The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Guest davidwhangchoi

Look what i found in my local target while getting some snacks.

photo11_zps24860afc.jpgphoto22_zps71874718.jpg

photo_zps2243144f.jpg

Look! Whirl is on the check out line :) heading to the bagging area.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Still haven't seen any from that wave. Is that the Target in Clifton?

It's the one in Edgewater, NJ

i checked everytime i went shopping and nothing... i saw one randomly next to generations Springer while getting some Outback take out and snacks, it was the only one. he looked lonely so i felt bad and picked him up

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

amazon has him for 25 if you have prime

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Generations-Anniversary-Voyager-Autobot/dp/B00E4FNW7K

hasbro toy shop has him in stock again:

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/transformers-generations-30th-anniversary-voyager-class-autobot-whirl-figure

Edited by davidwhangchoi

In my (Pittsburgh-ish) area, Whirl's been at Toys R' US for at least two or three weeks. I saw a few at Target yesterday, too.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I saw Rhinox and Whirl at my Target last night. Didn't know it was news-worthy until now.

whirl hasn't hit target in the bergen nj area till recently. at least the targets i shop at. i saw Rhinox too today while picking up Whirl.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I was asking out of curiosity.

I got a scalper Whirl a few weeks ago during the time it was out of stock at HTS. Who knew Hasbro actually restocks their online store? I did manage to get Rhinox cheap from HTS, though.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i guess Rhinox is hot? i'll pick him up... i thought he was the ironhide of beast wars then he turns bad so i lost faith in him.

I was asking out of curiosity.

I got a scalper Whirl a few weeks ago during the time it was out of stock at HTS. Who knew Hasbro actually restocks their online store? I did manage to get Rhinox cheap from HTS, though.

fun fact, Hasbro toy shop is not owned or operated by Hasbro Inc. they're an independent retailer that licenses the name.

So...I just checked out the 3rd party Transformers thread to see Citizen Stack and while I agree that the thinner front profile in robot mode is a little more appealing compared to the slightly thicker MP-22 prototype everything else on Citizen looks a little off (hard to put my finger on why) .

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you like your purchase and I can really see the appeal but from what I've seen I'll gladly stick with the Takara Masterpiece version.

-b.

Thanks Kanedas Bike. I am probably going to get MP-22 also. He'll hang out with MP-10 on my shelf and Citizen Stack with MP-1 and MP-Megatron Lol

Look what i found in my local target while getting some snacks.

photo11_zps24860afc.jpgphoto22_zps71874718.jpg

photo_zps2243144f.jpg

Look! Whirl is on the check out line :) heading to the bagging area.

nice pickup, i caved and ordered him from amazon when it was still $27. he is a good figure just not "great". i think i'm just spoiled by MPs and 3P these days. Also I kinda wish they didn't go for the bird leg design that adheres to the bay aesthetic for flying bots. it does make me miss my old g1 whirl though (which had a superior alt mode).

Guest davidwhangchoi

nice pickup, i caved and ordered him from amazon when it was still $27. he is a good figure just not "great". i think i'm just spoiled by MPs and 3P these days. Also I kinda wish they didn't go for the bird leg design that adheres to the bay aesthetic for flying bots. it does make me miss my old g1 whirl though (which had a superior alt mode).

mecha, did you pick up rhinox? was wondering your thoughts on him.

Guest davidwhangchoi

My Rhinox can't stand in bot mode :( loose knees

thanks close313 for the input, did it start out loose out of the box?

thanks close313 for the input, did it start out loose out of the box?

Yea it was loose out of the box for mine. It can stand but the knees tend to give way. But that doesnt affect the fact that its the best rhinox there is right now. Great figure, just need to fix them knees. Seems that its apretty common problem after I googled it.

Edited by close313

I just got Whirl a at target. I had to get it, I watched Dorvack as a kid, and I have to say, I always wanted one of these. Not to mention a Mugen Calibur. The knees on this toy confuse me, but that's ok xD

Edited by vlenhoff

mecha, did you pick up rhinox? was wondering your thoughts on him.

nah, i was never into beast wars stuff..

I just got Whirl a at target. I had to get it, I watched Dorvack as a kid, and I have to say, I always wanted one of these. Not to mention a Mugen Calibur. The knees on this toy confuse me, but that's ok xD

yeah they are bird style knees...you can turn them around but then he always kinda has a leaned forward look as if skiing (i think skiers wil know what i mean). i'm not THAT opposed to the bird knees because well....gerwalks have them. lol i wish they didn't do it that way though and that the feet were "skis" like the G1.

Also I kinda wish they didn't go for the bird leg design that adheres to the bay aesthetic for flying bots

It's not supposed to be a Bay reference... at least the toy isn't.

The knees on this toy confuse me

While 90% of the toy's design is an updated G1 Whirl/Dorvack, the knees and head are inspired by IDW's take on Whirl (who has become a favorite character in the already-great character-driven Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye).

post-187-0-80925000-1399079921_thumb.png

And his knees aren't simply backwards-bent like a Gerwalk (although I think they should be in his "heliped" mode. Properly transformed, there's two joints, as in the comic book.

post-187-0-39182700-1399079949_thumb.jpg

looks like the geth from mass effect

Shepard Commander. Too bad about Legion...

Don't think I would pick up Whirl if I saw him on shelves but I wouldn't mind Rhinox if there were other characters released from Beast Wars in this Generations lineup.

-b.

Rat Trap and Tankor are coming soon.

Rat Trap = cool

Tankor = (sarcastically) great, Beast Machines

Thank you though, hopefully that means there's hope for some of the cooler characters like Prime (not the surf board one), Cheetor, Tigatron, Waspinator, etc.

-b.

I still have the original Ultra class Optimus Primal and Megatron. I honestly don't believe a modern Generations release could ever be as cool as those 1990's toys.

I picked up both Whirl and Rhinox yesterday at TRU. Fortunately, I had a 20% off coupon. Anyway, my Rhinox has a loose hip joint right out of the box...looser than the knees, so he has to be posed very carefully or he'll fall over. Pretty crappy QC. Whirl came with a sticker sheet accounting for nearly all the markings, including the red stripes on the props. Pretty cheap, Hasbro. <_< I did like that one of the stickers has the pilot's name: William S. Hardy, AKA Wild Bill.

Overall, both figures are pretty good. I agree that the G1 Whirl's heli mode was better, but this one is close enough for me. The bot mode has some pretty good poseability overall, the feet being the weakest area, followed by those tong hands. Fortunately, Hasbro realized tongs are for steak, and don't do so well with pesky gun grips, so all the weapons plug into the arm or snap onto strategically located snap-points, including the landing skids. Unfortunately, the vulcan cannon that should plug into the heli's nose has a second non-folding handle that extends down well beyond the level of the skids, jacking the nose into the air. It's one of those little details that would have added to fig with only minimal change. Once you apply the stickers(the guide in the instructions suck), and reconcile the weird knees and aforementioned limitations, he's a pretty fun fig to pose , and looks pretty good, IMHO.

If you're a Beast Wars fan, I doubt we'll get a much better Rhinox. Overall, they nailed the aesthetics of the character compared to his on-screen appearance. His weapons stow into his Rhino form as well, a practice I wish all TFs shared, esp the MPs. For what we pay for these premium figs, is it too much to ask that the weapons be designed to fold and stow in their alt modes? I digress. The issues I have with my copy are: left leg hip swivel rotates almost freely without any friction. The knees are loose. The left bicep, which collapses slightly inward to hide the bot mode's elbow, slides freely without friction. Pros: looks great in both modes. Decent articulation. His guns spin by pushing a little button, and collapse slightly to stow in beast mode.

Overall, I don't regret my purchase, but I do wish Hasbro would step up their QC.

Rat Trap = cool

Tankor = (sarcastically) great, Beast Machines

Thank you though, hopefully that means there's hope for some of the cooler characters like Prime (not the surf board one), Cheetor, Tigatron, Waspinator, etc.

-b.

Waspinator is out already. He was part of the Skids and Goldfire wave.

I picked up both Whirl and Rhinox yesterday at TRU. Fortunately, I had a 20% off coupon. Anyway, my Rhinox has a loose hip joint right out of the box...looser than the knees, so he has to be posed very carefully or he'll fall over. Pretty crappy QC. Whirl came with a sticker sheet accounting for nearly all the markings, including the red stripes on the props. Pretty cheap, Hasbro. <_< I did like that one of the stickers has the pilot's name: William S. Hardy, AKA Wild Bill.

Overall, both figures are pretty good. I agree that the G1 Whirl's heli mode was better, but this one is close enough for me. The bot mode has some pretty good poseability overall, the feet being the weakest area, followed by those tong hands. Fortunately, Hasbro realized tongs are for steak, and don't do so well with pesky gun grips, so all the weapons plug into the arm or snap onto strategically located snap-points, including the landing skids. Unfortunately, the vulcan cannon that should plug into the heli's nose has a second non-folding handle that extends down well beyond the level of the skids, jacking the nose into the air. It's one of those little details that would have added to fig with only minimal change. Once you apply the stickers(the guide in the instructions suck), and reconcile the weird knees and aforementioned limitations, he's a pretty fun fig to pose , and looks pretty good, IMHO.

If you're a Beast Wars fan, I doubt we'll get a much better Rhinox. Overall, they nailed the aesthetics of the character compared to his on-screen appearance. His weapons stow into his Rhino form as well, a practice I wish all TFs shared, esp the MPs. For what we pay for these premium figs, is it too much to ask that the weapons be designed to fold and stow in their alt modes? I digress. The issues I have with my copy are: left leg hip swivel rotates almost freely without any friction. The knees are loose. The left bicep, which collapses slightly inward to hide the bot mode's elbow, slides freely without friction. Pros: looks great in both modes. Decent articulation. His guns spin by pushing a little button, and collapse slightly to stow in beast mode.

Overall, I don't regret my purchase, but I do wish Hasbro would step up their QC.

This is basically every single release in the last two years. In fact I took out all my generations figures. I can't even display half of them.

Skids won't stand, his hips, knees and ankles are so damn loose he can't even just stand straight up. That's not even including Skids arm which can barely hold his weapons up.

then the rest...

Sandstorm = loose head (surprised it doesn't fall off), loose shoulders

Rhinox = loose knees and hips

Whirl = loose shoulders and hips

Orange loader guy = shoulders loose

Waspinator = loose hips (won't stand on his own)

That's basically when i threw them in a tote, to eventually sell at a garage sale.

Now I only buy Tak MP's.

Guest davidwhangchoi

cool thanks for the guide

This is basically every single release in the last two years. In fact I took out all my generations figures. I can't even display half of them.

Skids won't stand, his hips, knees and ankles are so damn loose he can't even just stand straight up. That's not even including Skids arm which can barely hold his weapons up.

then the rest...

Whirl's shoulders can actually be pushed into his torso a bit. That makes his shoulders seem much less loose.

and reconcile the weird knees

His knees aren't weird and don't need reconciling! Those are the exact knees he's had for the last two+ years in More Than Meets the Eye, which would still be the absolute best version of him in fiction even if it's only competition wasn't he blurb on the back of the G1 toy's box. Seriously, just read the comic book already! It takes a character who was never in the cartoon and only briefly in the Marvel run and turns him into a main (and interesting at that) character, to the point that even though I actually had a G1 Whirl back in the day I wish the Generations toy were even more like the IDW comic, with cockpit parallel to the ground in bot mode, skinnier legs, thicker upper body, forearm rotors, chest guns, and rotor blades that for V-shaped wings on his back.

then the rest...

That's basically when i threw them in a tote, to eventually sell at a garage sale.

Now I only buy Tak MP's.

Of the ones off that list that I have, only Rhinox has a problem. Skids and Whirl are issue free, no loose joints at all. Once you swap Skids hip joints around he's a brilliant little toy :)

Whirl's shoulders can actually be pushed into his torso a bit. That makes his shoulders seem much less loose. His knees aren't weird and don't need reconciling! Those are the exact knees he's had for the last two+ years in More Than Meets the Eye, which would still be the absolute best version of him in fiction even if it's only competition wasn't he blurb on the back of the G1 toy's box. Seriously, just read the comic book already! It takes a character who was never in the cartoon and only briefly in the Marvel run and turns him into a main (and interesting at that) character, to the point that even though I actually had a G1 Whirl back in the day I wish the Generations toy were even more like the IDW comic, with cockpit parallel to the ground in bot mode, skinnier legs, thicker upper body, forearm rotors, chest guns, and rotor blades that for V-shaped wings on his back.

^This Edited by Silverstreak