27 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

IMO, a more likely explanation is that the idea propigated while Han was on display in Jabba's palace.

By nature of his chosen vocation, Jabba the Hutt was naturally inclined to do a fair amount of business with bounty hunters and kept at least one (and more likely several) of them on retainer as hired muscle.  Every one of them would have known that Fett collected the bounty on Han Solo and had an opportunity to see the carbonite slab because Jabba had it mounted on the wall of his audience chamber.  That would probably have been enough for most bounty hunters to put two and two together and end up spreading the idea when they talked shop with other bounty hunters.

(Though I do find the idea of some PR flack trying to convince Lord-freaking-Vader to do PV spots for a portable carbon freeze system marketed to bounty hunters absolutely hilarious.  Doubly so since Rogue One revealed he's not above a villainous pun, and Vader being Anakin and therefore a massive drama queen he'd be as hammy as possible in something like that.)

Vader brand freezer pops; now on display at your local crime lord's hideout....

Since we're talking about Mando again. I'm surprised how most of us didn't see where the direction the show was going to go during the first season. The appeal of this new show was the fact it was a new character, and his stories were set apart from everything else. Didn't have to be concerned about all the continuities to come. You could enjoy it for what it was.

That first season ended with the appearance of the Dark Saber from the cartoon. Next 2 seasons brought in Bo Katan and Ahsoka from the cartoon. Then there was the Book of Boba Fett a show that included at the last minute a final duel with Cad Bane from the cartoon. A bad introduction in my opinion. If you followed the cartoon, you'd know his entire history with Fett. If you didn't their scenes just felt odd.

Finally, you get Ahsoka. A show that firmly establishes that these live-action shows you've been watching were always part of the cartoon universe. For this show you really did need to be concerned about the continuity from the cartoons to appreciate it.

I really miss Mando from season one. When we thought it just its own thing. Set its own little corner of the galaxy dealing with local problems.

2 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Since we're talking about Mando again. I'm surprised how most of us didn't see where the direction the show was going to go during the first season.

... looking at Dave Filoni's filmography, it really is surprising if people didn't foresee that an avid pre-Disney Star Wars fan and creator being involved wouldn't result in him trying to tie his work under Disney back to his pre-Disney work.  Though I guess this did predate Disney's authorial saving throw attempt to start "rescuing" material from the old Expanded Universe after they failed to stick the landing with the sequel trilogy and Solo: a Star Wars Story.

2 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

That first season ended with the appearance of the Dark Saber from the cartoon. Next 2 seasons brought in Bo Katan and Ahsoka from the cartoon. Then there was the Book of Boba Fett a show that included at the last minute a final duel with Cad Bane from the cartoon. A bad introduction in my opinion. If you followed the cartoon, you'd know his entire history with Fett. If you didn't their scenes just felt odd.

As someone who hasn't seen ANY of the cartoons, up to at least the middle of The Book of Boba Fett nothing has really given me the feeling that the cartoons are required... more like an easter egg than a course prerequisite.

The few references that I assume are to the events of those cartoons are so minor that I could get the gist of what happened just from what's said in The Mandalorian.

I haven't gotten to... is his name really "Cad Bane"?  That's the best kind of awful naming sense.  🤣  That's like naming a pair of knife fetishists "Shanklin" and "Slashley".

3 hours ago, Mog said:

There’s also Maul’s brother, Savage Opress. (pronounced Sah-Vahhhg).

Totally stupid name, but the character was just a typical overpowering tank type.

I always thought Boba Fett was a stupid sounding name, but I guess it’s better than Grumble Shooter or Sarlac Munch.
Starkiller seemed a bit silly as well and I’m glad they dumped it 

5 hours ago, Mog said:

There’s also Maul’s brother, Savage Opress. (pronounced Sah-Vahhhg).

Totally stupid name, but the character was just a typical overpowering tank type.

From this, I can only assume that the infamous Bothan Spies(TM) are named things like "Suun TuDiye" and "Iym DuMed".

19 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Twice over... wasn't it Luke's surname in the early drafts of A New Hope?

Yeah, that’s what I thought 

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

From this, I can only assume that the infamous Bothan Spies(TM) are named things like "Suun TuDiye" and "Iym DuMed".

Reminds me of those pilot names from that Korean air crash a few years back

Just got to the part of my The Book of Boba Fett viewing where the series completely forgets it's not The Mandalorian for an entire episode.

I think that kind of says all that needs to be said about that series... They had to bring in Mando to save it from itself.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Just got to the part of my The Book of Boba Fett viewing where the series completely forgets it's not The Mandalorian for an entire episode.

I think that kind of says all that needs to be said about that series... They had to bring in Mando to save it from itself.

It’s weird that that’s the best stuff in the show. At least boba was the star of his show for a little while. I still haven’t seen as Ashoka episode where she was the main character 

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

There was a also a lot of that in season 3 of Mandalorian too. That butch former Imperial officer and especially with Bo-Katan Kryze which gives me hope that we'll see Katee Sackhoff in Filoni's STAR WARS movie 😍

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

There was a also a lot of that in season 3 of Mandalorian too. That butch former Imperial officer and especially with Bo-Katan Kryze which gives me hope that we'll see Katee Sackhoff in Filoni's STAR WARS movie 😍

I actually hope she doesn’t turn up for much other than a quick cameo. I don’t really like her character. She’s kinda wishy washy.

If there is another Star Wars movie anytime in the near future I’d hope it just has characters we haven’t seen yet.

I’m not even sure if they’re going to do a major plan with the franchise for a bit with the low viewership of the Starwars live action shows and the overall Disney failures at the movies. Andor is currently considered one of the best entries in the series and that show was a bit of a failure even after putting episodes on multiple streaming services.

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I'll take more Bo Katan!:D

4 hours ago, Big s said:

It’s weird that that’s the best stuff in the show. At least boba was the star of his show for a little while. I still haven’t seen as Ashoka episode where she was the main character 

Not that weird, IMO.

The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett have done a lot to let Boba Fett escape his Original Trilogy standing as a glorified extra and a flat character, but that doesn't mean they made him a likeable or interesting character.  He spends his time in The Mandalorian mainly being a gruff, taciturn mook in a mask who helps Mando bust heads and that's all.  In his own series, Boba Fett borders on Idiot Hero territory with his near-continuous displays of breathtaking idiocy and naivete.  The overwhelming majority of his problems in The Book of Boba Fett are self-created... a product of his inexplicable ignorance of how being a crime lord works, his stubborn refusal to act as a crime lord should, and a determined and consistent rejection of the advice of his own subordinates and advisors.

It's nearly impossible to get invested in his struggle because he wouldn't be struggling if he would just listen to others.

Din Djarin, on the other hand, is a much more interesting character because his problems are chiefly external and a catalyst for his own growth.  He listens, thinks constructively, and finds ways to work around or through his problems.

I do like that Boba showed a little humor in The Mandalorian, when he said the Imperials “might recognize my face.”

I wish we got more of the Boba we saw in Mando.  That guy was fun.

Finished The Book of Boba Fett last night... and it's as much a mess as I remember it being.

I can definitely see why Star Wars fans consider it The Mandalorian Season 2.5 instead of a separate series in its own right.  It's pretty weak stuff.  Boba Fett's a pretty boring main character and his story would have been even shorter than it ended up being if he weren't a complete idiot.  Pivoting to Din Djarin and later Luke, Ahsoka, and Grogu was a blatant authorial saving throw that really didn't work nearly as well as they were hoping it would.  Having Grogu decide to ditch his Jedi training and rejoin Din feels like The Mandalorian's marketing and merchandising teams kind of hijacked The Book of Boba Fett to keep the "Baby Yoda" money coming in.

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Mandobros had so much potential.

Nah, Din was carrying Boba so damn hard... so hard that he had to carry Boba for the second half of Boba's own show.

5 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Makes you think maybe his fate in ROTJ wasn't that bad at all. 

Yuuuuuup.

It's really hard to believe someone so naive, gullible, and incapable of detecting malice was ever a top bounty hunter.  It would've been way better for him as a character to go out at the top of his game than to live to deteriorate into that.

On the other hand, it does make it a lot easier to understand why the Empire moved away from clone soldiers.  If that's the quality they were getting from clones left to their own devices in the field, no wonder they decided clones weren't cutting it.

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yuuuuuup.

It's really hard to believe someone so naive, gullible, and incapable of detecting malice was ever a top bounty hunter.  It would've been way better for him as a character to go out at the top of his game than to live to deteriorate into that.

On the other hand, it does make it a lot easier to understand why the Empire moved away from clone soldiers.  If that's the quality they were getting from clones left to their own devices in the field, no wonder they decided clones weren't cutting it.

Just substitute "clones" for clowns (although in BoBF's case, it might be accurate).....

Edited by pengbuzz

• 2 months later...

If its made well which I'm sure it will be I bet this will be the highest grossing STAR WARS film yet. Seriously, could be the first STAR WARS film we see as a family too. My young children don't have much interest in STAR WARS but they enjoy the Mandalorian and "baby Yoda" 🤣

Edited by TangledThorns

I have a bad feeling about this. A movie that’s a sequel to a show that a good amount of people aren’t watching is a bad idea especially when the show hit its lowest point and kinda disappointed its viewers. I just think a lot of people are gonna skip it and even a good amount of fans will wait till it’s on D+

Part of the problem with The Mandalorian was the side-quests that were deemed needed for filler. Personally, I enjoyed them even if they added little to the plot, as it was just fun to watch Mando doing his 'thing.' A movie though, they can concentrate on main plot and main plot only, and a good trailer will bring people in. And being a good movie will bring more in.

Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but it all depends on how good the story will be.

The overall story arcs for Mando Season 3 and Ahsoka Season 1 were solid.  But they just didn’t “connect” or hit as well as I would have hoped.

Again, we’ll see how this turns out.