Godzilla Minus One - November 3rd 2023

mikeszekely

On 11/3/2022 at 5:10 PM, Big s said:

That’s kinda what I expected, especially after the recent shorts. Although I would like to see a sequel to Shin Godzilla 

Same here would love to see one too but somehow I suspect one after a few years after this one maybe sequels to both being released in the same year?

I very excited for this Minus One movie and it will be my first movie theater ticket bought by me in over a decade!:D but I think with Shin the Ending scene leaves this part of the franchise in its own bubble as the mini humanoid zillas could just be taking in so many directions outside the norm and if carefully done could be the start of some new related franchise like Aliens Franchise on Earth War like in the comics? instead of acid blood and fangs the min G's would use atomic breath like a gun? Shin just has so much more to It  this Minus One is more like a dark horror movie like the first one was. That one scared me good as a kid

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

I'm really not a big cinephile. it's been so long since going to theaters, is the Imax the best? is there a brand of movie theater I'm going to get the best experience watching Minus One?

Alamo Draft House for the food and drinks. Showplace ICON (our favorite) for the cushy and heated reclining seats!!

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Alamo Draft House for the food and drinks. Showplace ICON (our favorite) for the cushy and heated reclining seats!!

Thank you, I just looked and found that the one you mentioned was in my area, but closed down, from a lack of sales because of the Sniffles Pandemic two years back.

Kinda of a bummer:D

5 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

I'm really not a big cinephile. it's been so long since going to theaters, is the Imax the best? is there a brand of movie theater I'm going to get the best experience watching Minus One?

I don't bother going to movies UNLESS they are in IMAX.  Regular movies just can't compare.  That said there are good Imax theaters and bad Imax theaters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow! Just Wow! This was definitely worth the praise it's been getting. I highly recommend it!

There's a lot I need to digest before I feel I can properly give my full detailed thoughts. This is definitely up there among the best films in the franchise, I'd even argue beating out the original 1954 film in some regards. It definitely stands above Shin Godzilla and I hold that one in high regard.

This is a must watch in theaters!

12 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Wow! Just Wow! This was definitely worth the praise it's been getting. I highly recommend it!

There's a lot I need to digest before I feel I can properly give my full detailed thoughts. This is definitely up there among the best films in the franchise, I'd even argue beating out the original 1954 film in some regards. It definitely stands above Shin Godzilla and I hold that one in high regard.

This is a must watch in theaters!

Great to hear!:) sometimes the trailers can be better then the movie. I've been dodging spoilers as I only plan on seeing it a week after release to avoid a packed theater and to get a better seat.

Holy crap, like, holy crap, not only was this probably the best Godzilla film ever made period, but it's absolutely one of the best movies of the year. Absolutely phenomenal, holy crap, I loved Shin Godzilla and considered it an already near-perfect Godzilla film, this surpasses it IMO. Just brilliant beginning to end, great pacing, beautiful cinematography, great performances, and the action and effects are fantastic. This film was made on a micro-budget compared to the American Godzilla blockbusters, which I also thoroughly enjoy for different reasons, but it still somehow looks better and more impressive IMO, just frakking fantastic. I am absolutely in for whatever big, deluxe 4K release they cook up, this movie was incredible and I may go see it again before it leaves theaters Wednesday. 

Seriously, this may be as good as or better then the 54 original film, it was fantastic. 

4 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Holy crap, like, holy crap, not only was this probably the best Godzilla film ever made period, but it's absolutely one of the best movies of the year. Absolutely phenomenal, holy crap, I loved Shin Godzilla and considered it an already near-perfect Godzilla film, this surpasses it IMO. Just brilliant beginning to end, great pacing, beautiful cinematography, great performances, and the action and effects are fantastic. This film was made on a micro-budget compared to the American Godzilla blockbusters, which I also thoroughly enjoy for different reasons, but it still somehow looks better and more impressive IMO, just frakking fantastic. I am absolutely in for whatever big, deluxe 4K release they cook up, this movie was incredible and I may go see it again before it leaves theaters Wednesday. 

Seriously, this may be as good as or better then the 54 original film, it was fantastic. 

Preach my brother preach! 😝

Went back for a second viewing this time in IMAX, and I have to say this film still holds up even on repeat viewings. This film really is that good!

About the only complaint I have is...

Spoiler

The guy/team who did the subtitles Anthony Kimm using the word "jet plane" every time an aircraft is mentioned or referenced like the Zero or Shinden.

That should tell you how great this movie is if that's all I can find fault with it.

One other think of note that the history geek in me noticed is this film does something I've rarely seen in Japanese cinema and that's...

Spoiler

Calling out the wartime Japanese government and military for their handling of the war, how they treated their own people, and the destruction it caused to everyone in general.

You almost never see this done in Japanese film which either plays up the "honorable death for the greater good", "The we could have won if we went so out numbered", "It's the US fault" or the "it was fate and the results of the war couldn't be helped." tropes.

You kind of get a hint of that thinking when Shikishima returns home to find his parents dead and his Aunt Sumiko blaming him for the death of her children for failing to sacrifice himself as a kamikaze during the war, despite the wishes of his parents to come back home alive.

It was kind of humorous when you had the ex navy captain of the Yukikaze give this big rousing "do your duty" speech only to be met with a " We've heard this all before, we aren't dying for your cause.", before having Doc intervene and make it clear this isn't a suicide mission, and no one is to throw their lives away. To which the crowd of ex servicemen states that facing Godzilla had better survival odds than what the government asked of them during the war.

It is an excellent movie. So awesome on the big screen. I must say, my new favorite Godzilla movie. 

3 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

One other think of note that the history geek in me noticed is this film does something I've rarely seen in Japanese cinema and that's...

I really agree with this point and found myself thinking the same thing. And it added an element of depth to the film (and especially the scene) that I very much appreciated.

The ending had a surprise or two and some expected elements , as well. 
And i loved the original style Godzilla music !

My cousin passed away earlier this year and I've been spending time with his son more often, taking him to see this tomorrow night, his first Godzilla film! He's excited, I was already in for a second viewing so this works for me, we're gonna watch Shin Godzilla when we get home. 

20 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

My cousin passed away earlier this year and I've been spending time with his son more often, taking him to see this tomorrow night, his first Godzilla film! He's excited, I was already in for a second viewing so this works for me, we're gonna watch Shin Godzilla when we get home. 

That's being good real family! have a great time! .. Going myself tomorrow on my day off at my local theater, can't wait!:D

5 hours ago, Tking22 said:

If the buzz is true, he may be in for a real treat