This Month Odd topic : Nose cones

Aegis!

But the YF-21 has *two* gunpods.  :)

All in all, the original's the best to me--VF-1 !

But the YF-21's gunpods look like closed umbrellas!

Graham

Full Armor VF-11C's gunpod, the bigger the BETTER!!! (and the more ammo it carries!!)

best stuff eaten by any type of engine? (birds, rocks, trees, Minmei, rubber, etc.)

Had an F-16C taken down during a trip to canada. 88-0357. Taken down by pelicans in the intake and through the canopy glass. Pilot landed in a tree and only bruised his arm.

Back to topic, the VF-22's nosecone is my pick.

I saw the craziest thing on tv one night. I believe it was shock tv. This plane was on the deck of a carrier preparing for takeoff and a crew member got sucked up into the turbin. The turbin just spit him out the other side. Crazy I tell you.

As for favorite nose cone. I vote for the VF-11. Its got that bird of prey look to it. It almost looks like a beak.

Wow, Graham, I'm surprised you restrained from making another "hide the nosecone" joke! :lol:

As for gunpods, I have to go with an uncommon choice, the alternate VF-1 gunpod, as seen on Design Works's cover. But the 17's rocks. As does that valk overall.

I actually like that gunpod too.

I forgot about it, or I might have called that one.

best stuff eaten by any type of engine? (birds, rocks, trees, Minmei, rubber, etc.)

Had an F-16C taken down during a trip to canada. 88-0357. Taken down by pelicans in the intake and through the canopy glass. Pilot landed in a tree and only bruised his arm.

I saw the craziest thing on tv one night. I believe it was shock tv. This plane was on the deck of a carrier preparing for takeoff and a crew member got sucked up into the turbin. The turbin just spit him out the other side. Crazy I tell you.

As for favorite nose cone. I vote for the VF-11. Its got that bird of prey look to it. It almost looks like a beak.

The guy who got sucked in the "carrier plane"..did he survive ?

Depends on the incident. I know at least one did. I would suspect they ran a survivor story, so people got the "OMG HE WENT THROUGH A JET ENGINE AND LIVED!" factor. Lot more fun than "this man was thrown into a blender that travels at mach 1.5".

A couple of broke ribs and some burns. There was probably more damage done to the plane.

A couple of broke ribs and some burns. There was probably more damage done to the plane.

I don't know if that is even possible. Anything that goes in there is coming out pureed out the other end. Wether it's an F-14, or a C-5 engine. You get sucked in that intake, and make it to the blades = you die. There's no gap to go around the blades. It's just straight through the blender. Then get cooked from the thrust exhaust.

I have seen shots of guys that got sucked in and lived, but they either caught the edge, or something snagged before they got to the blades.

I don't know if that is even possible. Anything that goes in there is coming out pureed out the other end. Wether it's an F-14, or a C-5 engine. You get sucked in that intake, and make it to the blades = you die. There's no gap to go around the blades. It's just straight through the blender. Then get cooked from the thrust exhaust.

I have seen shots of guys that got sucked in and lived, but they either caught the edge, or something snagged before they got to the blades.

Most Navy and Marine mechanics wear what's called a cranial. It looks almost like a leather flying helmet only it's been designed to shatter the trubine blades of an engine as it travels through it, thus any mechanic that gets sucked in would remove all the turbine blades in the path with thier head as they went through. As long as the engine is big enough for them to fit through they could make it out alive (probably some nasty burns and broken bones, but nothing a stay in a hospital could fix). Remember the turbine blades most jet engines are very stiff but also pretty brittle and can shatter when even small rocks are parts get sucked in (the technical term is FOD).

I don't know if that is even possible.  Anything that goes in there is coming out pureed out the other end.  Wether it's an F-14, or a C-5 engine.  You get sucked in that intake, and make it to the blades = you die.  There's no gap to go around the blades.  It's just straight through the blender.  Then get cooked from the thrust exhaust.

Most Navy and Marine mechanics wear what's called a cranial. It looks almost like a leather flying helmet only it's been designed to shatter the trubine blades of an engine as it travels through it, thus any mechanic that gets sucked in would remove all the turbine blades in the path with thier head as they went through. As long as the engine is big enough for them to fit through they could make it out alive (probably some nasty burns and broken bones, but nothing a stay in a hospital could fix). Remember the turbine blades most jet engines are very stiff but also pretty brittle and can shatter when even small rocks are parts get sucked in (the technical term is FOD).

Yeah, I remember all about FOD. We went through 10 F-16 engines in 6 weeks in Kuwait with the jets sucking crap up off the the runway there. Being in Egress, we had to deal with FOD in the cockpits, and raise or remove the Ejection Seat every time a screw or pen got lost under there.

I have never heard of that helmet the navy/marines wear being able to break the blades. Seriously?? :blink: That's pretty damn cool if that is actualy the case. Even with that though I would still consider it a miracle for someone to survive that. Even if the blades break, you could get hit with a piece of the shrapnel. The force of that would still be pretty heavy on your head, and you would have to be dead on straight going through for that to work. I'm talking "Yes, I'm saying God came and stopped those mother F$^%$ bullets" type miracle.

I have never heard of that helmet the navy/marines wear being able to break the blades. Seriously?? :blink: That's pretty damn cool if that is actualy the case. Even with that though I would still consider it a miracle for someone to survive that. Even if the blades break, you could get hit with a piece of the shrapnel. The force of that would still be pretty heavy on your head, and you would have to be dead on straight going through for that to work. I'm talking "Yes, I'm saying God came and stopped those mother F$^%$ bullets" type miracle.

I work with a guy who was an avionics tech on Harriers, he was the one who told me about them. And you're right, for every thing to work right and spit you out the other side intact would be a miracle, I think it's more intended to up your chances of survival in case that kind of thing happens. Incedentally I think I've seen the video in question, I beilieve the aircraft that the guy got sucked into was an A-6 (or EA-6).

I have never heard of that helmet the navy/marines wear being able to break the blades.  Seriously?? :blink:  That's pretty damn cool if that is actualy the case.  Even with that though I would still consider it a miracle for someone to survive that.  Even if the blades break, you could get hit with a piece of the shrapnel.  The force of that would still be pretty heavy on your head, and you would have to be dead on straight going through for that to work.  I'm talking "Yes, I'm saying God came and stopped those mother F$^%$ bullets" type miracle.

I work with a guy who was an avionics tech on Harriers, he was the one who told me about them. And you're right, for every thing to work right and spit you out the other side intact would be a miracle, I think it's more intended to up your chances of survival in case that kind of thing happens. Incedentally I think I've seen the video in question, I beilieve the aircraft that the guy got sucked into was an A-6 (or EA-6).

Yeah, I agree on the up the probability point. Every little bit helps. And I just thought they were hearing protection and a hardhat helmet put together.

I need to do a search and see if I can find that footage. That would be crazy to see.

I saw this footage too. He lived because he didn't get spit out at the other end. What happened was he got sucked into the engine, the helmet hit the blades first and shattered it. The plane immediately went to emergency shutdown. Amazingly, the guy crawled out again of the same area where he got sucked in. They even interviewed the guy after a few days :).

gian7675 :)

This whole topic - favorite nosecones, huge gunpods, getting sucked into engines . . . it's all so FREUDIAN somehow.

Which representation of the HUGE HORKIN MAIN PARTICLE CANNON on the Macross itself did you like better, the DYRL or the TV-series version?

And any ladies that might by any chance meander in - there is a very good reason why MWers are very vocal about having a "bigger is better" philosophy . . . .

You might call it a personal reflection . . . .

Ahem. Best nosecone: SV-51 it looks savage.

Best Gunpod: Armored VF-11 - it gets instant initiative in any situation because the enemy is going "Oh my God, it's so . . . . big."

Best Macross Location: Burger Po Po - so reminiscient of classic diner paintings . . .

Best BIG HORKING GUN: DYRL Macross - it looks so much more rugged and lethal.

I tried not to be silly. I really did. Just . . . . can't . . . . help . . . silliness . . .

I really like the red sections on either side.  It just makes the nose look better.  Gives it more detail than just the typical bland dome.

You mean the 'Hybrid Sensors'.

Graham

Actually, those are forward-looking inferred (FLIR) cameras in the nosecone fairings (Fighter mode). The "composite sensor units" are on the arms above the manipulators in Battroid mode.

Edited by Nanashi

I really like the red sections on either side.  It just makes the nose look better.  Gives it more detail than just the typical bland dome.

Graham

Actually, those are forward-looking inferred (FLIR) cameras in the nosecone fairings (Fighter mode). The "composite sensor units" are on the arms above the manipulators in Battroid mode.

WJ, as we both know, on the VF-1, the nose blisters contain FLIR sensors, but remember, the original poster 'Mr March', was referring to the YF-19. On the YF-19, the red color blisters on each side of the nose are definitely Hybrid Sensors.

The Macross Compendium has the following to say about the YF-19: -

AVIONICS: Super AI control avionics. HUD (projected onto canopy), side-stick controller, two rear (back) monitors, radar, wrap-around imaging monitor screens in all variable modes. Active stealth system. Head-turret-mounted sensor system. Two hybrid sensor units directly below and to the the fore of the canopy. Sensors embedded in conformal pads lining manipulator.

Also refer to the following picture from TIAS Macross Plus Movie Edition (incorrectly spelt as 'Hiblid)'.

Graham

Graham

WJ, as we both know, on the VF-1, the nose blisters contain FLIR sensors, but remember, the original poster 'Mr March', was referring to the YF-19. On the YF-19, the red color blisters on each side of the nose are definitely Hybrid Sensors.

The Macross Compendium has the following to say about the YF-19: -

AVIONICS: Super AI control avionics. HUD (projected onto canopy), side-stick controller, two rear (back) monitors, radar, wrap-around imaging monitor screens in all variable modes. Active stealth system. Head-turret-mounted sensor system. Two hybrid sensor units directly below and to the the fore of the canopy. Sensors embedded in conformal pads lining manipulator.

Also refer to the following picture from TIAS Macross Plus Movie Edition (incorrectly spelt as 'Hiblid)'.

Graham

I know about the YF-19's hybrid sensors. That's what I get for not reading the posts... lol actually, I've had the VF-1 in my mind a lot lately. The Tanaka and Kawamori's cutaway drawings and location and such of the composite sensors and the verniers -- also how some people get confused about how many veriners there are and where they are/which was which. Its all very interesting.