened after that.

But does it really forgive the.........debateableness of Robotech?

It's all well and good that he was doing it clean from the beginning, but the end product is usually the kicker for most people.

yes. there is no morality in money. Guy was a salary man doing his job. 9 out of 10 tiems you tlel your boss what to do you get fired and blacklisted.

good for him. Dont; forget he was faithfully translating macross before they made him change it.

Really? When did you find out about this? :blink:

Well, if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't re-discover Macross. Saw only one HK version episode of Macross which made a big impression on me and a few years later came Robotech on a European network that I saw every day. Then another few years later I discovered the original Macross, thanks to this site for example.

So I don't hold much of a grudge against him of HG, without them I wouldn't have Macross Toys from Yamato, which is ironical. :)

good for him. Dont; forget he was faithfully translating macross before they made him change it.

That may be, oh Illiterate One, but it still doesn't bring him forgiveness for birthing the abomniation known as Streamline. There's nothing faithful about anything the guy's ever done.

I respect the guy myself, it is tough to make 3 seperate stories into one, while competing (and trying to attract the audiance of) Gi-Joe, Transformers, and HeMan. Don't forget his target audiance was below the age of 15, so he had to have some "magic" to tie it all together, and in a fashion the kids could understand. I think he did a remarkable job under the circumstances. I like robotech. But then again, I liked flash gordon, six string samuri and kung fu rascals, so my taste in things is definatly questionable.... :lol:

I may not like some of what Streamline did, but it doesn't lessen Macek's acheivements for early anime in the USA. I'll honor him for that, at the very least.

I like Robotech, though.... so he gets no hate from me. My hate all goes to HG....

Really? When did you find out about this? :blink:

they had dubbed 2 or 3 episodes. Some names wher changed, about it. The music was the same as sdf macross, no mention of robotechnology etc. if you go on rt.com and see the missing clips they have up. Theos are from the original english dubb.

That may be, oh Illiterate One, but it still doesn't bring him forgiveness for birthing the abomniation known as Streamline. There's nothing faithful about anything the guy's ever done.

You go crying to the mods the second someone posts something slightly offensive, then you call a member illiterate... (our beloved ali sama types with his feet because he cleans guns with his hands while on MW)

I won't use your tactics by crying like a little girly-man to the mods, I am so sick or your cryings like a little girly man... a little baby. You should pipe down and go to the gym.

You can just hear me now and remember me later.

Truth be told, he was the one who first looked at SDF: Macross and saw it as something the Us would like.  We won't go over again what happened after that.

Ditto that, Wes.

Not exactly false, but not exactly true.

HG had grabbed rights to many anime series in the hopes of marketing them and generating a profit. Macek suggled his way into HG even though he, admittedly, only had a casual interest in anime, and knew of Macross itself through friends.

True, his original intent was to put Macross out in a dub dtraight to video, but Revell, as we all know, already was marketing the Robotech model line, many of the kits were comprised of Macross kits.

It's true that Robotech introduced many people to anime, but it, and Macek, defintely were not as influental as this honorific makes them out to be. After all that, Carl Macek's one glowing credit was Streamline's release of Akira.

So that's 1 for 2. Not really a great track record in my opinion.

I like how it points out his important role with RT: The Movie, even though the man himself says he was completely against the idea and has personally stated that he wishes people would forget it.

Macek isn't the villain many make him out to be, but then again, he definitely isn't the hero many want him to be either.

Well... you can always count on any mention of Uncle Carl to bring about friendliness on Macrossworld. :p

Either way... the man's done some good things and some bad things (usually with good intentions, possibly)...

I'm not jumping up and down to honor him for bringing us Lick Hunter and Company... but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't, if they want to.

Butt pirate or not, the man has been in the game for 20 years already, so he deserves his due. However much he deserves at least.

Edited by Anubis

You go crying to the mods the second someone posts something slightly offensive, then you call a member illiterate... (our beloved ali sama types with his feet because he cleans guns with his hands while on MW)

I won't use your tactics by crying like a little girly-man to the mods, I am so sick or your cryings like a little girly man... a little baby. You should pipe down and go to the gym.

You can just hear me now and remember me later.

Whatever you say, Skippy.

The anime community's love/hate attitude to Carl Macek reminds me a bit of the RPG community's collective feelings about Gary Gygax. Both guys got credit for stuff that they couldn't possibly have done if they weren't building on the ideas of others. They both produced flawed but popular products that took a new form of entertainment from a tiny niche and introduced it to the masses, only to see the genre develop and mature in ways that didn't agree with their original vision. Consequently, both came to be seen as dinosaurs and enemies of progress.

Point 1: HG licensed Macross before they brought Macek aboard.

Point 2: HG was preparing to release Macross in its "less" modified form before they brought Macek aboard.

Point 3: Macek was specifically brought aboard to come up with a solution in getting the show into a 5 day a week syndicated block, as well as cashing in on Revell's "Robotech" toyline. As such he picked 2 other shows, and deicded to mesh the stories together instead of just doing an anthology block.

Point 4: Macek is an ass that tries to take credit for creating anything he's even remotely invovled with.

Pont 5: Macek considers what he does to be "improving" the products but weeding out the elements which are forum to the american market, and making them "friendlier" to the consumer by changing them into something which they're not.

Point 6: Macek can suck my ass!

Macek deserves it...Back before the internet there were a loose knit of snail mail basied anime fan clubs...Even fan subs were rare in those days as the technology wasn't nearly as cheap...and along comes Macek with Streamline...not the best solution (and certainly the company showed what NOT to do with dubbing) but a true pioneer in the field...maybe anime would be as/even more popular today without the contribution of Macek...but "history happens" and in some small way we are here on this message board, a part of this wonderfull site, because Macek had his hands on the wheel, guideing the early anime boat, laying the foundation for the anime scene we often take for granted today...

Macek deserves it...Back before the internet there were a loose knit of snail mail basied anime fan clubs...Even fan subs were rare in those days as the technology wasn't nearly as cheap...and along comes Macek with Streamline...not the best solution (and certainly the company showed what NOT to do with dubbing) but a true pioneer in the field...maybe anime would be as/even more popular today without the contribution of Macek...but "history happens" and in some small way we are here on this message board, a part of this wonderfull site, because Macek had his hands on the wheel, guideing the early anime boat, laying the foundation for the anime scene we often take for granted today...

That's interesting....but wrong. By the time streamline came about, AnimEigo had also popped up, as did fledgling interest in releasing anime. Pioneer & Bandai both having large Japanese parent companies would have also gone the natural progression, Voyager was already releasing star blazers on tape, and the fact is that there was so much more tv anime before & after robotech, none of it related to the release of robotech, that macek was just a drop in the bucket.

Take pretty much everything The White Drew Carey, Keith, and ewilen have posted, add a subtle jab at all of the short, biased, and mainly uninformed responses cropping up (both ways), and soften it all with an objective thought about the whole thing.

That's pretty much what I would have posted if I wasn't about to head to sleep.

That's interesting....but wrong. By the time streamline came about, AnimEigo had also popped up, as did fledgling interest in releasing anime. Pioneer & Bandai both having large Japanese parent companies would have also gone the natural progression, Voyager was already releasing star blazers on tape, and the fact is that there was so much more tv anime before & after robotech, none of it related to the release of robotech, that macek was just a drop in the bucket.

Wrong? Naw, you are just looking for a argument...

Look man...history happened...we could fruitlessly speculate all day long about how things would have turned out minus the Macek man...and I know it rubs you all kinds of wrong...but Macek was there doing his little tap dance upon/to/for/in support of anime...No, Macek wasn't the first anime cheer leader, and no he wasn't the first to pump out crap "improved" anime either...But Macek and dozens of other equaly important people were there, each doing what they thought was right for anime....they all deserve our graditude...history favors the bold, and for lack of better term Macek was bold (be it as an ass or whatever).

Unless you have proof of Macek's evil...the killing puppies, burning kittens, piloting aircraft into buildings...then put your hatred of him to good use...do something constructive like writeing to the organizers of this awards event, promting them to also pay tribute to the likes of AnimEigo and the other anime scene pioneers!