Poll on all these sold out valks

CF18

118 members have voted

1. 1. Bandai DX renewal VF-25S Ozma (Jan 2012, 14,000 yen / US$170)

• Not interested in buying it.
    • Pre-ordered at a shop in Japan, got it.
    • Pre-ordered at a shop in Japan, couldn't get it.
    • Pre-ordered at a shop outside Japan, got it.
    • Pre-ordered at a shop outside Japan, couldn't get it.
    • Bought at at regular price after release.
    • Bought at at inflated price after release.
    • Waiting for reissue.
    • Waiting for a deep discount / version 3 LOL!
  2. 2. Bandai DX YF-29 Alto (May 2012 REISSUE, 17,000 yen / US$210)

• Already bought the first release at regular price.
    • Already bought the first release at inflated price.
    • Pre-ordered at a shop, regular price.
    • Pre-ordered at a shop, inflated price.
    • Waiting for another reissue.
    • Waiting for regular price when it is released.
  3. 3. Bandai DX VF-171EX Alto (June 2012, 14,000 yen / US$170)

• Pre-ordered at a shop, regular price.
    • Pre-ordered at a shop, inflated price.
    • Missed the pre-order window, still trying.
    • Missed the pre-order window, gave up.
    • Waiting for regular price when it is released.
    • Waiting for product review before deciding.
  4. 4. Your opinion on web limited items from Bandai and Yamato

• Hate Hate Hate! Boycott them!
    • Don't like them for higher price, but will buy what I really wanted.
    • Don't like them for no product review, but will buy what I really wanted.
    • Like the chance of getting low priority / risky products.
    • Like the guaranteed allocation.
    • I don't really have an opinion on this...

I am interested to see how many are actually buying or trying to buy those valk that is some how getting so hard to get, and story on which shops that are not really reliable for pre-order. Also may be we can let the main toy topic to focus on the toy instead of who is to blame for not taking our money.

I got an order the first time around for the YF-29 from amiami and placed a pre-order with Otacute for a slightly inflated price for a 2nd. I'm planning on repainting one of the YF-29s with Alclad II lacquers.

Unfortunately I missed out on the VF-25F and S reissues, yet I pre-ordered a fast pack set for Alto with nano, lol.

Luckily, I got an order in for the VF-171EX last night through AnimeExport.

I think the reason AmiAmi is selling out so fast is probably because Japan residents use them as well. Aside from that a 26% discount is huge compared to all the other sites. Apparently, AmiAmi is suppose to be monitoring purchases for the VF-171EX for duplicates... that probably explains the short three minute window opening 15 minutes later after it sold out in five minutes and possibly again a few hours later.

I like AmiAmi... I ordered my two VF-19S from them. They have excellent prices, their shipping is great because they pack everything extremely well. They're my first choice as I'm pretty much sure its the same with many other people. I've had issues with HLJ in the past where I've orders only to find that they used minimal packing materials and were easily damaged. Their response to me about the issue was basically... if I didn't like the way they ship to go shop elsewhere. I keep forgetting about 1999.co.jp and Anime Export. They are the last ones I would usually check, but I've dealt with them in the past and had good view points with them.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

I got an order the first time around for the YF-29 from amiami and placed a pre-order with Otacute for a slightly inflated price for a 2nd.

Have you bought things from Otacute before? I've ordered several things before but I've never actually had them send me an item. I wasn't charged, they just never had the item I wanted.

Have you bought things from Otacute before? I've ordered several things before but I've never actually had them send me an item. I wasn't charged, they just never had the item I wanted.

Unfortunately, I never dealt with Otacute before. I placed an order hoping they could fill it and since they didn't charge upfront I didn't mind. If they don't fill it then I guess I won't have to worry about doing a nice repaint of the YF-29 (I have plenty of Gundam models on my backlog, lol).

I think the reason AmiAmi is selling out so fast is probably because Japan residents use them as well. Aside from that a 26% discount is huge compared to all the other sites. Apparently, AmiAmi is suppose to be monitoring purchases for the VF-171EX for duplicates... that probably explains the short three minute window opening 15 minutes later after it sold out in five minutes and possibly again a few hours later.

I think us Western Macross fans live inside our own little bubble. Every once in a while we need to poke our heads out to see that, oh yeah, other people buy these too! People have been asking why did this secondary valk sell out so fast. It's Alto's 171, that's why, and it's freaking bada$$. It's been a while since a Macross show has been this popular. Also, I am happy that Amiami is monitoring the limits. I wish more companies would do this.

I think us Western Macross fans live inside our own little bubble. Every once in a while we need to poke our heads out to see that, oh yeah, other people buy these too! People have been asking why did this secondary valk sell out so fast. It's Alto's 171, that's why, and it's freaking bada$$. It's been a while since a Macross show has been this popular. Also, I am happy that Amiami is monitoring the limits. I wish more companies would do this.

While the argument can be made it's Alto's and it's a cool looking Valk that doesn't explain why they waited until after the series and two movies (plus a new Valk from the second movie) before touching on this one. Was it really that popular and Bandai was just stupid about it from the beginning? Did they realize their V1 VF-25's sucked so bad they looked at their original 171 design and realized it blew as well so they waited? If it has always been this awesome to everyone else when are they just now getting around to it?

I guess I have been lucky with my various preorders. I have both renewal Valks, the YF-29 (first release) and even prior to that the VF-27 green or grace type.

I have placed an order with ishop2go for the VF-171EX the same day they put it up, never used them before but I have paid in full and hopefully I don't miss out.

Its always great to get something limited, having said that as a fan of macross I would hate to miss out any any Valk.

I hope we all get what we want.

Good luck!

I have gotten lucky with VF-25S Renewal and YF-29, PO'ing them through Amiami at way below retail.

My luck runs out with the VF-171 though......hehehe, have to place order with a local supplier at retail price. All things considered, I can still manage....

You forgot the VF-25F.

Well there were too many questions and options already, and it's supply were much less limited then thanks to a second batch so most could get them at regular price - HLJ listed it at regular discount for a week after release, unlike the others. I remembered because I got mine from AmiAmi after release at no discount and if HLJ listed it earlier I could saved a bit.

Edited by CF18

So, why doesn't Bandai make re-releases or even new releases work like the Tamashii exclusives? Announce a pre-order date, take orders for a few weeks, then make them. Keeps them exclusive/limited like Bandai seems to want, yet people can still get them without TOO much effort.

I mean, imagine a 3rd run of the YF-29 done like this. If Bandai gets 2300 orders, then that's all the remaining demand was. If they get 14,000 then they know that's what they need to make. Everyone wins.

We could have VF-25F, VF-25S, and VF-171 re-releases done like this too. If Bandai doesn't want to dare over-produce, then they should just do "on-demand" ordering. It's what most model train makers are doing now----announcing, taking orders for a while, then making that many, with like maybe 5% more to release to the stores for general sales. If you want one--pre-order or never get it. But they WILL make as many as people pre-ordered so nobody misses out. (in theory)

PS---yes, simply making large amounts readily available at retail would be best for consumers, but I don't see that happening with how Bandai's been doing lately. But "made to order" based on the Tamashii system seems plausible.

Made to order would be best for sure, as far as I'm concerned. Bandai doesn't have to risk extra stock shelf-warming and at the same time, they make the most possible money and fans are happy.

Because only Bandai has this big problem when it comes to pre-orders.

Anyway, like i've said before, it looks to be more of a marketing play to artificially create the reputation of Bandai stuff being highly sought after/ blink and you lose type of stuff to guarantee buyers will jump on everything they put out, even people who normally have no interest in their stuff.

Ultimately they are feeding existing scalpers and creating new ones when people realize they can re-sell what they have for a tidy sum.

Not too healthy if you ask me. The only people who really stand to gain are those who were lucky enough/ have insider connections/ unethical retailers.

Welp! That 171EX availability problem is no longer a thorn in my side. I've got 2 coming at a fair price from HLJ to me now :) A big "FU*CK YOU" to you ebay scalpers from me!

Edited by xrentonx

• 2 weeks later...

Resuls are interesting. I want an Ozma but not much interested in the other two.

For web limited voted: "Don't like them for higher price, but will buy what I really wanted."