Wave 1/72 vf-171

seti88

Mine are on the way! I think these'll end up being a couple of standard blue fleet birds.

Now we just needs some super packs for them and an RVF-171 version.😀

EDIT

Of course, thinking about it, I may have an extra 1/72 RVF-25 in the stash that I can pull those parts off of...🤔

Edited by Thom

Good points, everyone. Yeah, it's a weird self-inflicted wound on the part of Plamax. The idea that they were trying to replicate what Bandai does for Gundam kits makes the most sense to me, but they failed on two fronts: (1) you can get away with stickers on a Gundam model far more easily than you can on an aircraft model (smaller designs covering smaller areas) and (2) you should produce decals alongside the stickers because this is a highly detailed aircraft model and that's been the industry standard for decades (even Bandai recognizes this fact). 

11 hours ago, Urashiman said:

Bandai is even so nice to provide both, sometimes. I had stickers and decals in my MG RX-78-2.

They did this for all of their 1/72 Macross Frontier and Delta kits too.. unfortunately they were all incomprehensibly terrible. <_< 

Really nice to see this one coming with some decent looking decals.  I think Bandai didn't even put "NO STEP" on the wings on the DX version.. they just stamped "171" everywhere for some reason. :lol: 

On 1/4/2023 at 6:47 AM, derex3592 said:

That was what I was wondering! Model looks great, but I HATE that orange canopy!  I would have to just smoke color mine and call it a day. 

I don't mind the orange. 
But smoke would look good too.!011EDBC8-F2C2-43A1-BC0E-688989E0D40A.jpeg.2681706b2b78f59945abef5be9f225f1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, eXis10z said:

Will these look good oob without paint

Well, they have different colored spures and so on, but it is mostly just white. The decals will not do much though.

FkPdK4DaYAAX3vE.jpg.a1c6faf04efd3ab14b46cdb0b952fece.jpg

Edited by Urashiman

On 1/16/2023 at 7:44 AM, eXis10z said:

Will these look good oob without paint

Found one on twitter that has "minimum paint job". Only the canopy and the gears are painted from what I can tell.

Edit: An apparently someone is already doing heavy modding to make a battroid version from the Wave kit.

Edited by Urashiman

16 hours ago, Urashiman said:

Found one on twitter that has "minimum paint job". Only the canopy and the gears are painted from what I can tell.

Edit: An apparently someone is already doing heavy modding to make a battroid version from the Wave kit.

Great ! I hope Wave (and Hasegawa..?) are taking notes !

22 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm still baffled why Bandai never made a transforming kit of this one.  Maybe just too fragile? (that didn't stop them from making the 262s though.. :p)

It's Bandai.🤷 But I think i found out how they go through the process  to decide which products to release..D24C2969-4C33-4A6B-B049-F4EB10DD4C91.gif.5ddb13fbcf64d0ec00d579406b9f11d6.gif

• 1 month later...

I managed to get mine and complete it out over the last weekend.

Overall, I love the shape and presentation.  The decals and colour separation could have been better.  So many places after I had snapped things together, referring back to the instructions showed indications where paint would need to be applied to improve the look and feel of the kit.  Did some disassembly and painting so there's a bit better looking a colour separation to it.

What got me the most niggles of all were the decals.  So many big narrow long ones that caused me to damage a few and not have a couple sitting snugly in certain places.  What niggled me more though were the decals that went on top of other decals!  These decals area already presented in 4 colours.  Why couldn't they use a 5th colour or re-use the same 4th colour to print that additional layer onto it rather than needing a second decal to go on top of one already applied?  Weird design choice for sure.

DSC07002.jpg.7ffe8fa21bad455a35970535bd3ba041.jpg

DSC07000.jpg.849be3f1cf4fbd54a603026cfac599a3.jpg

DSC06999.jpg.4bb0d6b6476227c971052fdc569288a0.jpg

DSC06998.jpg.a00c2ebbab16d30ac765d31a407a87e6.jpg

image.jpeg.5485b183e9dfdd37d827df0385dd0f8d.jpeg

• 2 months later...

For that much money, I'll probably just paint one of mine blue... Maybe if it came with super packs that would explain the cost. The original release is still about nine bucks cheaper. Wow.

Edited by Thom

These kits have never really been cheap, I think the VF-4 was around the same price when it came out.  I can kind of understand it, they're pretty niche designs.  Still wish Bandai would have made a transforming kit, but after the DX version they probably think the design is cursed. :p 

Still, I do appreciate having the different canopy and weapons.  This was really the version I wanted all along. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

These kits have never really been cheap, I think the VF-4 was around the same price when it came out.  I can kind of understand it, they're pretty niche designs.  Still wish Bandai would have made a transforming kit, but after the DX version they probably think the design is cursed. :p 

Still, I do appreciate having the different canopy and weapons.  This was really the version I wanted all along. :lol: 

Damn, it does have a different canopy! Freck! Bye bye money...

4 hours ago, Urashiman said:

Oh man! You are right! Bye bye money ... wait a moment ... my purse is empty ... damn

The thing is though, base price of the kit aside, it's the shipping that kills the most. At least another $20 just to get it to me, which with tax could put this close to $90! This ain't the Enterprise-D!!

baby-throw.gif

Edited by Thom