DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

Annoyed at the moment as yesterday I had it in my cart at both Amiami and Hobby Search but couldn't check out. NY mark up is ussually about 2000-3000 Yen from retail on the first few batches they put up. After that it will go up again. The VF-171CF had an initial mark up of 2000 yen and the RVF-25 had an initial mark up of 3000 yen. But anything can happen just like now where NY is over stock on the YF-29 30th anniversary and now have it on sale with 2,500 mark up as compared to their previous mark up of 4,500.

Yeah i can't believe i paid over $300 preorder for the yf-29 back in Oct at NY and now it's there in stock for only $208. I wish i would've known this back in Oct.

Unfortunately Mecha and transformation toys are very expensive to make. So I assume it is a cost analyst situation for them.

On one hand they could produce 5,000 more toys beyond their projection of 10,000 to ease the supply of 20 different merchants and risk overproducing on an an already thin margin. Say they are only making 30-40 bucks on each toy.

Or on the other hand they could just make an initial run of 10,000 and sell what they have with projected costs, while focusing on toy lines that actually make them a lot of money and have very low costs. Actual children's toys, vinyl dolls and things like that which make them 80% percent profit.

Imagine if you made a really expensive part and some small following of people half way around the world was complaining to middle men that you're not making enough.

You wouldn't give a crap.

It's hard for us to understand in America where people trip over each other to fulfill demand with supply/chain stores like Wal-mart and Target, but it's just a different beast I guess.

Also keep in mind that they are making runs of 4 of the same toys with slightly different colors and heads. Haha.

See this is exactly what I am talking about. No offense Gakken, but people are spinning it with the whole "western" thing. The shops are in Japan. They don't care who the demographic is, as long as they can keep selling the product. When you look pretty hard in Japan on Japan serving only sites and shops, you see the same problem. Demand, but not enough product to feed that demand. If they had Alto's falling out of their asses in Japan for Japanese customers only, I don't think the scalpers would be able to mark up the pre-orders they have on Japanese serving sites only. I have friends in Tokyo that have problems locating some of these Renewals at a decent price even. So to sum it up, it looks like it is even hard to get these over there...

See this is exactly what I am talking about. No offense Gakken, but people are spinning it with the whole "western" thing. The shops are in Japan. They don't care who the demographic is, as long as they can keep selling the product. When you look pretty hard in Japan on Japan serving only sites and shops, you see the same problem. Demand, but not enough product to feed that demand. If they had Alto's falling out of their asses in Japan for Japanese customers only, I don't think the scalpers would be able to mark up the pre-orders they have on Japanese serving sites only. I have friends in Tokyo that have problems locating some of these Renewals at a decent price even. So to sum it up, it looks like it is even hard to get these over there...

Yeah, I feel you. It is demand, but demand is driven by cost in a highly cost prohibitive market.

Bandai can't take advantage of the secondary market and put them at 400 bucks or people would freak out. Idk. I don't have the answers unfortunately :D

Maybe Bandai just sucks :D

But they have no issues producing the Soul of Chogokin lines, which typically have more expensive die-cast than any Valk I've seen. Idk

Diecast is good for joints I think. and feet. haha But I think plastic will eventually be more expensive than diecast due to oil costs. You never know.

Edited by Gakken85

I have a friend in Japan who runs a small toy store. He has been able to take orders from Bandai in the past up until the first run of the DX YF-29 "Anniversary/Fokker Scheme", where Bandai simply told him that they couldn't fulfill his order request...

I thought the next release of the VF-25F would include the Super Parts... Seems strange they aren't bundling them, and the VF-25G Super Parts still haven't been announced either. :(

Yeah, I feel you. It is demand, but demand is driven by cost in a highly cost prohibitive market.

Bandai can't take advantage of the secondary market and put them at 400 bucks or people would freak out. Idk. I don't have the answers unfortunately :D

Maybe Bandai just sucks :D

But they have no issues producing the Soul of Chogokin lines, which typically have more expensive die-cast than any Valk I've seen. Idk

I don't think they should mark them up to secondary market prices at all. I agree with the SOC comment, and they use some pretty good diecast in the Metal Build series toys also. The Metal build toys do seem to go kinda fast, but you can still get them unlike valks.

Wish they'd just save everyone a ton of trouble and ditch the die-cast altogether. All it does is wind up causing loose joints, and chipped paint.

Bandeau paint sticks to diecast better than it does plastic

Yeah i can't believe i paid over $300 preorder for the yf-29 back in Oct at NY and now it's there in stock for only $208. I wish i would've known this back in Oct.

I know me too!

If you have the cash, luck, and patience you could recoup the cash. Buy another at the lower price and hope you can sell it for the price you payed for the first one. Crossed my mind, but I am too lazy lol. I missed the initial NY pre order on the first round of these before the reissue and they had already jacked the price up the next day.

I wish Bandai could get to Yamato levels as far as paint is concerned. I am always scared to play with my DX toys as I know what's up with the Bandai paint lol.

Did AE ever go live? I gave up last night after 3:00am.

That's like saying shaving with a bowling pin is better than shaving with a bowling ball. :p Neither tends to work well at all.

Personal-experience-wise, I've lost far more paint from their die-cast than anything plastic. Granted, that's partly because all the parts that would have a risk of chipping are made of metal, but that's my problem in the first place.

I don't understand the concept that die-cast is better than plastic, or means a higher quality toy. I seriously doubt any piece of the VF-25 renewals needs die-cast. It can't be molded as precicely (or in color), doesn't mesh nicely with plastic parts, and adds a lot of extra weight that honestly isn't helpful when you have joints that tend to turn into limp noodles.

People just assume it means something is stronger. But the few severe breaks I've seen on the renewals were all broken die-cast.

Edited by Chronocidal

That's like saying shaving with a bowling pin is better than shaving with a bowling ball. :p Neither tends to work well at all.

Personal-experience-wise, I've lost far more paint from their die-cast than anything plastic. Granted, that's partly because all the parts that would have a risk of chipping are made of metal, but that's my problem in the first place.

I don't understand the concept that die-cast is better than plastic, or means a higher quality toy. I seriously doubt any piece of the VF-25 renewals needs die-cast. People just assume it means something is stronger. But the few severe breaks I've seen on the renewals were all broken die-cast.

I agree with the diecast parts breaking. My second VF-4G had a part just crumble with no pressure. It was my final "Yamatoed" valk :p

Ok so back on topic: I think it's hilarious how the Bandai shenanigans effect the secondary market. I can find used VF-25F's that even may have some sort of problem for over $300 in Japan. :wacko:

If you have the cash, luck, and patience you could recoup the cash. Buy another at the lower price and hope you can sell it for the price you payed for the first one. Crossed my mind, but I am too lazy lol. I missed the initial NY pre order on the first round of these before the reissue and they had already jacked the price up the next day.

I wish Bandai could get to Yamato levels as far as paint is concerned. I am always scared to play with my DX toys as I know what's up with the Bandai paint lol.Did AE ever go live? I gave up last night after 3:00am.

Lol I am too lazy too. And as for the paint I am to scared to play with my DX toys too

Lol I am too lazy too. And as for the paint I am to scared to play with my DX toys too

What was it that made Yamato paint so tough and thick? When I had a flightpose stand damage paint, you could tell it was kinda like rubber in a way. The layer was really thick too.

If the YF-30 DX ever becomes a reality I dread to think how difficult it will be too obtain multiples or even one.

Graham

Pre-order window - 0.5 seconds. :p

This seems to be the current reality as far as Macross PT toys go, at least when Yamato was around there was some sort of competition and something else to look forward to. Now we all wait for the very same product to be put up for pre order lol.

The cycle of these releases is getting very deja vu-y.

1) Release available... GO GO GO!

2) I got one!

3) I didn't. FU Banda! I'm never buying your toys again!
4) Bandai hates Macross, they only love Gundam!
5) You guys realize these toys are available in Japan after release in stores right? A guy once posted a picture of toys in a toy store that proved it.

6) So Bandai hates just the international vendors? F YOU BANDAI!

7) A week after release, everyone who wants one gets it by hook or by crook, usually at a modest mark-up but still no where near Yamato MSRPs

8) Two months later no one can get one and the clamoring for the reissue begins anew.