Graham's clarification - Yamato VF-0S

Graham

I guess I will be the lone note of disappointment here then...

All I want is for Yamato to make toys from each series so they can be displayed next to each other to show scale. Wouldnt it be neat to have one battroid from TOS, Plus, and Zero next to each other all in the same scale?. I don't know how people can say that the 1/48 VF-0 would be too big to be feasible as a toy. The 1/60th MONSTER promises to be the size of a large microwave oven, and will defy any display case.

Sorry guys, but unless the thing Graham can't tell us about yet is a VF-0 that will be the end all, be all of all Mac Zero toys, I think Yamato is just copping out on us with this. They prove to us that they can make a perfect transformation VF-1 packed with details, and then take ten steps backwards with the VF-0.

So, my rant is over on that un appetizing toy. In the end, if it's cheap, I'll buy it.

Graham, what about the actual interesting toy they had pics of, the launch arm, any info on that?

Edited by Mechamaniac

hey mecha in many ways i feel the same way as u do. i really feel ya man. the main reasons i am getting this even if a biasss 0 shows up ater with perftransform uis

1-cheap

2-hell its a 0 and u all know how much i asked abou the damn thing this past summer lol

shin who highly agrees with mecha about the 1/.48 0....how can it be too big?loook at the qrau and like he said the MONSTER. hey leasrt we know if it umps ship itll still be under 200$...u guys forget that the main difference is legneth with tthe vf-1 not overall girth in battroid

crap that didnt sound right at all

It's getting to be more like the early 80's every day, I mean even the valks are going back to removable nose sections. ;) But hey, that's fine, so much of this hobby is about nostalgia any way. It will be like I'm a kid again, pulling the nose off my VF-1S model to transform it! :lol: As far as the material goes, PVC works for me. Yammato could carve the thing out of wood at this point and I don't think I would be the only person ordering two shipped next day air. The leg CFT's are a bonus though.

And why is everyone having kids, don't you know a child is the surest path to financial ruin?

Woohoo, I guess it right,, it is a Zero toy :D ,

Anyways,, I guess their main reason to make it more afforable is so that it can bring in more Fans back to the Macross universe. I mean having a OAV with Mecha but no Mecha toy in stores for purchase in a big No-No. So the cheap 1/100 VF-0 is to boost sale and intrest from protential buyers into the Macross Zero/ Macross Universe.

Then after awhile they'll make their 1/60 perfect transformation VF-0 and yes the Sv-51's and the VF-0D too.

The 1/48 scale is alittle too big for me, I wonder can they do the perfect transformation in 1/60 scale for the VF-1.

Tall as a VF-11B huh? Well that doesn't make it sound so bad. I wish it was in scale with my 1/60 valks but understand the thing would be as big as a 1/48...

Definately loving the part about PVC and affordability. Can't beat that!

Congrats on your upcoming child, too, Graham!

Thanks, also congrats on the kid Graham!

Thank you.

The baby's due in early June. The VF-0S is scheduled for a May release, so guess I'll have a little bit of time to play with the toy before the baby comes :lol:

Graham

Congrats Graham! My son was born this past June 3rd. I can't believe the little guy is almost 8 months old already!! It's a change but man....It's the best most incredable change that could happen!! Good luck! Don't worry though, you'll still be able to get Valks.. I found ways ;)

Chris

P.S. I really like the Vf-0, especially if it's cheap. Dispite what I just said cheap still makes it easier!! :p

thanks for the update and explanation Graham. Wow...still almost as big as the 11...well...its bigger then I thought.

I am guessing that a benefit of doing the cheaper 1/100 is it might allow for an Ultimate say 1/72 scale version years down the line....I'm not asking for official word...just opinion...based on the success of the 1/48 line that would seem to make sense.

Hey,

I am very interested in seeing the pics of a painted 1/100 VF-0S....I like the idea of it being that scale....it will match up with my Bandai model of the VF-2SS model. I dont mind the swappable parts, as long as it looks good and is relatively cheap.

Graham Did Yamato say when they might show completed pictures of this toy? If it is due in May, I would think that they would be pretty far along. Also, do you have any information as to when we might see other Macross Zero toys in this line? Or are there even plans for this? I am sure that everyone would appreciate an answer from Yamato on this.

BY the way, Congrats on the expected child....I wish you the best of luck and may it be healthy and strong.

Thanks for the information Graham....

Larry

This 'scale problem' reminds me of the fan-concerns when Gundam F91 was released. Before F91, Gundam MS were on average 18 to 21m tall. But in F91, the mechs were only about 15m or so. The HG-level 1/100 kits were smaller than previous series of course, but fans could still have the privilege of owning same-scale representations of their favorite MS. And Bandai also released a 1/60 DX semi-toy F91 with internal skeleton etc for those who really liked the design/series. The difference with M0 is that Kawamori designed the VF-0 larger than the VF-1, and Yamato chose keep to the previous 'physical size' by downing the scale. Oh well, some will like it no matter what but I really feel the loss of opportunity for same-scale continuity in a series that opened the world of Real Robots to me.

OK,

What about the christmas update ? is there still gona be something

"Picking up my new Scanner this weekend(mine died a few months ago). Have a Gigantic update coming during the week of Christmas-you will not be disappointed!!"

Thanks

Edited by Montarvillois

I don't know how people can say that the 1/48 VF-0 would be too big to be feasible as a toy. The 1/60th MONSTER promises to be the size of a large microwave oven, and will defy any display case.

Gee, I don't know... maybe because the Monster is an artillery piece that mostly just sits there and the 0 is a plane that you have to pick up and fly around to play with?

Thanks, also congrats on the kid Graham!

Thank you.

The baby's due in early June. The VF-0S is scheduled for a May release, so guess I'll have a little bit of time to play with the toy before the baby comes :lol:

Graham

Congrats Graham! Ours is due in Mid-August so I'll have some time to try to figure out how to baby proof the room with my Macross collection.

the only thing that worries me is how loose the legs can become in robot mode....well since its pvc i trust it has enough resistance to not fall out not to mentioj its light....my 1/60 hikaru has loose ass hips and will fal out once leaned toward ground. its like a rag doll. compared to my 1.548 who is firm andtight.

gez none of that sounded right. since there is no diecast weighing the leg down let us hope that the hips and ball joints give enough resistance not to be loose.

1) Congrats Graham! If it's a boy, I know you'll keep the name 'Jeff' in mind.... (heck, even if it's a girl!!! :huh: )

2) The more I hear about the 1/100 VF-0 the more excited I get. Unlike others, I prefer smaller toys with amazing detail (see: GFF), the problem is that most companies who do smaller toys don't take the time to achieve a high level of detail, even though it's completely possible in nearly every small scale if you just work it out right.

As opposed to other Macross toys which I couldn't justify pre-ordering, I might just do it with this. It'll be fun!!!

Thanks for the info Graham. I like the Idea of swappable nosecones. That'll definately had some value to the toy. The swappable parts don't bug me as much as others. Also, I think the lack of die-cast is a plus. That should help keep the cost down plus keep the paint job looking good. At first 1:100 seems like a let down, I'm thankful there is a M0 line coming out.

Likewise, I don't mind the swappable parts. As long as the fool thing is sturdy/solid.

At least we can get a break from some of those naysayers that keep complaining about the Yamato Valkyries being too hung. :D

Look at the plus side after shelling out all this money for 1/48s, Monster, and Q-rau Yamato is giving there customers what they want. A break on the Wallet.

To everybody who's having/had kids congrats. I envy you guys!

Yah, amen to that! My wallet is already bone dry, and my bank account is next in line.

Graham, I think most of us already know if there will ever be a larger scale perfect transformation VF-0. :D

By the way, to everyone who's having or had a new kid, congrats!

Edited by Omni Existence

hey like drew...i dont think we need to worry about detail....for all i know yamato sacrifices everything else(1/60s being loose hipped, and other things like ..wait tab B on YF19 LOL) for DETAIL. yamato is pretty good with detail so this PVC bastard might be extremely durable, detailed and most of all....

PLAYABLE WHOOHOO!

Graham, would it be possible for you to take some pictures of the newest prototype on your next visit to Yamato, might be cool to see it in battroid mode ;)

It looks cool, the size is disapointing but since it will be low cost and plenty playable I'm cool with it, swaping parts isn't a problem as long as it looks good, and most importantly cheap, money seems to be a general problem here :blink:

And congrats on all who are having or recently got a kid :D

PS : JawJaw, since you said you where getting 3, I wish you good luck, you won't sleep for a LONG while :blink:

The smaller size (actually, it's still pretty big) will help with my shelf space which is fast running out. The lower cost will make it easier to buy multiples (important for me as I have a kid on the way and so need to save money). And I'm actually coming to like the idea of removable/swapable nose parts as it will allow for a toy which is better in proportion in all modes.

Graham

Congratulations on the new addition. I know they will have the proper Macross upbringing.

I like the I deal of an affordable valk because the dollar is really sucking against the Yen right now. The 1/48 Max and Millia are going to cost me more the the J now because of that. The size is nice, was running low on space anyway.

Hey Graham, congrats on the new addition to your family! I was wondering was the countdown only for the

VF-0S preview? Or is there going to be more for you to reveal later? I hope there'll be more for us to drool over. Thanx for VF-0S preview though! :p:D:lol:

Congrats Graham! Ours is due in Mid-August so I'll have some time to try to figure out how to baby proof the room with my Macross collection.

do what I do,

all my stuff is either in the curio cabinet (which locks)

or in my office, I just stuck a lock on the door so the little one can't get in there,

neither can the cats, I've found all my stuff knocked off before.

:lol:

Wow, I didn't know there was so many expecting kids. Congrats to all with newborns and those expecting. For those that asked, yes I am having triplets - two boys and a girl to be exact. They will probably be born sometime late April or early May, hopefully. It's a strange feeling because I still feel like a kid myself. I play with toys, watch tv, and play video games all day. :lol:

If Yamato can make it look pretty good and keep the cost down, I think there will be little to compain about. In the past, I think the main problem was the high cost of a Yamato. That raised expectations to a very high level in which it was difficult for Yamato to satisfy everyone.

As a side note - it would be cool to have a new thread how to kid proof display cabinets. I'm wondering if I should just box up some of my stuff and put in the closet.

Wow, I didn't know there was so many expecting kids. Congrats to all with newborns and those expecting. For those that asked, yes I am having triplets - two boys and a girl to be exact.

As a side note - it would be cool to have a new thread how to kid proof display cabinets. I'm wondering if I should just box up some of my stuff and put in the closet.

Congraduations too you too.

I would like topic on kid proofing your display cabinets too. I have a 19 month old girl. She already made my 1/48 VF-1J take a 3 foot drop twice.

congrats to all with children coming, or that have already had children arrive.

Now that that's out of the way...

It's not exactly my dream come true for VF0 toys... but I'm sure I'll probably pick one up and see what it's like before I get disappointed.

Personally, I don't give a furry rat's ass about scale... but I like my toys around 12" tall, I love diecast, and I've never been a fan of swappable parts for transformation.

Hope these work out well for Yamato... seems almost like it designed to have aspects that disappoint each of us on this board. What good is a low price point if we have to pay ridiculous shipping charges? It's hard to imagine these will be that popular on these boards. File under "sorta like Banpresto, but better" and keep the bigger toys coming, Yamato.

First off, I'd like to throw my congratulations to everyone expecting. I'm sure all of ya will spread your love for fantasy/sci-fi and creativity with them as they grow older (and we SORELY need it...)

On the VF-0... I like the scuplt, but I'm not TOO sure of the swappable parts idea. The price is right, the scale is OKAY. I like the MSiA series and have quite a few of them, including the "transformable" Gundams. They're nice, but just don't feel the same as say, a Yamato valkyrie. I don't mind removeable legs. Hell, the little arm inserts on early VF-1's were okay.

I'm hoping that the swapping is kept to a minimum. I don't like going through a box of parts to find the new hip joint/cockpit for battriod mode. I love Yamato, and have a LOT of respect for the company, so I'm sure they'll strike a balance I like.

Graham, thanks, as always, for your site, your help, and your info. I probably would have lost all hope of acquiring my first Mac Plus valk (as I don't like dealing with Ebay...)

Here's to a coming spring of Macross goodies! :)

Edit: fixed smile

Edited by GreenGuy42

I like my toys around 12" tall, I love diecast, and I've never been a fan of swappable parts for transformation.

Were we separated at birth?

I thought I was the only one that liked the big suckers.

Anything less than 1/60th is second string for me, and 1/144 is so much worthless crap.

I like my toys around 12" tall, I love diecast, and I've never been a fan of swappable parts for transformation.

Anything less than 1/60th is second string for me, and 1/144 is so much worthless crap.

Feh. MSiA are SO much fun to put into obscene poses. I have a line of Zakus doin' the YMCA dance.... gets a chuckle out of even my most die hard frat boy friends... :rolleyes:

All this waiting for something that needs to be taken apart to be transformed? Pass. I've waited this long, I might as well continue to wait until Yamato or some other company makes a VF-0 that actually transforms. What is it with Yamato and their removable parts? I guess true transformation is more important to me than ultimate anime accuracy.

Plus, I don't like the idea of PVC in a transforming figure. I like PVC for humanoid figures, but I've never liked it in mechs (Gundam for example). Also, I'm guessing when all is said and done this thing is going to be betwenn 40 and 50 bucks after shipping, which to me is not an acceptable price point for a PVC toy.

I hope Banpresto is cooking something up. :p

::EDIT::

I added more ranting. B))

Edited by eriku

Yes. Actually were seperated at birth. Mom and I never knew how to bring this up... but what the hey, now's as good a time as any. :p

I like my toys around the size of your average DX Gundam, Masterpiece Prime, or the 1/48... anything smaller just feels... i dunno... dinky.

Plus I think alot of folks here aren't realizing that even though the price point will be cheaper than the usual Yamato fare, the shipping fees added to it are going to boost it up to probably around the same price as a 1/60 on HLJ clearance at best.

If you're going to go to the trouble to ship a toy from overseas, it might as well be a big one, IMHO. At least that way the shipping cost seems more justified. I still remember people complaining that Banprestos weren't worth $15-$20... which is because they weren't supposed to cost that much in the first place.

Like most others here, I'm pretty amped about the Zero line finally getting some Yamato love. Sure, bigger is often nicer, but it all has to start somewhere and if the 'lil guys sell well (read: 1/60 VF-1s), then we could probably bank on a larger scale version release (I most certainly wouldn't sink money into a full-sized-all-bells-and-whistles project until a smaller version had proven interest). I plan on picking one up for sure... and if variants (0D... 2-seater 0A) show up, I'll likely pick some of them up too!