The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

What you're hearing sounds like a load of crap. It's not very realistic. Sure, some stores might be coming up with prices before they actually know what it's going to be, but Takara would have no idea how many they're selling at those prices so they'd put themselves in a terrible position. I'm sure the bigger stores are taking conservative best guesses at pricing and if they guess wrong the preorders will just get cancelled when buyers see better prices elsewhere.

Since you don't own a transformers retail operation... sorry but I'll take his word over yours. haha. I don't think you're really giving it much thought either.

It's pretty simple, and makes plenty of sense. The proof is there. MP wheeljack was announced a few months back, but Takara hasn't officially announced a price. That's why hardly any sites have him up for oder. BBTS already has it up for $80 dollars with no real clue what it will be. The big sites rush to throw up a pre-order and people buy them. They are afraid to miss out. In the case of a limited item like MP-10 reissue, BBTS set it at $300 before Takara even set the price. Takara knows they are going to sell them.. they are highly collectible. But Takara's distributor sits on the side waiting to see what kind of rate to charge so they don't get burned.

Their is blame on both sides, but it's the big retailers here setting the prices so high.

Most consumers are NOT savvy. That's how Ebay exists and thrives, and how BBTS stays in business. They go with what's easy and what they know. Also, people who post on forums like us and search for deals are the vocal minority.

But it did in-fact happen earlier this year before you were even into MP collecting, as I mentioned before. BBTS set soundwave at like $180, then jacked the price up to $220 and people went ape crap. They don't know the price and pretty much go on secondary prices.

Edited by Gakken85

While I understand there have been instances where big toy stores have guessed the price of an upcoming release wrong, the idea that the manufacturer uses preorders based on guessed pricing to determine final pricing is extremely far fetched. Again, the manufacturer is the only one in that instance who assumes risk so they wouldn't do it. Now, is it possible they've gotten savvy and increased their profit margins because they see that people are willing to pay more? Sure. It's also possible that they've got a lot going on so they've reduced their production runs so they've likewise increased their margin per unit. I think it's far more likely that the bigger toy stores hear more information than the little toy stores so they have a better idea of what the price will be.

Takara is not Hasbro Asia.

Takara = Japanese

Hasbro Asia is a joint US/China branch.

Hence why the normal Takara retailers in Japan are not

Carrying Hasbro Asia.

Hasbro Asia exclusives have nothing to with Takara except using their molds

Under contract with Hasbro.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Ooooo that's amazing. i need to get ultra magnus.

august 2014, at least it will arrive after the yf19 so i can get some savings..

Edited by davidwhangchoi

skullmilitia: Thanks for explaining the differences between Takara and Hasbro Asia. This version of MP-11 may not be for me. I appreciate your other advice in this thread too. Saving money is always a good thing.

mikeszekely: Magnus!

August 2014 is a long wait. I'm looking forward to more news (and more pre-order opportunities).

Edited by technoblue

It will be interesting to see how they made it work.

The g1 toy trailer is hardly a car carrier.

That's your concern? I don't need the trailer to be a car carrier; I want it to be as G1-looking as possible.

The original G1 toy was a brick in bot mode, though, with no articulation except bending at the elbows and shoulders that could rotate (but not swing out). Not only did his legs have zero articulation, they were physically stuck together. And have you seen him from behind?

It will be interesting to see how they made it work so that you start with a G1-style trailer and a white MP-10 for the cab and get a Masterpiece-quality G1 Ultra Magnus bot mode.

Id take a gander and try and find a transforming GIF of Magnus transforming from the cartoon

That may give some insight on how they intent to incorporate the transformation gimmick.

Since the g1 was a parts-former, and this is a "perfect transformation".

Also, I'd expect BBTS price to go up.

I highly doubt Magnus will be cheaper than MP-10.

I'll wait for HLJ, which won't open a preorder till about 5-6 months out.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i wonder how bbts finds out first about these things...

i was looking at the tfw2005 forums and they all found out by looking the bbts pre-order..

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I still want a shockwave more than anything, and I need a Meg 2.0 to go with mp 10. The coneheads and insecticons are high up on the list too. I like the bad guys. The only good guys I want, that havent been announced, are jazz, hound, the rest of the dinobots. Wonder if we will see any triple changers or combiners in the near future.

See. BBTS just put up Ultra Magnus for $289 dollars...a year too early to try to jump the gun.

Takara hasn't announced crap. They haven't even put out pics for Wheeljack yet! haha.

That's full ebay price before release... so its' a bad trend.

It should be like $200-230.

Get ready to go full retard.

Edited by Gakken85

See. BBTS just put up Ultra Magnus for $289 dollars...a year too early to try to jump the gun.

Takara hasn't announced crap. They haven't even put out pics for Wheeljack yet! haha.

That's full ebay price before release... so its' a bad trend.

It should be like $200-230.

Get ready to go full retard.

BBTS just lowered it a whole $10 already, now it's $279 >_>

Guest davidwhangchoi

waiting for amiami hlj and stuff. definately getting him, though i hated his conservative approach in the movie, i loved the toy. why can they revive him and not optimus.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I could really go for some KFC right now, I keep seeing ads for that go-cup thing on TV lately.

hahaha

did anyone pre-order Ultra Magnus yet?

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11771&mode=retail

i'm reading the tfw2005 boards and people are already pre-ordering...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Nope. I am sitting tight and waiting for the import shops to set up pre-orders this time.

I plan to do the same with Jackie. Bee is a wait and see purchase.

I'm really curious about how Takara will make the G1 mini into a Masterpiece.

hahaha

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11771&mode=retail

i'm reading the tfw2005 boards and people are already pre-ordering...

Thats why they do it at that jacked up price. They are trying to corner the PO market. It's just playing off peoples desire to guarantee one.

Wheeljack hasn't even popped up on the Japanese sights. We won't see a non-ebay priced UM for months.

Edited by Gakken85

Guest davidwhangchoi

Thats why they do it at that jacked up price. They are trying to corner the PO market. It's just playing off peoples desire to guarantee one.

Wheeljack hasn't even popped up on the Japanese sights. We won't see a non-ebay priced UM for months.

100% agree they try to beat everyone to the punch trying to secure pre-orders... by making up a price and opening up pre-orders before any news or photos are released.

it's akin to if someone posting pre-orders for the yf-19 as soon as they found the "Coming Soon in 2014" yf-19 promo in the macross plus blu ray jacket

Yup. It's akin to somebody putting up Preorders for the YF-19 for like $400. So what is arcadia going to do? Sell it to them for cost at less than $200? Idk, everybody has to make money, but they are gouging and screwing up the whole market. Obviously I don't think a piece like UM should be $100. I've argued against under pricing... but yeah this is screwing with the natural supply and demand. But apparently some people don't understand.

Oh well.. I look forward to it either way.