44 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Woah... Mospeada kits by aoshima...

Yes, as previously reported, they're once again reissuing the 34 year-old Imai model kits.  Despite their age, the 1:12 scale Mospeada and Brough Superior "variable type" remain the most accurate produced.

9 minutes ago, teckno viking said:

This actually 1/12 though?  The old 1/12 kits the figures were too big to be 1/12.

I beg to differ, my viking friend... but it's an unfortunate issue Japanese modelers laughingly refer to as "anime scale."  Allow me to demonstrate.

Consider the following figures, all licensed kits released by reputable companies, all explicitly marketed and labeled 1/12:

anime_scale.thumb.jpg.3650696971210869d60ae3687b3421ce.jpg

Assuming an average male height of six feet / 182cm, the Imai Mospeada figure is spot-on, the Kaiyodo Priss figure is absurdly large, the Aoshima hardsuit Priss is much too short, and the Southern Cross Jeanne is too tall... but not by much, considering her contemporaries.  In terms of height, Imai's is clearly the most scale-accurate.

Proportions, however, are an entirely separate problem.  :unsure:

31 minutes ago, enphily said:

Aw just 20 yen cheaper then AE, but with pay later option.

I am sticking with AE since i have a MG kit there to ship together. Hoping i can get some savings that way.

2 minutes ago, tekering said:

Yes, as previously reported, they're once again reissuing the 34 year-old Imai model kits.  Despite their age, the 1:12 scale Mospeada and Brough Superior "variable type" remain the most accurate produced.

Heh still milking the mold after all these years.. ;) I must have forgotten or missed that announcement, thanks for the clarification.

27 minutes ago, tekering said:

I beg to differ, my viking friend... but it's an unfortunate issue Japanese modelers laughingly refer to as "anime scale."  Allow me to demonstrate.

Consider the following figures, all licensed kits released by reputable companies, all explicitly marketed and labeled 1/12:

Assuming an average male height of six feet / 182cm, the Imai Mospeada figure is spot-on, the Kaiyodo Priss figure is absurdly large, the Aoshima hardsuit Priss is much too short, and the Southern Cross Jeanne is too tall... but not by much, considering her contemporaries.  In terms of height, Imai's is clearly the most scale-accurate.

Nice selection there tekering.

I had no idea in Japan 1/12 is refered too as the "Anime scale". The West its truly became a popular scale for many franchises.

My height issue is when you place the Mospeada rider with other 1/12 brand figures ie Figma, S.H.Figuarts, Marvel legends, Mezco One:12 etc.  This is where the heights become problematic.
For me i don't get hooked on that too easily as people in general come all heights and sizes. My 1/12 figures happily have Figma (tends to be the smaller brand) with Mezco One:12 characters.

Alas for the model i recall in my youth having it but back then no other 1/12 lol  I will be getting one to compare and fingers crossed a sqad in place for when the Anticipated release in Jan of the 1/12 toy. 

8 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

"Another protagonist, Rei's details will be released next week!" 

Awww yeah getting to Rei right away. Now please tell me Houquet and Yellow are somewhere in prototype form already and are just waiting to be green-lit. 

Looking forward to the details but worried as they are going the same way as Beagle with the releases. It's the easy way but I want Rook next.

The price is lower but also the scale is smaller. Still I like the look of the revised bike to get it. I'll probably wait till release though. The new design doesn't give me the scares like that old version that I dislike. And I'll probably display it in bike mode only anyway. Those shots look really good.

14 minutes ago, teckno viking said:

I had no idea in Japan 1/12 is refered too as the "Anime scale".

Sorry, I didn't mean to give that impression.  "Anime scale" simply refers to the inherent inconsistencies that result from trying to establish the size of a fictional object, or an imaginary character, in an environment that doesn't actually exist.  What's the wheel base of a Mospeada ride-armor?  How do we know how tall Stig is supposed to be?  There's very little information provided for reference, and what published stats we do have (mecha dimensions, for example) are inconsistent with what's depicted onscreen.  

It's therefore next to impossible to have consistently-scaled merchandise, even when the same company is producing it.

15 minutes ago, teckno viking said:

My height issue is when you place the Mospeada rider with other 1/12 brand figures ie Figma, S.H.Figuarts, Marvel legends, Mezco One:12 etc.  This is where the heights become problematic.

Well, it's unlikely to expect competing companies to produce merchandise at compatible scales with each other...  Hell, we're lucky to get a consistent scale within a single toy line, even!

12 minutes ago, teckno viking said:

So my weekend is sorted, scratch build a 1/12 Gallant H90. Try to make attachment rifle parts (so removable or worse case solid rifle varient) and then mold & cast.

Sounds promising.  Will you be selling castings?

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Also, add an extra 6 inches to any 6-foot soldier to account for the thickness of the helmet and the high-heels of the boots, armor-mode boot extensions not withstanding... And assuming Riobot scaled the figure appropriately to begin with.

Edited by captain america

2 hours ago, tekering said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to give that impression.  "Anime scale" simply refers to the inherent inconsistencies that result from trying to establish the size of a fictional object, or an imaginary character, in an environment that doesn't actually exist.  What's the wheel base of a Mospeada ride-armor?  How do we know how tall Stig is supposed to be?  There's very little information provided for reference, and what published stats we do have (mecha dimensions, for example) are inconsistent with what's depicted onscreen.  

It's therefore next to impossible to have consistently-scaled merchandise, even when the same company is producing it.

Well, it's unlikely to expect competing companies to produce merchandise at compatible scales with each other...  Hell, we're lucky to get a consistent scale within a single toy line, even!

Sounds promising.  Will you be selling castings?

Your not wrong on different Brands Not overly working together to solidify a scale LOL

As for the Casts of the Gallant. I will post once done to hear what folk think, if liked its possible Yes an make a batch or two of 1/12 Gallants for sale. Just so you know I am in the UK :/

6 hours ago, seti88 said:

Woah... Mospeada kits by aoshima...

Same scale too! Squadron building anyone?!

I used to have Stick and Ley's kit back then as same as above line. They were 'perfect' Ride Armors back then. ;) 

5 hours ago, enphily said:

I was checking if I should switch to NY but when I checked the shipping they already charging Y4500 for EMS. While in CDJapan, it's Y2900. I'm assuming the box of this will be big as the VF-1's box. :o

5 hours ago, tekering said:

So, ride armors are becoming active again, so it's time to come out of hiding (well, lurking) after something like 8 years...

Hi again, all.

The thing that frustrates me here is that I organize my ride armors by scale. For instance, I have a shelf that is all CM's Mospeada figures, Yamato Bubblegum Crisis motoslaves, and Yamato Megazone 23 Garlands. Despite some claiming to be 1/18 and some 1/15, to me, they all seem around 1/18 and look good together. It may sound sad, but this is my Shinji Aramaki shelf and kind of my collecting pride (though the other scale ride armors are on a different shelf).

On the 1/12th front, I have an Aoshima MOSPEADA model (the transforming one) and a 1/12th motoslave model. Haven't assembled either yet, but I was hoping they'd look in scale with each other (and with the upcoming Sentinel). the Aoshima, however, is just a re-release of the Imai molds (as I understand it). So, from your picture, it looks like these won't go together at all.

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

Aw just 20 yen cheaper then AE, but with pay later option.

I am sticking with AE since i have a MG kit there to ship together. Hoping i can get some savings that way.

Heh still milking the mold after all these years.. ;) I must have forgotten or missed that announcement, thanks for the clarification.

None of these sites (except BBTS) are giving quotes on shipping for pre-orders.

I'm in the USA. Can anyone give me an idea of how shipping prices compare between HLJ, AE, CDJ, and NY? I'm looking to buy two of these, but, taking AE as an example, a rough estimate makes it look like I could be paying over $50 in shipping, which seems crazy... but it's really hard to compare these different prices without knowing how the shipping rates compare.

Thanks in advance for any help.

5 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I'm in the USA. Can anyone give me an idea of how shipping prices compare between HLJ, AE, CDJ, and NY? I'm looking to buy two of these, but, taking AE as an example, a rough estimate makes it look like I could be paying over $50 in shipping, which seems crazy... but it's really hard to compare these different prices without knowing how the shipping rates compare.

Nippon-Yasan has a virtual shipping calculator on the right side when you add the item in the cart. The shipping price you see here is the Registered SAL. So you need to click the Calculator button to check how much shipping is going to cost.

59ce76ea73865_ScreenShot2017-09-29at9_35_55AM.png.2cfaafb8dc336140b0e42924c0421d2a.png

On CDJapan, under the Add to Cart button, there's a shipping charge calculator too.

59ce770d68dc2_ScreenShot2017-09-29at9_36_34AM.png.d1325e105e0b9f237cfbf0182901f5c5.png

And if you try to add the items in the cart, you can still check an shipping estimate if you view the cart.

59ce77356888f_ScreenShot2017-09-29at9_36_46AM.png.bc8364607c891c0ecd80d6a01336fcc7.png

Just a piece of advice. These prices are not accurate since they don't know what's the actual size of the packages. So it's all estimating. With Nippon-Yasan, don't ever think that after you select the shipping method once you place the preorder they will lower the price down the road if the shipping is lower since it's higher when they estimate it. They're not gonna do that and they never will. However, Nippon-Yasan tends to ask from time to time additional shipping cost if the package is bigger than they anticipate it. That's why with HLJ, you don't see the shipping cost since they don't know how big or small the package is. But once the item is available, they will include how much the shipping cost will be since it's already been measured by them.

Like what I posted a few post, CDJapan estimate the shipping around Y2900. Whereas Nippon-Yasan estimate it at Y4500. These are both EMS Shipping going to USA. CDJapan listed the item for Y19000. While Nippon-Yasan listed for Y17980. 

Now knowing whose between these shops has a great customer service is a whole different story. 

Hope that helps. ^_^ 

26 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

$50 for 2 from AE is still cheaper than BBTS...I'm pretty sure any of the Japanese site options you go with will be cheaper than BBTS overall. I just ordered from NY and with shipping (SAL), it comes out to $182 going by the current exchange rate...so over $20 less than BBTS.

4 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Nippon-Yasan has a virtual shipping calculator on the right side when you add the item in the cart. The shipping price you see here is the Registered SAL. So you need to click the Calculator button to check how much shipping is going to cost.

On CDJapan, under the Add to Cart button, there's a shipping charge calculator too.

And if you try to add the items in the cart, you can still check an shipping estimate if you view the cart.

Just a piece of advice. These prices are not accurate since they don't know what's the actual size of the packages. So it's all estimating. With Nippon-Yasan, don't ever think that after you select the shipping method once you place the preorder they will lower the price down the road if the shipping is lower since it's higher when they estimate it. They're not gonna do that and they never will. However, Nippon-Yasan tends to ask from time to time additional shipping cost if the package is bigger than they anticipate it. That's why with HLJ, you don't see the shipping cost since they don't know how big or small the package is. But once the item is available, they will include how much the shipping cost will be since it's already been measured by them.

Like what I posted a few post, CDJapan estimate the shipping around Y2900. Whereas Nippon-Yasan estimate it at Y4500. These are both EMS Shipping going to USA. CDJapan listed the item for Y19000. While Nippon-Yasan listed for Y17980. 

Now knowing whose between these shops has a great customer service is a whole different story. 

Hope that helps. ^_^ 

Thanks. Guess I need to do some estimates and just take a chance.

The only ones (of these retailers) that I've used before are HLJ and BBTS, and that was the better part of a decade ago...

BBTS gives you a guaranteed price (no currency fluctuations) and renowned customer service from a local (for US buyers) shop. That's probably worth some premium to some folks. I had points at CDJ so that made my decision for me but I could definitely see opting for BBTS on this one even if the $$ did work out in the favor of AE, NY, or even HLJ.

4 minutes ago, jenius said:

BBTS gives you a guaranteed price (no currency fluctuations) and renowned customer service from a local (for US buyers) shop. That's probably worth some premium to some folks. I had points at CDJ so that made my decision for me but I could definitely see opting for BBTS on this one even if the $$ did work out in the favor of AE, NY, or even HLJ.

Thanks. That's pretty much where my thought process is right now.

16 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

$50 for 2 from AE is still cheaper than BBTS...I'm pretty sure any of the Japanese site options you go with will be cheaper than BBTS overall. I just ordered from NY and with shipping (SAL), it comes out to $182 going by the current exchange rate...so over $20 less than BBTS.

For 20 bucks, I'd rather buy from BBTS and just have it go through a few states instead of worrying about overseas shipping and customs. Plus it gets to me in a few days. Plus, BBTS customer service is better for me IMO. Now if I was saving 100 bucks, that's different.

7 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Thanks. Guess I need to do some estimates and just take a chance.

The only ones (of these retailers) that I've used before are HLJ and BBTS, and that was the better part of a decade ago...

You're welcome sir! Glad to be of help. ;)

I used BBTS before with my Hot Toys stuff. And what I like with them is they offer great customer service. You will know that you will be taken good care of since they're US-based. And they send replacement if your item is broken or missing some items. Hence, the premium price they offer. As with HLJ, they're the next best thing when it comes to customer service. 

Another piece of advice that I forgot to include on my response earlier is that, I know the shipping cost really adds up to our spending esp if you're just on the right budget. But consider that when you buy something expensive, make sure you use the best method out there that covers insurance too if anything should happen in-transit. EMS covers atleast Y20000. So if you bought something more than that, you're Y20000 covered. However, Nippon-Yasan claimed on their FAQ that you'll get the same total of the purchased item. Which I think it's better. But so you know, I still haven't received my Y6000 compensation for lost Registered SAL package from them. And that's almost 3 months now.

In the end, buying something outside the US is always a gamble. And it's why I always preach to be patience all the time. ^_^

5 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

You're welcome sir! Glad to be of help. ;)

I used BBTS before with my Hot Toys stuff. And what I like with them is they offer great customer service. You will know that you will be taken good care of since they're US-based. And they send replacement if your item is broken or missing some items. Hence, the premium price they offer. As with HLJ, they're the next best thing when it comes to customer service. 

Another piece of advice that I forgot to include on my response earlier is that, I know the shipping cost really adds up to our spending esp if you're just on the right budget. But consider that when you buy something expensive, make sure you use the best method out there that covers insurance too if anything should happen in-transit. EMS covers atleast Y20000. So if you bought something more than that, you're Y20000 covered. However, Nippon-Yasan claimed on their FAQ that you'll get the same total of the purchased item. Which I think it's better. But so you know, I still haven't received my Y6000 compensation for lost Registered SAL package from them. And that's almost 3 months now.

In the end, buying something outside the US is always a gamble. And it's why I always preach to be patience all the time. ^_^

My sentiments exactly. If it was a 100 dollar difference it's one thing but for 20 bucks. No thanks. I'll stick within the states.

I do want to start this new line and hoping they will complete the line, unlike beagle cyclones, they canceled after the second release. But at approximately 200 bucks a pop, I don't think I could afford to collect the complete set. Who says money can't buy happiness.

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie2008 said:

I do want to start this new line and hoping they will complete the line, unlike beagle cyclones, they canceled after the second release. But at approximately 200 bucks a pop, I don't think I could afford to collect the complete set. Who says money can't buy happiness.

Well, TBH, we've only seen Stick's on this variant since this is more of Aramaki's reimagining of the Ride Armor. And the other one is Ley. And because those two artworks exist in the Mospeada Book. We're not sure yet if they will make Fuke's or Yellow's in this format. Hope they do. If not, hope they do the anime version one if they're planning on completing it. ;)

If you're unsure, you can just sell it down the line.

1 minute ago, no3Ljm said:

Well, TBH, we've only seen Stick's on this variant since this is more of Aramaki's reimagining of the Ride Armor. And the other one is Ley. And because those two artworks exist in the Mospeada Book. We're not sure yet if they will make Fuke's or Yellow's in this format. Hope they do. If not, hope they do the anime version one if they're planning on completing it. ;)

If you're unsure, you can just sell it down the line.

To that point, I'd LOVE to see them tackle the remimaginings of the MOSPEADA and the Garland from the Anime Bikes book (see my profile pic).