Macross Shooting Insight for Switch, PS4 and Steam

Convectuoso

Gameplay is kind of a bummer.  You can't both shoot your cannons and lock missles at the same time so you basically will use your missiles exclusively if you want an S rank on every level.  Especially on Very Hard difficulty.

I also basically exclusively play in portable mode.  Everything is too damn small to really play at that size.

Despite my excitement with the overall exclusives, i have to agree with Mommar. Controls don’t feel as tight as it could be, seems to be some lag, which is a really a downer, cos I was hopeful it would be at least something like Macross arcade. 

I’m usually decent at shmups but so far haven’t really been able to get beyond the first stage for each pilot (each pilot seems to be in a mashup area, so Hikaru appears in a Macross Delta stage while Hayate seems to appear in a Vajra stage etc). 

More practice is needed! What’s nice is that BGM seem to kick in at the boss phase, so Bokura no Senjou starts playing when Keith windermeer appears, which at least feels cool 😎 

Man that first stage with those undodgeable orange rings is annoying.....unless there's a way to dodge I haven't figured out?  Best I could figure is go for the 4 sonic relays and shoot them down as fast as possible.

22 minutes ago, Dangard Ace said:

Man that first stage with those undodgeable orange rings is annoying.....unless there's a way to dodge I haven't figured out?  Best I could figure is go for the 4 sonic relays and shoot them down as fast as possible.

You have to use the dodge button to pass under them

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

You have to use the dodge button to pass under them

Ahhhh.  I thought it was just a cool sliding thing.  So that's dodge.  OKAY!  This makes it a little easier.  Thanks.

16 hours ago, the_foul_fowl said:

Despite my excitement with the overall exclusives, i have to agree with Mommar. Controls don’t feel as tight as it could be, seems to be some lag, which is a really a downer, cos I was hopeful it would be at least something like Macross arcade. 

I’m usually decent at shmups but so far haven’t really been able to get beyond the first stage for each pilot (each pilot seems to be in a mashup area, so Hikaru appears in a Macross Delta stage while Hayate seems to appear in a Vajra stage etc). 

More practice is needed! What’s nice is that BGM seem to kick in at the boss phase, so Bokura no Senjou starts playing when Keith windermeer appears, which at least feels cool 😎 

I didn't notice any input lag.  The actual dodge move is implemented poorly however.

8 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

I got my Limited Edition too.

IMG-20240319-WA0038.jpeg.8dab525f9569a3f7be8a53b12614c5f4.jpeg

I'm wondering how to get the DLC since it's only available on the Japan eShop

For the switch, while you could change your location to JP and your account would be linked to the JP eshop, the easy way would be to create an user with a Japanese eshop and use that to download the DLC… is there already DLC available?

12 hours ago, the_foul_fowl said:

For the switch, while you could change your location to JP and your account would be linked to the JP eshop, the easy way would be to create an user with a Japanese eshop and use that to download the DLC… is there already DLC available?

Hikaru.

21 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

I got my Limited Edition too.

IMG-20240319-WA0038.jpeg.8dab525f9569a3f7be8a53b12614c5f4.jpeg

I'm wondering how to get the DLC since it's only available on the Japan eShop

Create a japanese account and log in that way.  You don't even have to play the game with your Japanese account.  I csn playbthe game with dlc entirely from my US one.

13 hours ago, Mommar said:

Hikaru.

Got my standard version PS4 game yesterday from Amazon JP, without any of the extra stuff. So no booklet etc.

Is there really any extra DLC available at the moment???????

After installing the game last night from the disc on my HK Playstation account, it already includes Hikaru's DYRL VF-1S.

And I'm gonna have to agree with most people that the game is kinda meh.

I would have preferred a remasterted version of the old ArtDink PSP / PSVita games.

Or Macross 30 remastered for PS4 or PS5,

6 hours ago, Graham said:

And I'm gonna have to agree with most people that the game is kinda meh.

I would have preferred a remasterted version of the old ArtDink PSP / PSVita games.

Or Macross 30 remastered for PS4 or PS5,

The oddity about this complaint is the artdink games are 3d shooters.  That's asking for a different kind of game.  I like shmups, but this game isn't even up to par with a 30 yesr old Super Famicom title.

After some scares with Amazon JP (I got a couple of messages saying the game can't be shipped out of Japan), they came through and it arrived today.

It's disappointing that the latest Macross game is just a two dimensional shooter, but it's better than no Macross game I guess.

13 hours ago, Mommar said:

That's confusing given it was already on Grahams disc.  Maybe the digital version doesn't include that stuff?  Or Switch version doesn't on disc?

Yeah, 100% confirm the game as installed from the physical PS4 disc version of Macross Shooting Insight, which I ordered from Amazon JP, includes Hikaru and his DYRL VF-1S.

I installed the game while logged into my Hong Kong Playstation account,

I did not download or install any DLC, as there is no Macross content on the Hong Kong Playstation store......certainly Macross Shooting Insight is not on the Hong Kong Playstation online store.

While I think I do have an old Japanese Playstation account, I haven't logged into it for years, probably since the PS3 Macross 30 days, or Maybe when I had the PS Vita Macross Delta Scramble game,,,,,,I forget???? Not even sure I still remember the password for my Japanese Playstation account, it's been so long.

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

Yeah, 100% confirm the game as installed from the physical PS4 disc version includes Hikaru and his DYRL VF-1S.

I installed the game while logged into my Hong Kong Playstation account,

I did not download or install any DLC.

While I think I do have a Japanese Playstation account, I haven't logged into it for years, probably since the Macross 30 days I guess.

I don't know if that was applicable to the Switch version, but the way I understood the news before, only the Japanese PS4 and PS5 disc-releases will already include the so-called Hikaru/DYRL DLC.

The localized non-Japanese PS4/PS5 releases (discs or otherwise) will not contain the DYRL stuff like Hikaru nor even Minmay's art on the cover.

For my switch version I ordered from Amazon.jp that I’m playing on a non-JP account, Hikaru and the DYRL stage are there too. Maybe the DLC is if you buy from the JP eshop directly?

has anyone figured out if there are any unlocks in the game? Given that the boxart shows a VF-1S with fast packs, and there are ??? on the mecha gallery, I’m thinking there should be. Completed the Hikaru and Isamu routes, but no unlocks so far.

On 3/22/2024 at 8:15 PM, the_foul_fowl said:

For my switch version I ordered from Amazon.jp that I’m playing on a non-JP account, Hikaru and the DYRL stage are there too. Maybe the DLC is if you buy from the JP eshop directly?

has anyone figured out if there are any unlocks in the game? Given that the boxart shows a VF-1S with fast packs, and there are ??? on the mecha gallery, I’m thinking there should be. Completed the Hikaru and Isamu routes, but no unlocks so far.

I suspect if there are unlocks it's going to require S Rankings on every level on higher difficulties.

Got some time today and played it a bit more straight campagn now.

Selected Hikaru again, of course.

I got up to the second part of the Everlasting whatever dimension or something, with the confusing moving vertical lines.  The first part was in GERWALK mode and rather easy, but Basara's VF-19 keeps getting annoying as a tag-along. 

Enough for the night. I'll pick it up maybe next weekend.

That said, my favorite dimension so far is the Remembrance, where Regulds, Missile-Regulds, N-Jers, and Q-Raus are the enemies.  It's just really cool to battle against them than against the Vajras, Varautas, and Drakens.  At least, visually.

Guess I'm just so easy to please with DYRL enemy mechs...

:bump:

Edited by treatment

Completed the Story Mode in Normal level using Hikaru, and here as some screenies:

-ShootingInsight-_20240407014335.jpg.527b3e038b4ad5824644ee97a2214c12.jpg

20240407015435.jpg.afad989278e1f47cdfb3c4e8fd610013.jpg

-ShootingInsight-_20240407014321.jpg.2cf28f59f7738d552b20f3aee334fdd3.jpg

Not really sure why Alto's in that Trophy pic, instead of just Hikaru and his VF-1S. Weird.

As such, the Arcade and Boss Rush gameplay options are now unlocked.

So, stuff I wish this game have in story-mode:

• FAST Packs (Super and Strike), GBP Armor
  • Roy Focker, Guld, Max, Milia, Nora, DD pilot-selections
  • VF-0S/VF-0D, YF-21/VF-22, VF-4x, VF-11b, VF-5000, YF-29/VF-29, VF-31AX valk-selections.
  • Custom valk skins!

Maybe or hopefully BushiRoad will offer all or some of these as free DLCs soon...

Edited by treatment