HLJ is pro-scalpers?!?!?

Lupin The Third

I posted this in the VF-171 CF thread but thought I'd put it here so everyone else could see. Last night there was some debate as to whether HLJ actually allowe purchases of up to 10 of the Valks....

Hi,

Thank you for writing in.

The items went up and sold out almost immediately. There is huge demand and low

supply for these items, and as we sell to customers around the world, they can

go fast.

The limit on these items was 10 each, although we sometimes do set lower limits.

Thank you for shopping at HobbyLink Japan! We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,

Brian Keaney

HobbyLink Japan

www.hlj.com

Stunning. I thought these guys had a little respect for the consumer but I guess not. I will be doing my very best to never purchase from them if an item is available elsewhere from this point on.

EDIT: The suggestion was made in the other thread that HLJ should cancel any of large qty orders and reduce the item count to 2-3 and reopen orders so actual customers can make a purchase. My suggestion is that you guys and gals let them know how infuriated you are with the way they handled this and that they should do exactly that to give everyone a fair chance at purchasing rather than all the stock going directly to scalpers.

products@hlj.com

scott@hlj.com

Even if it makes no difference this time maybe they will reconsider if folks are angry enough with furture release. And certainly NOTHING will change about this fubar system unless you directly let them know your dissatisfaction instead of just posting on a message board.

EDIT: Not posting again after this but wanted to clarify something. I DO have 5 on reserve across multiple vendors, I would prefer to get the 3 that I want from a single vendor; hence I tried to get my orders in with HLJ last night. I would also prefer not to pay over retail (my NY preorders) or CDJs overly high shipping. Had I gotten three units at HLJ I'd have dropped my other preorders, knowing that they are one of the most dependable and three were what I want. I also fully expect, with the way these preorders have run thus far, that someone will not come through with one of my orders. I already mentioned, on Tuesday I believe it was, that if all my orders actually did come through I would look to either trade the couple of extra units with a fellow forum member or pass them on at my cost. The fact that this makes me a bad guy now is astounding; especially given that I'm just trying to point out that if we are vocal to HLJ about their preorder process they might actually reconsider the way they do these orders and more of you would have gotten a preorder last night. Sorry I tried to help, I won't bother with this thread again. Moderators feel free to lock or delete, or everyone just keep attacking me if that's what everyone prefers....whatever.

Edited by Lupin The Third

Not sure if you're telling us or asking but I don't buy it.

Like others have said, we have no idea the quantity each buyer purchased.

It's a bit ignorant to have a limit of 10 on items like this with low supply and high demand. If they had made a limit of 3, do you really think they would be around for that much longer?

Hightly doubtful.

Ultimately the problem is with Bandai.

I posted this in the VF-171 CF thread but thought I'd put it here so everyone else could see. Last night there was some debate as to whether HLJ actually allowe purchases of up to 10 of the Valks.... Stunning. I thought these guys had a little respect for the consumer but I guess not. I will be doing my very best to never purchase from them if an item is available elsewhere from this point on.

Very interesting? I too have noticed the minute it goes up for sale, or when I get an notice its gone, like seconds after I get the email notification and I click on it, its gone.

Very Interesting in deed

Strangely, the super parts on sites like Tokyo Hunter didn't sell out anywhere nearly as fast. Still, 1) HLJ should know better, and 2) frakk Bandai.

and 2) Fcuk Bandai.

Fixed

Sounds to me like a Bandai fault. I'm mean, even the 4G didn't sold out that quickly.

That's due to the price. If it was hovering around the 200 range then most likely but without a doubt Yamato would make more in different colors for other people to get it

The problem lies with Bandai supplying online shops with little to no stock. All online shops sell out within seconds, it's not just HLJ.

Not so sure about that. A lot of people were able to get it here for decent prices. I want another v2 with the super armor pants and unless I want to pay an ebayer 300 bucks for the super pants alone you can assume that he got it from HLJ

I'm pretty sure HLJ is just pro making money. Unlike Bandai it seems.

Selling out in 1 min with half your customers being scalpers who bought 10, vs selling out in 5 mins to "normal" customers who bought 1 or 2 is the same amount of revenue. But one option has more happy customers to come back in the future.

The problem lies with Bandai supplying online shops with little to no stock.

All online shops sell out within seconds, it's not just HLJ.

Obviously. But at least places like CDJ and Amiami are limiting to 1 per customer so that everyone has a fair shot at getting one.

Not sure if you're telling us or asking but I don't buy it.

Like others have said, we have no idea the quantity each buyer purchased.

It's a bit ignorant to have a limit of 10 on items like this with low supply and high demand. If they had made a limit of 3, do you really think they would be around for that much longer?

Hightly doubtful.

Ultimately the problem is with Bandai.

"Don't buy it"? Don't buy what, that HLJ allowed up to 10 to be purchased by scalpers just like they told me they did....ok, lol....

I'm not saying they would have lasted much longer if limited to 3 each. I'm saying it would be fair and RESPECTFUL to the customers to actually have a slim chance in hell of ordering rather than HLJ directly servicing scalpers. You're missing the point. The point is HLJ just made alot of folks pay $300+ on ebay by putting these in the hands of scalpers by allowing such a high volume qty. Instead they could have actually put some of those Valks into the hands of the actual consumer and made just as much money as selling them to the scalpers; but at least they would have taken care of their actual customers!

Obviously. But at least places like CDJ and Amiami are limiting to 1 per customer so that everyone has a fair shot at getting one.

"Don't buy it"? Don't buy what, that HLJ allowed up to 10 to be purchased by scalpers just like they told me they did....ok, lol....

I'm not saying they would have lasted much longer if limited to 3 each. I'm saying it would be fair and RESPECTFUL to the customers to actually have a slim chance in hell of ordering rather than HLJ directly servicing scalpers. You're missing the point. The point is HLJ just made alot of folks pay $300+ on ebay by putting these in the hands of scalpers by allowing such a high volume qty. Instead they could have actually put some of those Valks into the hands of the actual consumer and made just as much money as selling them to the scalpers; but at least they would have taken care of their actual customers!

I don't believe I'm missing the point. I personally think this whole topic is silly. I read the email several times and it says "The limit on these items was 10 each, although we sometimes do set lower limits."

Where does it say anything about scalpers or who bought how many of each? Is there a part of the email you didn't post that clears this up?

You have zero evidence. Which means you are speculating because you're pissed off. But if you don't want to shop at HLJ based on a conspiracy theory, be my guest.

Hate to say it but I'm with Rabidweezil on this one. You can't blame HLJ for this. As previously stated they've put limits before and this could have been an isolated error incident. Take a deep breath and step away and think first. HLJ is not responsible who ever buys their products and sells them or resells them. Isn't that what wholesale section is for on HLJ's web page. and I'm sure those sellers can get them for a much larger discount from HLJ.

Just my two cents. Its like black friday.. you sometimes get what you want and sometimes don't. It is what it is. Move on.

and yes I will still buy from HLJ because I know they have great customer service.

Yeah...this changes nothing for me because there's no real proof here. The 10 unit limit is a point of interest and nothin more. What it comes down to is that we don't know who bought how many and scalpers aren't gonna tell you where they purchased from.

I still love hlj until there is undeniable truth that they kick puppies or something :)

Edited by xrentonx

The statement they made: "There is huge demand and low supply for these items, and as we sell to customers around the world, they can go fast." Tells me Bandai are ones causing the shortage. I can't blame HLJ for this. I do feel Bandai should get their heads out of their asses and make more of the items people want. It's a win win all around. They make money, and collectors get what they want.

Edited by Loop

I don't believe I'm missing the point. I personally think this whole topic is silly. I read the email several times and it says "The limit on these items was 10 each, although we sometimes do set lower limits."

Where does it say anything about scalpers or who bought how many of each? Is there a part of the email you didn't post that clears this up?

You have zero evidence. Which means you are speculating because you're pissed off. But if you don't want to shop at HLJ based on a conspiracy theory, be my guest.

Obviosuly they did not say, "why yes we sold 12 batches of 10 to scalpers and 10 additional units individually to actual customers". I have no idea what the distribution on these actually was and obviously HLJ isn't going to give out those specifics. My point is that, unlike in the past where product was limited to give everyone a chance to buy, they completely opened it up to scalpers taking most of the inventory by allowing such huge purchases.

I only sent the email inquiring how they handled the orders since everyone in the 171 CF thread was going ballistic about what a bunch of BS it was that they allowed up to 10 units to be purchased, and virtually no one had gotten in a preorder. I actually thought they were wrong, and that HLJ did in fact limit qty as with previous releases. I was actually trying to clear HLJ's name becuase I thought there was no way a reputable company would allow such large purchases that would encourage scalpers to get most of the stock. Then they confirmed to me that they did in fact handle the preorders that way. It really is only common sense that many forum members here who couldn't get in a preorder last night were screwed by this absurd, pro-scalper handling of the preorders. HLJ could have filled many orders for customers here but instead ensured that these same customers will have to buy the units off ebay for twice retail. Wow....that's great customer service!

I actually have my preorders in, so I'm not pissed as you claim. But it is insulting to me, and everyone else, as a customer that a company would go out of their way to take a product that they know is limited and being scalped at absurd prices and open up sales in a manner that benefits the same people who have halped make this such a difficult and frustrating process. There's no conspiracy in that, if anyone is wearing a tinfoil hat here it is you with your complete obliviousness to the scenario that HLJ created with their sloppy handling of the preorders.

Hate to say it but I'm with Rabidweezil on this one. You can't blame HLJ for this. As previously stated they've put limits before and this could have been an isolated error incident. Take a deep breath and step away and think first. HLJ is not responsible who ever buys their products and sells them or resells them. Isn't that what wholesale section is for on HLJ's web page. and I'm sure those sellers can get them for a much larger discount from HLJ.

Just my two cents. Its like black friday.. you sometimes get what you want and sometimes don't. It is what it is. Move on.

and yes I will still buy from HLJ because I know they have great customer service.

I do not blame HLJ for what happens after they sell a product...that would be the same flawed logic that wrongly claims gun store owners cause firearm deaths. That simply is not true. However HLJ could, without even going out of their way, try to make sure that the bulk of the stock isn't bought up by the scalpers and instead actualy goes to their regular customers. Great customer service when conduct preorders like this? Wow...I'd hate to see bad customer service. :lol:

So basically what I'm taking from this is that you guys think it's cool that HLJ allowed orders of up to 10 from folks who want to scalp even though most forum members missed out....I guess I have nothing else to say here. I've never heard anything so stunningly stupid from the same people who crap a brick when they can't preorder a frakking toy. You guys get what you deserve and I'm just going to lauch every time one of you bitches like a little girl becuase you didn't get your new toy. :lol:

To those of you who didn't get one I'd let HLJ know your dissatisfaction at the email address above or the same will happen with the VF-27, RVF, Vajra, etc. For those of you who think this is some "conspiracy" I apologize for even wasting a second trying to help out fellow collectors. I have my 5 units on reserve (2 of which I will be trading here at release so an actual fan gets it rather than a scalper) so I guess that's all I should care about. Sorry that I tried to help you guys out.

Edited by Lupin The Third

I don't know it is what it is. I'm tired. It felt like the time I went looking for the batman dark knight limited ed. cowl with blu ray at walmart and they were all sold out since people were buying them in dozens and putting them up on ebay. But I eventually got one for the exact same price. You panic you will spend. You wait and not care. It will eventually be available. If not, it is what it is. Move on. I'm not even going to touch that gun store topic which I had a feeling was going to come up.

Its the internet anyone can post what they want. Up to you if you want to agree or not. Glad you got your "pre orders" in. -_-

tl:dr

Lupin the third makes long winded aggro posts about how pissed off he is that he can't wast money on overpriced toys and then get's even more agro when he doesn't get the outpouring of sympathy he wants. again.

did I miss anything?

:edit:

oh right, and F**k Bandai.

keep up the good work guys.

Edited by anime52k8

A few months ago I received a SH Monsterarts King Ghidorah (retail about $95) from HLJ that was so seriously defective it fell apart when I touched it. So I emailed them fully expecting a "tough sh*t"

Instead they asked I ship the figure back. They not only reimbursed me for that, but sent me a new King Ghidorah via EMS shipping again at their expense.

Because of customer service like that, it will take more then one person raging about supporting scalpers (again with absolutely NO proof of this) to sway me from shopping there.

Whatever works for you though bro

tl:dr

Lupin the third makes long winded aggro posts about how pissed off he is that he can't wast money on overpriced toys and then get's even more agro when he doesn't get the outpouring of sympathy he wants. again.

did I miss anything?

:edit:

oh right, and F**k Bandai.

keep up the good work guys.

Don't forget, toy scalping is like killing someone with a gun.

So basically what I'm taking from this is that you guys think it's cool that HLJ allowed orders of up to 10 from folks who want to scalp even though most forum members missed out....I guess I have nothing else to say here. I've never heard anything so stunningly stupid from the same people who crap a brick when they can't preorder a frakking toy. You guys get what you deserve and I'm just going to lauch every time one of you bitches like a little girl becuase you didn't get your new toy. :lol:/>

To those of you who didn't get one I'd let HLJ know your dissatisfaction at the email address above or the same will happen with the VF-27, RVF, Vajra, etc. For those of you who think this is some "conspiracy" I apologize for even wasting a second trying to help out fellow collectors. I have my 5 units on reserve (2 of which I will be trading here at release so an actual fan gets it rather than a scalper) so I guess that's all I should care about. Sorry that I tried to help you guys out.

Even if you initially had a point, you undermine it with posts like this. The fact is you have no idea who bought what and in what quantities. Your question to HLJ was asked and answered, leave it at that. You're raging at HLJ but in the same breath happy to give them your money since you got an order in.

Just let it alone and don't have a fit if people don't agree with your assertions.

-b.

Eugi stay out of this thread!!! LOL jk...

I was actually referencing something that was said in this thread:

I do not blame HLJ for what happens after they sell a product...that would be the same flawed logic that wrongly claims gun store owners cause firearm deaths. That simply is not true. However HLJ could, without even going out of their way, try to make sure that the bulk of the stock isn't bought up by the scalpers and instead actualy goes to their regular customers. Great customer service when conduct preorders like this? Wow...I'd hate to see bad customer service. :lol:

I think someone needs to take a BIG step back and calm down.

I know.. just teasing..

Now no more gasoline on the fire please.....

Oh wait HLJ jus opened preorders again!!!... Rush rush rush

I'll leave the thread with this then, people who buy multiples of toys are just like people who run puppy mills!!!

like that, but with toys.

I think you should calm down and wait till April for the product to be launched. HLJ will definitely set a 1 per customer limit then so the purchase window will be opened longer than 15 minutes. Besides, considering how HLJ has been operating in the past they might just open up additional preorders within the next few days once they have additional stock. Even Nippon-Yassan managed to get additional stocks but the fact that they can keep pre-orders open for that long is a bit dodgy.

Just be patient and wait. :D

hey I have multiples of things =( I don't own a puppy though.

Damn Eugi i was already tired, now you got me all depressed and more tired with the music. -,-

<l~~~~ Runs to next room and asks his toys if he abuses them.

Again you can donate and I'll send a picture of a Macross toy that shows its being taken care of. I think that's what I got from watching the vid.

So basically what I'm taking from this is that you guys think it's cool that HLJ allowed orders of up to 10 from folks who want to scalp even though most forum members missed out....I guess I have nothing else to say here. I've never heard anything so stunningly stupid from the same people who crap a brick when they can't preorder a frakking toy. You guys get what you deserve and I'm just going to lauch every time one of you bitches like a little girl becuase you didn't get your new toy. :lol:

Wait, you ordered 5??

lol...ok

Lmao exactly

Anyway I'm not saying HLJ made the right call in this instance, I just don't see the need to start boycotting them. For those that feel cheated, a simple email explaining the issue they have with the 10 item limit and requesting that HLJ rethink such high limits for high demand-low supply products in the future should be enough. It's not like HLJ is purposefully dicking it's customers around, at least there's no evidence to support that conclusion.

Edited by Raptor One