My Directorial Debut - Leprechaun Back 2 Tha Hood

hirohawa

Well after 20 months of work I have finished my first film. It is the sixth installment in the prestigious Leprechaun series and it will be coming out in a few days Dec 30th on DVD and Video.

If you get a chance please rent it or buy a copy and let me know what you think.

I wrote and Directed it and for all of you snickering out there remeber that James Cameron's first film was "Pirhanna 2 - They Fly".

**Forgot to post this- The Film has a really cool 2D Animated sequence on the origins of the Leprecahun for all you Animation fans. The work was done by two awesome animators whose work includes "The Iron Giant", "Futurama" and the recent "Looney Toons Movie"**

Edited by hirohawa

Congrats, Hiro... it's an achievement to have made anything in mainstream Hollywood, so hat's off to ya.

But I'm still wondering (and far too lazy to check on IMDB for an answer), if the title of the film is "Back 2 the Hood"... does this imply that the Leprechaun has spent time in "the Hood" before?

And is "the Hood" a good place to find Leprechauns, pots of gold, Lucky Charms, or the Lord of the Dance? Is the ghetto now America's mythological pseudo-Ireland?

Is there a "Ghetto-henge?"

I'm still rewriting my first screen plays. Took me 6 months to write and has take at least a year to proof read. Good thing someone here is indeed making progress.

I haven't seen any of the Leprechaun movies. It might be too hard for me to follow the story. :D

Congrats! That's pretty cool.

And if anybody gives you guff about Leprchan - there's a reason why we're on #6 (!). I haven't seen all of em, but I've seen most.

Next you need to revive the Puppet Master series :D

EDIT: This probably means I am now one step closer to Kevin Bacon :D

Edited by dna

It is still Warwick Davis, as the Leprechaun, star of all 6 Leprechaun films and Harry Potter as well as Wicket the Ewok in Return of the Jedi.

This Lep film has more CG effects and action than in any other Lep film made.

Thanks for all the kind words!

That guy needs to get around to making a Willow Sequel. :lol:

It is still Warwick Davis, as the Leprechaun, star of all 6 Leprechaun films and Harry Potter as well as Wicket the Ewok in Return of the Jedi. 

This Lep film has more CG effects and action than in any other Lep film made.

Thanks for all the kind words!

That guy needs to get around to making a Willow Sequel. :lol:

There are books that are sequels to Willow, but it follows Elora Danen as an adult. I'm not sure whther Willow or Madmartigan are part of it... the books are written by Chris Claremont of X-Men fame and is guidelined by George Lucas.

yeah, I've read those. they're alright, and yeah Willow is a part of them, so are the Brownies. they have a much darker fell to them than the movie does. but it would be sweet to see another Willow Movie done.

Edited by Isamu Atreides 86

yeah, I've read those. they're alright, and yeah Willow is a part of them, so are the Brownies. they have a much darker fell to them than the movie does. but it would be sweet to see another Willow Movie done.

Warwick himself would love to make another Willow movie (According to his commentary on the Willow DVD).

If only as an excuse to act without prosthetics! :D

PS: In the game Gladius, there's a enemy by the name of Kael :)

Hello Nick!

How's the car?

You don't need to see Lep 1-5. Leprechaun 6 is a completely stand alone movie. The cool thing, creatively, about this series is you can basicallly re-invent the Leprechaun any way you see fit including his powers and weaknesses. In addition I had his outfit completely overhauled to give him a more menacing look.

Also forgot to mention that there is a 2D animated sequence in the film showing the origins of the Leprecahun. I started out in Animation so I always love to have some form of Animation in my projects.

Alex-

Good to hear fom you. Thanks for the reply!

A lep screening. I would be up for that if it would not bore you guys. I am out of the country for the next few weeks until the middle of Jan on a much needed vacation. Miss going to Frank And Sons though.

Thanks

Steven

Wow, Steven.

Let me echo what the guys posting above have said - this is one hell of an achievement, and you deserve some serious kudos. Gives the rest of us would-be filmmakers hope. Looking forward to seeing Leprechaun 6! (As well as Return of the Sun Devil - any chance you could hook us all up? ;) )

As much as I would have loved to have a Valkrie in a cameo there was no way I was going to bring down one of my precious valks to the set. We where moving so fast and crazy that I'm sure that the prop guy would have broken it or gotten it stolen.

I promise to put a Macross toy or poster into the next film (as long as it is not a Period piece).

Doktor Gonzo-

Thanks. I always love to show "Return of the Sundevil"! It is my Senior film from college - it is Stop Motion animation about a Mythological Samurai.

How do you know about it?

Steven

Edited by hirohawa

Putting anything Macross into the background is a horrible idea. My dad's Art Director on JAG, and I've been trying to get him to put something macross in, I was thinking along the lines of the "kite" or UN SPACY on a fighter. But if HG spotted it, they'd go insane. Anything in a movie has to be cleared to make sure there's no copyright, and Macross stuff won't clear. However, my dad has it set up so that any electronic items bear the Anaheim Electronics logo, which isn't trademarked!

Hey Steve,

If you ever make it real big, can I go to the premiere? I've always wanted to walk down the red carpet. HAHAHA! BTW, I saw you driving on the freeway a couple months ago... you looked kinda agitated and just sped off...maybe it was the traffic gettin to ya. haha

Congrats on the film!

Doktor Gonzo-

Thanks. I always love to show "Return of the Sundevil"! It is my Senior film from college - it is Stop Motion animation about a Mythological Samurai.

How do you know about it?

Well, got your name off of IMDB - then poked around, and found this interview...

interview

you talked about it here, and it sounded pretty cool. I'm working on a masters in cg right now, and I'm very much a stop motion afficionado - my prized possession is a personalized photo/well-wish from Ray Harryhausen.... so anything stop motion tends to draw my eye. And the subject matter sounded fascinating.

A stop motion samurai??? :o

C'mon Steve, I think we're gonna have a Hirohawa Film Festival when you get back. :p

Have a good rest, lookin forward to seeing this.

Funny story about this whole deal...

I went out on a date, but before the movies we went by Steve's office where they were editting the movie. Steve was going to lend me a 1/48 Tanmen Pilot recast to check out. He showed us around the office. Getting down to business, he pulled out a tic-tac container and carefully slid the pilot to my hands where we admired it for a short second. The girl ran out of the room all freaked out. When I got back to the car I asked her what happened. She thought I was buying rock from a hollywood film guy (hehe, you know how those hollywood guys are potrayed in the movies.)