Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

46 minutes ago, jenius said:

I'm with you! Attics are no good for storing toys... they cook and yellow quickly. We have members in places like Sweden and members with very nice finished attics so for some folks it's fine! 

Just ask @tekering about attics....

14 hours ago, grogall said:

I honestly never collect things to have too sell them again. I collect to have them for display. This year I'm getting a new display case from USM-haller wich have enough room for all my Valk's and any future releases....

Man, I look forward to seeing this setup! Another thing I can’t bring myself to do is spend more for my display than the stuff it’s displaying but if got the means, I want to see it, lol!

8 hours ago, borgified said:

Macross up here in Canuckle Land is not big as Transformers from the start since Generation One (1980’s) and onwards and mostly likely the Bayverse Era helped that too. There’s also Gundam which was also super popular in the ‘90s. 

I’m pretty sure Transformers is bigger than Macross everywhere. Part of the problem we Macross collectors face is it is such a niche market. People always whine about “artificial scarcity” but if the market was big enough to warrant so many more products, there would be more made. 

4 hours ago, Paco Grande said:

Wouldn’t the attic destroy your toys pretty quickly? Mine is hot enough in the summer that it would melt toys for sure. 
I would rather see them go to a collector, even at a loss. 

Anyway I’m not sure what else to say. I will put an ad up and get nothing but low ball offers for months. Eventually I get fed up and take a low offer to get it out of my house. I just don’t have the storage space and I’m more about having money in my account than dusty toy boxes in the attic. 

And I have the same issue with Masterpiece Transformers. Mine are always super mint and I can barely give them away. I have one up for sale right now that I paid over $200 for. It’s barely been touched and is mint in box with all the parts etc. I have it up for sale for $100 and the best offer I’ve had after 6 months is $70. So I’m hanging on to it for now. I’m wondering if some of you have not actually tried to sell anything recently? It may be worse than you think out there. Most people are barely getting by so expensive toys are pretty far down on the priority list. 

It was kinda a joke or figure of speech meaning I’d rather let them rot than to essentially pay someone to take them from me. I get you are getting some money back but I look at it as whatever loss you take is how much you just paid someone to take your toys from you. So yeah, I’d rather give them away to some kids or something or literally let them rot. But like I said, I get it and everyone has got to do what they gotta do. I’m the one sitting in a house that’s literally packed to the brim with boxes of toys so that’s my own heaven/hell. lol!

15 hours ago, Paco Grande said:

I have sold a few DX valks. I have limited display space and decided to focus on TV only. So I sold my movie figures. My experience is that people in my area are cheap as hell and refuse to pay anything decent for these things. Less than Japan MSRP and I always have to pay way more to get them. So I’m selling at a massive loss which is very disappointing and makes me question my toy collecting. I wish it were easier to get these things closer to MSRP.  I typically pay more than $400 CAD for DX VF-1 figures and I’ll be paying over $500 CAD for the DX YF-21 and if I sell them I won’t be able to get more than $250. 

Damn. Some of us, me especially, are looking for things at reasonable prices and really not looking to lowball anyone. Are you still looking to be rid of any valks?

10 hours ago, Slave IV said:

This makes it even worse! Not only are you selling Macross items, you’re doing it at a loss? That’s essentially paying people to take your Macross from you. Can’t fathom the thought. I’d rather let it rot in my attic than do something like that, lol!

Hush now. I don't know what he has left yet. ;)

16 hours ago, Paco Grande said:

My experience is that people in my area are cheap as hell and refuse to pay anything decent for these things.

So don't sell to people in your area!  Sell online, where you can reach a much larger market for your toys.  I've made a decent profit on every Macross collectible I've sold.

4 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Just ask @tekering about attics....

I'm not dumb enough to store toys up there.  My attic is just for boxes.

storagebins.jpg.7d6c7cf67ecad19e6c02c9f68b0be989.jpg

My surplus DX Valkyries are stored outside. 😜

DXstorage.jpg.310f03baf513ef0e42dc22285bec0cc1.jpg

4 hours ago, tekering said:

So don't sell to people in your area!  Sell online, where you can reach a much larger market for your toys.  I've made a decent profit on every Macross collectible I've sold.

Outside?? Wow!!!! :hail:

12 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Man, I look forward to seeing this setup! Another thing I can’t bring myself to do is spend more for my display than the stuff it’s displaying but if got the means, I want to see it, lol!

I’m pretty sure Transformers is bigger than Macross everywhere. Part of the problem we Macross collectors face is it is such a niche market. People always whine about “artificial scarcity” but if the market was big enough to warrant so many more products, there would be more made. 

It was kinda a joke or figure of speech meaning I’d rather let them rot than to essentially pay someone to take them from me. I get you are getting some money back but I look at it as whatever loss you take is how much you just paid someone to take your toys from you. So yeah, I’d rather give them away to some kids or something or literally let them rot. But like I said, I get it and everyone has got to do what they gotta do. I’m the one sitting in a house that’s literally packed to the brim with boxes of toys so that’s my own heaven/hell. lol!

I see it more as me paying a rental fee for having the toy for a while. 

10 hours ago, tekering said:

I am selling online. Of course. The low balls are from online buyers. And most of them don’t even want to pay for shipping! Even if it’s less than $20! I often get shipping quotes for buyers and then never hear from them again cause the $18 was a deal-breaker. 

Again, the issue is that I’m not able to buy Macross SDFM/DYRL DX figures anywhere near MSRP so I’m usually paying double. Many buyers don’t understand that so they look up the MSRP and work down from there. If I were able to buy them at their actual cost without markups I would most likely be able to sell them at a profit. I don’t buy a huge amount of Macross stuff so it’s not that big of a deal.

I actually started buying those VF-25 recent reissues because I can actually get them on sale on Amazon without too much fuss. I have never seen any media past Macross Plus so I never really cared about any of the newer valks. But I now have two VF-25 figures and a VF-171 on order. 

1 hour ago, Paco Grande said:

I see it more as me paying a rental fee for having the toy for a while. 

I am selling online. Of course. The low balls are from online buyers. And most of them don’t even want to pay for shipping! Even if it’s less than $20! I often get shipping quotes for buyers and then never hear from them again cause the $18 was a deal-breaker. 

Again, the issue is that I’m not able to buy Macross SDFM/DYRL DX figures anywhere near MSRP so I’m usually paying double. Many buyers don’t understand that so they look up the MSRP and work down from there. If I were able to buy them at their actual cost without markups I would most likely be able to sell them at a profit. I don’t buy a huge amount of Macross stuff so it’s not that big of a deal.

I actually started buying those VF-25 recent reissues because I can actually get them on sale on Amazon without too much fuss. I have never seen any media past Macross Plus so I never really cared about any of the newer valks. But I now have two VF-25 figures and a VF-171 on order. 

I completely understand your position myself and it seems very logical.

Nothing wrong with passing toys on to the next guy and trying to get what you want out of them.

On 2/5/2024 at 1:58 AM, tekering said:

I could have sworn at one point you posted pictures of your attic and it was filled with your "overflow" items. Maybe it was just boxes? :unknw:

On 2/5/2024 at 1:02 PM, Paco Grande said:

Macross is kinda slow to sell or lowballs offers if your trying to sell on Ebay and even worst on Mercari the only real exception is DX Bandai valks.  I gave up myself, it would be cheaper to keep at almost give away prices, but had it been transformers people would have been begging for them. sometimes its the other way around, that Yamato no painting version on Ebay I offered the guy a 80% asking price offer, he responded how rare and valuable it was, how upset was I would even make an offer, then raised the price even further. two years later its still listed on there. one reason I stopped buying vintage toys.

Given that Macross is such a small/niche market, I would think most Macross collectors have previously bought from or would be familiar with places like Mandarake, Yahoo Japan, etc. for used valkyries. Even retailers like AmiAmi sell used Macross items. Especially with the exchange rate lately, prices are significantly lower at these places than what you generally see listed on eBay everything factored in, so I'm not sure why someone would go to eBay as the primary secondary market for used Macross items.

As far as DX VF-1s on the secondary market, if they're not busted up, the demand still remains very strong for them and I don't recall seeing any used ones going for below MSRP. A lot of those came in sub-20k MSRP like the 1J, Hikaru and Roy's 1S, Max's 1A, etc. The 1D was a couple thousand more. The going rate for all those now are far higher than that. There certainly are Frontier and Delta valks, however, that I've seen go for below MSRP, even new/unopened in box like Hayate's 31J as one.

17 hours ago, WhatBoutMyStar said:

Given that Macross is such a small/niche market, I would think most Macross collectors have previously bought from or would be familiar with places like Mandarake, Yahoo Japan, etc. for used valkyries. Even retailers like AmiAmi sell used Macross items. Especially with the exchange rate lately, prices are significantly lower at these places than what you generally see listed on eBay everything factored in, so I'm not sure why someone would go to eBay as the primary secondary market for used Macross items.

The rare chance of finding something the seller doesn't know the value of? The stuff of dreams, I know. ;)

If not for the shipping, we'd all be far happier with Asia-based sources, so eBay, Mercari, even Craigslist etc. are all tempting to keep checking despite being full of late-taxed listings.

17 hours ago, WhatBoutMyStar said:

As far as DX VF-1s on the secondary market, if they're not busted up, the demand still remains very strong for them and I don't recall seeing any used ones going for below MSRP. A lot of those came in sub-20k MSRP like the 1J, Hikaru and Roy's 1S, Max's 1A, etc. The 1D was a couple thousand more. The going rate for all those now are far higher than that. There certainly are Frontier and Delta valks, however, that I've seen go for below MSRP, even new/unopened in box like Hayate's 31J as one.

Yeah, that kills me, although I understand it. The fact one dent on a box can have a bigger impact on price in Japan vs. the US is something I almost hope to see, as though I want the box, I can live with imperfections on it vs. the item itself.

People please be aware of LUNA PARK! Two and a half weeks ago I ordered seven DX Chogokin VF-1's, These where all marked as being in stock on there website! After several correspondence why my package wasn't being sent I was asked to use another store in the future... Yesterday the sent me a tracking number for my shipment, but only one of the seven items ordered is being delivered! I HIGLY SUGGEST NOT TO USE LUNA PARK! this seems to be another Nippon Yassin in the making! WARNING ABOUT USING LUNA PARK!

5 minutes ago, grogall said:

People please be aware of LUNA PARK! Two and a half weeks ago I ordered seven DX Chogokin VF-1's, These where all marked as being in stock on there website! After several correspondence why my package wasn't being sent I was asked to use another store in the future... Yesterday the sent me a tracking number for my shipment, but only one of the seven items ordered is being delivered! I HIGLY SUGGEST NOT TO USE LUNA PARK! this seems to be another Nippon Yassin in the making! WARNING ABOUT USING LUNA PARK!

Sorry to hear about that. Hope you can get refunded on the rest of the purchase.

Anyways, feel free to share your experience here as well since this post will be buried soon for new updates on releases.

I just got my Armored Valk in the mail from Luna Park, I was surprised with the fast shipping but once the shipping box was opened I really didn't have any interest in opening it. maybe it was the price or I'm just burnt out with toys and need a break. on the bright side maybe later this year when the super ostrich comes in mail I'll be reinvigorated and excited to open it up to display.  until then.

8 hours ago, grogall said:

What’s funny is Luna comes on Macross world to assure ppl and then it goes back to this. 

kinda unstable customer experience. 

3 minutes ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Could you post the complete Email Chat minus Names and Personal Info so some of us can get a better idea of how the discussion took place that lead up to you being asked to go elsewhere.

It always helps to provide more info for a better contrast of the events.

This isn't the thread for that... that goes in the BL thread.

6 hours ago, grogall said:

@Spark-O-Matic If the admins want, I can send them the correspondence with LP. But I'm not sure if it will do any good. I posted it here because we also talk about ordering here if there is not a dedicated thread for a model!

Thanks for letting us know about the situation, I know it must be frustrating to make such a large purchase then to find out nothing was in stock. if you're forced to do a charge back through your credit card they are going to ask for the chat log. I'm no expert in anything Japanese but it seems like in Japan it would be frowned opun to sell something you don't have, my only limited thoughts without more info is many things they don't really carry as large storage spaces are very expensive and they actually go out and shop for many things then ship them.

also with the huge pre-order on the ostrich they got if they had extras they might of really sold out as with the sudden website traffic. they likely do not have there website set-up for real time inventory and still do it manually that would explain why they were selling things they don't have, to me the disorganized website says everything it's a reflection of how they operate but it's just a theory without more details.

I know how stressful this must be and thank you for warning everyone. I know going forward I'll just stick with Anime Export on these sudden bandai wallet buster releases and think twice with LP.

It might be a good idea to invite them to the forum to try and help resolve the matter. I'm sure several on here could help mediate things and I suspect several here who speak/read japanese well. who knows it could help resolve things.

Spark

4 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Thanks for letting us know about the situation, I know it must be frustrating to make such a large purchase then to find out nothing was in stock. if you're forced to do a charge back through your credit card they are going to ask for the chat log. I'm no expert in anything Japanese but it seems like in Japan it would be frowned opun to sell something you don't have, my only limited thoughts without more info is many things they don't really carry as large storage spaces are very expensive and they actually go out and shop for many things then ship them.

Thanks, I did use a Visa Infinite card so the insurance if something doesn't go through is very high! (trust me, you don't have a chance  against someone using a black Visa card) As off that, I did get an email today from LP that the rest would be shipped but still no tracking #.

I think that what @Spark-O-Matic said about LP not really having stock of the items listed might have been the problem, but then it should have been listed as being able to ship in 7 days or what ever takes them too get the order filed, days! I usually (Unless Preorder) only order things from website that actually have stock! In Europe most off all companies will ship in 48 hours if the have the item in stock, if they don't people will complain and then they lose customers. but I think then LP should have said "look we don't actually have stock at the moment but we will be able to fore-fill your order within 7-10 days. But things that are marked as being in stock should ship within 48 hours... After all my money was transferred with Visa almost immediately!

Like Steve Jobs once said, "we don't want your computer to break since the money that paid for it, doesn't break either"... 

Edited by grogall

3 hours ago, Zeliard said:

Max is panel lined?

If I had to make a bet it would be panel lined with a Gundam Pen. Look at the lower nose bottom left of the landing gear. See how it bleeds in and out.

If one use's a GDP for PL for best results they still need to scribe the surface as modern cold cast injection mold dies are triple micro polished so the plastic not only has a shiny clean surface but to also resist staining. well if your going to do that you might be better off just prepping,scribing and using a small feather brush to paint the lines. GDP really works better on certain things like Gundam were bandai formulates the plastic differently as they expect the model kits to be customized.

It could also be they are using an off brand Pen as the good ones are pricey around $20 a piece. I've never used a Gundam Pen on a 1/48 these are just guess's by me nothing in concrete here.

23 minutes ago, Zeliard said:

I would love to panel line, but I don't have the skill for it. My chogokin cost me a bomb, I wouldn't want to reduce its value because of my screw up. 

Use Mechanical Pencil. Easy to erase if you make mistakes. Just make sure to topcoat it so you don't smear it. ;) 

Edited by no3Ljm

For panel lines, I used Vallejo Acrylic medium grey paint mixed with its proper thinner diluent. So easy to remove the excess paint on the toy with the diluent. It does not damage the plastic nor the tampo markings or paint of the toy. 

51 minutes ago, Zeliard said:

What is topcoat? Would a mechanical pencil be messy?

Topcoat is what you apply to protect paint, weathering, panel lining, decal, etc at the end. Don't use those topcoat that you'll see in hardware stores, etc. Get topcoat that is specialized to hobby toys like model kits such as the Mr.Hobby brand which you can get it in any Special Hobby Stores. It's available in glossy, semi-gloss, and matte.

I only suggested to use mechanical pencil, that way if you make mistake it's easy to erase it. It's not going to do big harm to the toy if you're afraid on ruining it by using other applications. Also, it's the easy one to use if you're a beginner to this weathering/panel lining method. But like takatoys suggested above, Vallejo Acrylic paints are safe. Acrylics are water-based so it's safe for plastic. And it has a special thinner that goes with it to dilute it.

If you're unsure, how about you try it on cheaper kits first just to get the feel of doing it. You can also search YouTube. There's a lot of panel wash / panel lining training videos in there. Have fun. ;)