Wave 1/72 vf-171

seti88

well, looks like I can stop working on upgrade parts for the VF-171 to equipt it with heavy armor as it seems. I hope they will sell it as an upgrade pack. But - thinking of how the ordenance is connected on the nightmare plus, that might be wishful thinking. The pylons are molded into the wings, so I guess this will be a full new kit.

16 minutes ago, Urashiman said:

well, looks like I can stop working on upgrade parts for the VF-171 to equipt it with heavy armor as it seems. I hope they will sell it as an upgrade pack. But - thinking of how the ordenance is connected on the nightmare plus, that might be wishful thinking. The pylons are molded into the wings, so I guess this will be a full new kit.

I was scratching my head thinking surely that's not true because I didn't remember that being the case on the Alto kit... but sure enough, the CF kit comes with new wings with the pylons molded onto the undersides. I don't know why that revelation triggered such a reaction of disgust in me. :lol: What do you mean, you don't want customers to drill holes into the wings and glue the pylons into place!?!?!?

Looking at the scans on Hobbysearch, the CF comes with both the bare wings and weapon-mounting wings, so I suppose it's still not out of the question that a standalone add-on kit simply includes that extra wings runner.

42 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I was scratching my head thinking surely that's not true because I didn't remember that being the case on the Alto kit... but sure enough, the CF kit comes with new wings with the pylons molded onto the undersides. I don't know why that revelation triggered such a reaction of disgust in me. :lol: What do you mean, you don't want customers to drill holes into the wings and glue the pylons into place!?!?!?

Looking at the scans on Hobbysearch, the CF comes with both the bare wings and weapon-mounting wings, so I suppose it's still not out of the question that a standalone add-on kit simply includes that extra wings runner.

Mhmm ... that sounds plausible, but I think WAVE will do the full kit. They did that on the VF-4 and the normal VF-4 is discontinued.

8 hours ago, Urashiman said:

wait - is this legit?

5 hours ago, Thom said:

Don't get me wrong, that's cool, but can it be bought separately, or do we need to buy a whole nother kit...?

This was what was shown at wave's booth..seems to be another vf-171EX release with the armor included..

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

This was what was shown at wave's booth..seems to be another vf-171EX release with the armor included..

Well I hope it's not like the VF-4, where they stop selling the initial release and only offer the one with the 'extras.' Either way it looks like I'll be buying at least one more then...😉

I gotta say... it's so weird that Hasegawa has been sleeping on the VF-171 for so long. But I'm glad another company is doing it. And not only doing it, but doing many versions. I'm pretty sure the Armored won't be the last.

Hopefully they'll get to the RVF-171, and didn't they promote a tan colored VF-171 when the news originally broke that they were developing this project?

Got my VF-171 nightmare plus today.

The box is bigger.

IMG_3101.jpeg.2f853e50d657037680591dfc2239990e.jpeg

The fun part? The pieces could have fit into the Hasegawa double size box (the one you would find the YF-21 or VF-0 kits in) easily. Instead WAVE decided to use giant boxes…

meh.

and yes, there are two sets of wings in the box. One with pylons, one without.

IMG_3100.jpeg.44dd31ed773e810821b495ab576bffa5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Urashiman said:

The box is bigger.

The fun part? The pieces could have fit into the Hasegawa double size box (the one you would find the YF-21 or VF-0 kits in) easily. Instead WAVE decided to use giant boxes…

meh.

Would you please be so kind for pictures of all the spurs laid out? 

5 hours ago, Urashiman said:

The box is bigger.

meh.

Maybe it'll be the same box they'll use for the one with the super parts.

7 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Either is fine for me :) 

I‘m out drinking with some friends for a while but will take pictures as soon as I am back.

Edit: here you go

IMG_3125.jpeg.ddb746aa2e68c5c85652c6414228af0f.jpeg
IMG_3126.jpeg.2f7caec3073e90d602fdaddb6d46577d.jpeg

IMG_3127.jpeg.fbfca09e9174e579fb4e2e1f2e009b7c.jpeg

IMG_3128.jpeg.9e53005a02cde1c0961198e0b5b80e19.jpeg

IMG_3129.jpeg.2e9d160a9dc88e6ecb57967050ed0b15.jpeg

Edited by Urashiman

On 10/6/2023 at 2:42 AM, Urashiman said:

The box is bigger.

meh.

Yeah, Wave uses hilariously large boxes.  I got all four of my VF-4 kits in one box. :rolleyes: 

When you say wings "with and without pylons" though, are you saying they molded the pylons onto the wings, or just added slots/holes to mount them?  I don't figure they would do something so boneheaded as molding them on, but I've seen dumber things.

28 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, Wave uses hilariously large boxes.  I got all four of my VF-4 kits in one box. :rolleyes: 

When you say wings "with and without pylons" though, are you saying they molded the pylons onto the wings, or just added slots/holes to mount them?  I don't figure they would do something so boneheaded as molding them on, but I've seen dumber things.

The did something boneheaded and molded the pylons onto the wings. So there is two sets of wings.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:22 PM, Urashiman said:

Edit: here you go

Thank you!!! Appreciate it. 

Yeah, that's quite a big box. From my knowledge the reason could any of the following:

- More appearance on a shop shelf. 

- Prevent damage to the contents during shipping. 

- Excuse to charge extra on box size while actually saving on the weight. 

Edited by Raikkonen

On 10/16/2023 at 7:41 PM, Urashiman said:

@Raikkonen here, have all the runners and a dry build :)

Thanks!!! Really appreciate it. 

It's on my Xmas list!!! 

So it's all snap-fit minus the pilot?

Only detail I'm critical about, is the orange of the canopy is too dark Would have have been great if they included a transparent clear option. 

Otherwise, loving what I'm seeing. 

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

Thanks!!! Really appreciate it. 

It's on my Xmas list!!! 

So it's all snap-fit minus the pilot?

Only detail I'm critical about, is the orange of the canopy is too dark Would have have been great if they included a transparent clear option. 

Otherwise, loving what I'm seeing. 

It's supposed to be pretty dark isn't it? I feel like the painted up finished photos look pretty good.

Vf-171-fighter.webp

wavmc-075_3.jpg

13 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

It's supposed to be pretty dark isn't it? I feel like the painted up finished photos look pretty good.

Vf-171-fighter.webp

wavmc-075_3.jpg

Dude, you've comparing it to a cell shaded render... 

But if we are going down that road, then shouldn't be a flat metallic orange with zero transparency? 

2 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

But if we are going down that road, then shouldn't be a flat metallic orange with zero transparency? 

yeah ... the orange canopy is a bit much, I agree. Maybe do a vacu-form copy of the canopy and use that? I'll stick with the orange one though. Looks nice :)

6 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

I mean... yeah? There's no real life 1:1 version so what else should I compare to? Screenshot? DX? Random art? In all cases it looks similar, especially the DX.

If you want the metallic non transparent look, I think you could paint the inside of the canopy silver and get a reasonable result.

item_0000010351_05.jpg

vf_171_nightmare_plus_squadrons_by_dstorres_d6ztoad-fullview.jpg

ast21-a1.jpg