The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Probably not til later this year I would imagine. I doubt the transformation is completely worked out.

That looks like darker material than the finished work-ups, might just be a sculpted version of robot mode without a transformation.

27445523d1402745834-tokyo-toy-show-14-co

Looks like he's taller than UM

Edited by Gakken85

The back inner part of Magnus’s trailer is red, so when he transform, those red suppose to be covered in blue and white. But since the toy lack that coverage, you will get this red inner legs. The red bumper looks out of place, since they’re going with toon-colored, this is what we will get. It appears that his gun is stored between his arms.

I may have to do some repaint on those legs, I don't like those red legs either. And the red bumper.

I understand that his trailer bed is supposed to be red. But when you look at this image...

MP22EH2.jpg

...the trailer bed doesn't have a consistent color so it is already not animation accurate. On the other hand if everything in the back would be blue instead of red you would have an accurate robot-mode, a more consistent trailer and the ugly gaps in the lower legs would be not as noticeable. With the red you just draw attention to the parts you want to hide (in bot mode).

What I don't understand is what Takara gets from the decisions they make. To me it seems like they accumulate bad decisions to make Magnus more and more undesirable . I don't think that this is what Takara is aiming for.

To cut a long story short: inconsistent alt-mode and inconsistent robot-mode -> why not focus on one accurate mode???

I know Americans aren't the target audience. In fact, MP Spacebrick exists because he won some Japanese fan vote.

That doesn't explain why Gakken, who I'm fairly certain is American, complains about Hot Rod, Blurr, and even Ironhide, then acts like Spacebrick is the greatest thing ever and can't fathom why members of a predominately American message board are pretty meh on it. If he grew up in Asia, I wouldn't be teasing him about it.

Yes.

I call it completionist Nostalgia. I grew up watching Robotech every day coming home from school, and in magazines I would see other anime that I had no chance of watching at the time because it wasn't shown on TV. In my area we had Mazinger, Robotech, and Voltron.

Of course I watched G I Joe and Transformers after school too, when I was even younger. My Brother and I got the early 80's formers toys up until 87 or 88.

When I started reading comics and seeing Newtype magazines I would see ads for Harlock, Gundam, and Victory but there wasn't really a way to see them back then. No internet, and finding shops that imported stuff like that was hard. Basically it was a once a year comic convention in a larger city, and that was your only chance and it was expensive as hell for a kid.

Anyway, now that I'm older and everything is at my fingertips I can catch up on Layzner, Votoms, and Victory. Completionist Nostalgia. Putting together the parts of my childhood that I didn't have access too, or the money to afford.

I doubt that's a thing now, as smart kids can download anything in a second.

Anyway, I like the 87 Movie as a kid. But it not being into Cup, Blur, and Hot Rod that much is just a matter of taste. You can't deny that they didn't overhaul and change the entire feel of the 80's cartoon with the movie. The 90's were coming, and I just see Victory as sticking with the blocky robots that looked awesome. It was more Japanese influenced but that's what's so cool about it.

Edited by Gakken85

I understand that his trailer bed is supposed to be red. But when you look at this image...

MP22EH2.jpg

...the trailer bed doesn't have a consistent color so it is already not animation accurate. On the other hand if everything in the back would be blue instead of red you would have an accurate robot-mode, a more consistent trailer and the ugly gaps in the lower legs would be not as noticeable. With the red you just draw attention to the parts you want to hide (in bot mode).

What I don't understand is what Takara gets from the decisions they make. To me it seems like they accumulate bad decisions to make Magnus more and more undesirable . I don't think that this is what Takara is aiming for.

To cut a long story short: inconsistent alt-mode and inconsistent robot-mode -> why not focus on one accurate mode???

Because for most non-Super ADD, compulsive disorder people, it's close enough.

I mean we are talking about the most anime magical transformer of 1987. It's good enough.

Brain Set!

I wonder if the MP will have the same sliding face gimmick the G1 toy did, I really hope it does! Since Sabre's transformation is pretty simple they better load him down with a bunch of joints so he can pull off some great poses.

MP Star Saber is my single most desired figure, and has been what I've dreamed about since MP-01 started the "Masterpiece" line.

What I've seen gives me a lot of confidence that they're going to get it right and that it's going to be glorious. Totally get how he has no appeal for some, though. :)

I've never seen him before.

Also, found the answer to my question and answers to questions I didn't know I had yet. This dang fangled internet thing is awesome.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Transformers_TV_series

Browsed thru the entries for Headmasters, Super-God Masterforce and Victory. Interesting read, but I'm surprised that with the episodic nature of Victory it's as popular as it is (considering prior seasons/series had an overall season story arc).

Here's a hint: Americans are not the target audience for Star Saber. The three Japanese G1 shows aired all around Asia (sometimes with that terrible dub) and there is a lot of nostalgia for them even outside of Japan. In fact, the first Transformers series to air in Russia was Victory.

It's all a matter of perspective.

True. Perspective is incredibly important in all matters.

As a kid, I always figured he was the leader because of the random act of touching the Matrix first when it fell from Optimus' hands rather than it being anything innate to himself.

Regardless it's the writers fault. If they hadn't put so much angst in him, the clamor to bring back Optimus might not have been as huge. Can still be a good leader relying on Kup for advice, etc without being such a wussy.

Quoted and put in bold for truth.

I honestly hope that Space Brick is as awesome as fans want it to be, anything that sells and continues a line that I collect is aces in my book.

-b.

The Transformation is ass simple.

He just stands up and pulls his arms and legs out.

Should be hard to screw up :D

Oh hell. Then why'd he get considered for a Masterpiece release???? :p

A literal brick. Unbelievable.

-b.

Oh hell. Then why'd he get considered for a Masterpiece release???? :p

A literal brick. Unbelievable.

-b.

Because this way he can be stupid simple and still have rotating wrists and hips with two axes of motion and all that other good stuff.

I'mma wager the original Star Saber toy had about as much articulation as Powermaster Optimus Prime did, and truly lived up to the name Space Brick.

Because this way he can be stupid simple and still have rotating wrists and hips with two axes of motion and all that other good stuff.

I'mma wager the original Star Saber toy had about as much articulation as Powermaster Optimus Prime did, and truly lived up to the name Space Brick.

Ugh, yeah Powermaster Prime was a horrendously executed toy. I'm going to try not to hate on Star Saber, or rather the choice of Star Saber as an MP. An who the hell knows, I may end up liking the design once it's all said and done.

I just know that Takara had better get to work on some TF:TM and G1 designs, Autobots and Decepticons alike to help round out the line.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

so..... who's pre-ordering MP star saber?

i've never seen victory yet. (i have the japanese dvd trilogy set headmasters, victory and the other) but the dvd's are boring so i'm not up to the part where the star saber comes in.

i'm still waiting for rodimus prime to come back in japanese head masters but never saw him...

so..... who's pre-ordering MP star saber?

i've never seen victory yet. (i have the japanese dvd trilogy set headmasters, victory and the other) but the dvd's are boring so i'm not up to the part where the star saber comes in.

i'm still waiting for rodimus prime to come back in japanese head masters but never saw him...

Judging by just the posts on this page, most likely, you, Smut Peddler, eriku, JBO me (despite my b!tching) and most certainly Gakken. B)) B))

-b.

I'm gonna order 2 :D

Seriously... how can macross guys not love a transforming space ship optimus prime combiner headmaster??

At the very least it's like a mosepeda Alpha/beta combo with Stick in his cyclone acting as the headmaster :D

I'm gonna order 2 :D

Seriously... how can macross guys not love a transforming space ship optimus prime combiner headmaster??

At the very least it's like a mosepeda Alpha/beta combo with Stick in his cyclone acting as the headmaster :D

(2) of them, see!

Very easy, Space Brick - by virtue of name is not very aerodynamic. Anywhere from 50 to 90% of the appeal of Macross (Valkyrie toys) is the show features Fighters that look like they might actually be able to fly transforming while having the ability to transform into cool robots.

Runs and hides from other TF fans while screaming that I DO actually like Transformers.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

what the hell is a beta fighter going to do in the atmosphere?

i had to agree w this point. that was ridiculous. in the first episode, it was jettisoned in space when entering the atmosphere(believable). then later it can fly in earth's gravity?

back to topic, i think transformers g1 past season two, the movie was stupid. even as i kid i thought the robot dinobots was a stupid concept. why, Robot's in disguise. but all other combiners and robots were normal. once it hit's movie and season 3 there's no more "disguise,: scourge looks stupid with pink nails and what is that he forms. i just think the future thing messed up "robots in disguise."

the only new bot from the movie looked like it can be a robot in disguise was ultra magnus (and the cassettes. ratbat and Blaster's tapes.)

(i do like a few from season 3-4 but lost interest as a whole because the setting changed the premise) once optimus prime returned, i felt a bit of normalcy. especially when he says at the end of the episode: autobots roll out. it's nice to see some cars that look like cars.

i'm in for mp magnus. and any of the old autobots/cons.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Dinobots where the best thing ever. They're dinosaurs and robots, two things that are inherently awesome.

Grimlock made the movie entertaining. he could've been a polar bear and i would've liked him. i admit i played with the dinobots and my friend's place in middleschool but never was into buying animal transformers. the closest was, i brought shrapnel, (i also got triple changer headmaster apeface and powermaster double dealer because i loved their plane and missile carrier alt modes)

i do like scorpnok and triptacon but rather have the original 80's style cars and bots. i just liked the setting where the ark crashed w/ and teletran 1 made bots from current earth surroundings. it was great to see construction workers find soundwave as a tape player. lol i just didn't get into the sharktacons, junkions unicron style bots and the move away from the disguise element. even in season 1 soundwave's cybertron mode was disguised as a lamppost lol

Judging by just the posts on this page, most likely, you, Smut Peddler, eriku, JBO me (despite my b!tching) and most certainly Gakken. B)) B))

-b.

I'm actually not. MPs run too rich for my blood to buy a 'bot just because it looks kinda neat. 'Specially since I'm more or less out of space.

I'd buy a smaller version of the toy with some reasonable level of articulation if I saw one, though.

Gerwalk mode is super aerodynamic... and come on.. what the hell is a beta fighter going to do in the atmosphere?

Who said anything about Gerwalk? My post specifically stated Fighter Mode. Sorry for the off-topic reply but I just wanted the record straight. :D

i had to agree w this point. that was ridiculous. in the first episode, it was jettisoned in space when entering the atmosphere(believable). then later it can fly in earth's gravity?

back to topic, i think transformers g1 past season two, the movie was stupid. even as i kid i thought the robot dinobots was a stupid concept. why, Robot's in disguise. but all other combiners and robots were normal. once it hit's movie and season 3 there's no more "disguise,: scourge looks stupid with pink nails and what is that he forms. i just think the future thing messed up "robots in disguise."

the only new bot from the movie looked like it can be a robot in disguise was ultra magnus (and the cassettes. ratbat and Blaster's tapes.)

(i do like a few from season 3-4 but lost interest as a whole because the setting changed the premise) once optimus prime returned, i felt a bit of normalcy. especially when he says at the end of the episode: autobots roll out. it's nice to see some cars that look like cars.

i'm in for mp magnus. and any of the old autobots/cons.

No way, there were a few Transformers from TF:TM that could be considered Robots in Disguise. Namely most of the Autobots that transformed into "future" vehicles. The Decipticons created/re-designed by Unicron weren't meant to blend in with Earth vehicles, I think they were more along the lines of "better" versions of whatever they were before (not including the Insecticons that got turned into Scourge/Sweeps).

I'm actually not. MPs run too rich for my blood to buy a 'bot just because it looks kinda neat. 'Specially since I'm more or less out of space.

I'd buy a smaller version of the toy with some reasonable level of articulation if I saw one, though.

Gotcha!

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

No way, there were a few Transformers from TF:TM that could be considered Robots in Disguise. Namely most of the Autobots that transformed into "future" vehicles.

-b.

not to disagree with you, but could you post an episode where any alt mode blends in season 3-4? i don't recall seeing that happening. maybe just autobot city metroplex on earth. most of the show was in space like the movie.

maybe hotrod cause he has that muscle car motor sticking out but the others look like they're straight from cybertron.

could you post an episode where any alt mode blends in season 3-4?

"Only Human" Their bodies were commandeered by thugs and were driven around the city without raising an eyebrow.

The "futuristic" alt modes were mostly 2005 Earth vehicles. The rest were Cybertronian vehicles. Granted, the differences between Earth and Cybertronian vehicles is hard to distinguish, but they do exist.

Guest davidwhangchoi

thanks guys for pointing that out, i'm going to check out only human.

anyways mp magnus and hopefully mp 10 re-release for me.

not to disagree with you, but could you post an episode where any alt mode blends in season 3-4? i don't recall seeing that happening. maybe just autobot city metroplex on earth. most of the show was in space like the movie.

maybe hotrod cause he has that muscle car motor sticking out but the others look like they're straight from cybertron.

Looks like RD Blade beat me to the punch with an actual example, but my reply is along the lines of the movie being created in '86 with a hypothetical 2005 Earth.

At that point in time the designers could have made every single vehicle a hover craft and said "viola, here is a representation of how real-world vehicles will look 20 years into the future".

One could not reasonably say that Hot Rod, Kup or anyone else looked out of place because there's no basis in reality. Going further, if anything Prime and Ultra Magnus and a few others would have looked like classics since they were based on real-world designs of the 80's. Those guys were more out of place in the movie than the characters created for it.

-b.