Jump to content

Recommended Posts

They seriously didn't. Go ahead and try to find it. There are bootlegs, sure, but no official DVD or Blu-ray release. Closest you can get to owning it is to buy the digital episodes from iTunes (which doesn't help me since I de-Appled) or Amazon. Not available on Google Play.

I don't use iTunes. But I assume they let you download the HD version?

I own the soundtrack to the cartoon. I don't know why they would release the soundtrack only and not the cartoon. Seems odd.

Disney does a lot of things no one asked for, like the upcoming jungle cruise movie. I just think Tron can still fit in even if it wasn't the big cash cow they expected.

I thought those Theme Park movies did well. They can't all be Pirates. I think there are even a bunch of Theme Park comics that are popular too. I've seen the one with Figment, the Haunted Mansion, and the Mountain Train one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

So I enjoyed Tron: Legacy, never got into Uprising but I'd be down for more Tron, reboot or otherwise at this point. Especially if it's going to have more Daft Punk like the article says.

-b.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uprising was better than Legacy, IMHO. It was well written with a talented voice cast, including Bruce Boxleitner as a rather vengeful Tron and Lance Henrikson doing an excellent turn as the evil Tesler. It was definitely a darker show for Disney, along the lines of early Gargoyles.  It lived too short a life.

Legacy was ok, but didn't overwhelm me. I'm not sure where they'd go with the story.  What concerns me is that they seem more concerned about getting Daft Punk involved than any of the principle cast members. DP were apropos for the genre, sure, but honestly aren't the make or break element of a Tron film. Not to me, anyway. I didn't even know who they were until after I'd seen the film and everybody was gushing over their appearance. The dude who played Flynn's son (don't even remember the character's name) made little impression on me, obviously. Qorra, OTOH, stood out; Olivia Wilde just has presence. I wouldn't mind a film built around her character.  I think it'd be a good way to expand the universe a bit while paying homage to the first two films.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked the original Tron, I liked Legacy, and I loved Uprising.  So hearing that Disney wants to do a new one, and they want Daft Punk doing the soundtrack, is nothing but good news to me.

Well, except for the Jared Leto part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Uprising was better than Legacy, IMHO. It was well written with a talented voice cast, including Bruce Boxleitner as a rather vengeful Tron and Lance Henrikson doing an excellent turn as the evil Tesler. It was definitely a darker show for Disney, along the lines of early Gargoyles.  It lived too short a life.

Legacy was ok, but didn't overwhelm me. I'm not sure where they'd go with the story.  What concerns me is that they seem more concerned about getting Daft Punk involved than any of the principle cast members. DP were apropos for the genre, sure, but honestly aren't the make or break element of a Tron film. Not to me, anyway. I didn't even know who they were until after I'd seen the film and everybody was gushing over their appearance. The dude who played Flynn's son (don't even remember the character's name) made little impression on me, obviously. Qorra, OTOH, stood out; Olivia Wilde just has presence. I wouldn't mind a film built around her character.  I think it'd be a good way to expand the universe a bit while paying homage to the first two films.

 

The guy who played sam Flynn is actually Hayden Christensen's twin brother.  You can tell they attended the same acting school together as well...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I liked the original Tron, I liked Legacy, and I loved Uprising.  So hearing that Disney wants to do a new one, and they want Daft Punk doing the soundtrack, is nothing but good news to me.

Well, except for the Jared Leto part.

I like the original, too. it was one of the few films I got to see in the theatre as a kid, and the look and feel of that film was so ahead of its time. Visually, I think it still holds up. It's obviously not as sophisticated as today's effects, but by virtue of the limitations of computer graphics, it has a very simple but clean look that I still find appealing. The analogous world of the Grid also made for a great setting in which to tell the story of programs going about their daily routines under authoritarian control. Nearly everything about it was unique; it was a gamble in film-making, much like a lot of 80's sci-fi, that continues to resonate. It's sad that, with all the advances in film-making over the past 30-40 years, there just don't seem to be many risk-takers, and little new ground being broken; instead, Hollywood concentrates on recycling old properties over and over, ad nauseum.

I'm not a big Jared Leto fan, either. Hire Chris Pratt. Even in a bad film, he's entertaining.

5 hours ago, myk said:

The guy who played sam Flynn is actually Hayden Christensen's twin brother.  You can tell they attended the same acting school together as well...

OMG, did they want to purposely sabotage the film? After casting Jeff Bridges, Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleitner, Michael Sheen, and Daft Punk, budgetary constraints must've driven them to desperation. Like building a house on shifting sand.:(

 

If Boxleitner is done with Tron, it's gonna be a tougher sell without the eponymous character making an appearance, unless they do him completely in CG. Even so, I'd want to hear Bruce's voice.  Uprising had a great premise which was executed well, and it's a shame that Disney cancelled it before it really had a chance to expand over a few seasons' worth of storytelling. As for continuing on from Legacy, I've no ideas except soft reboot with a whole new cast, with Qorra as the new Tron, or as in Uprising, a another character taking on the mantle. 

And that's why I'm not a Hollywood writer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I like the original, too. it was one of the few films I got to see in the theatre as a kid, and the look and feel of that film was so ahead of its time. Visually, I think it still holds up. It's obviously not as sophisticated as today's effects, but by virtue of the limitations of computer graphics, it has a very simple but clean look that I still find appealing.

One of the smart things they did with Legacy was allow both it and Legacy to exist in the time periods they were made, instead of retroactively shift the original up or make a sequel in modern times set in the past.  It allows the differences in visual styles to be explained by the actual cause, more powerful computers, while leaving enough similarities that the world of the Grid still feels like a familiar evolution of the one from the original.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, I agree. I think they had a good premise for Legacy.  The idea of turning the eponymous hero into a tool of Clu's autocracy was unexpected, but interesting. I think a lot of people are put off by the younger renderings of Flynn and Tron, but it didn't bother me.  Maybe it's due to having grown up in the 80's with the limitations of effects, but I'm usually amazed by how good it actually is.  Difference of perspective, I suppose. If holography ever matures and becomes a mainstay, folks from the 2D generation will feel the same, I'm sure.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pablumatic said:

He can say he won't be back, but even Harrison Ford came back for The Rise of Skywalker. You just need a big enough paycheck.

And the number of zeros on the end of that paycheck would be nowhere near the number on Harrison's Paycheck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I'll plop this here though the blurb says it is not necessarily Tron 3.  All I know is that I am not a fan of Jared Leto but I only really remember his part in Blade Runner.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/disney-tron-movie-jared-leto-garth-davis

Yeah, I saw this too. Doesn't seem final but Disney is hurting for content for Disney+.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...