The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Good news!

Went on a late lunch and decided to hit another TRU for the Grimmy-Kreo. Per chance, I asked one of the rep on the returns-aisle if they have any Grimmy-Masterpiece as I was leaving. She wasn't sure, so she asked a supervisor. The supv said they got one left.

SWEET!

The supv said they held it out from an earlier customer who was buying more than one early this morning. Guess they got some stricter one-item-only policy for Grimmy-MP.

They got it for me. The box was a little dinged on the outside, but it is sealed. $79.99. Tried to use the 20% coupon, but they said they can only use the original instead of a printed copy. Didn't argue it for now since I'm already late going back from lunch.

Bummer, right? Then I remembered I still got a valid unused gift-card in my wallet, so I used that instead.

Done. Now I have another Grimmy-MP. Some related kid's gonna be happy this x'mas with it. I hope.

:D

grimmys%2520002.JPG

:hail::bump::touche:

Guest davidwhangchoi

Good news!

Went on a late lunch and decided to hit another TRU for the Grimmy-Kreo. Per chance, I asked one of the rep on the returns-aisle if they have any Grimmy-Masterpiece as I was leaving. She wasn't sure, so she asked a supervisor. The supv said they got one left.

SWEET!

The supv said they held it out from an earlier customer who was buying more than one early this morning. Guess they got some stricter one-item-only policy for Grimmy-MP.

They got it for me. The box was a little dinged on the outside, but it is sealed. $79.99. Tried to use the 20% coupon, but they said they can only use the original instead of a printed copy. Didn't argue it for now since I'm already late going back from lunch.

Bummer, right? Then I remembered I still got a valid unused gift-card in my wallet, so I used that instead.

Done. Now I have another Grimmy-MP. Some related kid's gonna be happy this x'mas with it. I hope.

:hail::bump::touche:

congrats Treatment!

Speaking of MP Grimlock, I was in a local comic book store today and saw a Takara MP-08 with a fairly shelf-worn box marked for sale at the bargain basement price of $ 400. I had to walk past the display cabinet twice just to make sure that I wasn't seeing things.

In other news I bought a Leader Class Optimus from AoE with the intent to try and customize it, or at the very least remove the "shell" so that it looks 1/2 decent in robot mode. This is now officially the first transformable Transformer I've purchased from any of the live-action movies.

-b.

Hit 2 more TRU today but none.

I would hope MP Galvatron is next. I don't even want another Megatron until Galvatron is done first. Then Cyclonus and Scourge.

UXi you've been wanting a grimmy for awhile. Hope you find one!

No grimlock is worth 400 bucks anymore. Crazy price :D

The dudes working there were really cool (I don't think I'd been in that store for at least 5-6 years) and I wanted to broach the subject, but I decided since I wasn't going to buy it anyway then why bother.

But yeah, that price tag had me like WTF.

-b.

It was super rare up until about 3 weeks ago and they announced Preorders for a second run.

Before that it was selling for $600-1,000 bucks.

The PO is up for it's original MSRP of $250.

Only places that I know that have it so far are BBTS and TFSource.

Edited by Gakken85

It was super rare up until about 3 weeks ago and they announced Preorders for a second run.

Before that it was selling for $600-1,000 bucks.

The PO is up for it's original MSRP of $250.

Only places that I know that have it so far are BBTS and TFSource.

So, dumb question(s) here.

Why exactly would King Grimlock the Blue and Blingy have an MSRP of more than 2 1/2* that of the domestic Hasbro release/is the crown solid 24K Gold?

-b.

Ok, so the first Grimlock for Takara came out in 08. This was an Ehobby exclusive and was A. Limited and B. had a bit more paint going into its construction.

It was also the first release to have the crown.

I think the original Takara MSRP'd around $140-160?

I think it's worth it personally :D

Ok, so the first Grimlock for Takara came out in 08. This was an Ehobby exclusive and was A. Limited and B. had a bit more paint going into its construction.

It was also the first release to have the crown.

I think the original Takara MSRP'd around $140-160?

I think it's worth it personally :D

Ok, if it was/is an e-HOBBY or other exclusive then I can see an increase in price still not the jump it's being re-listed for. And just to confirm, the Takara Tomy MP-08 had a MSRP of 13,000 JPY.

All of that said you hit the nail on the head with what it's worth to someone personally. B))

-b.

And on non-Grimlock news that's PROBABLY old hat to everyone else...

So I was at the store the other day and made my usual pass by the Transformers aisle on the off chance I would be met with something other than crushing disappointment*... and saw Classics/Universe/Generations/WHATEVER Whirl. As a sucker for less anthropomorphic Transformers, I immediately picked him up.

Thought he looked a bit bland in the box. Was pretty surprised. Then I opened it and a STICKER SHEET fell out and for a few seconds I felt like I was eight years old and it was Christmas morning again.

Yes, I know stickers are a pain in the butt and factory paint apps are better and more convenient too. I bet there's way better third-party sheets, I'm sure. But WHATEVER.

It just ain't RIGHT for a toy to be ready to play straight out of the box! Stickers are part of the experience and THIS is what Transformers have been missing for the last decade!

*As a side note, this is why I've largely stopped buying Transformers. I derive no joy from "The Hunt", and hearing about all these cool toys I can't find generates little more than frustration.

I went to TRU yesterday and picked up the Grimlock 2-pack, with the recycled Energon and Voyager AoE Grimmies. I missed out on the Energon toy way back when and always wanted a copy, despite all the negatives I've read about it over the years. I had no interest in the AoE toy, since I don't like the look of Bay's designs, esp the dinobots. Well, my tune changed a bit with toys in hand, transformed, and posed. I prefer the overall look of the Energon version, but the toy's quality left somewhat to be desired. OTOH, the AoE toy is tight and very articulated in both modes, and the bot mode is kinda striking. The t-rex mode is ok, but having seen pics of the other versions, I think this is the best looking one. I had no plans of buying any AoE toys, except possibly Evasion Prime, but I kinda like this figure after all. I could live without all the spikiness, though.

I thought for a second about picking up that Kre-o Grimlock. They did a really nice job on him, even if he doesn't transform. Those Kre-o figs are cool, too. I wish they'd found a way to make these things transformable and still look good. It's possible: http://orionpax.de/23/index.php/showroom/gallery/45/KREO-vs-LEGO-Transformers Scroll down through his Showroom; he built Bruticus and Soundwave, as well. This is what Kre-o should be putting on shelves.

He was a little lost earlier and decided to wander in. B))

And I agree wholeheartedly about the ability to find Transformers. Sucks.

-b.

Are whirls still hard to find? Cus' when I went last week to look for MP grimlock they had like 6 of them at my TRU.

By the way, should I be suspicious of these "Takara MP-08 grimlock without box" listings on ebay?

:edit:

given the TRU version going for $120 on ebay, would it be worth it to just spend $200 on the 30th anniversary version with flame effect sword and coin?

Edited by anime52k8

Are whirls still hard to find? Cus' when I went last week to look for MP grimlock they had like 6 of them at my TRU.

Sh*t! My area's tru, wally's, and targey have a whole section of that blue chopper thing. Along with Rhinox.

By the way, should I be suspicious of these "Takara MP-08 grimlock without box" listings on ebay?

You should be suspicious of anything on ebay.

:edit:

given the TRU version going for $120 on ebay, would it be worth it to just spend $200 on the 30th anniversary version with flame effect sword and coin?

I read some sporadic but optimistic reports that the TRUs in SoCal are slowly getting enough Grimmy-stocks and not running out since yesterday. You guys up in NorCal should even have more stuff coming in before us down here. Try to ask a supervisor or two when you are at TRU and they may just have one or two saved away from their known scalpers.

I say just wait it out a bit. Another week or so.

In the meantime, just get Kreo-Grimlock to tide you over. He's about the same size as MP-Grimmy, anyway.

And on non-Grimlock news that's PROBABLY old hat to everyone else...

So I was at the store the other day and made my usual pass by the Transformers aisle on the off chance I would be met with something other than crushing disappointment*... and saw Classics/Universe/Generations/WHATEVER Whirl. As a sucker for less anthropomorphic Transformers, I immediately picked him up.

Thought he looked a bit bland in the box. Was pretty surprised. Then I opened it and a STICKER SHEET fell out and for a few seconds I felt like I was eight years old and it was Christmas morning again.

Yes, I know stickers are a pain in the butt and factory paint apps are better and more convenient too. I bet there's way better third-party sheets, I'm sure. But WHATEVER.

It just ain't RIGHT for a toy to be ready to play straight out of the box! Stickers are part of the experience and THIS is what Transformers have been missing for the last decade!

Glad you like Whirl, he's definitely a rare gem among Transformers over the last few years. The stickers brought out the little boy in me, too. Also I love how whoever designed him had a lot of love for the original or the Dorvack toy. Even the assortment of weapons are homages. I don't know how close you've been following Transformers news, but there is a Roadbuster coming out soon that looks like it may also come with stickers.

Around here Whirl took a little while to hit the shelves, but once he did a month or so ago, he's been plentiful.

I wish I could say the same for Cosmos as I'd love to get a second one. Him and Swerve were around for roughly a week here before they vanished.