Graham's clarification - Yamato VF-0S

Graham

Heh.......my modem died, so I've been offline for the past three days.

Anyway, thought I'd start a fresh topic to clarify some points about the Yamato 1/100 scale VF-0S, as the other topic is already 7 pages long and my post would probably just get lost.

So, yes the pictures of the Yamato 1/100 VF-0S in the March issues of Dengeki Hobby and Hobby Japan magazine are what the previous countdown was about.

Anyway, based on recent converstations with Yamato, here's what I'm allowed to tell you about this toy: -

Yamato is aiming to make a toy which will retail at a low price point. While the exact price point has not been decided yet, it should be significantly cheaper than Yamato's other Macross toys. However, despite the lower cost, the toy should still be highly detailed and well articulated. The lower cost should please fans who like to buy multiples.

The toy will be constructed mostly of hard PVC with some ABS parts. There will be no diecast parts. I've been assured by Yamato that even though a large part of the toy will be PVC, it will be higher quality than other PVC toys, like for example the Banpresto Valks or the Bandai Gundam MSiA figures.

The toy does not feature perfect transformation. The toy comes with two different swapable noses, one for battroid mode and one for fighter mode.

This allows the toy to have a nose which is in-proportion for both modes, i.e. a long nose for fighter mode, and a shorter nose for battroid mode. Obviously, the legs have to be removeable to swap between noses. Also, the battroid mode neck piece has to be removed for transformation to Fighter of Gerwalk. The landing gear is also removeable.

In regards to size, I've been told that the battroid mode is nearly as tall as Yamato's VF-11B toy.

I've seen battroid mode pictures of a more advanced prototype than shown in the hobby magazines and the toy is plenty detailed enough and well articulated.

Graham

Thank you for the update! Can you comment on if there will be a larger perfect transformation VF-0S later? Will it have a clear canopy and a pilot?

I'll probably pick this up if it's around $30. I'm not sure I'd want to spend much more than that given all the swappable parts.

Thanks again!

Yes the 1/100 version will have a clear canopy. I'm not sure, but as far as I know it will also have a pilot figure. I've been told it will also come with removeable missiles, leg FAST packs and gunpod.

You have to consider that with publishing lead times, the pictures in this months Dengeki Hobby magazine are of a pretty old sculpt already. The present sculpt which I've seen a few days ago has much more detail.

Months ago, when I first heard that Yamato would be making a small scale non-perfect transformation VF-0, I was initially pretty dissapointed, but now that I've atually seen it, I'm warming to the idea. The smaller size (actually, it's still pretty big) will help with my shelf space which is fast running out. The lower cost will make it easier to buy multiples (important for me as I have a kid on the way and so need to save money). And I'm actually coming to like the idea of removable/swapable nose parts as it will allow for a toy which is better in proportion in all modes.

And yes, I know the answer to whether there will be a larger perfect transformation version later, but sorry I'm not allowed to say.

Graham

Thanks for the update and the larger scans, Graham. Can you tell us why Yamato decided to take such a different direction with the VF-0 toy?

Actually, yes I do know. There are two main reasons. However, I can't say without getting permission first. I'll ask if it's ok to explain, but I doubt it.

Graham

Graham did say a while back that the new Yamato scales would not go over well with sum. I don't mind it if it looks good and I think the vf-10 looks pretty good. I am not crazy about the non-perfect transformation, though. If the price is really that much cheaper then I might not mind it so much. I also have kids on the way, three to be exact, so there is no freakin way I can buy any more $100+ toys.

I am in the same boat with a kid on the way so I don't mind a lower price point of the the VF-0 right now.

Same here. My daughter was born Thursday. My Macross hobby funds will be low for a long time. :blink:

Cheaper is always good, and if the 4000 yen is actually true then a good bit cheaper. :) Leg Fast Pack armor + missles + pilot = bonus. As long as it's durable and has good detail, then cool, sign me up. I still wish it was 1/72 to go with the other valks, but considering how space on my shelves is becoming a premium, then it may not be too bad after all, and again the price doesn't hurt. The VF-0 is a big boy after all too. Can't wait to see a painted version.

Any pics of Gerwalk mode? Is it more stable than the 1/60's in Gerwalk so far?

I have to ask too, can't resist, where's the -19 already? I hope we can see pics of that by Spring at least. :(

I am in the same boat with a kid on the way so I don't mind a lower price point of the the VF-0 right now.

Same here. My daughter was born Thursday. My Macross hobby funds will be low for a long time. :blink:

Congrats! Here's wishing the best of everything for her!

Congratulations.

Have you chosen a name yet? Millia, Minmay, Mylene, Ishtar, Myung, Sharon, Mao, Sara etc :p

Graham

Congratulations.

Have you chosen a name yet? Millia, Minmay, Mylene, Ishtar, Myung, Sharon, Mao, Sara etc :p

Graham

Thanks Guys. Nah, None of those, her mother doesn't have the fondness for Macross that we all do. ;)

Thanks for the info Graham. I like the Idea of swappable nosecones. That'll definately had some value to the toy. The swappable parts don't bug me as much as others. Also, I think the lack of die-cast is a plus. That should help keep the cost down plus keep the paint job looking good. At first 1:100 seems like a let down, I'm thankful there is a M0 line coming out.

Look at the plus side after shelling out all this money for 1/48s, Monster, and Q-rau Yamato is giving there customers what they want. A break on the Wallet.

To everybody who's having/had kids congrats. I envy you guys!

JawJaw did you say you had three on the way? :blink:

Edited by scand

Hey, CONGRATS to all for their new/upcoming children!! I, too, have a second en route.

And for the new-comers...........loss of sleep is also on the way!! :lol:

Just make sure that the rocker you'll be using at all hours of the night has a good line-of-sight to your Valk Shelves! :D

Geez, maybe we should start a procreation thread? Lotta fertile members out there! ;)

Hmm since Graham cant tell us if there will be a bigass kill em all end all alpha opf the omega VF-0 later on I will take his reply as a

"YES" come on if he can't tell than obviously he is hiding something yamato does not want companies like bandai to hear just yet. LOL .

Graham will you be able to show us any detailed pics of all 3 modes and accessories? and of colors? Also was this waht shawn was going to update aas well?

eh guys I Guess I was right...this IS going to be highly toyetic...I mean its likea gundam FIX version of valks think about it!

1-scale in the hundreds range...1/100

2-PVC? the hell thats what the Fix toys are made of!

3-swappable transformation parts? on par with gundam FIX!

4-lots of accessories? again loook at gundam fix.

5-highly detailed enough for sith graham to like it/?(we all know he loves detail remember when he slammed bandai and praised nyamato on the 1/55 hikaru reissue review?)

6-price range close to gundam fix!

Without a doubt I think for certain this bastard can take a beating and wont break that easilty. I mean come on PVC? hn,,,,/.///as long as i know in my heart a bigger bad ass perfect transform version will come out i can buy thisone for cheap and not give a damn.

but why yamato1!

bitching over.

graham please show us this thing! Could bandai have been planning a fix line of valks and yamato n relased this to counter it?

UH OH LOL

* remember when one of the FIX designers was interviewed and spoke of wanting to do FIX with other robots?*

It all really depends on how they make the PVC though. FIX's PVC is... rather flexible. However look at something like Kaiyodo's action figures, they're also PVC, but are rather hard and brittle, e.g. Virtual On Oratorio Tangram figs. Personally, I prefer the hard and brittle PVCs as they don't end up warping like Bandai's figures, but in that place, they break easier. =/

Thanks for the info, Graham!! And congratulations to all parties with their upcoming/newborn babies. :D

Frankly I'm disappointed at the 'words' on the VF-0S. I'm waiting for the pictures to change that. :p

For a name, I vote Myung. (Because it's close to Miang).

Anyways---Graham--anything you can share with us regarding any sort of Mac+, YF-19 etc news? And I'll second (third?) a request for a VF-0D.

Finally--my guess for the reason it's 1/100 is so that it's easier to sell an upcoming 1/48. I mean, it'd be a lot easier to sell 1/48 VF-1's if there wasn't a diecast 1/60 available as well. By making a VF-0 which has swappable parts, no diecast, and is much cheaper, it's easier for Yamato to sell both. :) Just my guess. People would complain if they did like the VF-1 with similar 1/60 and 1/48, but this way there's a lot of difference, and everyone's happy.

Edited by David Hingtgen

The toy comes with two different swapable noses, one for battroid mode and one for fighter mode.

This allows the toy to have a nose which is in-proportion for both modes, i.e. a long nose for fighter mode, and a shorter nose for battroid mode.

That's a brilliant idea! I'd love to see that on other Macross toys, even those with perfect transformation. Very cool!

Finally--my guess for the reason it's 1/100 is so that it's easier to sell an upcoming 1/48. I mean, it'd be a lot easier to sell 1/48 VF-1's if there wasn't a diecast 1/60 available as well.  By making a VF-0 which has swappable parts, no diecast, and is much cheaper, it's easier for Yamato to sell both.  :)  Just my guess.  People would complain if they did like the VF-1 with similar 1/60 and 1/48, but this way there's a lot of difference, and everyone's happy.

Interesting point. For the same reasons for making big M+ valks at 1/60 and NOT 1/48 (if at all), the VF-0 wouldn't really be feasible in 1/48. It would be WAAAYYY to big in 1/48 to be feasible as a toy. A 1/60 would also look that much more attractive against a 1/100 VF-0, allowing for the cheaper still high quality product, and also the uber valk at the more expensive price point. Kind of like a Master Grade vs a Perfect Grade Gundam kit comparison.

To do perfect transformation at 1/72 would also have been really difficult. Like Graham said, the swingbars used in Ep. 1 would be way too fragile for a toy. I don't really mind the parts swapping, especially if it nets a much more accurate valk in each mode. Once more pics come in, I'm sure I'll warm up to 1/100 scale VF-0 instead of 1/72 like I initially hoped. As long as the legs attach securely then I'll be a happy camper. Since they spend so much time in gerwalk anyway in the show, that's how I was planning to display my M0 valks. I don't have anyone in gerwalk right now.

I'm also hoping for the VF-0D as well.

Edit in: I do have to add in that I really like the sculpt in fighter mode. Looks very accurate indeed. Look forward to seeing how the other modes look.

Edited by Anubis